• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 hits 2m UK sales, making it the fourth fastest-selling games console of all time

yazenov

That revenue though!

PS5 revenue is 2.5 x the Wii so if they were the same price the PS5 would easily outsell the Wii in units. Don't ask me how I deduced this but its simple math :p

Last edited:

reksveks

Last edited:

Three

I would say maybe they are recording them as separate items but then why wouldnt the PS5 be split by Standard and Digital version

I think it just might not be selling well in UK
Might have read the other replies already but it's just not hit 2M yet to show in the chart.

Price increase = more and more sales and demand still not met :messenger_grinning_sweat: :goog_eek:
Pretty much unprecendeted in console history.

Higher price with higher value.

What The Hell Just Happened Reaction GIF

Must be the games then.

🤷‍♂️

microsoft are feeling it too. been seeing alot of ads for the series s bundle with fifa. not even a mention of series x on the ad. they are going for the budget friendly casual gamers. well they are trying to anyway but it really feels like nobody cares abut the series s, even if it is cheap.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
microsoft are feeling it too. been seeing alot of ads for the series s bundle with fifa. not even a mention of series x on the ad. they are going for the budget friendly casual gamers. well they are trying to anyway but it really feels like nobody cares abut the series s, even if it is cheap.
I have seen so many promotions for the Series S in different regions....its gotta be frustrating for MS that despite doing that the PS5 is still trucking along..

MacReady13

Good for Sony, what do we get out of this?
They are an established brand in video games and they don't need to push bullshit down people's throats to sell consoles. They have arguably been as anti consumer this gen as they've ever been and yet they STILL sell more than their direct competition (Microsoft).

Like I said before, game pass means shit when you have a brand like Playstation.

They are an established brand in video games and they don't need to push bullshit down people's throats to sell consoles. They have arguably been as anti consumer this gen as they've ever been and yet they STILL sell more than their direct competition (Microsoft).

Like I said before, game pass means shit when you have a brand like Playstation.

Isn't sony copying game pass with the additions to playstaion plus?

MrA

Banned
I'm a bit surprised that the Nintendo Switch is that low. Were there supply issues during launch of Switch? Or is it just less popular in general? Even the PS3 with its meme worthy launch price managed to sell faster.
Uk was/is the switches weakest market

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yeah no Series S or Series X with Xbox One and OG Xbox ahead? I thought this was the fastest selling xbox? Is something fishy going on with reported numbers?
The numbers are for consoles that exceeded 2M.
Series has 6 weeks left to hit that milestone in order to keep the title of 'fastest selling XBox' (maybe 12 weeks given that MS is pretending XOne does not exist in other comparisons) - but it would still not be on this chart today if that happens.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
For all the bitching about cross gen, it's called fucking support. Playstations get support well after the new shit comes out. Tends to make current owners happy with their purchase and want the next one when they decide it's time.
And you don't have to miss out on certain games now like you did in the past, and get visual (60fps, higher resolution, textures, geometry, etc) and loading times QoL improvements.

God of War 2, etc., if you jumped into PS3 later than the BC versions, but did not have a PS2 anymore for other reasons.

Gran Turismo 6, etc, on the PS3 but not PS4.

Me personally I bought a ps5 for final fantasy. I play ff14 and am looking forward to ff7 rebirth and ff16 the most. For me the ps5 is my final fantasy box

Yeah, everyone has their own reason for wanting ps5, it usually has to do with the software, its either for big JRPGs, spider-man, god of war, the extra Fromsoft games, ND stuff, etc. maybe soon it will be having access to big VR games

For me its all the above. No one else is really investing in single player experiences the same way SIE do, whether its first or. 3rd party.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Good that it grabbed 4th. Would have looked bad to be behind ps3. Which had a rough launch in the UK but it did pull it back around about a year after once the 40gb launched.

Crayon

And you don't have to miss out on certain games now like you did in the past, and get visual (60fps, higher resolution, textures, geometry, etc) and loading times QoL improvements.

God of War 2, etc., if you jumped into PS3 later than the BC versions, but did not have a PS2 anymore for other reasons.

Gran Turismo 6, etc, on the PS3 but not PS4.

That's true. Cross gen in the past wasn't so "cross". They'd keep resources to make games just for the old system.

vivftp

1m milestone
PS4 - 42 weeks
PS5 - 39 weeks

2m milestone
PS4 - 75 weeks
PS5 - 98weeks

3m milestone
PS4 *- ~108-112 weeks
PS5 - ???

[/URL]
[/URL]

Given the stock increases and the way it appears that it's just gonna keep ramping up for the next 1.5 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS5 hit 3 million faster than the PS4. They're gonna flood the market with 'em.

My only question is whether they'll devote several million units worth of components to their cloud infrastructure so PS5 games can be streamed at some point in the next year or so. My speculation is that once PS3 emulation finally becomes a thing that they'll transition their cloud infrastructure to PS5 only hardware. That way everything will be streamable from one platform instead of requiring legacy PS3 hardware in the cloud. Maybe that'll also coincide with their plans to move to Azure, who knows.

Given the stock increases and the way it appears that it's just gonna keep ramping up for the next 1.5 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS5 hit 3 million faster than the PS4. They're gonna flood the market with 'em.

My only question is whether they'll devote several million units worth of components to their cloud infrastructure so PS5 games can be streamed at some point in the next year or so. My speculation is that once PS3 emulation finally becomes a thing that they'll transition their cloud infrastructure to PS5 only hardware. That way everything will be streamable from one platform instead of requiring legacy PS3 hardware in the cloud. Maybe that'll also coincide with their plans to move to Azure, who knows.

I think they’ll do it once they can fully meet demand, maybe sometime mid-next year when they do the external refresh

Pelta88

Price increase = more and more sales and demand still not met :messenger_grinning_sweat: :goog_eek:
Pretty much unprecendeted in console history.

I remember some gaming forum threads talking about how Sony is fucked and everybody would shift to some other platform.

vivftp

1m in 10-14 weeks seems like a massive task. Catching up around the 3.5m/4m range is more likely.

Well, they did have just over 15 million left to go for the remaining 3 quarters of this FY. We dunno how well they've done in the second quarter yet, we'll find out in a couple weeks. Since the next 10-14 weeks covers the entire holiday period and the UK seems to be a region that gets focused on for stock, I wonder if they can do it.

Agreed, even if they don't manage to do it for 3 million, they're gonna blow WAY past the PS4 next FY and will probably keep on widening the gap afterwards. I wonder how far they can go compared to the PS4 in total lifetime numbers. I have no doubt they'll surpass the PS4, but I wonder by how much.

Elios83

I remember some gaming forum threads talking about how Sony is fucked and everybody would shift to some other platform.

:messenger_grinning_sweat: message boards are always bubbles to some degree, they do not represent how things are perceived globally.
If you add to that the fact that we're at the peak of the console war season and many comments are not genuine but done on purpose to try to create and control narratives (in the delusion that it has an impact in the real world), the reasons of such detachment from reality are clear.

Pelta88

:messenger_grinning_sweat: message boards are always bubbles to some degree, they do not represent how things are perceived globally.
If you add to that the fact that we're at the peak of the console war season and many comments are not genuine but done on purpose to try to create and control narratives (in the delusion that it has an impact in the real world), the reasons of such detachment from reality are clear.

Fam listen...

If neogaf ever turns into a record label I want royalties from that bar. Post of the fucking month!!!

They releasing psvr2 next year. I don't think they can sort the stock anytime soon
I don't think an expensive add-on is going to change their plans. If they are really thinking about shipping 30M consoles i can't imagine PS5 having issues in a year from now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He can also GTFO, he should work more and talk less if I am being honest.
In the Activision CMA filing, they revealed that Sony has sold 150 million PS4 and PS5 units while they have only sold 63 million. X1 sold around 50 million so that means XS has sold around 13 million. PS4 was around 117 million last i heard, but even if we assume its around 125 million, the PS5 is at around 25 million which means after all that, Phil has managed to be outsold by 2:1 AGAIN. He's spent almost $87 billion on Activision, Zenimax and Minecraft. Probably another half a billion on Obsidian, PG, NT, and Undead Labs. He released a $300 console for the masses who dont seem to care. He released the so-called most powerful console and still cant beat out the PS5 in a very strong Xbox market like UK? He's literally giving away first party games for free with their gamepass subs, and he's still being outsold 2:1??

Like how does this man still have a job? If I was his boss, id be like I gave you a blank check only for you to lose 2:1 again?? I am guessing they will give him 1 more year to see what kind of audience Starfield brings, but by then the PS5 will have its shortage over and its own RPGs to compete with Starfield.

At the end of the day, its not the tweets or lip service that get you sales. It's the damn games. Maybe MS can replace him with a guy who understands this.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
In the Activision CMA filing, they revealed that Sony has sold 150 million PS4 and PS5 units while they have only sold 63 million. X1 sold around 50 million so that means XS has sold around 13 million. PS4 was around 117 million last i heard, but even if we assume its around 125 million, the PS5 is at around 25 million which means after all that, Phil has managed to be outsold by 2:1 AGAIN. He's spent almost $87 billion on Activision, Zenimax and Minecraft. Probably another half a billion on Obsidian, PG, NT, and Undead Labs. He released a $300 console for the masses who dont seem to care. He released the so-called most powerful console and still cant beat out the PS5 in a very strong Xbox market like UK? He's literally giving away first party games for free with their gamepass subs, and he's still being outsold 2:1??

Like how does this man still have a job? If I was his boss, id be like I gave you a blank check only for you to lose 2:1 again?? I am guessing they will give him 1 more year to see what kind of audience Starfield brings, but by then the PS5 will have its shortage over and its own RPGs to compete with Starfield.

At the end of the day, its not the tweets or lip service that get you sales. It's the damn games. Maybe MS can replace him with a guy who understands this.
Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

Top Bottom