• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 overtakes Nintendo Switch to become 2022’s best-selling console (so far} | UK Monthly Charts - August 2022

Gaming is growing PS5 could do better than PS4 if they had the stock.
Hey they could have sold 10 million more PS4s if they had the stock. I remember in 2020 people were buying used PS4s basically the price of new that were still available the previous year.

Last edited:

Trilobit

It's so frustrating to not be able to buy the PS5. I was finally close on one site, but it got sold out just as I was going to check out.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I hope the nintendo sales start tanking soon simply because i want a switch 2. A game could be a 9 on nintendo (xenoblade 3) and it still feels like a 7 due to the shitty hardware.

Ah, but it's foolhardy to expect Nintendo to simply release a more powerful "Switch 2." They've never done that. They always go for something new and different. True, the digital store front will be the same and the pro controller will remain, but the main gimmick of the console might likely be something entirely new.

Personally, I would be happy with a more powerful Switch, one with more reliable joycon controllers, but I do also expect something different. This console, after all, is really just a revision of the Wii U concept, and once Nintendo succeeds on a novel innovation, they put it down and almost never touch it again. You'll notice that we're not playing on Wii 4.0 or DS 5.0 or Super Duper NES.

They could surprise us with anything. And we all know how much Nintendo loves surprises.

Ah, but it's foolhardy to expect Nintendo to simply release a more powerful "Switch 2." They've never done that. They always go for something new and different. True, the digital store front will be the same and the pro controller will remain, but the main gimmick of the console might likely be something entirely new.

Personally, I would be happy with a more powerful Switch, one with more reliable joycon controllers, but I do also expect something different. This console, after all, is really just a revision of the Wii U concept, and once Nintendo succeeds on a novel innovation, they put it down and almost never touch it again. You'll notice that we're not playing on Wii 4.0 or DS 5.0 or Super Duper NES.

They could surprise us with anything. And we all know how much Nintendo loves surprises.

They did that with consoles, not necessarily their handhelds which i think Switch is closer to. They released like 10 iterations of the original DS, so far the switch only has two, i expect a 3DS style upgrade over the original switch.

Nintendo would be absolutely insane to do anything that veers away from the portable market at this point. Whatever they do will 100% be a hybrid again. They pretty much have a complete monopoly on the handheld gaming market outside of mobile

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
They did that with consoles, not necessarily their handhelds which i think Switch is closer to. They released like 10 iterations of the original DS, so far the switch only has two, i expect a 3DS style upgrade over the original switch.

Nintendo would be absolutely insane to do anything that veers away from the portable market at this point. Whatever they do will 100% be a hybrid again. They pretty much have a complete monopoly on the handheld gaming market outside of mobile

"Outside of mobile" is one heckuva loophole. You could fly planets through that baby.

I would certainly agree that "Switch 2" is the most logical and sensible solution for a next-generation console. But this is Nintendo. Logic? Sensibility? Eh, maybe. Expect the unexpected.

"Outside of mobile" is one heckuva loophole. You could fly planets through that baby.

I would certainly agree that "Switch 2" is the most logical and sensible solution for a next-generation console. But this is Nintendo. Logic? Sensibility? Eh, maybe. Expect the unexpected.

The difference is that nintendo is mostly making their bread and butter on premium priced games. They are closer to the traditional console market still than the mobile market.

They get the same cross over of mobile platforms but they are selling their games for 60 dollars just like other AAA publishers and will probably bump up the price next gen like everyone else.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
PSvita is also a home console, when using same logic as with switch.

There is even home console version of vita, the vita tv.

Calling switch a (pure) home console is just false, yes it can be used as home console, but it is basically a handheld with tv out and there is handheld only model, so it is more of handheld than home console.

It is its own category and most fair thing to compare sales wise is to compare it to combined wii+ds numbers, as it replaced both kind of devices. Comparing it to home console only systems (ps5+xbox) is kind of not logical.

Home console should be a system, that can only be used with TV, anything else is either a portable, or something different. Nintendo also have kind of different audience than playstation/xbox, so it is not like many people choose between them three, they just want nintendo and nothing else.

I have ps5+series x + switch

Switch have never been sold out in my country

PS5 have been sold out since the launch

Series s have been available since the launch

Series x have been mostly sold out, but also available for some months in big quantities, like it have been available for weeks now

So basically same as gens before, playstation always sells out, others dont. But difference is that ps5 have been sold out for years instead of few months. And on world wide scale, PS5 have been the only truly supply constrained system of them all, as switch + xbox have never been sold out on global scale
You need to get out more.

Top Bottom