• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Outsells the Wii U in Less Than One Year - Sales

fart town usa

Gold Member
This may be true but I'm still buying Wii U games off the eShop and Sony isn't getting any of my money towards a PS5, for now at least.

Wii U wins again.

tom cruise laughing GIF

Kokoloko85

So we’re agreeing?

N64 MEH, GameCube OFF, Wii ON, Wii U OFF, Switch ON

Yeah sales wise/Success for sure.

But Personally I loved them all apart from the Wii lol.
N64 had some amazing all time great games (I prefer the Saturn overall because of JRPG’s, Fighting games, Shootem ups etc).
The Gamecube also had some Gold Titles. Less so on the Wii U but I liked it. But success wise yeah your right on the ball

Kokoloko85

Yeah, the WiiU was a real turd, but let's get real, that goes for the N64 & GameCube too.
Those machines might have been your childhood, but they had such weak backing it's actually within the realm of possibility to get a perfect collection with all games released for them. Especially the N64.

Nintendo's handhelds are the unsung heroes.

Nintendo’s handhelds are what kept them alive but the N64 and Gamecube had some awesome titles.

Mario 64
Mario Kart
Zelda OOT - Majoras Mask. WW. Twilight Princess
Mario Sunshine
Luigo’s Mansion
The Rare games - Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Banjo1-2, Donkey Kong, Jet Force Gemini.
Resident Evil 1 Remake and Zero
RE4
Pikmin 1-2
StarFox 64
Paper Mario’s
F zero’s
Mario Sport games
Hybrid Heaven
WWF No Mercy and the games before it
Naruto Shippuden
Sin and Punishment
Mario Party series
Smash Bros
Fire Emblem
Viewtiful Joe
Metroid Prime etc
Theres so many

Yeah I prefer my Saturn and PS1/PS2 but N64 had so many games that changed the industry and were legendary like Zelda OOT, Mario 64 and Golden Eye changed 1st person shooters on consoles.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PS5 with the wifi6 chip is primed for a dumb handheld screen. Release a Dual Sense Display (tm) edition. Woukd work perfectly around the house at least like a wiiu.

The biggest problem with the Wii U was exactly that it was a hybrid handheld that you could only use when in range of the "base station". Nobody wanted that. The Switch is pretty much the same idea executed much better.

Woopah

I would like to cry about it, but this fact keeps me from not crying.
"The Wii U has sold through 13.5 million units, making it officially Nintendo's worst-selling console.Feb 1, 2017"

On other hand, the wii sold 101.63 million. It sold more than the switch. Doubt ps5 will touch that, considering Xbox and Nintendo are going crazy this gen. Who knows.
I would be very very surprised if the PS5 sells less than the Wii.

kingfey

Banned
I would be very very surprised if the PS5 sells less than the Wii.
Let me see. pandemic, shortage. Doubt it will get close to that.

Unless the pandemic and the shortage goes away, no way the ps5 will hit those numbers. It will need to sell 13m every year to hit 100m+ for the remaining 7 years.

With Switch going strong, and Xbox practically doing gamepass service, it will be tough competition.

Shmunter

The biggest problem with the Wii U was exactly that it was a hybrid handheld that you could only use when in range of the "base station". Nobody wanted that. The Switch is pretty much the same idea executed much better.
Not even for toilet time?

Lol, I kid.

BbMajor7th

Sales comparisons: the Switch is absolutely a home console competing with XBOX and PlayStation.

Tech comparisons: the Switch is basically a handheld, they're not even trying to compete with Sony or Microsoft. This is the perfect game play On The Go™.

OT: this says way more about the Wii U's sales performance than it does the PS5's (which is hard to contextualise given the current circumstances).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
While this data is not reliable we have official data to rely.

Wii U LTD: 13.56m
PS5 end of Sep 2021: 13.3m
PS5 end of Dec 2021: 17.2m

So it happened probably in early October.

Last edited:
Top Bottom