• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Doesn't Feature Xbox Series X/S-Style Quick Resume Game Swapping (Gamespot)

MrFunSocks

Banned
It could jump them straight into a lobby. Not just the menu.
And so can quick resume then. If the developers are going to make shortcuts like that that will not only load the game but will then connect to the online services, then they can do it so when a game comes back from quick resume it connects to online services too.

And again - a lobby is just a menu deeper than the main menu. No one in the history of gaming has lost engagement with a game because they couldn't just jump straight to a different menu lol.

And so can quick resume then. If the developers are going to make shortcuts like that that will not only load the game but will then connect to the online services, then they can do it so when a game comes back from quick resume it connects to online services too.

And again - a lobby is just a menu deeper than the main menu. No one in the history of gaming has lost engagement with a game because they couldn't just jump straight to a different menu lol.

That doesn't happen with suspend/resume and it won't happen with quick resume.

And once again, QR you're limited to 4 or 5 games and less than that if you have any single player games that are suspended

It's the better feature for it. Just accept it. QR does it's own thing which it's good at.

Shmunter

Anything is possible with software and we can hope of ideal scenarios based on speculation. On PS5 tho, it's no longer speculation - it's a core feature.

sainraja

You mean the last game that you played? Yes, but that's not what we're talking about lol. On the Xbox you could have 5 separate games all open on their menus and switch between them.

I understand that. Read my post again

PS5 does have quick resume. It just doesn't keep saved states for 5 additional games. It's wrong to say PS5 doesn't have quick resume because it does have it - quick resume does not necessarily mean resume the last 5 games you played.

mortal

Gold Member
Cold boot has nothing to do with why this is a great feature.

I don't care how quickly a game boots, I care about being able to turn off a game at literally any time without having to worry about save points or anything like that, and being able to come back directly to that exact second later on. That's a huge feature. Cold boot being fast is irrelevant. You'll still have to re-do that entire mission that you were at the end of without quick resume. You'll still have to start that boss fight again without quick resume.

Fast cold boot != quick resume.
I never stated that fast cold boot was the same as quick resume though...

Like I said it's a great feature, but we're talking literally several seconds here.
That in of itself is a tremendous improvement to have on both consoles considering what we have to deal this past console gen. So I wouldn't consider it irrelevant.

Your boss fight example is such an odd one, because at least for me I wouldn't even want to leave a boss fight midway like that because It would break my focus.
It's similar to leaving a match in a fighting game midway. I'd rather start off fresh with a locked in focus, especially for games like Demon's Souls.

I guess I don't feel the need to jump between 3-4 games at a time when loading has been cut down considerably already.
I can see it being more useful when you don't know what you want to play and tend to start and stop sessions a lot lol.

Last edited:

sainraja

Yeah, I think having quick resume for up to 5 or so games isn't a bad feature; but it's just a nice to have feature (I guess when I do get the Xbox and try it out, I will most likely have to re-assess but I am never jumping between so many games.)

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Pretty wack no way you spin it.
Whether the method takes up more space or not, we should be given the option.
Here’s to hoping it can be added later

dano1

A Sheep
I think that feature is nice but now with the speeds of the new SSDs is it really necessary? Obviously if people want it enough it’s a software update but if it’s taking up 50 gigs to do it I better see a way to disable it !!

That doesn't happen with suspend/resume and it won't happen with quick resume.

And once again, QR you're limited to 4 or 5 games and less than that if you have any single player games that are suspended

It's the better feature for it. Just accept it. QR does it's own thing which it's good at.

QR supports up to 12 games.

Developers have to support this feature. If they don’t, it will be useless.
Quick resume is way better, because it will work with all games, even BC games.
also, the whole point of this is to save time.
these cards don’t save much time. You still have through a List of cards and search the correct one. This takes time.
Also you will still have to save your Game. Again, takes more time.

with quick resume, just turn console off. Or play another game. No need to save. No need to go through a list and find the correct one.
no need for a dev to do anything.

Quick resume is million times better. Easily.
I think that feature is nice but now with the speeds of the new SSDs is it really necessary? Obviously if people want it enough it’s a software update but if it’s taking up 50 gigs to do it I better see a way to disable it !!

it’s not only about loading. It’s about starting again where you left. Making things easier. No need to save games anymore. No need to do anything. It’s about making things easier.
Also, devs don’t have to do anything.

Last edited:
QR supports up to 12 games.

Developers have to support this feature. If they don’t, it will be useless.
Quick resume is way better, because it will work with all games, even BC games.
also, the whole point of this is to save time.
these cards don’t save much time. You still have through a List of cards and search the correct one. This takes time.
Also you will still have to save your Game. Again, takes more time.

with quick resume, just turn console off. Or play another game. No need to save. No need to go through a list and find the correct one.
no need for a dev to do anything.

Quick resume is million times better. Easily.

We'll have to see how well supported the cards system will be

They both have their limitations and do things better than the other.

Also, I'd say skipping splash screens and the menu and jumping straight into the game saves a lot of time.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I never stated that fast cold boot was the same as quick resume though...

Like I said it's a great feature, but we're talking literally several seconds here.
That in of itself is a tremendous improvement to have on both consoles considering what we have to deal this past console gen. So I wouldn't consider it irrelevant.

Your boss fight example is such an odd one, because at least for me I wouldn't even want to leave a boss fight midway like that because It would break my focus.
It's similar to leaving a match in a fighting game midway. I'd rather start off fresh with a locked in focus, especially for games like Demon's Souls.

I guess I don't feel the need to jump between 3-4 games at a time when loading has been cut down considerably already.
I can see it being more useful when you don't know what you want to play and tend to start and stop sessions a lot lol.
Life gets in the way. You might be a kid or at uni or something, but those of us with a family and lots of real world commitments don’t have the pleasure of just being able to play something until we are done.

also if you think that these cards are only gonna take second then loading the game the normal way is only gonna take seconds, cause it’s still loading the same thing. If you think that loading a card is gonna be significantly faster than just loading the game and clicking on multiplayer I think you’re going to be disappointed.

DelireMan7

old.jpg

TimFL

There goes my dream of playing five games at the same time.
This is not really why Quick Resume is a cool technology.

The cool thing about it is that it‘s essentially a state store of your current gaming session. Imagine taking a nosedive jump from a skyscraper in Miles Morales, then switching to R&C for a few hours. The second you return to Miles Morales, you‘re right back in that nosedive without any checkpoint loading.

That‘s the only thing I really like about Quick Resume. Not the fast loading but the state restoration. It essentially voids loading savegames for the time being (as long as the state of the game is cached).

I hope Sony adds something similar in the future.

It's a decent quality of life feature but it's not a must for me personally. Games (native next gen) are already loading at crazy speeds but I understand why people are excited by it, its just not a deal breaker for me.

Jigga

This is a no life feature lol
I’m sorry but it is
Why am I playing that many games at once lol

im not a loser.It had to be said lol

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This is a no life feature lol
I’m sorry but it is
Why am I playing that many games at once lol

im not a loser.It had to be said lol

You are on a forum that talks about videogames, not even plays.....just talks about videogames.
You had/have the time to actual post what you posted.

And you comments are:
This is a no life feature?
Im not a loser?

Hmm might want to rethink that buddy.

Jigga

You are on a forum that talks about videogames, not even plays.....just talks about videogames.
You had/have the time to actual post what you posted.

And you comments are:
This is a no life feature?
Im not a loser?

Hmm might want to rethink that buddy.
Are u going to have 6 games running? Lol

NinjaBoiX

This is one of those “but why?” moments for me. What’s the point in having multiple games suspended all at once when they load in a matter of seconds now anyway?
Quick resume isn't just loading the game fast. That's what people keep misunderstanding. It means I can shut my Xbox off in the middle of a game and start right back where I left off. The same exact place. No check point (if supported).
You can do that on PS5, just like you could on PS4.

MastaKiiLA

If hopping between multiple games every session is a must, you'll probably want to get a XSX. I see no issue with that. If it's not a requirement for you, you can probably consider whichever machine has the games you want. Pretty simple, right? I don't know why people get up in their feels about this kind of stuff. No console will ever have all the features of the other ones, so there'll always be some give and take. XSX won't have cards. Just reverse the argument for that.

NinjaBoiX

3 maybe 4 if there are two SP games im going through that month.

My MP shooter.
My Adventure/Action SP game.
My chill vibe game.

Being able to go into an MP session quickly and once done switch back to my SP title right where I left off is a god send.
Then when you go back to your MP shooter it’s kicked you for inactivity, so you need to close the error message and go back to the main menu anyway. At which point you may as well boot it from cold.

I really don’t see the point of it, I’d rather have the extra storage space.

Black_Stride

Then when you go back to your MP shooter it’s kicked you for inactivity, so you need to close the error message and go back to the main menu anyway. At which point you may as well boot it from cold.

I really don’t see the point of it, I’d rather have the extra storage space.

No because when I finished the match im in the "Multiplayer" menu.
When I switch back to the game I just have to click search for match.
Im not quick switching in the middle of an actual game?

The main advantage is I usually get invites to play MP when im playing an SP game, so I either have to keep going till I find a checkpoint or savepoint before I can join the match.
With quick resume I could accept the invite immediately and not worry about my SP game progress as when I switch back to it, ill be right where I left off save/or no save.

Same with when im playing multiple SP games, the game im in the mood for when I sit down will be right where I left and if my mood switches because GameX is kicking my ass and im too frustrated for this shit, I can quickly switch over to GameY and feel like a director.....after taking my frustrations out by throwing shit at people I can give GameX another go from right where I left off.

It also all but circumvents bad checkpoint systems in games.
Control notoriously has lengthy sections without checkpoints so you are forced to keep playing till you find one.....with quick resume you could turn the console off at any point knowing youll be where you left off when you get back to this game, whether its the first or second game you play after turning the console on again.

I fully expect Custom Activity Cards to do the same thing, but right now that feature isnt present, but ill def be using it when it does arrive.

TonyK

The quick resume is a cool feature and all, but who really plays 6 games at the same time? Also, couldn’t that feature be patched in later on the PS5?
Don't need to be 6 but 2. For example an open world and a graphic adventure (it's something I do). The possibility to switch between two without thinking on save points it's an amazing feature for me.

Boss Mog

After

12tf
Most powerful console
Halo infinite best looking game ever
Bc is king on xbox
Only xbox does RT
Only Xbox has RDNA2

It's now coming down a pretty pointless feature in the realms of consoles as the defining factor to buy an XSX?

These mother fucking new consoles have SSDs that reduce load times and lazy cunts can't be arsed to wait between closing a game and opening a new one?

Jesus christ.
yep, and Demon Souls and Miles Morales are going to be the best looking games of the next gen launch, that much is clear. I've never had the desire to swap quickly back and forth between 2 games so I don't really understand the appeal of this feature.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I'm getting both a series X and PlayStation 5, but I don't care at all for this feature really. I can't imagine playing 2, let alone more games at once. Or is that something that people do that I don't know about? I mean, what's the big deal?

Cyborg

No big deal for me, I focus always on one game for SP and one for MP. And also Digital Foundry changed a game in 9 seconds. I mean come on!

ITT: A bunch of people that don't have to share their console with their kids or siblings.

I'm looking forward to being able to jump back into my ferrari slipstreaming a porsche down the kemmel straight on lap 23 of 50 after my daughter has finished playing roblox.

Ar¢tos

Quick Resume and always recording DVR are things I don't want. I don't need stuff I won't use wearing the SSD down. The cards are more than enough for me, even if they don't get me in the exact spot where I was in the game.
I hope the DVR can be turned off.

Resenge

Are u going to have 6 games running? Lol
My brother has many games in progress.

He hardly ever finishes a game, it annoys me but its how he has always played games. I guess he enjoys trying out different games and jumping in to whatever game that takes his fancy at the time. Who am I to tell him what to do though, he makes his own money and enjoys the games he buys however he likes. I'm sure he will love this feature and make full use of it.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I hope this gets added later. I would love to have DMC5 suspended in the background for some quick bloody palace.

I could see it being implemented, because why else have the switcher? the home screen already shows your last few played games.

Jigga

My brother has many games in progress.

He hardly ever finishes a game, it annoys me but its how he has always played games. I guess he enjoys trying out different games and jumping in to whatever game that takes his fancy at the time. Who am I to tell him what to do though, he makes his own money and enjoys the games he buys however he likes. I'm sure he will love this feature and make full use of it.
Hey bro I never told you to tell your never to finish things in life lol

that’s your job to be a big bro. Not mine

Quick Resume away buddy

Black_Stride

No big deal for me, I focus always on one game for SP and one for MP. And also Digital Foundry changed a game in 9 seconds. I mean come on!

And with quick resume you would be able to play your SP game, switch to MP and when done return to the SP right where you left off.
Even if you switched the console off....worrying about save points would be nigh irrelevant because the state would be saved.

Resenge

Hey bro I never told you to tell your never to finish things in life lol

that’s your job to be a big bro. Not mine

Quick Resume away buddy
Relax, I wasn't attacking you just having a discussion about something that popped into my mind when I read your post.

Last edited:

Cyborg

And with quick resume you would be able to play your SP game, switch to MP and when done return to the SP right where you left off.
Even if you switched the console off....worrying about save points would be nigh irrelevant because the state would be saved.
Cool stuff for sure but not for me :)

Black_Stride

Cool stuff for sure but not for me :)

You literally described your use case as something quick resume could help you with.
You just dont want to admit it which is fine.

When Sony implement theirs it will be for you i guess.

Dodkrake

Banned
Quick Resume, the feature nobody asked for, nobody will be using frequently and that takes SSD space.

Cards, the feature nobody asked for, nobody will be using frequently and that doesn't take SSD space.

Both have some parallelisms, as both can load a game at a specific point, with Quick Resume being a little more flexible in terms of returning to action as it was and Cards being more flexible in what it allows to happen (join a specific mission, save game, etc).

does the quick resume feature stay active even after fully turning off the xbox? or do you have to leave it in standby for it to stay active?

Top Bottom