• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 VS PS5 | How do they compare (first 6 months)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Let's compare how the two fared in the first 6 months

unknown.png

PS4 release date: November 15th, 2013
PS5 release date: November 19th, 2020

N°1: The games Advantage PS5

Number of PS4 exclusives released in the first 6 months: 3
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- Knack
- Infamous: Second Son

Number of PS5 exclusives released in the first 6 months: 4
- Astro's Playroom
- Destruction AllStars
- Demon's Souls
- Returnal

N°2: The sales Advantage PS5 (apparently)

It's difficult to get a precise number, this is the best I could find:
PS4: 7 millions consoles sold (estimation) in the first 6 months.
PS5: Passed 6 millions units sold in March (estimation).

N°3: The Price Advantage PS4
Console:
PS4: $399
PS5: $499

Accessories:
- Headset:
PS4 $79.99

PS5 $99

- Controller:
PS4: $49.99 (need confirmation)
PS5: $69.99

- Storage:
PS4: Not supported at this time
PS5: Special SSD and different solution between storage (starting at $100) and the playability of the games on that drive (no price yet)

- Games:
PS4: $29.99 - $59.99
PS5: $39.99 - $69.99

N°4: Backward compatibility Advantage PS5
Sony has always been complicated when it come to BC, and never offered full BC since the PS2:
PS4: short answer is no, however, you can stream old games with the Playstation Now.
PS5: on the other hand, the PS5 is backward compatible with the overwhelming majority of PS4 games (more than 4,000 titles). NO BC for PS1, 2 and 3

N°5: Cross-gen experience Advantage PS5
There were plenty of cross-gen games available for the PS4 and it's a trend that seems to continue over the generations.
Whether it's a paid update or a free patch, it's done on a case-by-case basis.

Don't jump on my throat I'll modify this post later as informations comes with more precision and your suggestions/corrections.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Resogun was the only thing good about the PS4 in the first 6 months and you missed it.

PS5 definitely had a better launch window.
Thx, if you think about other games let me know !
Edit: in fact it was also released on PS3 so that's why it's not here

He also missed PS5 games
If you think about something like Miles Morales, it's also on PS4

Last edited:

kyliethicc

PS4 also lacked any back compat at launch. PS5 has full PS4 BC and some PS2 games, plus VR at launch. Plus games like GT6 and Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus launched around Nov 2013 but were only on PS3, which sucked for new PS4 owners without PS3s. Cross gen games are annoying in respect to seeing what the new system can do, but at least every PS5 owner can enjoy any PS4 game they want from day 1.

Not to mention lots of free upgrades, better performance, and PS Plus Collection of games.

And the PS5 DE is just $400. And you're incorrect, the DualShock 4 is $60 not $50.

PS5 launch is far far superior.

Mabdia

Well... around the time, I haven't had a PS4 nor now I have a PS5. All I can say is about the hype that I had about both in the first month since both was revieled of the console and the hype to get one in the future.

PS4 was a machine of "This is for the Players" Their past around the time of the reveal and their future showed to me that was going to have a ton of exclusives.

A lot of games announced and we have a way to say that the console was fallowing a path to the "Greatness Awaits". The Key here os that we used to know what to wait from Playstation with the PS4.

Moving forward to 2020... Sony have announced some of it exclusives was no more exclusives. Some releases to PC... Damn! Even for Xbox and while PS users has to pay $70 for a game, or I don't even know how much MLB cost, yet it will be way more than Xbox users will pay for it. And we have all that bullshit about censorship, the problem with Japan Studio and the possible cancellation of Days Gone 2.

There is a chance that the console will have no exclusives and that their games will be released on PC. And now all that shitstorm about no Updates on PS3 games and the possibility about the Cmos batery problem on both.

All that being said, I have to add that I was a PlayStation fan since 1995. I Had Every PlayStation console since the first (almost, I just don't have PSP) to PS4. Even though, I just can't have any hype for PS5, besides it be a 60FPS machine for PS4 games. And to do that, the recent history shows that PC can do that as they are releasing theirs games to PC.

At this moment, I just can't see a single reason to care about PlayStation 5. For the ones who have one and are enjoy it, I'm happy for you. But looks like that will be a party that I'll never feel like I've been invited. That's why in a some weird way, I'm happy that they are releasing their games to PC and I hope that GT7 gets a PC release right after the console.

BeardGawd

Banned
Excluding 3rd party then PS5 wins.

Including 3rd party then PS4 wins.

PS4 3rd party games were significantly ahead of XB1 versions in both resolution and framerate. PS5 vs XSX on the other hand has XSX significantly ahead on some games and tied in others.

While I see all your points as pluses for the PS5, I recall how coming from the PS3 playing a game like Killzone Shadow Fall on launch night (with rezogun) just showed me I was really on to something.

The PS5 seems more like a polished PS4 in many ways, most of the benefits to me so far are the improved old games, I mean the packin game may as well be a PS4 game with crude rumble and a few minor graphics downgrade...

But what makes it kind of bittersweet to me are the os regressions, the PS4 dashboard is quick, never gets in your way, lets you organize your stuff... The new one has small icons for the games always pop that second menu when in game, it's generally annoying (but I'm finding benefits, like easy access to switching your sound output).

Maybe I should get Spiderman just to loom at those mirror windows and shut up.

Unknown?

Thx, if you think about other games let me know !
Edit: in fact it was also released on PS3 so that's why it's not here

If you think about something like Miles Morales, it's also on PS4
Why does it matter if it's also on PS4? Many people said GT6 should have been cross gen on PS4 instead of just PS3. GT6 at launch would have been big for PS4 despite also being on PS3.

And all this during a global pandemic, while PS5 is supply constrained. I did noticed they are delivering faster updates to the OS compared to the PS4.
It's 2021. I can't believe they take 2 months to deliver a fucking update, even Nintendo puts them to shame.

PS4 also lacked any back compat at launch. PS5 has full PS4 BC and some PS2 games, plus VR at launch. Plus games like GT6 and Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus launched around Nov 2013 but were only on PS3, which sucked for new PS4 owners without PS3s. Cross gen games are annoying in respect to seeing what the new system can do, but at least every PS5 owner can enjoy any PS4 game they want from day 1.

Not to mention lots of free upgrades, better performance, and PS Plus Collection of games.

And the PS5 DE is just $400. And you're incorrect, the DualShock 4 is $60 not $50.

That pretty much tells you how PS4 was way superior.

No BC and still sold 7 million. If the PS5 wouldn't have BC what would you play? There are no games lmao. It would've been sitting on the shelf just as the XSX. BC alone is practically selling these consoles.

I haven't known anybody that has buy a new console to play new games.

Clover904

You have to add Spiderman Miles Morales and Sackboy to the launch lineup. They both look, play and feel amazing on ps5. They may be cross-gen, but they both were made to show what the ps5 and DualSense can do. Add an asterisk if you must, but they deserve to be on the list of ps5 launch titles.

Edit: ps4 also launched with PlayRoom.

Last edited:

Unknown?

No BC and still sold 7 million. If the PS5 wouldn't have BC what would you play? There are no games lmao. It would've been sitting on the shelf just as the XSX. BC alone is practically selling these consoles.

I haven't known anybody that has buy a new console to play new games.
Were you living under a rock during PS4 launch? People were saying exactly what you were saying about PS5 now! The reason it sold without BC is the previous consoles were so OLD that people where hungry for new.

Last edited:

I haven't know anybody that has buy a new console to play new games.
Were you living under a rock during PS4 launch? People were saying exactly what you were saying about PS5 now! The reason it sold without BC is the previous consoles were so OLD that people where hungry for new.
Yeah, which is not the case this gen, nobody was asking for new consoles. Xbox One X was just released not a long time ago just like the Pro.

Unknown?

I haven't know anybody that has buy a new console to play new games.

Yeah, which is not the case this gen, nobody was asking for new consoles. Xbox One X was just released not a long time ago just like the Pro.
That's debatable but regardless, doesn't change the fact that you are saying the same exact thing about the PS5 people were saying about PS4 at the time.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Why does it matter if it's also on PS4? Many people said GT6 should have been cross gen on PS4 instead of just PS3. GT6 at launch would have been big for PS4 despite also being on PS3.
You have to add Spiderman Miles Morales and Sackboy to the launch lineup. They both look, play and feel amazing on ps5. They may be cross-gen, but they both were made to show what the ps5 and DualSense can do. Add an asterisk if you must, but they deserve to be on the list of ps5 launch titles.

Edit: ps4 also launched with PlayRoom.
I choose to put he games that are truly exclusives. I think it's better for the comparaison.
And Astro's Playroom is on the list.

Codes 208

The ps4 being more readily available is the one thing it really had over the PS5 in comparison. Oh, and pricing too I guess. And memory space, the ps4’s 500gb does seem pretty poultry but it was at a time when games rarely maxed out above 20gb and the extra 360*gb on PS5 barely feels like enough for games being 60-200gb these days.

but everything else from launch games, features (BC specifically) and the controller is just so much better in the PS5 in comparison.

overall I’d say the PS5, but it’s not a huge advantageous win mind you.

Last edited:

slade

The PS5 has been better for me. Miles Morales was pretty good and it occupied the same space inFamous did in the early PS4 period. Other then that, I've been playing PS4 titles like Ys IX, Sakura Wars and 13 Sentinels. Gonna start Nioh 2 soon The fact that I can play last gen titles in better fidelity on PS5 has been a godsend. It has covered the drought that I would be going through if I only had PS5 titles to rely on. But even in that, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank make the first year of the PS5 better then the PS4.

EDMIX

PS5 had a better launch

Agreed.

BC.
Out of the gate with a beloved IP with the remake of Demon Souls (If Sony trust Bluepoint games with such as massive launch title, they are for sure buying them, or should)
New IP with Returnal
Established IP with Ratchet
Spiderman
A shit load of free games.

They had a more solid launch with PS5. They hype level is also just crazy extreme because of how wild PS4's generation was.

So when you have a generation with shit like God Of War, Horizon, Death Stranding, Ratchet remake, Spiderman and then end it with shit like Ghost Of Tsushima, FFVII remake, The Last Of Us 2 moving record units, awards etc, it brings the hype levels to something godlike by the time PS5's launch is coming and they are showing you Spiderman, Ratchet, Horizon 2, God Of War etc

The difference is, you got a taste of what they have in store when they have a jam packed 2020, its literally a marketing campaign to say "like what we did this year? Well buy a PS5 to get dem sequels" lol So I'm not shocked that you are seeing PS5 move those types of units, after PS4.....it only makes the hype greater then PS4's. Many of us got PS4 at launch not knowing of a FFVII remake or God Of War reboot or SPIDERMAN IP etc, so if PS4 was a day 1 for some, PS5 was always going to be a day 1 for many more after the gen they just had with PS4.

I think if they release what they have planned this year, they will do just fine compared to PS4's first year.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Excluding 3rd party then PS5 wins.

Including 3rd party then PS4 wins.

PS4 3rd party games were significantly ahead of XB1 versions in both resolution and framerate. PS5 vs XSX on the other hand has XSX significantly ahead on some games and tied in others.
lol, how this is even relevant in regards to the OP is wild. Reading the first 2 things you posted, I was not expecting to see that last part.

OP....the DE is actually available and being bought.

If price advantage goes to PS4, might as well add the PS5 DE for total price or something. Or this is more of a draw. Because it wasnt 6 million regular PS5 that got bought.

Last edited:

skit_data

KZ:SF was very impressive, but not my cup of tea

Demon’s Souls Remake was a wet dream come true and is so far the best launch title of any PS console IMO.

Edit: The fact that i can also enjoy PS4 games at higher fidelity and framerate simply bodies the PS4 launch completely. I cant see how anyone can argue with that.

Last edited:

Tg89

PS5 doing really good all things considering. If it wasn't for the onslaught of rumors and GamePass spamming people would be a lot less freaked out rn.
Yeah, I think the only argument that PS5 didn't have a much better launch than PS4 is that PS4 was more ahead of its direct competitor at the time. That has less to do with the PS5 than it does to do with Microsoft though, so unless your main purpose of a console is to argue about it on an internet forum, PS5 wins.

PS4 also had a "better" price point, the cost of that being hardware that was outdated a year before it was released. Trying to play BF4 on it compared to my very much mid-tier PC at the time was awful.

Last edited:

retsof624

Backwards compatibility makes it automatically better than the PS4 launch in my opinion

Last edited:

nbkicker

I enjoyed my ps4 in the first six months then i have my ps5, maybe im getting to old for gaming , or my gaming pc has stopped me having that wow factor , but nothing has blown me away while playing on the ps5 yet, in the past every console generation felt like a step up, and my gaming pc was like a step up from my ps4 pro, only thing that has impressed me is the new dualsense controller that came with the ps5

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
PS4 this is how you share games
PS5 we believe in generations

Pretty much sums it up

Tg89

I enjoyed my ps4 in the first six months then i have my ps5, maybe im getting to old for gaming , or my gaming pc has stopped me having that wow factor , but nothing has blown me away while playing on the ps5 yet, in the past every console generation felt like a step up, and my gaming pc was like a step up from my ps4 pro, only thing that has impressed me is the new dualsense controller that came with the ps5
Curious if you had a PC when the PS4 came out? The gap between a PS4 and a mid tier PC was much wider than the same with a PS5.

But yeah, unfortunately once you get into the PC space, most of the "wow factor" of new console hardware is gone.

nbkicker

No
Curious if you had a PC when the PS4 came out? The gap between a PS4 and a mid tier PC was much wider than the same with a PS5.

But yeah, unfortunately once you get into the PC space, most of the "wow factor" of new console hardware is gone.
No always had every console on release, apart from xbox one, then after using psvr on my ps4 pro , loved vr and wanted to see what the next step up was , so in aug/sept 2019 decided to build the best gaming pc i could (my first pc since 2007 or something)

Gamerguy84

KZ and Second Son were good not great. PS5 beats it IMO because of BC, freebies, DS, MM, Sackboy, and Dualsense is a step up.

ptuck874

ok guys anybody have a ps4 then upgrade to ps5, my question is I got lucky and snagged one with the gamestop sale yesterday, the hard drive for ps4 games, all mine are already digital on an internal 2gig on the ps4, should I just re download when I get the ps5 next week and pick up a hard drive this weekend, or should I go ahead and copy the games now to the hard drive and plug that into the ps5?

yurinka

PS5 had BC, PS Plus Collection and PS Now at launch, PS4 didn't. This has been a big plus for PS5 to start the generation with a lot of games and freebies or previous gen games that now look and run better.

In addition to the full exclusives mentioned in the OP, if we also include crossgen exclusives and (timed or not) console exclusives during the first 6 months, PS5 had way more and way better.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

There's an argument to be made in favour of the next gen patches. Borderlands 3 for me is essentially a cross gen game at this point that didn't run properly on PS4. It's made the launch window so much more appealing for me. I deliberately avoided Ghost of Tsushima in hopes of a next gen update along with Crash Bandicoot and it paid off.

PS5 launch feels so much more active than the PS4.

Ok beside the games i think the biggest upgrade was the Ui, coming from ps3 and being sble to join up partys and faster messaging was really a huge upgrade, the feeling was great

Aenima

The biggest reason that made be buy a PS5 day 1, was being backwards compatible with PS4 games. Otherwise i would have waited 1 year to purchase it, like i did when i bought the PS4. PS5 having BC with previous gen games, made the transition a no brainer.

Top Bottom