• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Anyone place an online order with gamestop recently? If so how quickly did it take to process?

I ordered a 1year ps plus code but haven't received the code or any email confirmation.

Wondering how long I should wait before contacting them?

It's been about 3 hours since I ordered

SmoothCB

Picked up my PS4 in Seattle over Christmas and just brought it back to Beijing,

Happy to report there are no issues with PSN here in Beijing and I've been able to jump into online games of COD, BF4 and NFS with no problem and no lag issues.

PSN ID: SmoothCB

I can crash the OS at will when I open screenshots with preview and then look at 5 or so in a row with R1/L1.
But it's nice that it's just a soft-crash, even a running game is still suspended afterwards and it takes only a few seconds for the OS to restart (and to send a report to Sony).

I assumed standby mode would keep the games state in memory ala Vita OS. Is there an option for this? I lost some progress the first day because of this.

Also remote play is the greatest thing to happen to my gaming life in years. Playing ass creed in bed is amazing.

Cudder

Okay, they really need to allow you to edit clips and upload while in a game. I had an amazing Battlefield online moment that I wanted to share, so I pressed the share button and tried to edit it to just that moment but it wouldn't let me. I was playing with friends so I didn't want to quit the game.

When I finished my online session I go back to the share menu, look for the clip (the thumbnail was correct and from the match I was looking for, as was the timestamp), but the actual footage was from an entirely different match. Clip lost forever.

If you do something cool in a game and want to share it but don't want to quit the match just hit the share button (or hold it if you're using Easy mode) and enter the share menu then leave and go back to the game, the PS4 will save the clip and you can edit it later.

Now the problem is that the PS4 can save a clip from an hour ago and not the one you wanted, it's really buggy at the moment. People have tweeted it to Yoshida and he seems to know about it now so hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I assumed standby mode would keep the games state in memory ala Vita OS. Is there an option for this? I lost some progress the first day because of this.

Also remote play is the greatest thing to happen to my gaming life in years. Playing ass creed in bed is amazing.
Proper Suspend/Resume is coming in a FW update, not implemented yet.

How exactly do you edit the video though?
There are a number of ways.

1) When hitting Share > Upload Video > Game > Select your video, and picking Edit on the next screeen
2) Profile > Captures > Game > Videos > Select your video, and picking Edit
3) Settings > Storage Management > Captures > Game > Videos > Select your video, and picking Edit

I think having your games suspended in standby is promised to come later on. Sucks it's not available at launch since I do it on my Vita all the time.

I really would like a recording notification, you get a screenshot icon, why not a small unobtrusive red icon letting us know we are recording video. I dunno how this feature works currently, its supposed to always record the last 15 min, but sometimes it has videos from an hour ago.

Have you guys been leaving your PS4 in Orange light standby, or hard shutting it down each time you stop using it?

I put it in standby all the time.

MMaRsu

Banned
Okay, they really need to allow you to edit clips and upload while in a game. I had an amazing Battlefield online moment that I wanted to share, so I pressed the share button and tried to edit it to just that moment but it wouldn't let me. I was playing with friends so I didn't want to quit the game.

When I finished my online session I go back to the share menu, look for the clip (the thumbnail was correct and from the match I was looking for, as was the timestamp), but the actual footage was from an entirely different match. Clip lost forever.

You dont have to quit the game to edit the clip. It says it will suspend the game but the game will keep running.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You dont have to quit the game to edit the clip. It says it will suspend the game but the game will keep running.

This is correct, during a game like BF4 though you may run the risk of being booted from the server if you take too long. You're effectively idling in-game during it.

MMaRsu

Banned
Pretty sure I got the "This application must be closed, Yes or No" dialog box.

You will, but the game will be suspended. The poster above you is correct, you will be idling during editing a video. If you take too long like in a multiplayer game you might get booted. If you are in a singleplayer game it wont get shut down.

Replicant

They need to add in the ability to edit out footages in between two desirable frames. At the moment the function is to only select the area you want and edit out the rest. But sometimes I want to edit out small portion in the middle of the footage and keep the rest.

Cudder

You will, but the game will be suspended. The poster above you is correct, you will be idling during editing a video. If you take too long like in a multiplayer game you might get booted. If you are in a singleplayer game it wont get shut down.

Then that dialog screen needs to be completely taken out if the application doesn't actually get closed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Then that dialog screen needs to be completely taken out if the application doesn't actually get closed.

It doesn't say Closed, it says the game will be Suspended, which is what we're talking about here. This suspend/resume feature is the same one that will in the future be available from bootup of the console. Currently it's only available during edits of videos while you're in a play session.

Knight77

Guys any info about this?

1. If I am already PSN Plus member and I use the code given with the console, what happens? Does it works? Add more days to the deadline of mines?

Another thing: are everyone agree that thropyes are noto posted automatically on Facebook, right? Looks like it is bugged and not working after last FW update.

Melchiah

wo8lxDCl.jpg

I put a wooden plate between the PS4 and the metallic shelf, and as a result the system seems to run a bit cooler and quieter. Although, I haven't yet tested it for a longer period of time, but about an hour of KZ:SF and Resogun on two evenings didn't make it run as loud as before.

Cudder

It doesn't say Closed, it says the game will be Suspended, which is what we're talking about here. This suspend/resume feature is the same one that will in the future be available from bootup of the console. Currently it's only available during edits of videos while you're in a play session.

Fair enough, guess I didn't read it that closely. Still though, take out the screen. It's a given the game's going to be running in the background when you press share, or press the PS button. No need to tell me.

XJF

Every time I launch Netflix I can't close or change apps without it crashing my console. What's up with that? I still have to use my ps3 for Netflix because the X1 netflix app is trash.

Edit: nvm, it must have been addressed in the most recent update, no longer causes crash!!! Woot!

Add me: XjapanFOREVER

Ugh, sorry to hear that. I'll likely have to do the same. I guess I deal with Sony and not Amazon then?

You could do either, my dog chewed up the piece of shit mic that came with it so I called sony just in case amazon had an issue of me not returning the mic. Plus sony overnighted and did Saturday delivery on the box so everything should go quick.

Chatted with amazon to see if they had a console they could send me right away. She apologized and saint no. And refunded me 80$. Fucking love amazon!

Pandemic

Question, when I look at my profile it has my full name, and when I look at my activities, it also says my full name. Yet when I look at my privacy settings it says that it'll only show my PSN name.

I'm guessing others will only see my PSN name, yet I'll see my full name?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Question, when I look at my profile it has my full name, and when I look at my activities, it also says my full name. Yet when I look at my privacy settings it says that it'll only show my PSN name.

yeah i think that's how it works

Yes and you can test it by befriending yourself with another account of yours.

I was quite cautious in the beginning as it wasn't really clear to me how it works.

Basically, when you start up it says that you can add your full name and connect to fb so that other people see it, but it doesn't explicitly mention that NO ONE (but yourself) will see shit until you give each person permission to (which I would only do if those people already know your name/fb in real life).
On fb, your friends won't see your PSN name either (tested it at least for uploads) and you can even upload to a custom list of friends so that e.g. only the actual gamers see your stuff.

In addition, like you said you can still set it to display-PSN only (though you won't be able to send/ receive? those name-request messages either) as well as enter whatever you want in the name fields even when e.g. already connected to facebook.

Hey there guys and girls!

Got my PS4 delivered on Christmas Eve, even though the Order Status said it won't be delivered until the end of January! :))
Nice holiday surprise I suppose.

I'm still waiting for Knack and KZ:SF to be delivered (I obviously didn't expect to get my PS4 this early so I ended without any games under the Christmas tree) but I bought ACIV digitally. Very pleased by the overall experience with the system so far, apart from the short PSN downtime. Getting cryptic error codes makes me nervous, I thought something was wrong with my network at first....

Anyone who'd like to add a PS4 freshman? :)) ID is zerphet! Cheers.

BTW who would GAF suggest to follow on PSN? Any known personalities/developers with public PSN accounts?

knock on wood, my PS4 has run flawlessly...but I picked up Lego Marvel for my kids and that game has bugged out half a dozen times now

Yeah, the game has been ropey as hell for me; constant crashes, three-hit bosses not accepting the third hit (characters just stand in the middle bobbing), switches not appearing/working until I redo the whole level.

Doubt I will be going back to it once I've finished the story, don't fancy losing a save during a brick hunt.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've just discovered the most amazing thing about my PS4:

I can charge my DS3 with my PS4 in Standby.

Thank you, Based Cerny.

Had to turn this feature off because it makes the PS4 buzz/hum in standby mode. It's not loud by any means, but it still annoys the hell out of me. Turning off USB standby power makes this noise go away.

gais
what do I look for if I need a new power cord for my ps3lim & 4?

You just get a cord with an unpolarized C7 connector, there's nothing special about it.

ibpWmuN7cy9qkp.jpg

(The polarized verison, which you don't want, has one round and one flat side.)

Rey

So I have made a facebook account so I can choose my profile pic. But in the "whats new" drop down section and other parts its still showing my psn avatar? Is that supposed to be like that?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

This depends on what system language you are using. I know for a fact the Swedish translation is fucked up, as it says the game will be closed both when it really will (such as when you switch to another game) and when it will actually just be suspended. In both situations the word "stängas" ("closed") is used, which cannot be interpreted as anything other than the game being shut down. There is no distinction made between these two scenarios in the Swedish translation.

And it's not just when editing videos, game suspension also happens when starting an app such as Netflix, going into certain system settings, etc. I was surprised to find out that starting Netflix doesn't actually close the running game even though my PS4 says it will, and others I know have been surprised when I've told them as well. This is something Sony needs to fix, because they're making people not understand that a game being suspended but not closed is even a thing.

So I have made a facebook account so I can choose my profile pic. But in the "whats new" drop down section and other parts its still showing my psn avatar? Is that supposed to be like that?

Yeah, I also see my PSN avatar here and there. It's showing as my profile pic in the top menu, where I would have thought my FB image would appear. I do see my FB image when I actually open my profile though.

Rey

Yeah, I also see my PSN avatar here and there. It's showing as my profile pic in the top menu, where I would have thought my FB image would appear. I do see my FB image when I actually open my profile though.

I do see my FB image in the top menu without going in it actually. But everywhere else I see the psn avatar. Also my friend who can see my real name sees my avatar in the whats new section and not my FB photo. Strange stuff.

Top Bottom