• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 overtakes Nintendo Switch to become 2022’s best-selling console (so far} | UK Monthly Charts - August 2022

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

yazenov

If you're using the best selling model for PS5 than you should use the best selling model of Switch, the OLED at $350.

On a broader point, the analogy doesn't really work as difference in price and sales between Ferrari/Toyota and PS5/Switch are not comparable. The scale is on a completely different level.

Or to put it another way, this analogy would mean that the Xbox One launched as a Ferrari; a more luxury product than the PS4 and one that targeted higher income consumers than Sony's machine. But then a few years later both the Xbox One and PS4 had become Toyotas and were catering to the masses.

I mean, how hard is it to understand that a more expensive premium product outsold a more pocket-friendly product in both units and revenue is extremely impressive? Even in your example, the OLED model ( PS5 $500 - Switch OLED $350 = 150) $150 USD is a huge difference. Premium product vs. Mass market product, yet the premium product came out on top in both matrics of sales (units and Dollars).

Maybe because English is not my first language but you get the point, I hope.

Woopah

I mean, how hard is it to understand that a more expensive premium product outsold a more pocket-friendly product in both units and revenue is extremely impressive? Even in your example, the OLED model ( PS5 $500 - Switch OLED $350 = 150) $150 USD is a huge difference. Premium product vs. Mass market product, yet the premium product came out on top in both matrics of sales (units and Dollars).

Maybe because English is not my first language but you get the point, I hope.
The price difference gives PS5 the advantage in revenue and Switch the advantage in units. The unit sales for PS5 are certainly good, but so are the unit sales for Switch as a device in its 6th year. Both products are doing very very well.

What I disagree with is that one is that there is a clear distinction between one being a premium product and one is mass market product. They are both premium dedicated gaming devices, its just one is more expensive than the other.

The Xbox One was not a more premium product than the PS4 by being more expensive. The 360 was not a more mass market device than the PS3 by being cheaper. Likewise the GameCube was not more mass market than the PS2 or Xbox.

All those consoles were premium dedicated gaming devices and part of the same market.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If you're not a fan of UK sales threads you have the option to just not enter the threads or put them on ignore.

It's not that complicated.
Its not that im not a fan of them, its that I wanted to know why they matter and I got several answers.
So there is no issue here.

Also I live in the UK, do you or Onq123?

Last edited:

Woopah

I guess if you want a representation of about 5-10% of the overall market.
However one thing that did not occur to me was that UK is a good indicator how bigger market may behave.

x4tO59t.gif
That's almost always going to be the case, since different countries use different trackers so the reporting is very divided, Having said that, we do get monthly European information (although that report doesn't include hardware sales from UK or Germany.)

Sosokrates

That's almost always going to be the case, since different countries use different trackers so the reporting is very divided, Having said that, we do get monthly European information (although that report doesn't include hardware sales from UK or Germany.)
No the UK market is considerably smaller then Europe as a whole and the USA.

Lognor

Banned
The Switch is a "pure" portable system with a docking station. It's built with portability in mind (The battery is by far the biggest internal component) it has it's own dedicated screen and the dock isn't requiered to play the system. It doesn't get more handheld/portable than that.
It's everything to everyone. Truly one of the greatest consoles of all time. Not even close really

Woopah

No the UK market is considerably smaller then Europe as a whole and the USA.
Right, but that's the same for every country. The French market is smaller than Europe as a whole, as is the German market, Spanish market, Switzerland market etc. etc.

My point is that if you only want to see sales that make up a significant amount of the total market, then the only country sales that would give that is those of the US. Its good to see sales data from individual countries, even if they are only a small part of the market.

Sosokrates

Its good to see sales data from individual countries, even if they are only a small part of the market.
Yes, I realized this, but my initial query was that the larger markets like the USA and the whole of Europe give a better repersentation of the worldwide market. However I do agree with you that looking at smaller markets can give us indicators and trends of how the overall market will go.

Woopah

Yes, I realized this, but my initial query was that the larger markets like the USA and the whole of Europe give a better repersentation of the worldwide market. However I do agree with you that looking at smaller markets can give us indicators and trends of how the overall market will go.
Oh absolutely. It would be great to get hardware and software figures from every country! But we have to settle for the countries that we do get data from.

It's everything to everyone. Truly one of the greatest consoles of all time. Not even close really

It's a great system but it's still behind xb360, ps2,4 and snes imo. Those systems had bigger and better game library than switch. If switch had proper 3rd party support, it might be up there with those systems. Not to mention the functionality outside of games. How is it that the ps3 and 360 have better online and multimedia features than the switch when they released in 05 and 06? It's just poor and lazy from Nintendo.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It's a great system but it's still behind xb360, ps2,4 and snes imo. Those systems had bigger and better game library than switch. If switch had proper 3rd party support, it would be right up the with those systems.
He doesn't actually care about the switch. Lognor is like Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert . Both Xbox trolls, they deflect to Nintendo in sales threads because their console of choice is always last. Fake mega fan of Nintendo.
Yeah I really love how people forget that the Wii U was the actual rival for the PS4. It's not Sony's fault that it flopped so hard that Nintendo had to release a new one really fast.
Wii U was the home console and the Switch is the handheld. They are both from the same 8th generation. This is the official word. Switch 2 will be next-gen.

Impotaku

It's a great system but it's still behind xb360, ps2,4 and snes imo. Those systems had bigger and better game library than switch. If switch had proper 3rd party support, it would be right up the with those systems.
I have no idea what you deem "proper" unless you mean the AAA western 3rd party broken crap that's released half finished with a 50 gig day 1 patch. Then yes thankfully the switch tends to be for the most part missed by the usual (ea/activision/ubisoft) AAA western devs. As for snes having a bigger & better library than switch, lol fuck no not even remotely close it's quite apparent you haven't played on a switch enough if you think the library is that small & devoid of 3rd party games. Maybe look beyond the top 10 shelf of the game store. I have 230 switch games out of those only 10% at best are from nintendo the rest are from 3rd party devs between europe/japan & the usa there's crazy amounts coming out for switch which is why next gen got it's ass handed to it as people actually want to play games not endlessly wait for them.

I guess if you want a representation of about 5-10% of the overall market.
However one thing that did not occur to me was that UK is a good indicator how bigger market may behave.

x4tO59t.gif

What we see in a market like the UK is a good barometer for extrapolating what might be happening with the US, since the two markets are very similar.

Besides that we know in territories like Japan things heavily favor Nintendo but Japan doesn't have a lot of other markets with its type of conditions or broadly similar, so it's a bit of an exception and therefore results there can't really be used to extrapolate for what performances in other markets might look like.

I love how folks are like "pure handheld" sir...you can pick that shit up and play it on the go, its a handheld. I've never seen the ability to out thru a TV as ever defining what the device is. I can out my phone to a TV, thats like saying some dumb shit like "its not a PURE PHONE" lol

Keep in mind, if people really believed this 100%, no bullshit, where is there threads telling us to add the fucking PSP as home console sale? I mean the shit isn't a "PURE HANDHELD" as you can out that to a tv.

Folks never went out of their way to goal post this shit, PSP was a portable REGARDLESS of a feature to out to a tv, I don't see how adding a cord as a extra is now suddenly changing what folks call it. I simply see this as something people do to cope with Nintendo no longer being in that home console market, but I knew long ago that if Nintendo left that market following Wii U, they 'd just throw in some HDMI, release a handheld only and call it a day.

That was exactly what they did and its doing wonders for them. I see no reason for folks to get upset over how its named or something, its a great handheld and moving great units for them like their past handhelds. I see no reason to reach to pretend thats not what it is or something. One can plug their phone into a tv and use it as a media player, that doesn't mean its not a phone folks.

Its silly and sounds cringe lol

You actually bring up a good point about PSP having HDMI Out to a TV. That actually changes this conversation WRT Switch A LOT. What makes the Switch any less of a portable than the PSP when they can both display their content to a TV, and neither have a dock that provides additional processing power?

This is what makes calling the Switch a home console kind of BS IMO; if it's a home console, then the PSP should be considered a home console too. I think it comes down to optics perception and Nintendo's own marketing why so many want to classify Switch as a console though. If they classify it as a handheld, then sales-wise it actually just trends somewhat better than 3DS but comes well short of the DS, then you have to consider that during the DS's era Nintendo also had the Wii adding another 100 million to DS's 155 million.

In other words, if Switch were classified as a portable then Nintendo not having a home console, takes their peak generational hardware sales from 255 million to just under 120 million, and there's no chance on God' green Earth that Switch or even Switch 2 combined with Switch reach 255 million. Even if they did, it'd of taken them multiple additional years over multiple generations to accomplish it.

But the silly part is, this obsession with people who want to classify Switch as a home console (or "hybrid", when again older portables like the PSP could count as a hybrid, or at least the PSP Go, as it natively supported DualShock 3 controllers), it only happens when your scope for what defines a successful console is limited by unit sales. So it's a bit funny when some PlayStation fans get accused of being narrowly focused on unit sales as the only measure of success worth mentioning, but I see way more Nintendo fans who do that with the Switch 🤷‍♀️

I will post the EU monthly charts/article when we get it. I do think that we probably need to have a table/estimate of the total market numbers as a % of WW results cause yeah, I suspect that it gets kinda lost when we post individual market numbers. Fundamentally more data is always good.

I think UK August numbers was like 1/2 of Japan's weekly numbers assuming famitsu numbers are correct.

UK August - 125k consoles
JP August - 347k roughly (tried to do it in my head)

TBH might want to consider switching to Media Create for Japanese numbers, apparently they are more accurate than Famitsu and Nintendo themselves actually use the Media Create numbers, not Famitsu's.

Only issue there is, MC is a paid service, Famitsu's info is free.

I have no idea what you deem "proper" unless you mean the AAA western 3rd party broken crap that's released half finished with a 50 gig day 1 patch. Then yes thankfully the switch tends to be for the most part missed by the usual (ea/activision/ubisoft) AAA western devs. As for snes having a bigger & better library than switch, lol fuck no not even remotely close it's quite apparent you haven't played on a switch enough if you think the library is that small & devoid of 3rd party games. Maybe look beyond the top 10 shelf of the game store. I have 230 switch games out of those only 10% at best are from nintendo the rest are from 3rd party devs between europe/japan & the usa there's crazy amounts coming out for switch which is why next gen got it's ass handed to it as people actually want to play games not endlessly wait for them.

Reply again when your less emotional. Than we can actually have a proper discussion.

You could also say that every Nintendo handheld is just as, if not more, successful than Sony home consoles;

Game Boy 118.69 million sold
Game Boy Advance 81.51 million sold
Nintendo DS 154.02 million sold
Nintendo 3DS 75.94 million sold
Nintendo Switch 111.08 million sold

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/

So yeah. Based on that pattern Switch 2 could sell around 80 million units.
Seems about right, specially if we consider that the Switch success is creating some competing platforms that share the footprint.

Before, if anyone wanted to play Doom on a handheld, the Switch was your best and only bet, now it's the worst. And it'll probably stay that way with anything multiplatform even if a Switch 2 is released.

reksveks

TBH might want to consider switching to Media Create for Japanese numbers, apparently they are more accurate than Famitsu and Nintendo themselves actually use the Media Create numbers, not Famitsu's.

Only issue there is, MC is a paid service, Famitsu's info is free.
Yeah, saw the convo around the discrepancy of the xbox numbers. I would be happy to post either that come but we don't get MC afaik often enough.

Lognor

Banned
He doesn't actually care about the switch. Lognor is like Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert . Both Xbox trolls, they deflect to Nintendo in sales threads because their console of choice is always last. Fake mega fan of Nintendo.

Wii U was the home console and the Switch is the handheld. They are both from the same 8th generation. This is the official word. Switch 2 will be next-gen.

[/URL]
Wtf are you talking about. Don't talk bullshit about me and if you do tag me so I can call o
You out on it.

I do care about switch. Deal with it. I have my og switch and I'm currently playing through xb3. I'll play splatoon 3 once I'm done with xb3. I have already pre-ordered persona on switch. So stfu about what I do or don't care about. No need to be butthurt because I don't like Sony.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Wtf are you talking about. Don't talk bullshit about me and if you do tag me so I can call o
You out on it.

I do care about switch. Deal with it. I have my og switch and I'm currently playing through xb3. I'll play splatoon 3 once I'm done with xb3. I have already pre-ordered persona on switch. So stfu about what I do or don't care about. No need to be butthurt because I don't like Sony.
I have 2 Switch. Every PS5 fan I know have Switches. We don't see the Switch as a threat at all. You and Bernd can keep using the Switch to deflect and downplay the PS5 but it's not working. Different market and different gen.

Your console is last. Deal with it.

Ogbert

I have 2 Switch. Every PS5 fan I know have Switches. We don't see the Switch as a threat at all. You and Bernd can keep using the Switch to deflect and downplay the PS5 but it's not working. Different market and different gen.

‘We don’t see the Switch as a threat’.

You’re talking about a plastic toy, not geopolitical warfare.

So cringey.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

My point exactly
So what do actually think of the UK sales, considering you haven't really talked about it much in this thread? Or do u just want to continue this silly back and forth you started? Seriously dude what is your goal here?

Nintendo is behind in graphics.
720p on a 4k television looks terrible and I'm not even a graphics whore.

I can only surmise that it is a great handheld (or casuals just really don't care and are just playing Animal crossing) but it's embarrassing as a home console in 2022.

onQ123

So what do actually think of the UK sales, considering you haven't really talked about it much in this thread? Or do u just want to continue this silly back and forth you started? Seriously dude what is your goal here?
I said it in the beginning that I was shocked that PS5 overtook Switch YTD

Lognor

Banned

Here's another dumb post. Switch is the market leader. Deal with it. Having a Switch and xbox is a perfect combo. Every Sony game will eventually land on pc now so I don't have to miss any titles anymore! Woot

Sosokrates

To be fair, you're the one who came in here saying sales threads from 'your own damn country' seem pointless. Might benefit you to not be allowed to discuss in these threads, saves you a lot of time from pointless activity.

So we can't learn things from other posters and discussion. I mean my initial points were not incorrect and there is been decent discussion and learning I've had in here, so it's not just negative like your portraying it to be here.

Top Bottom