• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Firmware Update In March Will Add Variable Refresh Rate and 4K/120 FPS Support

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

PS5 will reportedly get a new firmware update later in March that will add a variable refresh rate support in addition to 4K and 120 FPS.
This rumor comes from insider Tidux, who reveals that big firmware is being released later in March that will add these new features for the console.
Sony hasn’t shared any details on an upcoming firmware update, but they had confirmed that a new firmware update will be released that will add support for the Variable Refresh Rate that was not available at launch for the PS5.
In the ultimate FAQ for the PlayStation 5, Sony addressed the support for Variable Refresh Rate confirming it was coming in a future update.

“PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.”
Sony is also updating its PlayStation 5 ready UHD TVs (X90H) with support for the Variable Refresh Rate. Just like the PS5, these TVs didn’t support it at launch and will be patched in at a later date.

BuffNTuff

Banned
How about they fix rest mode first.
I can’t even boot up out of rest mode anymore without it shutting down and then having to manually restart and repair the ssd.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Tidux is their source. Come on guys. Read the article before you post shit.
It has been rumored as their Spring update due to the TV side of things, long before Tidux posted anything. Mainly due to the new TV lineup releasing soon that will have it ready out of the box, thus around the time they are rumored to patch the X90H and PS5.

Once again, they regurgitate already known shit when they think people forgot due to the 5 second news cycles we are constantly bombarded with.

Last edited:

cragarmi

unknown.png

PS5 will reportedly get a new firmware update later in March that will add a variable refresh rate support in addition to 4K and 120 FPS.
This rumor comes from insider Tidux, who reveals that big firmware is being released later in March that will add these new features for the console.
Sony hasn’t shared any details on an upcoming firmware update, but they had confirmed that a new firmware update will be released that will add support for the Variable Refresh Rate that was not available at launch for the PS5.
In the ultimate FAQ for the PlayStation 5, Sony addressed the support for Variable Refresh Rate confirming it was coming in a future update.

“PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.”
Sony is also updating its PlayStation 5 ready UHD TVs (X90H) with support for the Variable Refresh Rate. Just like the PS5, these TVs didn’t support it at launch and will be patched in at a later date.

The words Tidux, and Insider do not go together. This is an educated guess at the most. We know the update is coming, so if it drops around then he can claim 'insider knowledge' 😂

Like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma said, this has been a rumored for awhile now. I remember seeing it spread around the Twitterverse a few weeks ago. So don't get caught up on the source here.

I'm curious see how long before VRR becomes a mainstream feature, in the sense of a majority of gamers having VRR capable displays.

VRR definitely is nice, and can make a difference, but will it become something that devs specifically code for (like, instead of locking at 60 they tune up a graphical setting or two and let it hover between 50-60 since VRR will smooth it out on the display end)?

The 4k/120 update is just a matter of increasing HDMI bandwidth, right?

ethomaz

Banned
I should say lies due the “source” but it is already a expected thing soon or late.

And if it is a March release the new firmware is probably already out for PS5 Beta testers... maybe he just saw some Beta testers talking about and made the news (his usual thing).

Blond

Banned
Like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma said, this has been a rumored for awhile now. I remember seeing it spread around the Twitterverse a few weeks ago. So don't get caught up on the source here.

I'm curious see how long before VRR becomes a mainstream feature, in the sense of a majority of gamers having VRR capable displays.

VRR definitely is nice, and can make a difference, but will it become something that devs specifically code for (like, instead of locking at 60 they tune up a graphical setting or two and let it hover between 50-60 since VRR will smooth it out on the display end)?

The 4k/120 update is just a matter of increasing HDMI bandwidth, right?
VRR shouldn’t have to be anything they code for because all it’s doing is syncing the frame rate from the console.

Shmunter

Don’t have the tv for it, but.....most of the games are practically locked 60 anyway. May be good for a handful of ~120fps titles that waver.

Hope the feature doesn’t make devs lazy in optimisation

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
How about vrr support in 4k60 monitors? My lg27uk650 works great on pc in 40 to 60fps range. I can't feel any drops. I even play locked to 58fps to always stay in vrr.
It would help with 50fps drop in maiden

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
VRR shouldn’t have to be anything they code for because all it’s doing is syncing the frame rate from the console.
Both TV the hardware that output the signal needs to be coded to reach the standard defined by HDMI.org. You have microcode in these HDMI chipset too that can be updated and each company codes it like they want.

Remember that logic are coded... so they need to do that to generate the signal... the same on TV it is needs to be coded that logic to what to do with the signal received.

That is why there are issues and different results in VRR implementations.

Last edited:

BuffNTuff

Banned
Sounds like a hardware defect. Mines been in and out of rest mode since launch with no issues
Doubt it, the issue seems way too widespread and I have no issues gaming for hours on end.

it also seems to depend on what is being played. It’s probably some sort of memory leak or something that causes it to break. I’m sure it’ll get fixed.

Krisprolls

Banned
It's coming soon, it has been said multiple times. May be march or april. It's not that big of a deal anyway when 5 % of users have it on their TV and a lot of games are locked 60 fps now.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Doubt it, the issue seems way too widespread and I have no issues gaming for hours on end.

it also seems to depend on what is being played. It’s probably some sort of memory leak or something that causes it to break. I’m sure it’ll get fixed.
Weird. I'm constantly suspending Disney+ and a game at the same time.

Dont really care about VRR.

How about they unlock the NVMe storage with their next big update?

Preach.

I have been itching to buy a compatible drive and install an internal expansion drive in the worst way.

Something tells me it is just a matter of them making sure everything is good on the OS side, no crashes etc caused by the expansion drive. Making sure it can run everything as quickly as the on-board SSD, whatnot

You can do that, no? You just can’t play them from external HDD.
It is for backup only.

Unless I am a moron who has been missing it this whole time (very possible), as of right now you can't move PS5 native games to the external drive. Someone correct me if I am wrong. My external drive is basically just my PS4 game library.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

You can do that, no? You just can’t play them from external HDD.
It is for backup only.

You can't move PS5 games to external drives at all right now, only PS4 ones, there's also no USB save support

The source here may be BS but I hope it comes soon, 1440p and ultrawide support would be nice to have too even if most games may not support the latter.

Last edited:
I have no ideia you can't do that.

No worries. I am sure it will be added in an update soon.

Will be nice for people like me who hoard all my games even if I don't play them often. Godfall sat on the SSD for a couple months until the Primal Update last week, for example.

Though, downloads on PS5 are so fast that having to redownload games isn't THAT big of a deal, other than my stupid data cap (fuck Comcast)

Why do people still believe this clown?
other clown,

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Paulxo87

just fix the fucking disk spinning randomly every hour as well at system start up and rest mode green screen/crashes. These are two big issues

Last edited:
Using a bit of logic.

It's in the freaking spec sheet. Of course the PS5 is getting VRR support soon. If it was getting VRR support like 5 years later they wouldn't have it in the specifications. Probably the same thing with the NVME upgrade.

Elios83

Don't believe Tidux but it seems like Samsung has confirmed to Forbes that Sony is planning to fix a few issues on the video output side (specifically HDR in 120Hz mode) in March with a planned firmware update.

It also makes sense that the first big feature update is coming relatively soon. The console was launched in November and no features have been added so far.
More video output options ( 8K, HDR+120Hz and VRR) and enabling the internal SSD expansion bay are clearly the most important things to add/fix atm.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Don't believe Tidux but it seems like Samsung has confirmed to Forbes that Sony is planning to fix a few issues on the video output side (specifically HDR in 120Hz mode) in March with a planned firmware update.

It also makes sense that the first big feature update is coming relatively soon. The console was launched in November and no features have been added so far.
More video output options ( 8K, HDR+120Hz and VRR) and enabling the internal SSD expansion bay are clearly the most important things to add/fix atm.
Doing HW testing of FW updates when you are remote must be quite challenging, much more than developing them.

REDRZA MWS

How about they fix rest mode first.
I can’t even boot up out of rest mode anymore without it shutting down and then having to manually restart and repair the ssd.
Close your games/apps first. Pretty sure it’s been said that not closing stuff causes this. I always close my games/apps and always use rest mode. Never had a single issue.

Top Bottom