• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold "more than twice as many" units as Xbox One, new court papers show

Kumomeme

Surprised Meme GIF

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
L
I never said you said it was the only thing. You certainly implied the series s is a move that is making it sell gangbuster though:

All I'm saying is that the 'issues' that people say the xbox one had are no different in the series s and that has no problem selling, namely weaker hardware, no second hand sales, online DRM etc. IMO the xbox one didn't have the issues you mention with "hardware", "services" or "games" in comparison to a series s. The major thing I would attribute it to doing better than the One is the price and marketing but mainly cheap price.
Let it go, its well documented history that the xbox one had various issues besides marketing.

And, for the seriesS's "issues" to be comparable it would need to be the only gen9 system Microsoft released.
The existence of the XSX mitagates the "issues" xss has, which I have already explained... But you continue to ignore because you cant debate in good faith.

Last edited:

Lasha

Mindshare can't be purchased. It can only be built. Hats off to PlayStation and the PS4. What a wild gen they had. What a bevy of incredible games.

nathan-drake-cheers.gif

Sony was handed the generation because of Microsoft's abysmal handling of the Xbone and Nintendo's decision to head in a completely different direction entirely. PS4 became the default FIFA, Madden, COD console without any real challenger. Sony is now sweating bullets because it knows that the masses will follow COD wherever it goes.

FritzJ92

On Microsoft worst gen they sold 50 million. That’s impressive regardless how abysmal it is compared to Xbox 360 or PS4. With their shit together and affordability they can easily surpass that. Add in COD, Betheada and a healthy first party output with proper marketing and they’ll be really close to finally cracking that 100 million barrier

S0ULZB0URNE

The last time I made that joke the mods gave me a 3 month warning for "infantile" console warring even though Xbox is my preferred place to play. I'm not convinced 2023 will be Xbox's year. They have all of these studios and haven't been able to get as much out the door as I had hoped. I'm betting 2024 is when they'll get a consistent cadence going. Until then they'll rely on dumping Activision's back catalog to Gamepass to keep the machine fed.
1st of all I am not joking.
2nd I didn't mean it in a bad or trolling way.

Finally...
I made the statement based on lineup vs lineups.(IMO)
Games might get delayed or end up bad and we can't forget about Nintendo.

DavidGzz

Dang, only 2 to 1 after Mattrick, a weaker more expensive console, and a lacking first-party output? Didn't people think it was closer to 3 to 1? Doesn't bode well for the fans telling me it will be 3 to 1 if not 5 to 1 this gen. Fat chance of that. XSX will end up being the second coming of 360 but better. This is a great thing for competition. From Sony improving PS+ to spending money cockblocking Game Pass. They are as concerned as the laugh reaction fanboys when they see any positive Xbox news.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Switch will get no love despite squashing PS4 by Christmas.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Anger GIF by TV4
And? releasing near the end of gen when the rest of the consoles sales are slowing and competing with no one else in the handheld market has its benefits. Guess we have to acknowledge it as a consolation prize after the Wii U got completely destroyed. But then again most of the switch library is wii u ports.

ParaSeoul

Dang, only 2 to 1 after Mattrick, a weaker more expensive console, and a lacking first-party output? Didn't people think it was closer to 3 to 1? Doesn't bode well for the fans telling me it will be 3 to 1 if not 5 to 1 this gen. Fat chance of that. XSX will end up being the second coming of 360 but better. This is a great thing for competition. From Sony improving PS+ to spending money cockblocking Game Pass. They are as concerned as the laugh reaction fanboys when they see any positive Xbox news.
It was 3-1 for the first half of the gen,dropping kinect and the S helped them. Being outsold 2-1 is still not a good look.

Last edited:

Lol @ only

Lasha

A lot of people here posting from the States or the UK don't understand how one sided the "console war" is in some places. 94.54% of all consoles in my country are Playstations.
Console war was always an American thing. The US is usually the market that decides the victor. Consoles are the minority in many places compared to PC/Mobile.

Yeah...it's not like Sony has: Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2, probably Factions, another MLB and god knows what else is going to be announced since this is what we know it's coming
MLB 22 is on Xbox/Gamepass. All thats missing is PC.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No surprises here, everyone already knew this. One thing though, does MS get any credit for PC game sales? I mean during that period there had to a while bunch of people who played MS games on PC instead of buying an xbox.

SeraphJan

This gen is going to be much more interest, its interest to see if it replicate the 7th gen where they basically ends up in tie, it benefits the consumer the most when the competition is fierce. Sony would never had release that many great games at the end of PS3's life cycle if not for how fierce the competition was from Microsoft

Last edited:

Zug

Here in France it's Nintendo and Playstation, and it has always been that way. Xbox never passed the "challenger" phase, and they probably are only there anymore because Microsoft keeps pouring money to stay in the market.
The complete lack of PS5s anywhere for a year and half did them some good though, it's the default choice for a "next gen" console.

"Its issues", what issues? you mean no second hand sales, online DRM and weaker hardware? Isn't that what Series S pretty much is now?
Not sure if you're trolling, but anyway, the core difference between the Series S and the Xbox One is that the Series S sits at a rather attractive price point, while the One was actually more expensive than the PS4, while being the weaker console.
Another big difference is that Gamepass adds even more value to the Series S, while Xbox One had nothing like that.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
50-60m for a console that I can barely think of three exclusive games (Halo, Gears of War, erm....) isn't too bad I guess.

117M vs 55-59M ?

Pretty big drop from 360. But they are doing well now still being the only available to purchase console (seriesS).
PS2 vs Xbox OG was similar.

X360 was only as succesfull as it was due to a year head-start and Sony messing up with PS3.

Some people really overestimate Xbox' relevance outside the US and UK.

Last edited:

Three

Not sure if you're trolling, but anyway, the core difference between the Series S and the Xbox One is that the Series S sits at a rather attractive price point, while the One was actually more expensive than the PS4, while being the weaker console.
Another big difference is that Gamepass adds even more value to the Series S, while Xbox One had nothing like that.
Which is exactly what I said if you keep reading. Xbox one also has/had gamepass if you didn't know.

Last edited:
50m isn't even a bad number. Don't know why Microsoft were so ashamed to ever talk about xbox one sales. Well apart from when they launched xbox one s and outsold PS4 for 3 months straight. They couldn't wait to tell us about it.

Three

Nah, the gen was essentially over by the time Xbox got Gamepass. The day one strategy only happened in 2018, almost five years after Xbox One launched.
I'm sorry but thats ridiculous. Gamepass existed since June 2017 and March 2018 Sea of theives launched day one.

That means xbox one launch date till gamepass launch was 3yrs 6 months, and from gamepass launch till xbox Series launch 3yrs 5 months.

Xbox one had gamepass almost exactly half the gen. 3yrs and 5 months left isn't exactly 'the gen was essentially over'. Half the gen was left and ironically that second half is what people say was the game drought of xbox that gen.

I'm sorry but thats ridiculous. Gamepass existed since June 2017 and March 2018 Sea of theives launched day one.

That means xbox one launch date till gamepass launch was 3yrs 6 months, and from gamepass launch till xbox Series launch 3yrs 5 months.

Xbox one had gamepass almost exactly half the gen. 3yrs and 5 months left isn't exactly 'the gen was essentially over'. Half the gen was left and ironically that second half is what people say was the game drought of xbox that gen.
Back then, Gamepass wasn't nearly at the level it is now. As you said, the first day one game only came 4.5 years after Xbox One launch. The first 3rd party day one games arrived in October 2019, roughly six (!) years after Xbox One release. And yes, the gen was actually over by then. Gamepass had little to no impact on that gen.

Top Bottom