• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 - GoW took 1 hour to install?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeaker

Took 1 hour to install from disc.
This is the future?

j9esm96.png

giphy.gif

brb playing old games
brb no installing
brb no patches

nikeboy94

Who cares. We all know read speeds from optical discs aren't great, but it beats having to download 80GB on the internet if your internet sucks ass. No one's saying physical games are the future, it's just a way of letting us own our purchases.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When you install from disc it includes downloading any patches and combining those with the data from the disc. The disc install won't complete until all updates are downloaded and applied.

ONLY installing from disc is pretty snappy (usually just a few minutes before you can start the game), but it's rare that there are no day 1 updates nowadays.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Bad take. Install went super fast on my side. OP has 1990s internet connection.
I have pretty fast internet and it is never super fast, unless we gave wildly different meaning to the term "super fast"

Unless you have one of those incredibly rare 100gb per second internet connection, it is hardly super fast.

I can download 100 gb in less than 10 min on steam, not the absolute best but probably better than 90% of worldwide internet connections.

Consoles being slow af to copy games from disc is not a secret or a rare thing to read inside forums, let's not act like it is a surprise for someone or downright false please.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I have pretty fast internet and it is never super fast, unless we gave wildly different meaning to the term "super fast"

Unless you have one of those incredibly rare 100gb per second internet connection, it is hardly super fast.

I can download 100 gb in less than 10 min on steam, not the absolute best but probably better than 90% of worldwide internet connections.

Consoles being slow af to copy games from disc is not a secret or a rare thing to read inside forums, let's not act like it is a surprise for someone or downright false please.
It taking an hour is not the fault of slow disc speeds.

GymWolf

It taking an hour is not the fault of slow disc speeds.
An hour is probably his fault, but i would never consider 15-20 min "super fast" or plug&play.

So yeah, the advantage of consoles where you just put the disc and play immediately is a thing of the past, even if you don't care about day one patch.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
An hour is probably his fault, but i would never consider 15-20 min "super fast" or plug&play.

So yeah, the advantage of consoles where you just put the disc and play immediately is a thing of the past, even if you don't care about day one patch.
Well it's still plug and play in the end. With preload you are basically faster than in the times of cartridges.

Compared to PC and messing with settings and ini files, gfx drivers, correct DLSS settings etc. Especially if you want to do things like four player couch co op. What a nightmare that was to set up on PC, holy shit. One hour for console install is not the norm, something is wrong here.

GymWolf

Well it's still plug and play in the end. With preload you are basically faster than in the times of cartridges.

Compared to PC and messing with settings and ini files, gfx drivers, correct DLSS settings etc. Especially if you want to do things like four player couch co op. What a nightmare that was to set up on PC, holy shit. One hour for console install is not the norm, something is wrong here.
Most people on pc never touch ini or some other time wasting stuff, let's not act like you need a master degree to play on pc, i'm an absolute noob that ask the stupidest questions here on gaf and i have zero problems with 90% of games, even less when i'm gonna have the new build that can just bruteforce everything at 4k60 without a sweat..

With a decent pc and some experience you already know what to change in the setting to get to the game in a couple of minutes.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Took 1 hour to install from disc.
This is the future?

j9esm96.png

giphy.gif

brb playing old games
brb no installing
brb no patches
82 fucking Gigas!!!!!???

Literally installed this game, Horizon, Demon souls, The last of us 1, Final Fantasy VII Remake ... With that, the PS5 Factory SSD destroyed ???

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Who is gonna tell op and the rest of people here if you are installing from the disc, then disable the internet till it’s done then download the update from the net ?

If you are doing them both you will be playing the next day . Sony is just awesome like that since ps4

ChrisB

Who is gonna tell op and the rest of people here if you are installing from the disc, then disable the internet till it’s done then download the update from the net ?

If you are doing them both you will be playing the next day . Sony is just awesome like that since ps4

This is the practice that I do with disc installs I thought it was common knowledge, but obviously not.
Both consoles have this flaw not sure what the process is behind it but my XB does the same.

15 minutes for me and I was able to play whilst the rest installed. Make a cup of tea/coffee or do something useful while you wait.

REDRZA MWS

If you have great internet connection (1Gbit optic fibre) there is literally no reason to buy discs anymore. Because you can download game faster then it will install from disc
And since you are t playing off the disc anymore, it’s an installation disk. Ppl think they “own” it because they can hold onto something physical. If Sony/MS ever shut servers down or leave the business your discs are waste.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This is why i laugh my ass off when people talk about plug&play being an advantage of consoles over pc.
i think when they meant plug and play, they meant the convenience.
Yea it takes time (its the same for PC as well) but you just pop in the disc/ or download from digital and the system does everything for you.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
6 minutes left until you can play though.
Yes but my ps5 disc drive was moaning so loud that i couldn’t hear anything else so waited the whole hour to let it finish.

The funny thing is that i just got 1 gig internet and a fancy modem router and i couldve downloaded this 100 gb game in 10 minutes tops.

This is because of the poor read speeds of the bluray drive. It will happen for every game.

Topher

Gold Member
Is this your first time using the drive in your PS5? God of War R isn't going to install any faster/slower than any other game on disc except due to size of the game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I didn't time it but yeah, it took a long ass time. I had to install the game, download and install the patch, download and install system update and download and install controller update.

2+ hours in the game. The wait was worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom