• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 outsells Switch for the first time since September 2021 across Europe

jm89

In a rare twist, PS5 was the best-selling console of the month, just ahead of Nintendo Switch. Switch suffered a steep drop over October 2021, due to the fact that the Switch OLED model launched during this period last year.

It's the first time since September 2021 that Nintendo Switch was not the No.1 console across Europe.

The Xbox Series family of consoles is the only platform to post a year-on-year increase in October, with sales up over 26%.
11.9 million video games were sold across Europe last month, led by a resurgent Call of Duty.

The latest GSD data shows that game sales are up 1.5% over last October. 6.84m games were sold via digital download stores, while the physical retail market declined by 13%.

This is in part due to a significant increase in download sales for new titles such as FIFA and Call of Duty.

The Activision Blizzard shooter beat FIFA 23 to the No.1 spot, after just one week on sale. The game's first week sales were 125% bigger than what Call of Duty: Vanguard managed last year.

In fact, Modern Warfare 2 -- after just two weeks -- is already on the brink of out-selling Call of Duty: Vanguard's lifetime performance across European markets. Modern Warfare 2 is already the third best-selling game of the year, just behind Elden Ring.

It may have had to settle for second place, but FIFA 23 also had a strong month, with sales up 4% over what FIFA 22 managed during the same period last year.

In fourth place is another new release in the form of Gotham Knights. The superhero game launched at a similar time as Guardians of the Galaxy did last year. However, Gotham Knight's sales are 13% lower after two weeks compared to the Marvel game.

Also new to the charts is Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope at No.5. Across tracked markets, the Nintendo Switch exclusive sold 7.5% more copies in its first two weeks compared with its predecessor, which launched in August 2017 (UK data excluded as 2017 figures are unavailable).

At No.9 for the month is Victoria 3 from Paradox. It's a sequel to a game from 2010 and has got off to a strong start across Europe.

Elsewhere, A Plague Tale: Requiem is at No.12. The Focus Home Entertainment game is 12% down compared with the first two weeks of 2019's A Plague Tale: Innoncence. However, Requiem was included as part of Xbox Game Pass and that data is not available here.

Other new releases during October included Bayonetta 3 (No.14), NHL 23 (at No.17) plus new versions of Persona 5 Royal (No.18).

367,821 games consoles were sold across European markets last month, a drop of 33% over the same period the year before. This data does not include Germany or UK figures, for UK data click here.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
367,821 games consoles were sold across European markets last month, a drop of 33% over the same period the year before. This data does not include Germany or UK figures, for UK data click here.
Last year seems to had more drops compared to this year.

I dont know if we are still out of console shortage or not.

Nevertheless, gz PS5. It is not easy to outsell switch, despite the shortage.

reksveks

Re: the Sony target, this November needs to be big for that 18m target.

October will be flat at best. Switch keeps having a decline in EU.

Will add my YoY table for both EU/UK.

reksveks

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/call-...rd-after-just-2-weeks-european-monthly-charts

EU - October 2022 - Digital & Retail - GSD

European GSD October 2022 Top 20 (Digital + Physical)

Title
  1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
  2. FIFA 23 (EA)
  3. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
  4. Gotham Knights (Warner Bros)
  5. Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (Ubisoft)
  6. Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
  7. Splatoon 3 (Nintendo)*
  8. NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
  9. Victoria 3 (Paradox)
  10. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
  11. Fallout 4 (Bethesda)
  12. A Plague Tale: Requiem (Focus Home Entertainment)
  13. F1 22 (EA/Codemasters)
  14. Bayonetta 3* (Nintendo)
  15. Metro Exodus (Deep Silver)
  16. Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
  17. NHL 23 (EA)
  18. Persona 5 Royal (Sega)
  19. Horizon: Forbidden West (Sony)
  20. Gran Turismo 7 (Sony)

367,821 games consoles were sold across European markets last month, a drop of 33% over the same period the year before. This data does not include Germany or UK figures, for UK data click here.[/URL]
In a rare twist, PS5 was the best-selling console of the month, just ahead of Nintendo Switch. Switch suffered a steep drop over October 2021, due to the fact that the Switch OLED model launched during this period last year.
It's the first time since September 2021 that Nintendo Switch was not the No.1 console across Europe.
The Xbox Series family of consoles is the only platform to post a year-on-year increase in October, with sales up over 26%.
As for accessories, more than 1.18 million add-on products were sold across tracked European markets during the month, a drop of more than 13% over October last year.
And finally, almost 1.1 million points cards were sold, which is a drop of nearly 7% over October 2021.

Point cards and Add-ons dropping still showing a sign of dropped engagement

reksveks

1OaWM3Y.png

October YoY changes

3.3M saved up in stock + 6.5M production last quarter = a lot of PS5s this holiday. Still can't find one below 800€ in Sweden tho.

Robb

Gold Member
Wow, that’s a long time Switch has been outperforming Ps5 in Europe. Hadn’t realized that.

Seems this won’t last long for Sony though considering Pokemon is coming out this holiday.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

I'm yet to see one in a store and I'm unable to get one for christmas. All stores I went to order one only sell 750+euro bundles. Ridiculous. It's official, consoles have become for rich people only...

jm89

I'm yet to see one in a store and I'm unable to get one for christmas. All stores I went to order one only sell 750+euro bundles. Ridiculous. It's official, consoles have become for rich people only...
Same in the UK some retailers are being a big bag of dicks with the bundles.

Hopefully sony can send as much stock to retailers who don't sell stupidly expensive bundles so those who do are stuck with bundles that aren't selling. But realistically the demand is so high they are gonna get away with it.

reksveks

3.3M saved up in stock + 6.5M production last quarter = a lot of PS5s this holiday. Still can't find one below 800€ in Sweden tho.
NPD will be interesting, but you can only badly presume whether Sony is sending more/less to the US or other markets.

Friendly psa for UK users: cod, gow and fifa disc bundles available at the UK ps direct (can actually order two bundles per household)

TLZ

Banned
Wow, that’s a long time Switch has been outperforming Ps5 in Europe. Hadn’t realized that.

Seems this won’t last long for Sony though considering Pokemon is coming out this holiday.
We will see if it makes any difference at this stage. How many new buyers vs existing owners.

spons

Gold Member
The availability of the PS5 in the Benelux is ass. The Switch meanwhile sits at more than 1.5 million units sold. Xbox Series S/X have much more units available, but nobody buys them.

This has nothing to do with the software released since Sony is selling everything they are producing though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
See no reason for Sony to mislead considering they usually are conservative. They know how many units they can get out there and with MW2, Fifa 23 and Ragnarok it’s a great time for them.

Amazing achievement if they pull it off, with the price of a PS5 in a recession.

Props to them if they do.

Robb

Gold Member
This has nothing to do with the software released since Sony is selling everything they are producing though.
I guess I disagree considering Switch is in the conversation. If Sony can produce 8M units they’ll probably sell all of them while Switch with Pokemon might push 9M units and Switch without Pokemon might only push 7M.

Just speculation, but I definitely think it’ll make a big difference if Switch has a huge title released or not between who takes the holidays. Unless Sony can somehow push out 10M+ Ps5’s this Christmas.

ANIMAL1975

Some time ago, maybe last month can't remember, worten finally called me to get the digital PS5, but bundled with everything in the country, so 850 euros, and just for the confirmation i was still in the waiting list... Lol

Somebody posted this on Reddit. In Denmark allegedly.

axf0obwytbz91.jpg
So thats where they are being stalked!

MrA

Banned

The Holiday quarter is going to be competitive , god of war is a pretty strong pokemon counter plus ps5 still has the backed-up demand since it's so far behind where the ps4 was at this point.
You can see the ps5 being the most sold console of all time in the end.
ps5 is a few million units behind ps4, and further behind where the switch was at this respective point and isn't going to get the covid boost the switch did, ms is way more competent this gen, nothing about the console makes it more future-proof than any other console, I doubt it will last longer than usual, ps5 being the best selling console of all time is incredibly unlikely

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Lodge 49 Lol GIF by AMC Networks

I’m past fan boy shit.
I okay m’y Bros PS5 it’s a great system played my mates Xbox. Great system, I own a switch it’s a great system

😀

fart town usa

Gold Member
Good. Happy for everyone who manages to track one down, the PS5 is truly a thing of beauty, every console gamer should invest in one.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean yeah PS actually has new games out. Switch has.. Harvestella ... which is actually very good but you know....

Woopah

It is in a way, because of hardware being tied to key software. Sony will have been saving stock for the Ragnarock bundle like Nintendo saved stock for the Splatoon 3 and Pokomon OLED bundles
I mean yeah PS actually has new games out. Switch has.. Harvestella ... which is actually very good but you know....
These are October's charts. Harvestella wasn't out yet so the relevant releases for Switch were Sparks of Hope and Bayonetta 3.

Last edited:

Forsete

Sweden seems to be getting a steady supply of PS5s now. :messenger_ok:

Edit: Still selling out though. Unless you count the cunts selling for over the recommended retail price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom