• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Exploit: Fail0verflow show decrypted PS5 firmware files

Bullet Club

PS5 Security Allegedly Cracked, Console Jailbroken by Popular Hacker​

PS5 security has been allegedly cracked and a proof-of-concept screenshot was shared by the popular hacker theflow on his Twitter account.

theflow was also behind the PSVita jailbreak which led to the console being able to run homebrew. He has also worked on cracking a few other systems including the PS4.

In a Twitter post, the security engineer shared a screenshot revealing the debug controls for the PS5. This implies that he was able to get around the security of the system and gain access to the developer controls, which are typically limited to development kits of the console.

In another tweet, theflow, whose real name is Andy Nguyen stated that he has no plans to disclose the details behind this method. He didn’t provide any ETA either.

Sony does have a bounty program for hackers that provides an incentive for them to report any flaws in their security. They usually offer a handsome reward for any such flaws that are reported for their hardware or software. The same is true for several other big companies like Valve and Microsoft.

PlayStation 5 was released last November so it seems like such a flaw being discovered this fast could be a serious threat to Sony if it is out in the public. While the PS4 also had a flaw with its security, Sony could easily bypass it with a firmware update and it took hackers a lot of time to crack the latest firmware thus slowing the progress of console hacking. Microsoft’s Xbox One meanwhile remains unhacked which was a big step up for them after the failure of the Xbox 360’s security.

Source: Twisted Voxel

Thaedolus

Seems like with the horsepower of the new consoles the home brew possibilities should be awesome. I’m not interested in piracy, but you’d think emulators could be able to run even more recent consoles accurately at full speed…

In any case, I guess we’ll have to wait and see about any exploits making it into the wild and how fool proof they are

Excuse Me Reaction GIF

We've been getting stability updates since the console release. Can't remember fuck ups due to those updates so far...?
Ah, I'm just talking out of my ass, don't mind me. The only thing that really left me butthurt was that controller firmware update that I'm pretty sure killed its battery life. I know it's improbable and I'm being irrational but still.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
good for sony i guess, heard that sony is paying him to discover exploit.

cireza

Banned
Seems like with the horsepower of the new consoles the home brew possibilities should be awesome. I’m not interested in piracy, but you’d think emulators could be able to run even more recent consoles accurately at full speed…

In any case, I guess we’ll have to wait and see about any exploits making it into the wild and how fool proof they are
This has been available for months on Xbox Series through retroarch.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Oh no. Now all the green rats will violate the sacred box!!1!

i guess this is why people were saying it’s pirates and reviewers playing forza in the 1 million players thread?
they were getting ready for the ps5 haxxors!
no gamepass or ps now required when everything is free!

btw, this is a Joke I hate pirates outside of monkey island, sea of thieves and any other we’ll renowned gaming franchise that include pirates….like Pirates the rts.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Now make it run all ps4 games at enhanced mode,
you gave a good fight Bloodborne.

Oh no. Now all the green rats will violate the sacred box!!1!
Are you going to spread that shit thread in the forum and turn the other threads in to shit threads?

cHaOs667

AHH, no doubt using the old break space and RANDOMIZE USR 28455 trick before adding the relevant PEEK and POKE values...if I had to hazard a guess at Mr Flow's methods.
Damn, that instantly brought back some memories. Back in the days, with my C64, I owned a whole book only covering PEEK and POKE commands.

Barakov

PS5 Security Allegedly Cracked, Console Jailbroken by Popular Hacker​

PS5 security has been allegedly cracked and a proof-of-concept screenshot was shared by the popular hacker theflow on his Twitter account.

theflow was also behind the PSVita jailbreak which led to the console being able to run homebrew. He has also worked on cracking a few other systems including the PS4.

In a Twitter post, the security engineer shared a screenshot revealing the debug controls for the PS5. This implies that he was able to get around the security of the system and gain access to the developer controls, which are typically limited to development kits of the console.

In another tweet, theflow, whose real name is Andy Nguyen stated that he has no plans to disclose the details behind this method. He didn’t provide any ETA either.

Sony does have a bounty program for hackers that provides an incentive for them to report any flaws in their security. They usually offer a handsome reward for any such flaws that are reported for their hardware or software. The same is true for several other big companies like Valve and Microsoft.

PlayStation 5 was released last November so it seems like such a flaw being discovered this fast could be a serious threat to Sony if it is out in the public. While the PS4 also had a flaw with its security, Sony could easily bypass it with a firmware update and it took hackers a lot of time to crack the latest firmware thus slowing the progress of console hacking. Microsoft’s Xbox One meanwhile remains unhacked which was a big step up for them after the failure of the Xbox 360’s security.

Source: Twisted Voxel

XgdbWk0.jpg

Now brake the code, port Retroarch on PS5 and that would be, for me, the ultimate console.

Can Sony let Retroarch run on PS4 and PS5 (and find a way to stop from being playable already ported classic)? That would prevent most of the people to jailbreack their console.

Dr.Morris79

Is the PS5 powerful to run PS1 games though even if Retroarch gets put on it?

I dont think it can, the PS4 couldnt as I bought the PS1 library on my PS3 but these new consoles wouldnt download them for some reason?

I honestly believe these new consoles cant run old games. Jim told me no one wants to play them either, they look a bit rubbish

I'm, in a way, glad, I know I spent money on these items but coupled with the fact they cant run on these new systems and they look shit I think Jim was really looking out for us

God bless him.

Fools idol

Banned
hey, if It somehow allows me to boot my entire playstation library from any console via emulator or whatever on ps5 im all for it. Not all for piracy though.. and I expect Sony will act quickly to fix..

Allandor

This was quite fast. I thought that something like this should be almost impossible because of the use of freebsd (or whatever they were using). Seems like they forgot some patches or something like this.

turn your ps5 into a pc. for 500$ you have something like

ryzen zen2 8 cores
Radeon RX 5700 XT
16gb gddr6 + 512mb ddr4
1gb ssd
As a PC, without the right drivers, the GPU is quite useless and I don't think that AMD will release some kind of compatible driver (e.g. for linux if it runs at some point on a cracked ps5).

Last edited:
Top Bottom