• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold "more than twice as many" units as Xbox One, new court papers show

Kiraly

As spotted by GameLuster and translated via Google Translate - so bear with me; this may not be a 100 per cent word-for-word translation - page 17/18 (paragraph 46) of Microsoft's own published court papers state that "Sony has surpassed Microsoft in terms of console sales and installed [sic] base, having sold more than twice as many Xbox [One units] in the last generation".

Back in January, Sony confirmed that more than 116m PS4 consoles have now been sold worldwide, and recently gave a lifetime sales total of 117.2 million, making it one of the most successful consoles of all time, if not quite eclipsing its most popular system, PS2. And while Microsoft has been more reticent about its sales figures, if the claims in the Brazillian court papers are right, that means Microsoft's Xbox One system could have sold around half that amount: somewhere in the region of 50-60 million.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Mindshare can't be purchased. It can only be built. Hats off to PlayStation and the PS4. What a wild gen they had. What a bevy of incredible games.

nathan-drake-cheers.gif

Last edited:

leo-j

117M vs 55-59M ?

Pretty big drop from 360. But they are doing well now still being the only available to purchase console (seriesS).

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
End of an ERA. Such a sales lead won't happen this gen, not that console sales on the own are that important anymore.

If the Activision deal goes through things won't be the same.

It's actually surprising the Xbox one did as well as it did considering all the issues it had. Imagine what Xbox can do with there shit together?

bitbydeath

Mindshare can't be purchased. It can only be built. Hats off to PlayStation and the PS4. What a wild gen they had. What a bevy of incredible games.

nathan-drake-cheers.gif
I'd argue Microsoft have dominated mind share for quite some time. Sony have been riding their own coat tails since 2018. They've allowed Microsoft to really grow into the market and made the process of increasing market share much easier.

Your source is nearly a year old, last time i checked PS5 is at 21+million and xbox series at 15million+

In fairness the easily available, £250 brand new Series S model inflates those numbers significantly. If Sony had a cheaper budget PS5 that was less powerful than the main unit and easily available, I'm sure they'd sell gangbusters.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'd argue Microsoft have dominated mind share for quite some time. Sony have been riding their own coat tails since 2018. They've allowed Microsoft to really grow into the market and made the process of increasing market share much easier.

I wouldn't say "dominated" by any stretch but they certainly clawed back a chunk. But Sony has continued to deliver in the games department and that is where most of the "mind share" comes from. Microsoft has made smart decisions since Phil Spencer took over and the changes are paying dividends. Overall, the two companies are extremely competitive and that's a good thing.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
In fairness the easily available, £250 brand new Series S model inflates those numbers significantly. If Sony had a cheaper budget PS5 that was less powerful than the main unit and easily available, I'm sure they'd sell gangbusters.
That’s the entire point of Series S take market share, it’s not for the gamers it’s to dominate the market, slowly but surely it’ll get closer.

Dolodolo

End of an ERA. Such a sales lead won't happen this gen, not that console sales on the own are that important anymore.

If the Activision deal goes through things won't be the same.

It's actually surprising the Xbox one did as well as it did considering all the issues it had. Imagine what Xbox can do with there shit together?
Interestingly, are you going to write this garbage in each branch, not confirmed by anything other than a shortage of more powerful equipment?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Your source is nearly a year old, last time i checked PS5 is at 21+million and xbox series at 15million+

Thats like saying if xbox one had sony first party and was more powerful and the same price it would sell gangbusters.

Sonu didnt do a seriesS like console and therefore wont reap the benefits and negetives, where as Microsoft will.

Sosokrates

I wouldn't say "dominated" by any stretch but they certainly clawed back a chunk. But Sony has continued to deliver in the games department and that is where most of the "mind share" comes from. Microsoft has made smart decisions since Phil Spencer took over and the changes are paying dividends. Overall, the two companies are extremely competitive and that's a good thing.
While I think Sony has done a bit better in the games department, Xbox have been releasing some very good stuff too. (Flight sim, infinite, FH5, psychonauts 2)

Sonys current superior mindshare is a result of the PS4s success.
COD is the most popular online game on PS4, once thats on gamepass and Microsoft have marketing the mindshare will be more even, may even shift majority for XBOX.

Buying zenimax + acti-blizz is a big deal, big enough to shift mindshare and sony knows this.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds in line with what most people seem to have thought.

All in all a pretty successful gen for Xbox despite screwing up to the degree that they did. 50M+ is a lot more than quite a few of Nintendo systems.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

I still have no idea what u are refering to.
On what basis are you saying that xbox will be able to seriously close the gap with the Playstation?
On the fact that they bought Activision and Bethesda?
Only on this one?

Because we do not have objective statistics due to lack of equipment in stores other than xbox series S

What do you not understand in my words?

Sosokrates

On what basis are you saying that xbox will be able to seriously close the gap with the Playstation?
On the fact that they bought Activision and Bethesda?
Only on this one?

Because we do not have objective statistics due to lack of equipment in stores other than xbox series S

What do you not understand in my words?
The same reasons playstation gained double the insallbase of Xbox.

• Games
  • Hardware
  • Services
  • Marketing

If the xbox one sold 50million with its issues, imagine how much better the series consoles will do. And some of those customers will be PS4 customers.

Top Bottom