• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Firmware Update In March Will Add Variable Refresh Rate and 4K/120 FPS Support

If it’s true he’ll need all his TVs vrr for his brain to keep it steady from a potential melt down if true.
Is his brain hooked directly into his TV? How does that work? Is it like The Riddler, in Batman Forever?

batman forever sugar GIF

jim carrey success GIF

RaySoft

About time. Personally I don't like it when a company advertise a product functions that's not available from day one. They didnt even apply an asterix in the spec sheet.

Burn in isn't a concern? Seriously been temped by the CX. But never had an OLED.

I bought an extended warranty for it and LG is supposedly pretty good about hooking you up with a new panel if you get burn in (I've read people getting denied and approved, so who knows). The picture is fucking amazing. But I've been spending more time on my PC lately and the CX hasn't been getting much use. This is my first OLED too, going from a cheapie TCL 4K series 6 and before that just crap 1080p and 720p tvs. The difference is massive.
The 4k/8k demo videos out there are some of the craziest shit I've ever seen and watching LOTR 4K Ultra discs :

nicholas cage smiling GIF

Once we get more PS5/XSX-only games it'll be used way more.

have they enabled the external storage ssd yet?

Not yet. The internal NVMe expansion bay hasn't been enabled, and we are still waiting for a list of compatible NVMe drives (I assume both these things will happen at the same time in one drop/update).

I imagine it is just a matter of testing the compatible drives thoroughly and making sure they are fast enough to keep up with the what the PS5 is doing.

unknown.png

PS5 will reportedly get a new firmware update later in March that will add a variable refresh rate support in addition to 4K and 120 FPS.
This rumor comes from insider Tidux, who reveals that big firmware is being released later in March that will add these new features for the console.
Sony hasn’t shared any details on an upcoming firmware update, but they had confirmed that a new firmware update will be released that will add support for the Variable Refresh Rate that was not available at launch for the PS5.
In the ultimate FAQ for the PlayStation 5, Sony addressed the support for Variable Refresh Rate confirming it was coming in a future update.

“PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.”
Sony is also updating its PlayStation 5 ready UHD TVs (X90H) with support for the Variable Refresh Rate. Just like the PS5, these TVs didn’t support it at launch and will be patched in at a later date.

Don’t give a shit about that to be honest...how about they fix the stupid fucking storage system and active the m2 port

unknown.png

PS5 will reportedly get a new firmware update later in March that will add a variable refresh rate support in addition to 4K and 120 FPS.
This rumor comes from insider Tidux, who reveals that big firmware is being released later in March that will add these new features for the console.
Sony hasn’t shared any details on an upcoming firmware update, but they had confirmed that a new firmware update will be released that will add support for the Variable Refresh Rate that was not available at launch for the PS5.
In the ultimate FAQ for the PlayStation 5, Sony addressed the support for Variable Refresh Rate confirming it was coming in a future update.

“PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.”
Sony is also updating its PlayStation 5 ready UHD TVs (X90H) with support for the Variable Refresh Rate. Just like the PS5, these TVs didn’t support it at launch and will be patched in at a later date.

Source?

Tidux

GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-Ricky-Gervais-GIF.gif

You can do that, no? You just can’t play them from external HDD.
It is for backup only.
No you can't do that. The only place PS5 games can be is on the internal SSD right now. The Series X lets you back them up to an external but not play them. It's ridiculous that the PS5 doesn't let you do this yet.

KAL2006

Banned
Love this TV however I'm starting to regret going 65 inch. Only bought 65 inch as it was only £50 more than the 55 inch however I didn't think about the size of my room and how far I will be sitting I sit only around 2.5 metres away from the TV and I fel like my eye balls need to move around to focus on different parts of the screen so for games like Street Fighter it can be more difficult as I can't focus on my opponent and my character at the same time when we both are at a distance from eachother. If I only went 55 inch it would have been perfect. I've only had the TV for 2 months but have decided to sell it but unfortunately cant see anyone buying it for £900 as I would never go less than that. Guess I'll have to suck it up and deal with it. If only I had known I would have just got a 55 inch CX OLED for £1200.

Riky

$MSFT
If it’s true he’ll need all his TVs vrr for his brain to keep it steady from a potential melt down.

I'll be pleased that PS5 owners finally get smooth framerates and overcome screen tearing, it's bad they are still waiting for features that the last gen Xbox had years ago. Hopefully they get expandable storage as well as juggling that tiny internal SSD must be a nightmare.

Shmunter

I'll be pleased that PS5 owners finally get smooth framerates and overcome screen tearing, it's bad they are still waiting for features that the last gen Xbox had years ago. Hopefully they get expandable storage as well as juggling that tiny internal SSD must be a nightmare.
VRR not much benefit for PS5 gamers with majority of games practically locked 60. 120fs games may benefit, but there aren’t many.

Hope such a feature doesn’t make devs lazy, rolling out less optimised code hoping no one notices.

intbal

No you can't do that. The only place PS5 games can be is on the internal SSD right now. The Series X lets you back them up to an external but not play them. It's ridiculous that the PS5 doesn't let you do this yet.
You can play games from the external drive on Series X. BC games will play from any external drive. Series X|S exclusive games will play from the official Seagate external drive.

This is the one thing that irks me the most. How the fuck did Sony drop the ball on this one?
I'm also glad I can't get a PS5 right now. The dual sense is stick drifting issues and expandable storage are a big deal breaker for me right now. I hope these things get ironed out in future revisions of the console.

Banned
Yup. Once ps5 has vrr DF will
Stop calling it a game changer ( it really isn’t) and I’m sure they’ll
Look for the next marketing term. VRS.

it literally is a game changer for high FPS games. most games that support 120fps are actually fluctuating between the high 90s and 120, which is jarring and stuttery looking without VRR but looks absolutely smooth with VRR. also it gets rid of tearing

also typical zero IQ DF bashing as per usual on this forum of course

Last edited:
They should really fix friendlist/ Gane messages/party

its fucking hideous- Is so annoyibg “create party at every time you message someone

Shmunter

This is the one thing that irks me the most. How the fuck did Sony drop the ball on this one?
I'm also glad I can't get a PS5 right now. The dual sense is stick drifting issues and expandable storage are a big deal breaker for me right now. I hope these things get ironed out in future revisions of the console.
Don’t think a new console is needed. The slot is there, just need a certified Ssd to plug into it.

I think priority needs to be placed on cold storage allowing offloading of PS5 games onto USB and back ala Xbox.

Top Bottom