• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Haptic Controllers Have “Very High” Potential, Zen 2 CPU Will Make Porting Smoother – Moons of Madness Dev...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking with GamingBolt in an interview, Moen answered plenty of our questions about next-gen consoles and his take on their features- one such feature being the PS5’s haptic-enabled controller, which Moen thinks has “very high” potential and can possibly “add a lot to an experience.”

“I think haptics add a lot to an experience,” said Moen. “But, I also think it’s subjective to different players, and it also depends on how the game utilizes it. But overall I think the potential for adding to an experience is very high.”

We also asked Moen about the PS5 and Xbox Series X’s respective CPUs (both are confirmed to feature a AMD Zen 2 chip), and how big of a leap over current gen hardware he feels that would be.

“This is probably a question for the Unreal engine developers, but for us it means that we can do more before the game gets CPU bound,” Moen said. “Porting to console would of course also be much smoother, as the current gen hardware is pretty slow, and getting closer to the PC hardware helps a lot. But this is of course time-limited as the gap between PC and console will grow fast.”

Kumomeme

Ofcourse, everything is scalable.
Just move a couple of sliders around et voila, next-gen exclusive.
well for programmers its not simply 'everything has a slider just raised it up or down' ...less headche for devs is good things..faster mean devs can afford more time to other important aspect and from game design aspect, they can do more things..jaguar had been minimum baseline of this gen though..thats why we had less advancement at cpu side aside graphical leap

sn0man

I’m hopeful that with the number of quad and six core processors being sold over the past 5 years on PC that there is a gravity and inertia before his last statement becomes true. Obviously tech marches on but I feel like the ivy bridge / sandy bridge processors if 8 to 10 years ago are still somewhat of the benchmark for a lot of AAA PC games.

Md Ray

I think they could do a lot until they're CPU-bound. There's a ton of potential in Zen 2. Just a single-core of next-gen console's Zen 2 will be at least 4x more powerful than Jaguar's single-core in current-gen base consoles. And then there's the addition of SMT (16 threads) on top compared to just 8 threads in current-gen. This is massive.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
they already confirmed bigger battery for next dualshock in wired article to address battery concerns of DS4
A bigger battery doesn't matter when you put multiple features on a remote. Hopefully I'm wrong.

A bigger battery doesn't matter when you put multiple features on a remote. Hopefully I'm wrong.
i mean they mentioned it as a point that they are aware that people want better battery life and as such they said we have increased the battery size. so they admitted to knowing that as a fault so i m sure they will improve it

Pallas

i mean they mentioned it as a point that they are aware that people want better battery life and as such they said we have increased the battery size. so they admitted to knowing that as a fault so i m sure they will improve it

Sure it’ll probably be a better battery, but will it even matter with these features? It’s probably why they had to use a bigger/better battery to even get this stuff running.

Sure it’ll probably be a better battery, but will it even matter with these features? It’s probably why they had to use a bigger/better battery to even get this stuff running.
Instead of waiting for the official word on the controller you'll just go ahead and assume all of the above.
Smart

Pallas

Instead of waiting for the official word on the controller you'll just go ahead and assume all of the above.
Smart

Guess you miss the part where I said probably, which if I recall doesn’t make it 100% fact, and therefore my stated opinion, based on the available info we do have.

Speaking of waiting for official word, I’ll probably die of Coronavirus before Sony says anything.

Other than seeing the graphical improvements in games, the new controller is the thing that excites me the most. Haptic feedback on the Switch is interesting, but hardly anyone uses it other than to create your standard rumble effect. Actually having the controller change based on what you are driving/walking though or on is going to make games even more immersive. Same goes for the adjustable tension on the triggers.

Top Bottom