• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 2022 needs to do more than just release enhanced PS4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusharngf

not enough ps5 are selling .. why make game for small userbase. This is where ps4 userbase comes in. You have 100 million people for ps4 who will buy your game. Jim knows this well and he is trying to expand the reach of his games.

rofif

Banned
You realise Abby game could be scaled down and released in old hardware?
If ps5 version won’t have loading screens and long door corridors animations then I will be happy

Ceadeus

Psvr2 at the end of the year is gonna be big. I just can't wait. Quest 2 is already awesome I can't wait for psvr2

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

ParaSeoul

We've already had three next gen only titles so far,theres probably more that haven't been announced yet. I think they're doing fine especially with the impact covid has had on game development especially if you compare their output to their competitor. The Spider-Man and Wolverine games will probably be next gen only whenever they arrive.

When Horizon looks honestly even better than PS5 exclusive Ratchet, does it matter that an inferior console is getting it too? Why would the fact that a game is releasing on PS4 as well affect anything?

i swear you guys worry more about stuff like this than Sony who are just trying to make more consoles as we speak.

You also didn't mention FFXVI, Forspoken, and possibly more unnanounced stuff like TLOU remake, etc

Last edited:

Fredrik

Is that really the problem though? PS5 has outsold the PS4 for the same period of time...
I can easily imagine that it is a problem that the competition have a userbase of 100 million when you have a userbase of 20 million.

And they already tried the PS5 exclusive strategy. What did they gain from that? Returnal seemed like a niche title with less than a million copies sold. Ratchet got som praise for the graphics. Both games were mostly forgotten by the majority.

Because of PS4 releases Sony will have a huge userbase again in 2022, we’ll see and hear more people talk about the games, we’ll see more games win GOTY awards, we’ll see more games on sales top lists. Just wait and see. It’ll feel like the king has returned.

Last edited:

yurinka

The three biggest titles coming out for PS5 in 2022 are just PS4 games with PS5 enhancements and to be frank, that is super disappointing for a year 2 of a console's life cycle.

Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
God of War Ragnarok
Good luck finding any game looking better than Horizon 2 and GoW Xbox during 2022 or before, crossgen or not.

Let me know if I'm mistaken, but has Sony ever released a major first party title on the previous generation after launching new hardware?
In PS5 with games like Demon's Souls or Astro. And a few months later with Ratchet and Returnal. Big AAA games now take around 4-5+ years to be developed and cost around $200M to be developed + almost the same in marketing.

Combined with having an active userbase of over 80M users in the previous gen, and considering games like these ones being released this year were started to be developed in 2017 or 2018 when the next gen hardware, its specs are even less engines taking advantage of them didn't exist, and when this generation transition is very easy to develop games as crossgen compared tot previous ones.

To release these games, or the next ones until their userbase migrates to next gen, to make these games next gen only instead of doing it with smaller ones would be a retarded market decision. Because in terms of designs and visuals the game would be exactly the same but they would keep a ton of millions on the table.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is that really the problem though? PS5 has outsold the PS4 for the same period of time...

Keep calm and play the games, OP.

The supply of the current hardwares are pretty bleak at the moment, so it makes sense that they are still supporting the bigger install base.

You'll have the "next-gen" exclusive games from now and then.

this is what I don’t get, we keep hearing how these consoles are outselling last gen. Yes, there is a chip shortage and they could have sold more but supposedly they are still doing massively better than last gen. So where’s the fresh new big budget IP?

I personally think it’s the working from home and Covid that’s fucked it all. People think working from home is better but does that work for a huge studio where you could just get up from your desk walk down a a hall or a few cubicles and shoot the shit with the art team, or design team and work through ideas and problems?

for how powerful these consoles are supposed to be it’s true that we are getting pretty much the same old games, either creativity is being squandered in some way (working from home etc?] or developers re just far too comfortable and can’t get risky ideas signed off by the management.

if these consoles are selling so much and sales of games are high, unless they aren’t and consoles are still going to scalpers? Then I dont get why sony and microsoft aren’t taking the risk on bigger budget interesting new games.

I would love to know how ratchet, demons souls and returnal are actually selling on ps5.

Last edited:

Beechos

As if these people played indie games. They’re just trolling. Indie games is where creativity and new gameplay mechanics are. They don’t play indies.
For real i bet they dont support vr either or talk shit about it. Now if you want new gameplay and experiences vr is also where its at.

Starfield is gonna be the biggest current gen exclusive this year
By what metric? Sales? Nope it'll be on GP which will mean it'll have inflated player count numbers because subs will try it out even if it's garbage but it's sales will be far worse than if it were a retail only game. The only people hyping that game up are xbox fanboys, we haven't seen a second of true gameplay yet, we saw part of an in game cinematic and that's it. Bethesda hasn't put out a good game since Skyrim, Fallout 4 was a borefest and Fallout 76 sucked rocks.

By what metric? Sales? Nope it'll be on GP which will mean it'll have inflated player count numbers because subs will try it out even if it's garbage but it's sales will be far worse than if it were a retail only game. The only people hyping that game up are xbox fanboys, we haven't seen a second of true gameplay yet, we saw part of an in game cinematic and that's it. Bethesda hasn't put out a good game since Skyrim, Fallout 4 was a borefest and Fallout 76 sucked rocks.

Lol this is a awful salty take. Sony tried to buy exclusivity of this game. Maybe you need to take a break from this forum?

We've already had three next gen only titles so far,theres probably more that haven't been announced yet. I think they're doing fine especially with the impact covid has had on game development especially if you compare their output to their competitor. The Spider-Man and Wolverine games will probably be next gen only whenever they arrive.
They are PS5 only, insomniac has confirmed that.

Lol this is a awful salty take. Sony tried to buy exclusivity of this game. Maybe you need to take a break from this forum?
I need to take a break from the forum for stating the truth? Sony trying to buy timed exclusivity is a rumor it was never confirmed and even if they had it would have been a waste of money just like it was for the other two games they bought timed exclusivity for. Starfield will not be as big as some of you seem to want everyone else to believe it will be, especially now that it's only on one console and PC. It could end up being a good game if Bethesda gets their crap together but based on their last two releases I'm not convinced that the quality will be there.

Last edited:
I need to take a break from the forum for stating the truth? Sony trying to buy timed exclusivity is a rumor nothing more and even if they had it would have been a waste of money just like it was for the other two games they bought timed exclusivity for.
How is it a rumor when they literally have two timed exclusives from the same publisher?

You’re emotionally compromised and it’s showing.

How is it a rumor when they literally have two timed exclusives from the same publisher?

You’re emotionally compromised and it’s showing
Look up the definition of the word rumor and then get back to me lol. Paying for timed exclusivity for two other games but not Starfield doesn't make that rumor any more likely, hell if they already had that kind of relationship going with Bethesda why wouldn't they have bought timed exclusivity on the third game too? Maybe there was a discussion and maybe there wasn't neither of us actually know that (because it's a rumor) but the bottom line is Sony didn't buy it so clearly even if they had a discussion about it they didn't think it was worth the money.

That last line of yours says more about you than it does me, hell in your previous post you wanted me to go away because I don't agree with your point of view. You are either a very immature person or have no idea on how to deal with the fact that some people have opinions that differ from your own.

Look up the definition of the word rumor and then get back to me lol. Paying for timed exclusivity for two other games but not Starfield doesn't make that rumor any more likely, hell if they already had that kind of relationship going with Bethesda why wouldn't they have bought timed exclusivity on the third game too? Maybe there was a discussion and maybe there wasn't neither of us actually know that (because it's a rumor) but the bottom line is Sony didn't buy it so clearly even if they had a discussion about it they didn't think it was worth the money.

That last line of yours says more about you than it does me, hell in your previous post you wanted me to go away because I don't agree with your point of view. You are either a very immature person or have no idea on how to deal with the fact that some people have opinions that differ from your own.

Ok dude lol. Have a nice one 😂

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its disappointing to not have games that really utilise a console properly.
However new content is still new content, as long as its good and the new console versions provide some tangible benefit.l
I said the same thing with the xbox series cross gen shenanigans.

Sosokrates

Or maybe Microsoft aquired Zenimax while sony were still negotiating a starfield deal, but they were to late.

Tschumi

Graphics whores.

I'm sorry, I know that's a pretty rough statement that might not go down well, i just want to explain that people who were so fucking hung up on graphics used to get the crap insulted out of them on gaming forums for saying this stuff... I know DF legitimized this idea of being intellectual about graphics, but everything they do is objective and they never say graphics = the game.

This is some dumb ass crap.

Fredrik

Eh?
People were hyped for Starfield long before Bethesda was bought. Bethesda’s games are also more popular on PC and that’s where most people will play Starfield and do mods and all that cool stuff. It gets hyped because it’s the first new IP in over 25 years from the biggest RPG dev out there who made Skyrim, the most sold RPG ever and winner of 229 GOTY awards. They even call Starfield ”Skyrim in space”. Not being hyped is weird. Unless you hate the genre.

Last edited:
It’s hilarious watching people kick and scream as the old paradigm crumbles. It’s over it’s a new world with new piles of influence and it’s overall gonna be better for the players.

None of that archaic ass ala carte software distribution model. It can kick rocks.

Eh?
People were hyped for Starfield long before Bethesda was bought. Bethesda’s games are also more popular on PC and that’s where most people will play Starfield. It gets hyped because it’s the first new IP in over 25 years from the biggest RPG dev out there who made Skyrim, the most sold RPG ever and winner of 229 GOTY awards. They even call Starfield ”Skyrim in space”. Not being hyped is weird. Unless you hate the genre.

Man hates anything that’s attached to Xbox. Literally hypnotized with hate to the point where he can’t even enjoy the hobby 😂

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
When Horizon looks honestly even better than PS5 exclusive Ratchet, does it matter that an inferior console is getting it too? Why would the fact that a game is releasing on PS4 as well affect anything?

i swear you guys worry more about stuff like this than Sony who are just trying to make more consoles as we speak.

You also didn't mention FFXVI, Forspoken, and possibly more unnanounced stuff like TLOU remake, etc
Tbh what does that say about ratchet? Horizon looks a gen behind the matrix so the fact that it looks better than ratchet, demon souls and returnal just goes to show how underwhelming Sony’s first party efforts have been this gen.

I mean Xbox is going to have more first party next Gen games than PlayStation in 2022 and that is crazy to me after Phil went on and on about cross gen back in 2020. As a PlayStation fan who railed against Phil’s comments, i feel pretty fucking dumb and scammed right about now.

Why would the fact that a game is releasing on PS4 as well affect anything?
It will affect everything. Everything from enemy ai to level design to fast traversal and emergent gameplay.

arvfab

Banned
to be frank
Hi Frank

On Topic: Horizon currently looks like it's going to take the graphics king crown from R&C and we haven't seen enough of GoW to pass judgment.

We also don't know what else is coming.
outside
And there are the third party (timed?) exclusives, like FF16, which Sony surely won't want to overshadow.

Sosokrates

Graphics whores.

I'm sorry, I know that's a pretty rough statement that might not go down well, i just want to explain that people who were so fucking hung up on graphics used to get the crap insulted out of them on gaming forums for saying this stuff... I know DF legitimized this idea of being intellectual about graphics, but everything they do is objective and they never say graphics = the game.

This is some dumb ass crap.

Its mainly not graphics for me, its more realistic NPCs, destructable worlds, more interactivity etc that I want, better graphics are great but I don't really see graphics are the main limiting factor in games now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Everything from enemy ai to level design to fast traversal and emergent gameplay.
uncontrollable-laughter-gif-4.gif

Can you really with straight face tell me there was big AI improvement from 360/PS3 era to current gen? Do you really believe even we do get PS5 only games we going to see huge improvement in AI?

From I can understand there still no game that has better AI than Fear which came out in 2005.

Its mainly not graphics for me, its more realistic NPCs, destructable worlds, more interactivity etc that I want, better graphics are great but I don't really see graphics are the main limiting factor in games now.
i agree advancements in graphics is the most boring advancement of the potential advancement vectors.

And arguably the laziest.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Man hates anything that’s attached to Xbox. Literally hypnotized with hate to the point where he can’t even enjoy the hobby 😂
It’s not attached to Xbox though. No more than God of War is attached to PC. 🤷‍♂️ It’s on Steam like every other Bethesda game and it’ll have Steam Workshop mods and Nexus mods and all that jazz, I’ll be awesome.

yeah i agree it sucks that theres not much true ps5 games out by now but on the other hand, even though horizon, gt7 and god of war are held back, they still look fantastic to play so i'll allow another year of cross gen lol

i do believe some events coming this year will really show us a true generational leap not just games releasing by the end of this year, but an insight to 2023 as way more current gen games will be made (i hope lol)

It’s not attached to Xbox though. No more than God of War is attached to PC. 🤷‍♂️ It’s on Steam like every other Bethesda game and it’ll have Steam Workshop mods and Nexus mods and all that jazz, I’ll be awesome.
Oh like MLB the show being day 1 on gamepass ? Does this stop this franchise from being associated with Sony?

uncontrollable-laughter-gif-4.gif

Can you really with straight face tell me there was big AI improvement from 360/PS3 era to current gen? Do you really believe even we do get PS5 only games we going to see huge improvement in AI?

From I can understand there still no game that has better AI than Fear which came out in 2005.
Facts. This is what I’ve been complaining about for years. Just “graphics , graphics , graphics” all while the meaningful things have seen no advancement in 20 years but ya know graphics.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Facts. This is what I’ve been complaining about for years. Just “graphics , graphics , graphics” all while the meaningful things have seen no advancement in 20 years but ya know graphics.
Can you blame the devs? Just go look at Elden Ring thread, apparently “graphics” is what “gamers” want.

Fuck actual gameplay, they need photo mode to show off how beautiful the graphics are and how their plastic box is better than other plastic box.

GRAPHICS!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom