• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5’s previously fixed PS4 disc installation bug is seemingly back

Bullet Club

PS5’s previously fixed PS4 disc installation bug is seemingly back​

Users report the bug is back after a recent system update

A PS5 disc installation bug seems to have reappeared after having previously been fixed.

According to several users across multiple subreddits, players who insert disc versions of games and choose the PS5 upgrade have had the PS4 version attempt to install to their console unprompted.

Titles effected include No Man’s Sky, the recently released Death Stranding Director’s Cut and Nioh.

While this doesn’t stop players from using the PS5 version, it will take up storage space on the console, which players will have to manually delete.

In February, Sony seemed to have fixed the problem in an update which targeted the then-frustrating experience of cross-generation titles.

In a post to the PlayStation blog detailing the update, “In rare cases, the PS4 version of a game would install from the disc after you upgraded to and installed the PS5 version,” Sony said. “Now, when you insert the PS4 game disc, the PS4 version won’t install unexpectedly.”

PS5’s handling of cross-gen releases had received some criticism since launch for it’s unclear signposting of different game versions. This led to some players inadvertently playing the last-gen versions of PS5 games they own.

In a bid to stop this happening, Sony added a notification informing players that they are about to launch the PS4 version of a game when the PS5 version is also available.

US-based customers hoping to purchase a PlayStation 5 console can now register their interest directly with Sony for a chance to do so.

The company said it will be making a limited number of PS5 consoles available for customers in the US to purchase directly from PlayStation this holiday season.

Those interested in buying one can register here for an opportunity to do so. They should use an email address associated with a PlayStation Network ID and opt in to receive marketing emails.

Source: VGC

Labadal

It is happening again for me.

I had this issue with Yakuza: Like A Dragon. It was then fixed, but now the PS4 version keeps installing. In the past week and a half, it happens every single time I turn on the console. Pretty annoying to experience this all over again.

Happens If you insert the Watch Dogs Legion/FFVII Remake PS4 discs.

Don't know why this is news. Well known problem after the Last firmware update.

SJRB

Gold Member
I gotta be honest, the PS5 is kind of a technical shitshow.

I have a lot of software issues [PS4 install bullshit, download queue bugging out the system only solvable by deleting cache, disc reading errors] and a couple of days ago my PS5 bricked during firmware update. It only boots in safe mode with the option to reinstall system software, which fails. I had contact with Sony and they were pretty cool about it, but now I have to ship my PS5 to them which is kind of a big hassle.

Never had any problems with any of the previous Playstations.

Kuranghi

Jesu Christi I thought this was the disc drive spinning up for no reason shit, thank god its not, still annoying af ofc.

So annoying. For the longest time I had two versions of rainbow six siege installed.

Its certainly a pile of rubbish and shouldn't be happening but I pictured you telling this to an orphan from a war torn country:

Orphan: "My whole family was killed and I have no home. I sleep inside a bin and I eat insects for protein"
Calverz: "I had two copies of Rainbow Six Siege installed on my PS5 and I didnt know for ages"
*orphan starts to cry shudderingly as Calverz awkwardly puts hand on their shoulder*
Calverz: "Don't worry they fixed it with an update"

Urban

PS5’s previously fixed PS4 disc installation bug is seemingly back​

Users report the bug is back after a recent system update

A PS5 disc installation bug seems to have reappeared after having previously been fixed.

According to several users across multiple subreddits, players who insert disc versions of games and choose the PS5 upgrade have had the PS4 version attempt to install to their console unprompted.

Titles effected include No Man’s Sky, the recently released Death Stranding Director’s Cut and Nioh.

While this doesn’t stop players from using the PS5 version, it will take up storage space on the console, which players will have to manually delete.

In February, Sony seemed to have fixed the problem in an update which targeted the then-frustrating experience of cross-generation titles.

In a post to the PlayStation blog detailing the update, “In rare cases, the PS4 version of a game would install from the disc after you upgraded to and installed the PS5 version,” Sony said. “Now, when you insert the PS4 game disc, the PS4 version won’t install unexpectedly.”

PS5’s handling of cross-gen releases had received some criticism since launch for it’s unclear signposting of different game versions. This led to some players inadvertently playing the last-gen versions of PS5 games they own.

In a bid to stop this happening, Sony added a notification informing players that they are about to launch the PS4 version of a game when the PS5 version is also available.

US-based customers hoping to purchase a PlayStation 5 console can now register their interest directly with Sony for a chance to do so.

The company said it will be making a limited number of PS5 consoles available for customers in the US to purchase directly from PlayStation this holiday season.

Those interested in buying one can register here for an opportunity to do so. They should use an email address associated with a PlayStation Network ID and opt in to receive marketing emails.

Source: VGC
Yeah just test it for your self : Insert Disc 2 from the FF7 Remake PS4 Edition and it will try to install the PS4 version ! I’ve got the PS5 version installed already and always have to manually delete the PS4 tile in the menu

MrA

Banned
Should be an easy fix for Sony, still a little annoying for those affected.
That's the problem with bugs , the oddest things can cause them, probably why it came back. It might not even be caused by the same bit of code now. Fortunately it isn't bricking things or corrupting data or anything like that

Top Bottom