• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and PS4 System Software Updates release globally today. VRR update coming soon.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are there monitors/tvs with VRR rates at 30 or below?

Yes there are, but very few.

For example:

The most common lowest VRR bound you'll find is 40~45hz.

While I don't know what Halo does, it's entirely possible to break VRR through certain implementation approaches - on consoles at least, without bugs.

Sure, if it's breaking, it's still an issue/exception, not the norm and not something like a developer forgetting to add the appropriate support for it in a patch like some suggested earlier.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I went a while without it happening and then the last couple of weeks it's been happening more. I'll put it in rest mode and instead of seeing the rest mode screen it just goes black and then the light on the console is completely off. Then I have to press the power button on the console twice (because the first press and beep does nothing) and then I have to sit through that "repairing console storage". Then I get a screen that says the console wasn't turned off properly. It's happened 4 times in the last two weeks. Not a huge deal, but its annoying. Especially if I had a game going and just wanted to put it in rest mode.

That has never happened with my PS5. Not once. You might have an issue.

(I just have very noticeable coil whine, which is annoying but not really audible over the game audio).

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Yes there are, but very few.

For example:

The most common lowest VRR bound you'll find is 40~45hz.

Sure, if it's breaking, it's still an issue/exception, not the norm and not something like a developer forgetting to add the appropriate support for it in a patch like some suggested earlier.
most newer lg oled work down to 20

RydarGaf

You are forgetting Microsoft had a whole backwards compatibility program patching older games (most likely to add VRR and other stuff), not to mention they had a head start of having VRR working in the Series Consoles due to the fact they had VRR enabled on the Xbox One consoles.
Out of the Xbox one consoles, only the One X truly had it. The One S rarely had any 60fps titles or games with a 60fps performance mode.
Those last gen consoles did not support LFC for framerates that dipped below 40 or cover frame rate ranges above 60fps. If 120hz is enabled on OS, the VRR is turned off on Xbox One. That essentially means that the Xbox One S has no vrr real support.

RydarGaf

most newer lg oled work down to 20
False. LG Oled displays only cover the 40hz to 120hz.
That 20hz rhetoric nonsense is based on misinformation spread by popular website called Rtings whom doesn't seem to know the difference between LFC and VRR. Anything below 40hz is LFC and only works on displays that can go up to 120hz. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

All PS5 Games run in 60hz display mode.(not to be confused with 30fps or 60fps) unless the game has a 120fps performance mode which triggers 120hz display if you have the 120hz OS toggle set to automatic. Otherwise, your TV display is putting out 60hz on ALL PS5 games.

The problem here is that PS5 version of VRR will NOT work on Elden Rings's quality mode setting because the fps is usually dipping below 40fps.

On Xbox, you can set all games to run under a 120hz display at system wide level which means all games have LFC support which keeps VRR working no matter how far the frame rate dips down to 20fps. Very few games on PS5 support framerates above 60fps which means the display is also locked to 60hz. The exception is rachet and clank rift apart.

I think this is real culprit on why Sony needs games to be patched for true VRR support. The PS5 can't do 4K, 120hz RGB 10-bit color due to the 32gbs hdmi 2.1 bandwidth limit. That's the bad news.

But here is the good news....the vast majority of PS5 Games have performance modes that maintain frames above 50fps. (Most HDMI 2.1 TV VRR range is actually 48 to 120hz. Not 40 to 120 like the LG oleds.) So framerate dips below 50 will knock off VRR. But that shouldn't be a problem because playstation version of games tend be better optimized vs games on other platforms such nintendo, Xbox, or PC.

Sorry for the long post. I want playstation users to know one last thing. If you truly care about VRR on PS5, check the VRR range before buying a TV. Make sure the range goes down to atleast 40hz or lower. That way LFC is unnecessary. I have seen decent number of games dip below 50fps but hold higher than 40fps. That is why LG Oled TVs are better for PS5 than Sony own branded TVs.

Hopefully in the future, newer TV have vrr ranges that go down to atleast 30hz.

DJ12

I think this is real culprit on why Sony needs games to be patched for true VRR support. The PS5 can't do 4K, 120hz RGB 10-bit color due to the 32gbs hdmi 2.1 bandwidth limit. That's the bad news.
Apparently its capped at 32gb or was, and will be uncapped when required.

Maybe it already has and no one has retested it as rachet and clank looks as good in 120hz mode as it does in 60hz

Maybe it already has and no one has retested it as rachet and clank looks as good in 120hz mode as it does in 60hz

I remember reading once that the HDMI controller could be updated. I guess we have to wait and see if it happens.

But it's funny seeing some people calling PS5s VRR fake.

FrankWza

The problem here is that PS5 version of VRR will NOT work on Elden Rings's quality mode setting because the fps is usually dipping below 40fps.
Back To School What GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

DJ12

I remember reading once that the HDMI controller could be updated. I guess we have to wait and see if it happens.

As far as I'm aware, and I'm no expert, to be certified as a HDMI2.1 device, which I believe the PS5 is, it has to be capable of outputting the full bandwdith to meet the specs.

I wouldn't know as I don't buy electronic components, but it doesn't seem likely you'd be able to buy "cheap" HDM2.1 chip that doesn't actually support HDMI2.1 specs.

GymWolf

Doesn't matter if it's correct, it's still hyperbolic. It's factual that most people won't notice frame drops from 60 to 57, it's not about reality, it's about relevance. This drop is irrelevant no matter how much you cry like an infant about it. Stop being a petulant child. Nobody cares about your childish sensibilities.
Maybe people who play only on console doesn't notice a 1-2-3 frame dips, but for people used to locked framerates, having the framerate going 60-59-57-58-60-58-59 all the time is super annoying dude, it's not an hyperbole.

The only hyperbole is bloodborne being unplayable.

People didn't even noticed 20+ frame dips in returnal :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

RydarGaf

Yeah, even on Xbox XSX, the VRR shuts off if the user doesn't toggle 120hz to on in the system settings. John L from digital foundry talked about it on twitter. And we can see video on YouTube from Gametech channel that vrr on elden ring quality doesn't work if the display is set to 60hz.

On PS5. Users will have to set the game to performance mode to enable vrr since they can't turn on 120hz at a system level on PS5. 120hz on PS5 is automatic only for games that support 120fps framerates. Which is just a few games.

Of course Sony can fix the issue with System update to allow users to manually select 120hz for ALL games and not just those that have 120fps gameplay.

Shmunter

Yeah, even on Xbox XSX, the VRR shuts off if the user doesn't toggle 120hz to on in the system settings. John L from digital foundry talked about it on twitter. And we can see video on YouTube from Gametech channel that vrr on elden ring quality doesn't work if the display is set to 60hz.

On PS5. Users will have to set the game to performance mode to enable vrr since they can't turn on 120hz at a system level on PS5. 120hz on PS5 is automatic only for games that support 120fps framerates. Which is just a few games.

Of course Sony can fix the issue with System update to allow users to manually select 120hz for ALL games and not just those that have 120fps gameplay.
Wait Xbox only supports VRR in 120hz? Holy moly.

Mephisto40

I still have an issue occasionally where I put the console into rest mode and cannot wake it with the controller, even with the controller plugged into the console. I have to power it up using the power button, completly shut it down by holding the power button, and then turn it back on before it will pick the controller up. No idea why it's happening

RydarGaf

Sony is stubborn as f*UK.

The most simple way to address the 32gbs cap is to allow native support for 1440p resolutions. Even the most powerful PCs cannot run modern triple A games at 4K/120fps. At 1440p we can run games in 60fps on PS5 over 120hz display with full RGB 12-bit color depth.

PS5 runs games in RGB 12 bit color depth by default unless 120hz display is triggered by 120fps mode in some select games. The trade off is Sony resorts to using croma subsampling. This may be the reason they don't allow user to manually control the display speed.

But I feel this is mistake because there hardly any games on PS5 or XSX that internally run 4K 60fps anyways. These games are usually running at much lower resolutions on 60fps mode.

So the problem isn't really the 32gbps limit. It's the stupid politics that Sony playing here because 32gbs can easily handle 1440p 120hz with full RGB 12-bit color depth no problem. So they should just let users who love VRR and 60fps turn the display resolution down to match the actual native resolution of games running in 60fps mode.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

what in the concern trolling is this? this can not be true, surely. I have been using VRR since launch and I havent HAD to have the console in 120Hz mode.

Thats some all kinds of strange issue if its true, unless something isnt right after a recent update.

Do you have proof of this?

What happens if your TV doesnt support 120Hz but supports VRR?

Last edited:

Shmunter

I still have an issue occasionally where I put the console into rest mode and cannot wake it with the controller, even with the controller plugged into the console. I have to power it up using the power button, completly shut it down by holding the power button, and then turn it back on before it will pick the controller up. No idea why it's happening
Try doing the safe mode maintenance tasks, database rebuild, clear cache etc

Last edited:

RydarGaf

No. It supports VRR in 60hz as well so long as the framerate stays above certain numbers such as commonly 48 or 40. Frame rate dips below those numbers turns off VRR if the display is not set to 120hz.

The reason for this LFC(Low Framerate Compensation) low framerates need 120hz display support so they can double the number to smooth out stutters and frame pacing issues.

Let's say you have a low framerate of 38fps. Double that number is 76. But 76 cannot fit into 60hz so we need 120hz display support toggled on in the Xbox System setting menu.

Xbox One X did not have LFC support because it's VRR was limited from 40 to 60hz.
So when I played Jedi Fallen Order on Xbox One X with AOC freezync monitor. I could see the on screen Frame counter shutting off VRR/Freesync due to the console no being able to hold the frame rate above 48 in performance mode.

When I tested Kindom Hearts 3 on Xbox One X, VRR worked flawlessly because it could keep the frame rates above 50.

Mr Moose

Are you using a shitty Seagate external HDD?

ethomaz

Banned
That is not what he said.

If the game goes below 40fps in 60Hz mode it turns down VRR.
In 120Hz it only turns down below 20fps.

That is what I understood for his post… and makes sense if you understand how LFC works.

Shmunter

No. It supports VRR in 60hz as well so long as the framerate stays above certain numbers such as commonly 48 or 40. Frame rate dips below those numbers turns off VRR if the display is not set to 120hz.

The reason for this LFC(Low Framerate Compensation) low framerates need 120hz display support so they can double the number to smooth out stutters and frame pacing issues.

Let's say you have a low framerate of 38fps. Double that number is 76. But 76 cannot fit into 60hz so we need 120hz display support toggled on in the Xbox System setting menu.

Xbox One X did not have LFC support because it's VRR was limited from 40 to 60hz.
So when I played Jedi Fallen Order on Xbox One X with AOC freezync monitor. I could see the on screen Frame counter shutting off VRR/Freesync due to the console no being able to hold the frame rate above 48 in performance mode.

When I tested Kindom Hearts 3 on Xbox One X, VRR worked flawlessly because it could keep the frame rates above 50.
Ahh right I see. I guess playing in the 30fps range is a pita anyway so not many would really go that way I imagine.

Three

Everybody listen to me. VSYNC should NOT be disabled for VRR or else the frame rate has the opportunity to go PAST the VRR RANGE.

If you have a 120Hz screen and you disable vsync and remove the frame rate cap, as soon as your game reaches 121fps, VRR will no longer work and you'll get tearing and stutter.

It's best to leave vsync engaged so the TV never goes above the VRR range.
V-sync should always be disabled in the game but enabled from the driver control panel. That way it acts as a fps limiter and lowers input lag without tearing above 120fps.

Last edited:
VSync should always be disabled in the game but enabled from the driver control panel. That way it acts as a fps limiter and lowers input lag without tearing above 120fps.
When I played on PC, I would use the universal frame limiter built into the video driver. I'd set it to 141fps to make sure I never hit the 144Hz ceiling. It worked well, although some games didn't like 144Hz and I had to run them at 60. But yeah, I had vsync on in every game and it worked perfectly without input lag for 99% of the games I played.

Mephisto40

Try doing the safe mode maintenance tasks, database rebuild, clear cache etc
I have tried this but the issue still happens, i'm not sure if it's an issue with my TV passing controls to the PS5 tbh, I know there are some options on the PS5 for being able to control your console with the tv remote that I have messed around with, but it's happening with both the TV's in my house. Only thing I havnt tried at this point is a full reset. Weird thing is sometimes it works fine, it only seems to happen when the console is in rest mode for an extended amount of time without me switching it on. If I fully power the console down and start it up the issue doesnt happen again until I've put the console into rest mode for a few hours. It's almost as if it happens if my PS5 just happens to download an update when it's in rest mode

Last edited:
GT7 is a perfect example of why you don’t need VRR in fixed hardware.

Solid 60fps.
You won’t even notice if VRR is on or off.

The non-RT replays don't run at a locked framerate and can look juddery so VRR would definitely help with making them look smooth. Also, GT7 *does* have dips below 60 fps as shown by Digital Foundry; again, VRR would help hide these and maintain a smooth framerate. There's nothing more jarring and immersion breaking than screen tearing or stutter in a racing game due to framerate drops.

VRR is an absolute must for games. Very, very few games have a perfect locked 60 fps or 120 fps framerate so this is where VRR comes in very handy.

The Smurfs: Mission Vileaf is a horrid juddery mess on PS5 but it plays smoothly on Xbox Series X and honestly feels like it has double the framerate as it is that bad on PS5. The truth is that neither version holds a locked 60 fps. The difference is quite staggering and I defy anyone to claim the PS5 is 'playable'. I also played the 30 fps Spyro: Reignited Trilogy over the weekend on PS5 and Xbox Series X after discovering that the latter version was running silky-smooth. Previously, both of these games ran with bad framepacing and framerate stutter on both my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. The Xbox Series X version now runs smoothly (and with auto-HDR too) but the PS4 version running on the PS4 still, sadly, has the same bad framepacing. The difference isn't quite as staggering as The Smurfs game but the game running on PS5 is noticeably less smooth. Not sure why the game is running smoother on Xbox Series X though but it must be due to VRR even though this is a 30 fps game as that is the only difference between the two consoles (that, and the PS4/PS5 version lacks HDR).

Absolutely cannot wait for VRR to come to PS5. The question is when will it come and will it actually work properly like on Xbox Series X?

Last edited:

Banned
that is a complete fabrication right here. noone from DF ever said this and it's a lie.

I think you are very badly informed on all things VRR and misunderstood multiple different things to come up with this nonsense

whatever the channel you talk about showed was not "vrr on elden ring quality doesn't work if the display is set to 60hz" what you saw there is a person with an older VRR screen that can not go down to ~30hz, which would be needed for Elden Ring in quality mode as it hovers around 30 to 40fps.

most older VRR TVs can only go down to 48hz. you can circumvent this by running at 120hz, because then the Xbox can double all the frames and effectively use VRR all the way down to 24fps even on older TVs that can only go to 48hz

if you have a newer TV you most likely have one that can go all the way down to 20hz (newer LG TVs for example) or maybe one that gets to 30hz or 40hz... all depends on your TV.
back in the early days 48hz was standard so early Freesync and VRR TVs will have that limit. has nothing to do with the Xbox tho

Last edited:

Shmunter

I have tried this but the issue still happens, i'm not sure if it's an issue with my TV passing controls to the PS5 tbh, I know there are some options on the PS5 for being able to control your console with the tv remote that I have messed around with, but it's happening with both the TV's in my house. Only thing I havnt tried at this point is a full reset. Weird thing is sometimes it works fine, it only seems to happen when the console is in rest mode for an extended amount of time without me switching it on. If I fully power the console down and start it up the issue doesnt happen again until I've put the console into rest mode for a few hours. It's almost as if it happens if my PS5 just happens to download an update when it's in rest mode
It sounds like a software thing. move all games to a usb drive, make sure saves are in the cloud and do a factory reset

RydarGaf

what in the concern trolling is this? this can not be true, surely. I have been using VRR since launch and I havent HAD to have the console in 120Hz mode.

Thats some all kinds of strange issue if its true, unless something isnt right after a recent update.

Do you have proof of this?

What happens if your TV doesnt support 120Hz but supports VRR?
Depends on what games you are playing on Xbox.
If the XSX cannot hold frame rate above 48fps while the system is set to 60hz display, the VRR will cease working if the frame rate is below 48 or 40 depending on what display you are using.

Do I have proof? Do you have a frame rate counter on your display? If you hook up a gaming pc monitor or TV with a frame rate counter to your Series X Play an intense game with scene that crashes the frame rate to below 48fps. You will see numbers on the VRR information bar snap back to 60 without moving. Even though game stuttering with actual frames below 48 lol or screen tearing.

But if you replay that scene with 120hz toggled on, the screen tearing will go away and you will not notice any stuttering, also the vrr number from frame rate counter won't snap or get hard stuck

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Are the issues where some people weren't able to connect to online games after installing the new patch resolved? I've left my PS5 off all day yesterday and before i do the update i want to make sure all is good now.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Depends on what games you are playing on Xbox.
If the XSX cannot hold frame rate above 48fps while the system is set to 60hz display, the VRR will cease working if the frame rate is below 48 or 40 depending on what display you are using.

Do I have proof? Do you have a frame rate counter on your display? If you hook up a gaming pc monitor or TV with a frame rate counter to your Series X Play an intense game with scene that crashes the frame rate to below 48fps. You will see numbers on the VRR information bar snap back to 60 without moving. Even though game stuttering with actual frames below 48 lol or screen tearing.

But if you replay that scene with 120hz toggled on, the screen tearing will go away and you will not notice any stuttering, also the vrr number from frame rate counter won't snap or get hard stuck

I don't know what you are talking about here. My LG CX runs from 20hz to 120 hz. I don't see any tearing or anything like that. It works as intended.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I don't know how that would even work, or how some software solution would be possible. Either the PS5 can output a VRR signal that a VRR-capable TV can handle, or it can't. There's no way to "fake it", it wouldn't work.

kyliethicc

Also could be because PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X handle video out settings differently.

With XBS you have to have video output settings set to 4K @ 120 Hz to use HDMI 2.1 (FRL DSC) output.
Switching to 60 Hz in system settings also switches to HDMI 2.0 output (TMDS).

While on PS5 its always using HDMI 2.1 (FRL) output.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I think this is real culprit on why Sony needs games to be patched for true VRR support. The PS5 can't do 4K, 120hz RGB 10-bit color due to the 32gbs hdmi 2.1 bandwidth limit.
If that was the culprit (requiring 120hz that couldn't be done due to bandwidth), no amount of patching the game would work around it.

But I suspect the real culprit is Sony being more open with allowing explicit swap-chain control on their consoles, and as I alluded earlier in the thread - that allows implementations that will explicitly break VRR in any form, regardless of refresh/resolution. And not due to bugs - it's an optimization for fixed refresh that just happens to be incompatible with VRR (you need to split code-paths for VRR, hence, needing a patch).

There's also optimizations 'for' VRR that would necessitate patching - but that's even more speculative (for devs that go out of the way supporting 40hz, I could see them do it, but I doubt many will bother).

RydarGaf

that is a complete fabrication right here. noone from DF ever said this and it's a lie.

I think you are very badly informed on all things VRR and misunderstood multiple different things to come up with this nonsense

whatever the channel you talk about showed was not "vrr on elden ring quality doesn't work if the display is set to 60hz" what you saw there is a person with an older VRR screen that can not go down to ~30hz, which would be needed for Elden Ring in quality mode as it hovers around 30 to 40fps.

most older VRR TVs can only go down to 48hz. you can circumvent this by running at 120hz, because then the Xbox can double all the frames and effectively use VRR all the way down to 24fps even on older TVs that can only go to 48hz

if you have a newer TV you most likely have one that can go all the way down to 20hz (newer LG TVs for example) or maybe one that gets to 30hz or 40hz... all depends on your TV.
back in the early days 48hz was standard so early Freesync and VRR TVs will have that limit.

Based on your response, it seems you don't know what LFC is or how it actually works https://digitalmasta.com/amd-low-framerate-compensation-amd-lfc-explained/

I literally posted a link to the nvidia certification website that shows all LG oled TVs vrr ranges in my initial post on this subject 😆

Newer LG TVs do NOT "go all the way down to 20hz" As I said before that misinformation was spread by Rtings website who clearly confused LFC support with actual VRR 1 to 1 mapping the display speed to the video game frame rate. VRR is a 1 to 1 matching of the frame rate to the display rate of a TV or PC monitor. Even 2022 models $3000 LG TVs don't have VRR down to 20hz. You could have spared yourself this embarrassment by actually reading the page I posted a link to initial post. But here is a picture for you since you don't like to read.
mMc1GM4.png

No issues on my end, but a friend of mine had to rebuild his PS4 database after 9.50 update yesterday.

Elden Ring, who did an update yesterday as well (hence made things confusing for him, initially blaming the game update), started stuttering like mad way more than previously/normal.

Anyway, solved, but anyone having issues keep that in mind.

Last edited:
My own hunch is because their Bravia TV line only just got VRR this month. I think it would be a bad look for Sony if they offered a VRR ready PS5 that could only use the feature on competitor's TVs. I doubt there is a big technical reason for the delay, probably just internal Sony politics. But that's just my theory.
My hunch as well.

Sony behaves like a totalitarian regime most of the time. If they don't sell it, or if their TV sets are crappier than the competition at a certain feature (in this case VRR)... Well, they'll just look the other way and whistle - anything but help LG and Samsung sell more TV's, Sony consoles working on these TV's is already something close to a favour from their point of view, something that costs them TV sales. World would be so much better if you had to have a Sony PS5, Sony TV, Sony Soundbar, and so on.

That's also the reason they don't support 1440p output. They sell no PC monitors and none of their screens has that native resolution. So fuck it, not a real feature, there's nothing in it for us, fake news.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know how that would even work, or how some software solution would be possible. Either the PS5 can output a VRR signal that a VRR-capable TV can handle, or it can't. There's no way to "fake it", it wouldn't work.
Do you mean update HDMI controller? It is very easy.

But that is unrelated to VRR.... it can work even with less bandwidth than 32Gbps.
BTW Sony I believe uses a DisplayPort to HDMI controller.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I'm just going to ask, and hopefully I can get a proper answer.

Is there a reason why Sony seems to be having great difficulty adding VRR?

Is it possible they can add it to PS4 pro as well? As the one X has it.

Genuinely curious.
No way they add it to PS4 Pro. Why would they? There aren't a ton of PS4 Pros sold so if they're not adding it to the base PS4 as well they have no reason to add it to the Pro. They want people to buy a PS5 at this point, not a PS4 Pro. You cannot compare what Microsoft is doing to what Sony is doing. Haven't we learned that yet?

RydarGaf

If that was the culprit (requiring 120hz that couldn't be done due to bandwidth), no amount of patching the game would work around it.
Not true, insomniac games patched Rachet and Clank rift apart for 120hz display support over 40fps.
The catch is RGB 12 bit color depth will be replaced with croma subsampling which is something I think Sony frowns upon. They want the best most color accuracy footage for their games and TVs.

To some degree Sony is in the right, because 120fps gaming is some what of a gimmic for consoles. The consoles aren't powerful enough to handle 120fps gaming without severely reducing the resolution down to 1080p and making several cut backs to visual fidelity.

The best approach I ever seen was the rachet and clank game.

Ray Tracking ✔ 4K ✔ performance above 30fps ✔ = 40fps with enabled 120hz display is simply brilliant.

IMO, that is the direction games should go this generation.

Now this can be made better by keeping RGB 12 bit color depth intact by doing 1440p/40fps/120hz Display + Ray Tracing. This would be a huge win for gamers and developers. With that setting you have amazing visual fidelity for next generation games.

The industry needs to drop the 4K/120hz nonsense. There is no game in existence that can take full advantage of that target with Ray Tracing on.

ethomaz

Banned
That is not true at all.
If you drop the color deep you can have 4k120Hz via 32Gbps.
That is what Sony does btw (422 8bits)... and yes it can pass VRR info too that uses very little bandwidth (in each frame VRR proabably use a byte to say the actual state of the framerate to TV).

Edit - That is how Sony output 4k120Hz

attachment.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom