• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4-PS5 Account Sharing with a friend.

marquimvfs

Title is self explanatory. I have a PS4 with some digital games, no PSN. A Friend just bought a PS5 and pays for the PSN (the highest tier in Brazil, I don't remember the name). If we share accounts, how is it gonna work? What benefits we will be able to use from another account? Can he play my PS4 games? Can I download the ps4 versions of the PS5 cross buy that he have? Can I play on-line with his plus using my account (play on-line is not a priorityfor me, but, if it works, good)? Can we play the same game at the same time? (No matter if on-line or offline only). What are the risks and the downsides? Do I (or he) have to sign out everytime there's some of us already playing? My research on the matter showed different answers for some of those questions, and some remain without explanation. Any help answering them are appreciated.

Edit: Thanks mod for fixing the title.

Last edited:

mitch1971

I used to share with a friend on ps4. We had no problems sharing games or even playing them at the same time. The initial set up is simple to do and takes no time at all. Once that is done, it's plain sailing. As for ps5 to ps4 game sharing, I can only assume that if you can play mp/coop with cross gen consoles normally within the game, then you can still do it from a game sharing perspective. SP should not be affected. The only time you need to communicate with each other is when one of you has to download a game the other person has bought; as you can't have one profile signed in twice on two seperate consoles. If you can communicate via text on your phone (you are friends after all) you just have to organise a time when one of you starts the initial download. Takes seconds. You don't have to wait for the download to finish to sign back in. Once the download has started you can both sign back into your respective profiles and continue.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

I used to share with a friend on ps4. We had no problems sharing games or even playing them at the same time. The initial set up is simple to do and takes no time at all. Once that is done, it's plain sailing. As for ps5 to ps4 game sharing, I can only assume that if you can play mp/coop with cross gen consoles normally within the game, then you can still do it from a game sharing perspective. SP should not be affected. The only time you need to communicate with each other is when one of you has to download a game the other person has bought; as you can't have one profile signed in twice on two seperate consoles. If you can communicate via text on your phone (you are friends after all) you just have to organise a time when one of you starts the initial download. Takes seconds. You don't have to wait for the download to finish to sign back in. Once the download has started you can both sign back into your respective profiles and continue.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your answer. Do you used to share using a PS5 with a PS4? Several people told me that account sharing works differently than sharing PS4-PS4

Thanks for your answer. Do you used to share using a PS5 with a PS4? Several people told me that account sharing works differently than sharing PS4-PS4
The fact that you have different consoles makes thing easier. The whole process requires you to swap primary consoles (so your console is his primary, his console is your primary). However since you are using different consoles, you can keep your PS4 your PS4 primary and make his PS5 your PS5 primary, and he can keep his PS5 his PS5 primary and make your PS4 his PS4 primary. That way you should have pretty much full access to everything with little complications, and can even play games offline, though you might need to sign into the other account to start downloads for games that the other account owns. Once they are downloaded though you should be able to even start them offline since the console would be the primary one for the account.

i been doing this for awhile. U will have all benefits. U can download any ps4 version of his ps5 games (assuming he bought a crossgen version or it came with both versions)
I believe u can use multiplayer? but im not 100% certain only because my friend doesn't play online games so thats never come up. But i do know that u can use their PS+ sub. Like if they have the premium tier of PSplus or whatever all those games would be available to u too. Only real difference is u would have to sign in to their profile first and start the download of the game, then switch back to ur profile.

and yes they will also have access to ur games.

only downsides is u can't be on the same profile at the same time. So say they are playing a game, and u login to their account to start a download of one of their games, it would boot them off. And if u lose internet or something u probably won't be able to play anything. Everything will be locked.

but everything else is a yes. U can playthe same game. U can play the game together etc

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Only the primary console can play the games while offline, any other consoles have to be online and signed into the account (both cannot be at the same time, so you can't play together in online games etc).

Only the primary console can play the games while offline, any other consoles have to be online and signed into the account (both cannot be at the same time, so you can't play together in online games etc).
my friend that i gameshare with isn't a multiplayer type of gamer, but we have played some of my games together. I know for a fact we've played Avengers & Bloodborne together. Both of which are games i own. That i gameshare with her

RoadHazard

Gold Member
my friend that i gameshare with isn't a multiplayer type of gamer, but we have played some of my games together. I know for a fact we've played Avengers & Bloodborne together. Both of which are games i own. That i gameshare with her

Hmm, I guess maybe on the primary console you can play those games while logged into a different PSN account.

i been doing this for awhile. U will have all benefits. U can download any ps4 version of his ps5 games (assuming he bought a crossgen version or it came with both versions)
I believe u can use multiplayer? but im not 100% certain only because my friend doesn't play online games so thats never come up. But i do know that u can use their PS+ sub. Like if they have the premium tier of PSplus or whatever all those games would be available to u too. Only real difference is u would have to sign in to their profile first and start the download of the game, then switch back to ur profile.

and yes they will also have access to ur games.

only downsides is u can't be on the same profile at the same time. So say they are playing a game, and u login to their account to start a download of one of their games, it would boot them off. And if u lose internet or something u probably won't be able to play anything. Everything will be locked.

but everything else is a yes. U can playthe same game. U can play the game together etc
What are you going to do with all the free time you accumulated by not typing y and o?

marquimvfs

Thanks for the inputs, folks. Given than it won't cause any harm to both os us, I'm going to try it later today and will post my results here.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Incorrect.

Hmm, I guess maybe on the primary console you can play those games while logged into a different PSN account.
Correct.

And since this a ps5 to ps4 situation, both accounts can be primary.

Top Bottom