• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox Series X scalper claims he’s ‘creating young entrepreneurs’

Draugoth

Gold Member
Interview done by VGC with one of those scalpers

skynews-scalp-aftermarket-arbitrage_5606419-1440x810.jpg

Jack Bayliss of Aftermarket Arbitrage runs a subscription service, where members pay him £30 a month to be informed of new restocks of valuable goods such as the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

With 1500 subscribers, Bayliss is now in a position where he claims to be earning £45,000 ($61,000) a month by helping other people buy desirable items in bulk and re-selling them at higher prices, often before the rest of the public have a chance to buy them at the original cost.

But despite claiming he’s “very in tune with his moral compass” and conscious that families can’t buy consoles because of his business, he told Sky News that he believed the benefits outweighed the drawbacks.
“I get to see the flip side of the coin, the area that the media and the general public who hate us quote ‘scalpers’ [don’t see],” he said.

“To me, owning the PS5 or an Xbox isn’t a necessity, it’s a luxury, okay? If you can afford to spend £450, spending the extra £100 should be pretty marginal, if you’ve got cash ready to splash on that.

“Yes, some families are gonna have to pay another £100, but what you don’t think about is our members, they’ve got 30 consoles, they’re making £100 on each one. And then they’re making a good month’s salary in a couple of days.”

Bayliss claimed that many of his subscribers are “very young” and he’s helping them create their own businesses.

Fuck this guy and people like him :messenger_expressionless: I cant get a PS5 fora good price because of people like him.

Last edited:

CeeJay

C’mon, man. You can’t put the blame on the party getting fleeced.
If they are willingly paying way over the odds for an item that isn't an essential to life then yeah you can. Just don't buy it, wait it out.

Edit: See the post directly above mine

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Generally I have no issues with scalping, its just another market, the people who buy at the scalped price could've spent their own time to secure one at RRP like the scalpers but they value that amount of time more than the extra they pay for the product.

I think this is similiar to getting mad at people selling bottles of water at a beach for $5, the buyers set the market price, if everyone there set their prices the same and no one bought then they would lower them, or if one vendor sold water at $2 then all the others would lower their prices to compensate.

You set your price at what the buyer will reasonably pay for something based on need, perceived value, etc. The beach is hot so people don't want to wait even a few mins to go elsewhere for cheaper water, so they pay. They could've thought ahead and brought their own water though, its not like the fucking Oregon Trail where resources are scarce and people die easily, they only have themselves to blame really.

Anyone here calling them the worst things ever read a book on basic economics?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
😂
I actually got both PS5 and XSX for retail price on day one. I also got a 3080 FE for retail price a couple of months after launch.

But I work from home and can spend my days following Twitter and discord bots, many people can't. That sucks.
Yeah... I got lucky too thanks to those bots too, managed to snap a 3070.

Glad you didn't fall for the scalping prices. If more people were like you we wouldn't have scalpers at all.

mrcroket

😂
I actually got both PS5 and XSX for retail price on day one. I also got a 3080 FE for retail price a couple of months after launch.

But I work from home and can spend my days following Twitter and discord bots, many people can't. That sucks.
The thing is that nobody needs a new console. It's a hobby not a necessity. You can wait and no overpaid, this trend of being up-to-date is stupid IMO, just wait and enjoy what you have... and I love videogame, but also my money.

Last edited:
Ah, can people stop writing articles about these bottom feeding, jobless pieces of shit?

Don’t buy from scalpers, you will get a console eventually, save yourself some cash and have more games to play when you do get one.

Alternatively, if you can’t wait then sign up to a discord bot or twitter bot. You will get one, I’ve had ample opportunities for both Xbox and PS5 and managed to get consoles for family members with little effort.

Skifi28

If the definition of "entrepreneur" is being paid to solve a problem you helped create, he is one for sure.

Moneal

If the definition of "entrepreneur" is being paid to solve a problem you helped create, he is one for sure.
Did he create the problem of people having more money than time? Did he create the chip shortage? Did he create the problem of MS Sony and GPU companies not having supply to meet demand?

Skifi28

Did he create the problem of people having more money than time? Did he create the chip shortage? Did he create the problem of MS Sony and GPU companies not having supply to meet demand?
I didn't say create, but helped create, they most certainly share part of the blame. On top of all the shortages, scalping is only adding insult to injury.

Last edited:
entrepreneurs
sakura haruno naruto GIF
I cant wait for these people to be upside down in 2 years time they didnt create anything they didnt invent anything they dont even run a legit and registered Third party business they just the part time couch slob that sells stuff on the side and calls it a business.

baphomet

This thread is hilarious.

You can't get a PS5 because you're not putting in as much effort as millions of other people are willing to. And not even scalpers, just average Joe's wanting one.

Creating entrepreneurs huh?

If this is all legit why hide your ugly mug in the article? Show your face.
Oh that's right, you're taking advantage of the chip shortage situation to leech off people by charging them double the amount they should be paying.

FUCK OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Rivet

Scalpers are a bit like stock traders. They're not entrepreneurs. All they do is buy low and sell high.

Their net effect on us is the rich (or the desperate) have more consoles, and the others have less consoles. The total number of consoles obviously stays the same.

In no way those people are useful, as someone said, they're parasites.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I mean this is no different than brickseek, hotstock, etc. that have paid subscriptions. It’s stupid, but if a entity can monetize something they will.

Top Bottom