• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 coming first in NA, later in other regions?

Apparently, the website used to say "Holiday 2020" but it has been changed for "Late 2020" for the U.K.

For Canada and the US, it remains Holiday 2020.

U.K. site

U.S. site

Some other news outlets are reporting the story. Anybody noticed if there has been a change from Holiday 2020 to late 2020?

It's a week old but wccfetch(who admittedly always put clickbait bullshit) reported on this;

Here stating;
The fact that the ability to register your interest in pre-ordering a PlayStation 5 was only made available to the North American market makes much more sense, looking at this.

Some might say that a game’s launch window doesn’t necessarily reflect Sony’s PS5 release plans. However, Sony’s PS5 product page for Great Britain saw a recent update that changed the release window so that it’s in line with the Black Ops Cold War delay. Instead of holiday 2020, UK buyers should expect a late 2020 launch date. The PS5 pages for France, Germany, and Japan also say the console is coming out at the end of 2020, according to Google translations. The US PS5 page still has that original “holiday 2020” estimate.

Source

Last edited:

GymWolf

Late 2020 is holiday 2020.
giphy.gif

In the UK we don't call that season "Holidays". That's an american thing.

That could be the reasoning.
We don't call it Holiday here in the UK so it would be Late 2020
You guys ever noticed the site going from Holiday to Late 2020? Or it's always been this way?

Europe doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving so Holiday 2020 wouldn't make sense there.
Thanksgiving in Canada is in mid-October.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Apparently, the website used to say "Holiday 2020" but it has been changed for "Late 2020" for the U.K.

For Canada and the US, it remains Holiday 2020.

U.K. site

U.S. site

Some other news outlets are reporting the story. Anybody noticed if there has been a change from Holiday 2020 to late 2020?

It's a week old but wccfetch(who admittedly always put clickbait bullshit) reported on this;

Here stating;

As others have already told you, you're overthinking this and the sites reporting this are the usual charlatans desperate for clicks on Labor day.

North America is the only place where "Holiday 2020" indicates the October-November period. Everywhere else in the world, "Holiday 2020" means Christmas, and this ain't coming on Christmas, so "late" applies to November, Holiday does not.

Saying "Holidays 2020" in Europe for a November date would be objectively incorrect and it would confuse people.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
It is but there's also this;

PlayStation-5-RoW-Seemingly-Delayed-02-Black-Ops-Image.jpg

Yup. That's pretty much a staggered launch. But it's for COD, no the PS5.

Jim Ryan said 8 months ago that the staggered release of the PS4 was a mistake.

“I cannot comment on the timing of release or launch markets,” said Ryan. “However, the three-month delay for the release of PlayStation 4 in Japan was a decision that I was deeply involved in. There was reasonable ground for that decision, but these days I do not think that was a good idea. It was a decision made after much debate, but there may have been other options.”

Kdad

Europe doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving so Holiday 2020 wouldn't make sense there for a November launch.

How does that explain Canada being lumped in...our Thanksgiving is Monday Oct 12 2020, in the US it is November 26 2020

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The Dutch site has a vaguer date.

ps5xjkdo.jpg

Najaar 2020 = Fall 2020

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Christmas is technically still 2020.
You guys ever noticed the site going from Holiday to Late 2020? Or it's always been this way?

Thanksgiving in Canada is in mid-October.
WTF

Last edited by a moderator:
How does that explain Canada being lumped in...our Thanksgiving is Monday Oct 12 2020, in the US it is November 26 2020
Yeah, generally our Holiday period is considered the Christmas period, Thanksgiving to my knowledge is normally not included which is what I find puzzling.

Possible it releases in Europe like 2 weeks later like with the PS5. Wouldn't be a big deal and wouldn't be a delay per say because they haven't confirmed a worldwide launch as far as I'm aware.

whyman

Swedish site says Christmas 2020 so I guess that's it then. Angry that I will have to wait and if Microsoft releases here first.. maybe.
kG7QYEw.jpg

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Probably just localisation. A lot of English speaking regions probably just inherit the master copy and then localise it to local tastes.

Updated the OP. According to a website, the release window has indeed been updated on the PS5's page. Some guys on reddit are also saying the original page was "November 2020" but it has been updated to "Late 2020".

I mean it only makes sense, remember when there were "more important voices" (some American criminals) to be heard yet the rest of the world didn't matter? Of course the DiversityStation launches in the home of the correctly gendered first!

MadYarpen

Polish website says Christmas time 2020. I read this as December, or I guess the end of November / beginning of December. Christmas shopping is a big thing here...

THE:MILKMAN

I'm not sure why Sony even changed the date from 'Holiday' to 'late' 2020 this late in the day as none of the big retailers have changed the register interest graphics with Holiday on.

I think it is quite simple, though:

COD release is 13th
Thanksgiving is the 26th

Not sure how likely it would be to release PS5 on the 27th in NA or whether a week before/after is more likely but in the rest of the world a late Nov/early Dec release actually is late/winter/Christmas 2020 to most people.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Updated the OP. According to a website, the release window has indeed been updated on the PS5's page. Some guys on reddit are also saying the original page was "November 2020" but it has been updated to "Late 2020".

It's funny when you see someone who has been overthinking something just cannot let go of their "gotcha" conspiracy theories.

Citing "some guys on Reddit" must be the climax of hilarious. Sony never officially mentioned "November 2020" anywhere, so there goes that.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
If it's still 2020, you can't really say it's delayed. The holidays run until New Years Eve on the last day of the year. And November can also be considered late 2020.

It seems like two ways of saying the same thing.

Last edited:
November : US and Canada
December : ROTW

It's what I'm expecting since they are still pushing a 2020 release date. However there will be a big shortage.

It's funny when you see someone who has been overthinking something just cannot let go of their "gotcha" conspiracy theories.

Citing "some guys on Reddit" must be the climax of hilarious. Sony never officially mentioned "November 2020" anywhere, so there goes that.
What gotcha conspiracy? I said "delay" might be the wrong word because as far as I’m aware, they never mentioned a worldwide release so it seems possible it comes out in NA in mid-November and around Christmas in Europe or before. At least a poster here has said the Polish page says Christmas 2020.

And some guys on reddit are a valid source. It’s a public page I never paid attention to. It seems no one did either hence why I asked if it had been updated. The site I linked said it did and other people who paid attention said so as well.

Last edited:
If it's still 2020, you can't really say it's delayed. The holidays run until New Years Eve on the last day of the year. And November can also be considered late 2020.

It seems like two ways of saying the same thing.
Yeah "delay" is a poor choice of words on my part.

Zato

Banned
Late 2020 in UK is November / December (can't be any later than that or its the next year).

We don't use the term Holidays.

Late 2020 in UK is November / December (can't be any later than that or its the next year).

We don't use the term Holidays.
It hasn't stopped Tesco from putting Christmas food out! (Am i the first Brit to moan about this in 2020? do i win a prize?)

OT: it would make more sense to delay in NA and launch on time for the rest of the world.

Vawn

Banned
This has to be a meme at this point.

I have never heard anyone in the UK say holiday to describe Nov. But late 2020 to me means Nov or Dec.

To me, "holiday" means anytime between Thanksgiving to Christmas, maybe New Year's Eve. But there is no actual definition, as far as I know.

Exede

Late 2020 makes way more sense outside the US. We have no holiday season in germany and i'm sure a ton of other countrys don't have one, too.

Top Bottom