• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 hits 2m UK sales, making it the fourth fastest-selling games console of all time

jm89

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/ps5-h...rth-fastest-selling-games-console-of-all-time

The PlayStation 5 has broken past two million sales in the UK.

It is the fourth fastest home console to reach the figure, matching the PS3 but behind the PS4 (No.3), the PS2 (No.2) and Nintendo Wii (No.1). All data is courtesy of GfK.

The console's performance has been held back due to stock shortages. Nevertheless, it is the most lucrative console to reach two million sales, having generated £919 million. By comparison, Wii had generated £358 million at two million sales, PS4 £700 million and Xbox One (the previous highest) £726 million.

"Given the stock problems surrounding PS5 it is fair to say it would have easily outpaced PS3 to 2m units," says GfK boss Dorian Bloch. "One thing that is clear, the significantly higher price of PS5 has not hindered sales, with consumers willing to pay the £105 premium that is shown on the average price of both consoles over this 2m unit period. PS5 has delivered the highest revenue for any console at two million units.

"Xbox One took 104 weeks to reach two million, exactly two years, and Xbox 360 took 110 weeks, which was 2.12 years. Although the Xbox 360 was slower to this mark than Xbox One, Xbox 360 overtook Xbox One after three years and remains Microsoft biggest install, with around nine million in the UK.

"The Switch took a relatively long time to reach two million units sold at 2.69 years. However, with the introduction of Switch Lite after 2.5 yearsand the subsequent massive boost the console received after the COVID-19 Lockdown, plus the fact that system-seller Zelda launches next year, means the Switch is set to add decent numbers to the install base."

e4sTuL1.png

Last edited:

reksveks

I can't see the slim model coming in to drop the ASP personally, 455 is very good.

I also it is cause of the bundles (good for Sony before anyone thinks I am having a dig, I was just wondering if there was a way to determine the physical/digitally split) but not 100% sure.

Just for note/interest, it was ahead of the ps4 by 3 weeks to 1m so that supply constraints has really been a pain.

Last edited:

reksveks

Rykan

I'm a bit surprised that the Nintendo Switch is that low. Were there supply issues during launch of Switch? Or is it just less popular in general? Even the PS3 with its meme worthy launch price managed to sell faster.

modiz

But I thought CoD is crucial to Sony's success? That makes CAD look even more weird in their reasoning. I guess PS would be fine without CoD.

jm89

I really thought sony raising the price of the ps5 would kill demand

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
The price difference of ps5 and xbox series s is actually quite staggering.

Retailers where selling xbox series s fifa bundles for £250, ps5 fifa bundles where going for £539.99, over double the price.

Seems like gbiz are late on their monthly reporting, but ps5 will probably end up being no. 1 in the uk for september as there was a massive restock which is the only thing that stops the ps5 getting no. 1. How much low are ms willing to take the xss i wonder.

Last edited:
The price difference of ps5 and xbox series s is actually quite staggering.

Retailers where selling xbox series s fifa bundles for £250, ps5 fifa bundles where going for £539.99, over double the price.

Seems like gbiz are late on their monthly reporting, but ps5 will probably end up being no. 1 in the uk for september as there was a massive restock which is the only thing that stops the ps5 getting no. 1. How much low are ms willing to take the xss i wonder.

Series S bundled with every Elite controller

reksveks

Seems like gbiz are late on their monthly reporting, but ps5 will probably end up being no. 1 in the uk for september as there was a massive restock which is the only thing that stops the ps5 getting no. 1. How much low are ms willing to take the xsx i wonder.
Definitely should be number one (separately amazon UK confuses me so I think Sony is just sending them less or the invitation system is suppressing demand).

I think the only question for me is what is the yoy change.

Re the xsx price, I think both MS and Sony will have a mid gen revision or pro model and that's when you will see the series x version maybe drop in price.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Didn't even make the podium. Pop a cork.
That spot is for the Series X

sGAolFy.jpg

Non-bundled Disc version in stock directly.

This is great to see, you can actually add to your cart right now. Hopefully we are finally coming out of this supply constraint and people who want one can get one.

Doesn't help that we are basically in a recession right now, but still, gaming is a total luxury item in the grand scheme of things.

So strange that I paid less on launch day for my PS5 than what people are now.

Last edited:

Three

Regrouping from what the X1 did to the XBOX brand, here in the UK.
Ah I think I get it now. Xbox Series S/X just hasn't hit 2M yet once it does it will pop up probably just below PS5.

It's not reached 2 millions yet so not in the chart? Series consoles still have 6 weeks to beat XOne though
Yeah just figured it out too. Makes sense.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Dibils2k

Yeah no Series S or Series X with Xbox One and OG Xbox ahead? I thought this was the fastest selling xbox? Is something fishy going on with reported numbers?
I would say maybe they are recording them as separate items but then why wouldnt the PS5 be split by Standard and Digital version

I think it just might not be selling well in UK

Three

Man what was the UK smoking to go out and buy a PS3 that soon??? Y’all got the gimped version and had the info from the Japanese and US launches to know damn well that system was busted from top to bottom.
The ones who got it sooner got the superior version with PS2 chips, 4 USB ports and card readers.

reksveks

Yeah no Series S or Series X with Xbox One and OG Xbox ahead? I thought this was the fastest selling xbox? Is something fishy going on with reported numbers?
Also markets splits might be a bit different than last time. I will see if there was/is 1m numbers for comparison.

Dec 2021 -series one mill https://www.gamesindustry.biz/xbox-...uk-sales-in-strong-december-uk-monthly-charts
November 2014 - x1 one mill
https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/publishing/xbox-one-sells-1m-in-the-uk/

Think ibf already calculated that it was behind in the UK in Jan but don't have recent comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom