• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 external HDD to external SSD ?

Damigos

So i have a 2 TB HDD connected to my PS5 for my PS4 games. I want to upgrade to a 1 or 2 TB (doesnt matter) SSD m.2 drive.
Can i connect both to my console and transfer games with copy paste ?

I am asking because all i found on google is i can only have 1 external drive at a time.

Thank you in advance for your time

Valkyria

Banned
No.
I did the same proccess several weeks ago from a 2TB hdd to a 5TB hdd.
What I did:
-Copied everything from the internal ssd to the new hdd.
-From the old hhdd move it in batches into the internal sdd
-Move the batch from the internal sdd to the new one
-Repeat until finished.

Yes it that shitty an took a long time. They should let do as Microsoft or at least the ability to do a copy of the full external hdd.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Damigos Damigos : The m.2 you get is not external, so you can copy your games to it without problems. When you insert a m.2 drive it becomes internal.

Valkyria Valkyria is giving advice on 2 external drives.

Last edited:

Damigos

Sorry i took a long time to reply.
I meant external SSD (P50 from Western Digital to be exact).

So, can the PS5 recognise 2 EXTERNAL drives and copy and paste from one to another ?
Or do i have to plug 1 in, copy to internal, plug 2nd one, paste to external etc ?

kyliethicc

So i have a 2 TB HDD connected to my PS5 for my PS4 games. I want to upgrade to a 1 or 2 TB (doesnt matter) SSD m.2 drive.
Can i connect both to my console and transfer games with copy paste ?

I am asking because all i found on google is i can only have 1 external drive at a time.

Thank you in advance for your time
The PS5's M.2 storage is internal. Not external.

You can use an M.2 drive as external storage via a USB enclosure, but I doubt that's your desire.

Sorry i took a long time to reply.
I meant external SSD (P50 from Western Digital to be exact).

So, can the PS5 recognise 2 EXTERNAL drives and copy and paste from one to another ?
Or do i have to plug 1 in, copy to internal, plug 2nd one, paste to external etc ?

You can only use 1 external USB drive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom