• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Firmware Update In March Will Add Variable Refresh Rate and 4K/120 FPS Support

Fredrik

This is the one thing that irks me the most. How the fuck did Sony drop the ball on this one?
I'm also glad I can't get a PS5 right now. The dual sense is stick drifting issues and expandable storage are a big deal breaker for me right now. I hope these things get ironed out in future revisions of the console.
Yeah it’s why I’m on the fence for a revision or Pro instead. I just don’t finish games fast enough for this to not be an issue, and some games are basically never-ending. It’s the same on my current PC, I want everything on the m2 disc but it’s only 500GB... Drives me crazy to see the out of space message, I always have to uninstall something to install something! 😤

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Better late than never. I didn't expect to find myself picking high framerate over visual quality this gen but 120fps has been a complete game changer on series X.

paypay88

Banned
what makes people to believe this Fake Ass Internet Celebs ? Maybe I should do a career like him on Twitter as long as there are morons to believe what I say

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Better late than never. I didn't expect to find myself picking high framerate over visual quality this gen but 120fps has been a complete game changer on series X.
The headline is incorrect, 4K@120 Hz HDR is already supported (YUV 4:2:2 and not RGB though).

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
VRR not much benefit for PS5 gamers with majority of games practically locked 60. 120fs games may benefit, but there aren’t many.

Hope such a feature doesn’t make devs lazy, rolling out less optimised code hoping no one notices.
Imo, enabling VRR should automatically lock all 60hz games to 59fps to always stay in the low lag, freesync enabled zone.
I lock to 58fps on my pc globally and it eliminates all lag, stutter and tearing

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Imo, enabling VRR should automatically lock all 60hz games to 59fps to always stay in the low lag, freesync enabled zone.
I lock to 58fps on my pc globally and it eliminates all lag, stutter and tearing
Until they fix new OLED panels not to mess up when you enable VRR, I will stay with VRR off unless devs stop bothering with framerate optimisations and let it wildly fluctuate. That would suck...

I'll be pleased that PS5 owners finally get smooth framerates and overcome screen tearing, it's bad they are still waiting for features that the last gen Xbox had years ago. Hopefully they get expandable storage as well as juggling that tiny internal SSD must be a nightmare.
Riky a few of us were having a light hearted joke at your vrr obsession. Instead you turn that into yet another ridiculous console war post. Reread your post not everything has to be some sad console war.

The ps5 has expandable storage you know this already. There’s just none commercial ones fast enough yet. Have fun paying nearly $200 for 1tb proprietary storage with no other options though.

This is the one thing that irks me the most. How the fuck did Sony drop the ball on this one?
I'm also glad I can't get a PS5 right now. The dual sense is stick drifting issues and expandable storage are a big deal breaker for me right now. I hope these things get ironed out in future revisions of the console.

Why are you engaging with his nonsense, he’s just trolling.

Riky

$MSFT
Riky a few of us were having a light hearted joke at your vrr obsession. Instead you turn that into yet another ridiculous console war post. Reread your post not everything has to be some sad console war.

The ps5 has expandable storage you know this already. There’s just none commercial ones fast enough yet. Have fun paying nearly $200 for 1tb proprietary storage with no other options though.

Why are you engaging with his nonsense, he’s just trolling.

It has the potential for expandable storage, but doesn't actually have it yet. Same with VRR.
You're all upset but like I said I'll be happy for PS5 owners to get the sort of performance I'm getting with my Xbox and VRR, if people are prepared to invest that much in a console and TV they deserve it.

Krisprolls

Banned
It has the potential for expandable storage, but doesn't actually have it yet. Same with VRR.

A bit like the Series X has the potential to have good exclusive games, but it has none right now.

Maybe 5 % of people have VRR, so it's a non factor right now. Very few people have it.

It's more useful on Series X anyway due to lower framerates and screen tearing on games compared to PS5, and it's not a magic bullet, it doesn't magically add the missing frames on Series X. It's still better having more frames like on PS5.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
A bit like the Series X has the potential to have good exclusive games, but it has none right now.

Maybe 5 % of people have VRR, so it's a non factor right now. Very few people have it.

It's more useful on Series X anyway due to lower framerates and screen tearing on games like Valhalla compared to PS5, and it's not a magic bullet, it doesn't magically add the missing frames on Series X. It's still better having more frames like on PS5.

It's the PS5 that now has the screen tearing on Valhalla, stop clinging to those launch comparisons.

LiPhrEA.jpg

Krisprolls

Banned
It's true on Cyberpunk 1.11 too by the way, which runs better on PS5 now on the latest patch.

VRR or not, my point is it just helps with tearing, it won't give you back the missing frames here :

cyberpunk-1-11.png

You get more input lag even with VRR due to having less frames. And once again, nobody has VRR on his TV anyway, it's a feature very few people have, and those who do generally have a LG OLED so they have problems with it (for example, on my C9 or on a CX, VRR has light flickering anyway, see Vincent Teoh's video on the subject, so I'm not sure it makes sense using it even if you have a Series X).

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
As someone with a LG C9 who is going to benefit from VRR when/if it's properly implemented, I think enabling that whitelist for PCIe 4 NVMe expansion should have taken priority. Perhaps they're both coming at the same time with a major firmware upgrade.
Regardless, I wonder if the display output firmware upgrade will also boost the maximum HDMI bandwidth, to support RGB 4:4:4 at 4K120. Not that the difference from 4:2:2 or even 4:2:0 would be perceivable on most TVs though.

VRR not much benefit for PS5 gamers with majority of games practically locked 60. 120fs games may benefit, but there aren’t many.
The use of VRR will be limited on games that depend on dynamic resolution to maintain the target framerates (which is almost every AAA title nowadays), but there's always something to gain.
Regardless, I think devs will simply keep targeting 30, 60 or 120FPS. As long as they leave an option out for uncapped framerates, VRR should only be a good (even if mostly unnoticed) thing. Even the 30FPS games that operate below the minimum framerate threshold (40Hz on LG OLEDs I think?) could have something to gain on 120Hz due to Low Framerate Compensation.

I'll be pleased that PS5 owners finally get smooth framerates and overcome screen tearing, it's bad they are still waiting for features that the last gen Xbox had years ago. Hopefully they get expandable storage as well as juggling that tiny internal SSD must be a nightmare.
The PS5 has 17% lower storage space but even the multiplatform games take up to 42% less storage, without similar optimizations even being on the horizon for Series consoles.
If you're worried about the PS5 users having a "nightmare" with their storage, I can't begin to imagine how much suffering you think the SeriesX users are going through, let alone the SeriesS with 360GB of free storage.

You're all upset but like I said I'll be happy for PS5 owners to get the sort of performance I'm getting with my Xbox and VRR, if people are prepared to invest that much in a console and TV they deserve it.

Hahah more vrrrrr voom. Has potential? Does the ps5 have slots for storage yes or no? The answer is yes.

What’s this magical performance? You mean fps right? Well yeah I’m sure Ps5 owners are getting the same/better since their games have more stable 60fps.
I see you’ve shifted the conversation to asscreed now. It’s like a never ending merry go round with you.
Just keep repeating the same sentences.
Vrr
Hitman 44% resolution
Expandable storage
And using the triggered emoji.

You’ve not used tower of power in awhile. Are you a bot? Either way I’m done entertaining your clown antics.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The PS5 has 17% lower storage space but even the multiplatform games take up to 42% less storage, without similar optimizations even being on the horizon for Series consoles.
If you're worried about the PS5 users having a "nightmare" with their storage, I can't begin to imagine how much suffering you think the SeriesX users are going through, let alone the SeriesS with 360GB of free storage.
41567f525ccb9a5a869c6e97d82935f9.gif

what makes people to believe this Fake Ass Internet Celebs ? Maybe I should do a career like him on Twitter as long as there are morons to believe what I say
Plenty of them in this forum and you don't even need Twitter account to start it off.

Just hop over to Reddit, talk some shit like an insider and you'll get quoted on here in seconds.

On a good day you'll find a dozen Reddit quoted threads in here. It really is quite remarkable how this forum has nosedived into an ocean of 'insider' manure.
The standards was never like this before the mass exodus. Resetera gets a lot of stick but one thing you can't fault them is they have standards in place to stop spread of FUD and misinformation. Not so much here for unknown reasons.

Last edited:

Housh

I hope this rumour is true. Specially for the x900h TVs. Right now 120fps on those TVs is a bit washed out like it's upscaled resolution. I heard that an Android TV update is happening (TV's OS) that is for HDMI 2.1 features. Right now they just are using workarounds to get us 120hz and it's not optimal.

Fingers crossed that Sony will everything sorted out next month.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

How about they fix rest mode first.
I can’t even boot up out of rest mode anymore without it shutting down and then having to manually restart and repair the ssd.
Maybe return your unit? Nu ps5 boots flawless from restmode. And so does 99,99 pct of owners

Mr Moose

You're getting the same performance as everyone else, you are just not seeing it (or seeing it less worse).

martino

Maybe return your unit? Nu ps5 boots flawless from restmode. And so does 99,99 pct of owners
using rest mode for long period like one week, i need to reboot the console to have my controler to work
it's working fine after that....but ps5 rest mode need

also this is a minor problem ...let's not overblown this...

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
This rumor is probably true because the new TVs come out in Spring, so it makes sense to make that firmware move. I just bought the Sony X900H 65 Inches from Costco since it went on sale for $1,169.99. It has only 2 HDMI 2.1 full bandwidth ports and supports 4k/120, and it's still supposed to receive the VRR and ALLM so I'm looking forward to that.

I had no intention of getting a TV from 2020, but I was willing to bite the bullet to check out the TV because ultimately with Costco I have a 90-day return window. Which I'll use if it's worth upgrading to the X90J this year. I will say I'm really impressed by Android TV, Picture Quality and Input Lag is virtually non-existent.

You can play games from the external drive on Series X. BC games will play from any external drive. Series X|S exclusive games will play from the official Seagate external drive.
Right I should've clarified that. Yes if you buy the SSD expansion card on the Series X you can play the games from that. Any other external HDD only lets you store them on there. That's what I want to see on the PS5. Right no you have zero options for expanding your PS5 game storage as only PS4 games can be stored on an external right now.

nahcir

Neo Member
Samsung confirmed a Sony PS5 Update?

Cant wait for LG to confirm the next XBox Update.
It is what it is.

Der Fehler konnte lokalisiert werden und Sony wird voraussichtlich im März ein Update herausbringen, um 4K 120 Hz HDR möglich zu machen.
In English:
The error has been identified and Sony is going to release an update in March, to allow 4K 120 Hz HDR [on Samsung TVs].
Further down the thread somewhere the other things have been confirmed as well.

Last edited:

I find it interesting because there are some drives available that, ON PAPER, are fast enough (SN850, 980 Pro, etc). These drives go for about 230 bucks for 1TB. Of course, it should be noted that while this is as expensive, or slightly more expensive, than the Series Expansion Card, they are about twice as fast, so there's that. There's a deal on Amazon right now for 2TB version (980 Pro) for 400 bucks. I am tempted but am still waiting for official word from Sony first.

I definitely think the Series Expansion Card should be a bit cheaper, closer to 150-170 bucks range. I know it's built with a custom heatsink but I can't imagine that adds THAT much to the cost.

Regarding PS5 expansion drives, It makes me wonder if speed is the real roadblock right now, or if it's more just testing the drives extensively and making sure everything plays nice with the PS5 at the OS level, making sure games aren't crashing more often on the internal expansion, etc.

If these drives aren't fast enough to keep up with what the PS5 is doing, then I guess we might be waiting for awhile longer. I think these hit 7000/5300MB/s read/write. If it is gonna take closer to 9GB/s for an expansion drive to stay in line with the PS5/s internal SSD and I/O requirements, then might have to wait until late this year at the earliest? Or no? I don't know how quickly SSDs advance in speed these days. These are currently the fastest drives available.

As Shmunter Shmunter said, a lot of this can be alleviated by just allowing cold storage on external drive, let gamers quick swap PS5 native games from their external to internal instead of deleting and redownloading, etc. I imagine this is an easier/quicker add than enabling the expansion bay and ensuring drives are 100 percent compatible.

Woody337

I find it interesting because there are some drives available that, ON PAPER, are fast enough (SN850, 980 Pro, etc). These drives go for about 230 bucks for 1TB. Of course, it should be noted that while this is as expensive, or slightly more expensive, than the Series Expansion Card, they are about twice as fast, so there's that. There's a deal on Amazon right now for 2TB version (980 Pro) for 400 bucks. I am tempted but am still waiting for official word from Sony first.

I definitely think the Series Expansion Card should be a bit cheaper, closer to 150-170 bucks range. I know it's built with a custom heatsink but I can't imagine that adds THAT much to the cost.

Regarding PS5 expansion drives, It makes me wonder if speed is the real roadblock right now, or if it's more just testing the drives extensively and making sure everything plays nice with the PS5 at the OS level, making sure games aren't crashing more often on the internal expansion, etc.

If these drives aren't fast enough to keep up with what the PS5 is doing, then I guess we might be waiting for awhile longer. I think these hit 7000/5300MB/s read/write. If it is gonna take closer to 9GB/s for an expansion drive to stay in line with the PS5/s internal SSD and I/O requirements, then might have to wait until late this year at the earliest? Or no? I don't know how quickly SSDs advance in speed these days. These are currently the fastest drives available.

As Shmunter Shmunter said, a lot of this can be alleviated by just allowing cold storage on external drive, let gamers quick swap PS5 native games from their external to internal instead of deleting and redownloading, etc. I imagine this is an easier/quicker add than enabling the expansion bay and ensuring drives are 100 percent compatible.
Sony has been silent about this since last year, part of me wonders if it will ever be an option. Like you said there are several drives that appear to be fast enough to work. I would just love some news about this.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Last edited:

nahcir

Neo Member
As far as I know my own mother language, this sounds like assumption rather than confirmation. But that’s beside the point.
It is interesting that Samsung apparently has some some insider connections.
Well I guess it is, but they've had to deal with the problem themselves because other TVs were able to achieve 4K 120 Hz HDR on the PS5 without any issues. Of course they needed to make sure it wasn't actually a problem on their side and probably have some kind of direct engineer/developer to direct engineer/developer connection going there ;-) So I'm pretty confident the information is accurate.

Top Bottom