• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Outsells the Wii U in Less Than One Year - Sales

Tschumi

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF
yo no comprendo where is the salt in my post lol

Marty-McFly

Banned
PSP 2k/3k did it too - .
In fact only 1k didn't support TV-out - so I guess 1k was the Switch Lite of the PSP family :p

A bit disingenuous to compare half baked peripherals to the Switch when Switch was intended to be a console and a portable at the same time from the onset. The Dock even gives it a power boost so it can output better optics on the TV, and is much more user friendly and quick to use. Not to mention, console standard controls and Nintendo console quality games. This is one of the reasons Switch succeeded as a hybrid while these TV out portables were virtually unknown by the public or cared about.

oh and this is what we had to use when I was in the Marine Corps. Probably the best solution to TV out for a portable but it wasn't exactly well known on the market.

0-17.jpg

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
only the Virtual Boy and the Wii U were actually bad failures. the GameCube is still considered ok by Nintendo as far as I know
I'm counting the gamecube because in terms of software it was not good for Nintendo, the best selling gc game was smash bros melee with 7m copies and even the xbox outsold the gc. So maybe not a complete failure but definitely disappointing.

LOL, you know that's not very hard for Switch to beat PS4 number right

Its not a flex when they are coming from a flop console, they are still an entire generation behind in hardware

Its cool that they rebounded the way that they have but there really is no comparison here. They are largely inconsistent with their console sales, one successful console doesn’t make up for that

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I think I only thought about the Wii U on literally one occasion during its lifespan and that was only because there was a website selling them for less than $50 by accident iirc. Besides that, only saw it at a friend’s house a handful of times. Nintendo must’ve had abysmal marketing during that stretch

Drew1440

I'm guessing Gamecube is next, then OG Xbox and N64 after. Let's see if the PS5 can beat all three by next year.
PSP Go did it first with official TV out and Dualshock 3 compatibility. Is the PSP Go a handheld or a home console though?

2uttqsdhg4351.jpg
I miss my PSP Go, had the official Dock that supported component out. Best way to play Ps1 classics before Retroarch/BeetlePSX

Same ol G

Switch also outsold the Wii u in a year.
This is not really impressive it just shows how much Nintendo fucked up with the Wii u.
Also those Switch vs PSP comparisons are embarrassing, ya'll know PSP wasn't even full screen when you connect it to your tv.
To compare such a half baked afterthought to the Switch is just riling people up, you can't be serious.

Deerock71

I think I only thought about the Wii U on literally one occasion during its lifespan and that was only because there was a website selling them for less than $50 by accident iirc. Besides that, only saw it at a friend’s house a handful of times. Nintendo must’ve had abysmal marketing during that stretch
Calling it the Wii U, for starters. I knew it was a mistake as soon as I heard it.

Alan Wake

Not sure about the relevance in that comparison. Outselling the Wii U is surely not something they talk about when investing in R&D for a new console...

Kabelly

The switch is 5 years old already and nintendo had to pretty much combine two markets to get there

For their sake i hope they break the trend of following up a successful console with another dud
So did Sony. Let's not ignore their portable divisons either. I think console developers realized trying to manage two separate gaming divisions was way too much work once games started getting bigger. Sony went in one direction and Nintendo both.

Instead of having consumers having to choose between either a portable system or a home console they keep everyone in one umbrella. It's what alienated some games. Not everyone can afford every console.

Games being exclusive to Nintendo handhelds is what prevented me (a only Nintendo home console owner prior to Switch) from trying a lot of their catalogue.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
A bit disingenuous to compare half baked peripherals to the Switch when Switch was intended to be a console and a portable at the same time from the onset.
Yes and he sky is blue - Switch is one of the best selling consoles ever (and who knows how high it'll get by the time it's done), that doesn't say anything about the fact its concept was in fact, not original. Neither was PS2s or NDSs - but they both set records in their own right by executing better than anything else before or after.

This is one of the reasons Switch succeeded as a hybrid while these TV out portables were virtually unknown by the public or cared about.
This is both revisionist history and underselling what was actually done with devices in the past. PSP introduced a lot of the multimedia aspects that everyone takes for granted in a handheld device today, including support for wireless controllers & headsets, getting various accessories, audio/speaker docks (and eventually TV-out) etc. It wasn't the best executed mainstream device(at best, maybe a top 10 entry), but it showed the way that eventually became standard practice, ahead of the market.

Amusingly, Sony actually did play with TV-out in 1k model, but they chose to not release with it (the ports were removed, HW itself didn't actually change in 2k model that brought it back). No idea if it was strategic(worried about competing with PS2, which eventually happened anyway, just in reverse) or cost-savings (the screen downgrade just ahead of launch etc. were other aspects that 1k suffered from). If the feature was there from launch, it might have been more widely remembered, though who knows what it would have done for its sales.

oh and this is what we had to use when I was in the Marine Corps. Probably the best solution to TV out for a portable but it wasn't exactly well known on the market.
So buying a whole extra console = best TV out for a portable? I mean don't get me wrong - it's superior to what we got later with Virtual console since it actually let you use games you owned already - but the other bit, not so much.

Last edited:

Holammer

Yeah, the WiiU was a real turd, but let's get real, that goes for the N64 & GameCube too.
Those machines might have been your childhood, but they had such weak backing it's actually within the realm of possibility to get a perfect collection with all games released for them. Especially the N64.

Nintendo's handhelds are the unsung heroes.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
No crap? If a console sold over a 100 million in a year, that would be a pretty big deal.
May I present you this bad boy.
"The iPhone 12 series has now sold over 100 million units and powered the first iPhone sales super-cycle since the launch of the ‌iPhone‌ 6, according to Counterpoint Research.Jun 30, 2021"

It plays games, so technically, its a gaming console.

LordOfChaos

I always found it odd how it seemed like they barely tried to save the Wii U. A quick turnaround like Microsoft on dropping Kinect and the price may have been something. Gamepad optional for games going forward, the $199 Wii HD it should have been conceived as, and it may have had not great but not this abysmal sales. And the "one game can save a system" they kept bringing up, was delayed to coincide with the Switch (the Wii U build was months old at launch, it was sitting there), and the Wii U features stripped out of the flagship title (going back to they should have just dropped the gamepad when they saw sales were so bad). I think BoTW only sold 3 million on Wii U with most sales on Switch.

It seemed like after the first two years they were like, ok, let's just not screw up the next system, trudge this along for a little while longer.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not much of a benchmark since Nintendo arrogantly launched the wii u with hardware that was almost a full generation behind the competition. I mean seriously, not sure what they were smoking. Only a year after it's launch it was completely screwed with ps4 and xbox one hardware complely destroying it.

3.44x faster CPU speed
8 x 1.6GHz vs3 x 1.24GHz
1.84 TFLOPSvs 0.352 TFLOPS
6GB more RAM memory
8GB vs 2GB
163.2GB/s higher memory bandwidth
176GB/s vs12.8GB/s
Plus 500gb of storage vs 8gb.......

Last edited:
Top Bottom