• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox Series X’s S pecs Won’t Have As Much Impact As Cloud Streaming – Journey to the Savage Planet Dev.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to Hutchinson, the real potential lies in cloud computing, and what that will allow developers to accomplish.

Speaking in an interview with GamingBolt, Hutchinson said that the impact of SSD’s on development heading into next-gen will be “almost nothing”, and that the Xbox Series X’s GDDR6 memory, too, won’t have much of an impact “from a design perspective.” What Hutchinson feels will be much more important is “not the boxes”, but “what they connect to when you’re not looking.”

When asked specifically about both consoles’ Zen 2 processors and how they will help development, Hutchinson said, “It’s more power, but I think the cloud and being able to have large scale simulations and persistence will be the big new things this generation, so not so much the boxes themselves but what they connect to when you’re not looking!”

Problem is, no one is making a good F*CKING use for cloud power™ except streaming.

Crackdown 3 demonstrated cloud power way back in 2013... In the end they couldn't implement a simple cloud based destruction ®

Last edited:

trikster40

Like we are supposed to believe uneducated developers who dare to use the word “Savage” in their titles...
/wink Kotaku

Valid points, but I still think we are at least a gen away from cloud streaming being a viable exclusive means for gaming

Like we are supposed to believe uneducated developers who dare to use the word “Savage” in their titles...
/wink Kotaku

Valid points, but I still think we are at least a gen away from cloud streaming being a viable exclusive means for gaming

Cloud for Singleplayer games will basicslly kill offline gameplay because being online will be crucial to run it

LMJ

If one could utilize the cloud in a way similar to what MS originally showed for Crackdown 3 it could be huge, but of course the caveat is that it will require a constant and more importantly consistent online connection which alienates a chunk of your audience...

Still if that level of destruction was in CD3 I think it would still be immensely popular online

Last edited:
Hutchinson sounds like Pachter with his wild predictions that ended up being untrue.
I think he's wrong. Cloud might take off somewhere in the future, but not in the next 10 years, imo.

DaMonsta

I agree with him. Cloud stuff will be the big jump. The extra power will just give us better resolution and framerate.

trikster40

Typhoon Studios just got acquired by Google as a Stadia first-party developer, FYI.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom