• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Doesn't Feature Xbox Series X/S-Style Quick Resume Game Swapping (Gamespot)

If quick resume was a feature of the PS5 everyone would love it instead of downplaying it :)
It's a great feature that I hope Microsoft will bring as a system feature to Windows 10. PC players have plenty of storage so there's potential to have many, many games suspended and available for fast resume.

I also hope something similar will be implemented for PS5 and the next Switch. Consoles are all about fun and there's nothing fun about loading screens.

Like you have said, the only reason why it's downplayed on this forum is because PlayStation can't do it. This is after months of claiming that PS5 will be the fastest device to ever exist. Sad state of fanboyism.

MrFunSocks

Banned
This is one of those “but why?” moments for me. What’s the point in having multiple games suspended all at once when they load in a matter of seconds now anyway?

You can do that on PS5, just like you could on PS4.
Just like many others in here, you seemingly don’t understand what quick resume is, which is baffling because it’s a simple thing.

Can you load a game in a couple of seconds? Sure. How does that help if you had to turn off the console while you were 3/4 through a boss fight and the last checkpoint was 15 mins ago? How does it help you if you were on the last lap of a 50 lap race when all of a sudden you had to turn the console off and then someone else started up another game?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
does the quick resume feature stay active even after fully turning off the xbox? or do you have to leave it in standby for it to stay active?

Its a mem dump.

You can even unplug the console collateral it to your drug dealer, get your fix, pass out, wake up in the morning realize your junky behavior just lost you a 500 dollar console, steal your girlfriends phone get back to you dealer, get the console back and another bump up.
Get home, plug the console back in and continue the game exactly where you were when you first needed to get your fix.

cormack12

Gold Member
This thread is a train wreck lol. I dunno why so many people are obsessed with '5 games'. The bottom line is +1. Anything after that is a bonus.
Would it be a good feature to be able to suspend two games rather than one on PS5 - of course it would.

If you don't see the value in quick resume, then you don't see the value in suspend/resume either.
You're in a single player game, maybe you spend a lot of time on a difficulty mode that reduces checkpoints. The next checkpoint is still a way away but you want to take a break on Fifa or NBA for a bit. Or you family visits and the kids want to play bugsnax but you don't want to lose your progress but can't carry on playing.

Cards won't load you back mid encounter with 40% done.

Now, on a broader point, the simple fix is every game gets quicksave in the menus on PS5 and has a card attached. But that's unlikely.
Games can maybe get more checkpoints and a card for load last checkpoint but this will preclude some difficulty settings.

Dunno why it's so hard for some people to just say, yeah Microsoft implemented a cool feature I wish the PS5 had.

Last edited:

xiseerht

Quick Resume is more that just switching back and fourth between 5-10 games. You could be playing a game that does not have auto saves and only has check point saves. You could just pause your game and literally unplug the power from the system. Take it to your friends house . Turn it back up and be right there at that same point in moments. I don't know how many times I have started playing a game and had to stop what I was doing because of the kids breaking something in the house. Or in FL ,my power going off for no reason.

ZehDon

This is one of those “but why?” moments for me. What’s the point in having multiple games suspended all at once when they load in a matter of seconds now anyway?

You can do that on PS5, just like you could on PS4.
I got my Series X a day early, so I feel like I can answer this one. Games take a few seconds to load, sure... not including the splash screens, the logos, the menus. It all adds up, and quick resume bypasses all of it. For me, that would be good enough, but, where it really shines, is where multiple people are using the one console. I had to go take care of some work stuff, so I paused Forza 7 in the middle of a race, and my wife decided to play Untitled Goose Game. When I came back, she was finished and the console was turned off. From powered off, I was back into my race in less than 10 seconds, sitting on the pause screen, mid-lap, ready to go. Resuming mid-race isn't even an option on current gen, and just getting back into the game would've taken minutes on the Xbox One S. And this feature is at the OS level - every game, first or third party, supports it. That was a real next-gen moment. "Save and quit" is officially obsolete.

Mmnow

I've never seen a feature downplayed as much as this. I was here for when achievements/trophies came in, I was here for the Wii U and the Vita, and I swear I've never seen something get undervalued as much as quick resume.

It's not even fanboyism, I think it's just tunnel vision on its usage. "I don't play five games at one, so it doesn't apply to me." Except, that's the least that it's about.

When I think about the ebenfits I'll have from this, I think both my wife and I will be able to quick resume games on Xbox now, which is a big quality of life improvement over previous generations and over the PS5. But also, my natural tendency to drift in and out of longer games will be slightly less painful. I'll be able to skip splash screens for online games I play semi-regularly. This will sometimes be over months, and, yes, over that period of time a load screen is nothing. But I won't HAVE to do it.

And that's before I even think about the benefit this will have for achievement hunting.

These are not all gamechangers (although quick resume regardless of someone else being on the console definitely is). But it doesn't need to be completely reinventing the wheel for it to be beneficial overall, and over the course of the generation.

Last edited:

xiseerht

I got my Series X a day early, so I feel like I can answer this one. Games take a few seconds to load, sure... not including the splash screens, the logos, the menus. It all adds up, and quick resume bypasses all of it. For me, that would be good enough, but, where it really shines, is where multiple people are using the one console. I had to go take care of some work stuff, so I paused Forza 7 in the middle of a race, and my wife decided to play Untitled Goose Game. When I came back, she was finished and the console was turned off. From powered off, I was back into my race in less than 10 seconds, sitting on the pause screen, mid-lap, ready to go. Resuming mid-race isn't even an option on current gen, and just getting back into the game would've taken minutes on the Xbox One S. And this feature is at the OS level - every game, first or third party, supports it. That was a real next-gen moment. "Save and quit" is officially obsolete.

I have 4 Xboxes in my house and still have the kids playing Minecraft on my system ( I have an awesome tv that is why) So in an hour span , 6 to 7 different games might be played on my system , because the kids like to switch back and fourth. I can not wait to get my Series X tomorrow just for this.

Alan Wake

After

12tf
Most powerful console
Halo infinite best looking game ever
Bc is king on xbox
Only xbox does RT
Only Xbox has RDNA2

It's now coming down a pretty pointless feature in the realms of consoles as the defining factor to buy an XSX?

These mother fucking new consoles have SSDs that reduce load times and lazy cunts can't be arsed to wait between closing a game and opening a new one?

Jesus christ.

Tone it down. It's a great feature for a lot of people and with two consoles being so close in power and performance, of course we're going to want to differentiate the systems from each other somehow. Quick resume is one thing that Xbox does better, simply put. Will it get people to choose Xbox over PS5? Unlikely. But knowing I hop between games a lot I personally love the feature.

TTOOLL

I don't know, I only play one game at a time. I can't see myself starting a game pausing in the middle to go to another game and minutes later come back. Each session of gaming for me is about one game.
Of course, that's just my preference.

I don't know, I only play one game at a time. I can't see myself starting a game pausing in the middle to go to another game and minutes later come back. Each session of gaming for me is about one game.

you don’t get the point. This feature even works if you unplug the console itself!
It’s about switching games every minute, but having 4 games ready to play whenever, usually people play a few different games at times. Not everyone just plays a single games.
also, it’s great for people that share a console.

TTOOLL

you don’t get the point. This feature even works if you unplug the console itself!
It’s about switching games every minute, but having 4 games ready to play whenever, usually people play a few different games at times. Not everyone just plays a single games.
also, it’s great for people that share a console.

Definitely a good thing for certain people, it just doesn't make sense for, especially how fast these new consoles boot games. Less than 10 seconds from what we've seen.

Last edited:

acm2000

quick resume is a great feature, but the sony fans dont need to dismiss it and use it in consoles wars since Sony will most definitely be adding something similar in short time.

xiseerht

Have you ever lost power in your house while you were gaming ? Because with quick resume , you can get right back to it .

Resenge

Have you ever lost power in your house while you were gaming ? Because with quick resume , you can get right back to it .
Is this confirmed? Not that I know but I imagine it has to save a snapshot and if you lose power that snapshot wouldn't get saved would it?

My guess is at best you would go back to the last snapshot you saved rather than the exact spot you lost power at, happy to be wrong though. Who's gonna be the first to pull the power while playing and test it? not me. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Mmnow

Definitely a good thing for certain people, it just doesn't make sense for, especially how fast these new consoles boot games. Less than 10 seconds from what we've seen.
These are numbers I've pulled from thin air, obviously.

10 seconds to boot, 30 seconds of splash screens, 10 seconds to get through menus, 30 seconds to load a checkpoint, minutes (or more) to get back to the point where you turned it off.

Vs 10 seconds to load quick resume. Times that by 5+.

NinjaBoiX

Just like many others in here, you seemingly don’t understand what quick resume is, which is baffling because it’s a simple thing.

Can you load a game in a couple of seconds? Sure. How does that help if you had to turn off the console while you were 3/4 through a boss fight and the last checkpoint was 15 mins ago? How does it help you if you were on the last lap of a 50 lap race when all of a sudden you had to turn the console off and then someone else started up another game?
I don’t understand how this is any different than what you can already do on PS4 (and I assume PS5) though? I can pause a game on my PS4, put it in rest mode, then come back in a matter of seconds to exactly where I was. That’s the same thing right?

Am I missing something?

Yes, I understand Quick Resume allows you to do this with a number of games which is a nice bonus but it’s hardly a dealbreaker. The fundamental functionality of “pausing your progress on the fly” is already a feature, and solves 99% of the issue IMO.
Resuming mid-race isn't even an option on current gen
It is though?

Last edited:

xiseerht

Is this confirmed? Not that I know but I imagine it has to save a snapshot and if you lose power that snapshot wouldn't get saved would it?

My guess is at best you would go back to the last snapshot you saved rather than the exact spot you lost power at, happy to be wrong though. Who's gonna be the first to pull the power while playing and test it? not me. :messenger_winking:

From what I am understanding , that is how it works. I am going to try it out tomorrow lol

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don’t understand how this is any different than what you can already do on PS4 (and I assume PS5) though? I can pause a game on my PS4, put it in rest mode, then come back in a matter of seconds to exactly where I was. That’s the same thing right?

Am I missing something?

Yes, I understand Quick Resume allows you to do this with a number of games which is a nice bonus but it’s hardly a dealbreaker. The fundamental functionality of “pausing your progress on the fly” is already a feature, and solves 99% of the issue IMO.

It is though?
It’s what you can do on the PS4, but instead of 1 game it’s with like 5 games at once, and it saves their state even if you completely shut the console off and even unplug it from the wall.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’s not going to work like that. When you take focus off the game it will do a ram dump to the hard drive. If the console loses power it can’t do this so you’ll lose it. It’s not constantly writing the RAM to the SSD.

NinjaBoiX

It’s what you can do on the PS4, but instead of 1 game it’s with like 5 games at once, and it saves their state even if you completely shut the console off and even unplug it from the wall.
Ah ok, that makes sense, I was struggling to see what the difference was other than the number of games.

So it’s literally creating a save state, rather than just “staying paused” or whatever. Interesting...

Last edited:
Its a mem dump.

You can even unplug the console collateral it to your drug dealer, get your fix, pass out, wake up in the morning realize your junky behavior just lost you a 500 dollar console, steal your girlfriends phone get back to you dealer, get the console back and another bump up.
Get home, plug the console back in and continue the game exactly where you were when you first needed to get your fix.

If this is correct then it's a top feature and if I ever get a xbox I will be using this feature constantly.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If this is correct then it's a top feature and if I ever get a xbox I will be using this feature constantly.

Thats what it is.
Alanah Pearce showed it off.

Because, its a drive memdump it doesnt need power to keep the quick resume queue active.
You can unplug the console, ship it to your cousin in alaska to defeat that one boss. When he turns on the console he'll be right at the point that the boss starts.....as soon as hes finished notices you have that one game he always wanted to try.
He plays a bunch of it then shuts the console down and ships it back to you.

You turn it on notice he was playing that one game, load into to it to see where he was......its the sex scene.........quickly switch back to the boss fight game right as the boss falls and now you can watch the cutscene.
And forget to send your cousin a thank you text.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Don't need to be 6 but 2. For example an open world and a graphic adventure (it's something I do). The possibility to switch between two without thinking on save points it's an amazing feature for me.

Even more: You dont need 2, you need 1. Quick Resume works even after disconnecting the console. That means that after a full turn off, you can turn the console on and your game will be ready to play and at the exact last point to leave it in 8 or so seconds. No splash, Unity / Unreal, brand, publisher screens, no menu, no selecting save file, etc.

NickFire

This is not a feature that I ever expected or want. It sounds like it needlessly takes up system resources to me. I will be perfectly content without it (assuming I ever find a PS5)

Georome

I hope it will be implemented, because it would be very useful for me. I play a lot of sports games. If I suspend in the middle of a game on MLB the Show and I come in and my wife is playing Spyro, I know that game is long gone.

Thirty7ven

Banned
What are you on about mate?

A quick resume feature is handy for suspending a game and coming back later to it, but it won’t improve fast travel loadings.

It’s a nice feature that is specially convenient for BC titles as the loadings there are still slow. But for next gen? I’m sure there are extreme cases where it makes a difference but if the dev simply leads me load a save file through the console dashboard, that will take care of 99% of the use cases.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Although Quick Resume is a cool feature it's one that I'll never use. After watching the DF video on PS5 yesterday, how fast these games boot up on the SSD I don't even see a point to the feature, to be honest.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's really unlikely Sony will be adding quick resume later unless they are using a hypervisor already for PS5 games.

Which.. we have no indication they are doing that.. so as a Ps5 user I don't expect this to ever get added.

Andodalf

Banned
Although Quick Resume is a cool feature it's one that I'll never use. After watching the DF video on PS5 yesterday, how fast these games boot up on the SSD I don't even see a point to the feature, to be honest.

Quick resume takes you back exactly where you were. So You skip loading the game. Then loading the save. Then everything you had done since the last checkpoint, and any unskipable cutscene and whatever else.

waxer

I doubt Sony will implement xbox system. Even if quick resume of at least two games rather than 1 would be nice.

I get the impression behind the scenes Sony are chatting with developers about how to further engagement and add value to games as reason to develop on their console. Vs xbox offering a bunch of games on subscription service and quick change feels more like they are going in another direction.

Sony are giving devs ways to further engagement(should they choose) and give reasons to extend playtime on activities some might give up on like using cards to fast travel to trophies. The cards themselves become trophy of sorts in that they can be activities which I assume will be shared socially to your friends.

If I fully complete a game that can have perceived value as can total playtime.

Or to help get through frustrating spot with video pip. Or to allow you to chat with friends pip so you can complete what your doing rather than jump straight over to join them. Which is also an advert for whatever your playing if other person doesn't have the game.

Long term depending on card development uptake I'll be curious to see which ends up being truly faster as far as my total playtime saved and if sonys approach in turn means I'm more likely to spend longer on activities I may not have completed otherwise.

The time/frustratiin savings of starting exactly where left off on occasions if I changed game rather than preserved in rest mode Vs time savings cards can bring to activities such as collecting powerful armour. Getting trophies etc.

Only time will tell. Personally I think sonys has more potential. Ms just does what it does now and well so it leaves the Sony one as potential of what's to come vs available now. Opening up arguments.

However I also think that comparing quick resume to only cards does a disservice to the overall picture of what sonys system is trying to achieve. It's the whole of the features and how they interact and are used simultaneously that make them great.

Both also have different benefits depending on a person's playstyle number of users etc.

frogger

this is something Sony can build in to later firmware, but at the cost of another 100GB SSD space on a already very small SSD.

Keihart

The real next gen UI function, which sadly is missing in PS5. At least xbox has something over PS this time, nothing else about the box is screaming next gen.
With that said, quick resume it's so so sexy.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Ah ok, that makes sense, I was struggling to see what the difference was other than the number of games.

So it’s literally creating a save state, rather than just “staying paused” or whatever. Interesting...
Yes, it's dumping the entire ram to the hard drive. It's saving the exact state of 5 games, and you can pick up where you left off to the exact millisecond the next time you play even if you unplug the console from the wall.

This can be added later. What can’t be added later is actual fast travel, which quick resume won’t do anything to improve.

*cue people saying they never use fast travel anyway*
This can only be added later if sony already reserved enough space on the SSD for 5x16gb RAM dumps. We know they reserved a lot already, but we don't know if they have dedicated almost 100gb of that to this feature.

What do you mean "actual fast travel"? Are you implying that all PS5 games have "actual fast travel" but they don't on xbox?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Life gets in the way. You might be a kid or at uni or something, but those of us with a family and lots of real world commitments don’t have the pleasure of just being able to play something until we are done.

also if you think that these cards are only gonna take second then loading the game the normal way is only gonna take seconds, cause it’s still loading the same thing. If you think that loading a card is gonna be significantly faster than just loading the game and clicking on multiplayer I think you’re going to be disappointed.
Why would I be disappointed? Especially coming off of 30 seconds to even a minute long loading times from last gen.

I feel you're really understating just how incredibly quick it is to jump between games on PS5.

Top Bottom