• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owner: I just bought a Xbox Series X - I'm very impressed

Iced Arcade

Welcome to gaming over taking about gaming. Lol

I use a flat charging station for my Xbox controllers from PDP

mHUIRGd.jpg
I have the same but single (all they had at the time). Swappable strong battery pack is the way to go.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's a lot of impressions but the most important thing was actually missing in the OP.
for example, what did you actually play?
You mentioned COD.. anything else or was that it?
Edit, I see
Flight Sim, Halo Infinite, Forza, Gears?
What's your thoughts on those?

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
I wanted to build my "own Xbox" at first , but I cant get a hold of a graphics card (for retail). I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 5800X, 32GB DDR4, ITX Mainboard, 750W ITX corsair PSU, ssupd meshlicius case etc. a couple months ago in hope I could buy a GPU in the near future, but I gave up. My PC has a cheap geforce 405 in it right now, just to work, so I cant game on it. Instead I found a used XSX + Turtle Beach 700 Gen 2 Headset for 550€ and went for it. I had the OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and now the Xbox Series X. Havent had a Xbox in almost 10+ years and I never thought I would buy one again, since all Xbox Studio Games come to PC too, but fuck it. I actually bought the 20 yr anniversary xbox controller for my PC before I got the XSX, just because it looked so cool and reminded me of the OG Xbox Controller (the plastics and rubber back feel way better than the controller that comes with the XSX btw).

So here are my impressions as a "longtime" Playstation owner and PC player:

- The hardware is MUCH better than PS5. Smaller footprint, looks sleek, more powerful (at least on paper), bigger SSD (approx. 800GB usable vs. 667GB or so), SILENT under load, much quiter than my PS5 (mine has pretty loud coilwhine, e.g. COD Vanguard with 120Hz)
- Startup from standby is almost INSTANT!!! (2-3seconds vs 20seconds or so)
- the UI feels much more joyful to use and is pretty customizable (custom wallpapers, accent colors, pinning apps and games , dark mode, night mode, etc.)
- 120Hz +4k output on all games (my LG C1 says so at least, which should reduce latency and input lag even on 30fps games!?)
- Dolby vision in all HDR10 games (I think!?)
- Quick Resume (I dont think PS5 will ever get this feature, maybe PS6)
- better BC and FPS boost on many old titles
- Dev Mode for emulation (didnt try that one for now)
- Many more features (VRR, controller button mapping, linking player profiles to controllers e.t.c.)

I also must mention some things I DONT LIKE:
- The controller feels "dead" and oldschool. No speakers/mic, not rechargable. The vibration is almost never used (in games I played at least) and I miss the adaptive triggers (Returnal used them heavily)
- MS Games dont look and feel "next gen" (except flight sim maybe) compared to PS Studio Games like Demons souls, Spiderman MM, Ratchet & Clank, Returnal etc.
- MS Games are very big (mostly around 100GB for Flight Sim, Halo Infinite, Forza, Gears etc.)
- Cant upgrade SSD with regular m2 SSDs (bought a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro for my PS5 on black friday for 250€)

I will probably use the XSX as a game pass machine and will still buy 3rd party games + 1st party titles for PS5 since I prefer the controller and I only know one other person with an Xbox LOL.

Am I missing something? Please correct me If I told BS.

PS. Oh and did I mention Game pass? I bought 3yrs for 80€ or so (thx to mydealz.de), which is like the price of one PS5 game over here.
I just got an XSX last week and this is pretty much the same experience I've had aside from no opinion on VRR/120hz DV (not supported on my A90J).

My biggest complaint is the size (doesn't fit in my media center and looks ugly on top) and the loudness of using the controller. I skipped the XB1 gen after having both a PS3/360 so you all may be used to it, but I could not believe how loud the XSX controller is. I woke my wife up the first night I had it because I didn't realize the sticks were making so much noise.

Everything else is a nitpick and can be fixed by future updates (HDR UI, quicker home menu access), but if I had a PC w/ a new GPU I wouldn't have much reason to own both a PC and XSX.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I really hope MS will release a new and improved "mid gen" Xbox Series Controller next year with better rumble, adaptive triggers, integrated battery etc. I think Major Nelson or Phil Spencer mentioned that they are looking into it or something. But I guess older titles would need to get patched.
I'm one of those people who angrily tweeted at Microsoft for only having an integrated battery option in the Elite Series 2 haha! Like another poster, I've had the same Eneloop batteries since the beginning of the XB1 generation. I want that choice.

Last edited:

mili2110

That's a lot of impressions but the most important thing was actually missing in the OP.
Edit, I see

I played Forza 5, Halo Infinite MP, Gears 5 campagne and I really like them. Flight Sim I uninstalled after 10 Minutes or so because I am too stupid to get of the ground lol. Psychonauts 2 looked fun and Ori and the blind forrest I started, since I havent played it in years. I also wanted to install Sea of thieves, but my SSD is 99% full. So far the games are cool for, but I still like the Sony games more. MS Games feel like they all are MP games first with an attached campaign mode, while Sony games feel like big budget interactive movies. I dont know how to explain it better.

Concern

Congrats op.

Always like to have both consoles to not miss out on anything. I'm kinda holding out hope for a Ps5 revision or pro tho.

Launch Ps4 still going strong lol

mili2110

Congrats op.

Always like to have both consoles to not miss out on anything. I'm kinda holding out hope for a Ps5 revision or pro tho.

Launch Ps4 still going strong lol
Same here. I would buy a PS5 Slim instantly, if it was quiter, smaller and had no coil whine. I recored 45db under load ony my PS5 Digital Edition.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I wanted to build my "own Xbox" at first , but I cant get a hold of a graphics card (for retail). I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 5800X, 32GB DDR4, ITX Mainboard, 750W ITX corsair PSU, ssupd meshlicius case etc. a couple months ago in hope I could buy a GPU in the near future, but I gave up. My PC has a cheap geforce 405 in it right now, just to work, so I cant game on it. Instead I found a used XSX + Turtle Beach 700 Gen 2 Headset for 550€ and went for it. I had the OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and now the Xbox Series X. Havent had a Xbox in almost 10+ years and I never thought I would buy one again, since all Xbox Studio Games come to PC too, but fuck it. I actually bought the 20 yr anniversary xbox controller for my PC before I got the XSX, just because it looked so cool and reminded me of the OG Xbox Controller (the plastics and rubber back feel way better than the controller that comes with the XSX btw).

- The hardware is MUCH better than PS5. Smaller footprint, looks sleek, more powerful (at least on paper), bigger SSD (approx. 800GB usable vs. 667GB or so), SILENT under load, much quiter than my PS5 (mine has pretty loud coilwhine, e.g. COD Vanguard with 120Hz)
- the UI feels much more joyful to use and is pretty customizable (custom wallpapers, accent colors, pinning apps and games , dark mode, night mode, etc.)
- 120Hz +4k output on all games (my LG C1 says so at least, which should reduce latency and input lag even on 30fps games!?)
- Many more features (VRR, controller button mapping, linking player profiles to controllers e.t.c.)

- The controller feels "dead" and oldschool. No speakers/mic, not rechargable. The vibration is almost never used (in games I played at least) and I miss the adaptive triggers (Returnal used them heavily)
- MS Games dont look and feel "next gen" (except flight sim maybe) compared to PS Studio Games like Demons souls, Spiderman MM, Ratchet & Clank, Returnal etc.
- MS Games are very big (mostly around 100GB for Flight Sim, Halo Infinite, Forza, Gears etc.)
- Cant upgrade SSD with regular m2 SSDs (bought a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro for my PS5 on black friday for 250€)

I will probably use the XSX as a game pass machine and will still buy 3rd party games + 1st party titles for PS5 since I prefer the controller and I only know one other person with an Xbox LOL.

PS. Oh and did I mention Game pass? I bought 3yrs for 80€ or so (thx to mydealz.de), which is like the price of one PS5 game over here.
Yea, you pretty much nailed it.

I'm also disappointed by the new controller. To be fair, the Xbox One controller is pretty much flawless aside from the Dpad. Sony's got the best Dpad in the business. I also refuse to buy such an expansive SSD. I just pay for unlimited data from my ISP and download games in 20 min thanks to the Gigabyte internet download speeds. Still waiting on true next gen experiences to arrive, though Forza Horizon 5 is pretty much on par. It's a racing game so it's somewhat difficult to showcase like you would expect in like a Ratchet n Clank game. I suspect next year will be the time.

I also agree with your positive remarks as well.

Last edited:

Concern

Same here. I would buy a PS5 Slim instantly, if it was quiter, smaller and had no coil whine. I recored 45db under load ony my PS5 Digital Edition.

Thats not bad. Especially if you use headphones. My ps4 gave me the habit of using them. Now I feel weird without any lol.

Sifu has me really interested even though im pretty sure its timed exclusive.

Edit, I see

I cannot speak for OP but for me on the combo of Series X + gamepass has been -
  • The Ascent
  • Battletoads
  • Control (owned it before GP)
  • DOOM 1 & II (classic), DOOM 2016
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Ms Flight
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (brilliant campaign game)
  • Gang Beasts
  • Halo MCC (owned before GP)
  • Halo 5 (owned before GP)
  • Halo Infinite
  • It Takes Two (wonderful game to play with family/kids)
  • Exo One (good muck around with my son)
  • Checked out Hello Neighbour
  • Checked out Avengers (didn't like it)
  • No Man's Sky (kinda got stuck in a weird look bug and never played it again)
  • Various Rare games via BC e.g. Perfect Dark, Banjo
  • Prey (replay)
  • Sea of Thieves (owned before GP, still muck around with my son and his friends)
  • Slime Rancher (kids played it)
  • Subnautica (kids played it)
  • Will play the Medium (just haven't gotten around to it yet)
  • Will play The Riftbreaker (soon)
  • Tried the Outer Worlds (not a fan)
  • Wreckfest (cool pick up any old time title, checked with son for a laugh sometimes)
  • Wanting to play through the Yakuza series but slow to get started
  • Daughter and wife will play Among Us
  • Want to play Aliens: Fireteam Elite
  • Guacamelee 1 & 2, awesome awesome games.
  • Ori of course.
  • Son plays Ark with friends
  • Max: curse of the brotherhood (great family game, kids loved it)
  • Killer Instinct in parties (so fun to have spectators and who is fighting the winner next)
  • Wife and daughter love the Sims 4 (don't care to know how much they've spent on packs)
  • Checked out Gears 5 for the first act (not my thing, I hate the aiming)
  • Daughter and wife like Two Point Hospital
  • Tried some multiplayer on Halo Wars 2 with friends (and ran through the campaign once)
  • Tried FIFA 20 (not a big fan of the mechanics)
  • Golfing with Friends (pisser game in a party, falls apart with my kids a bit)
Shit I didn't mean to write that much out but Gamepass has been a wonderful gaming addition in our household, for my kids and with the XBL buds.

Last edited:

Bridges

I'm one of those people who angrily tweeted at Microsoft for only having an integrated battery option in the Elite Series 2 haha! Like another poster, I've had the same Eneloop batteries since the beginning of the XB1 generation. I want that choice.
I picked up Enloops after seeing several posters here recommend them and they have been great, honestly way better than the Xbox One Play-and-charge pack (haven't tried the newer X|S version). I will evangelize with everyone else, they are fantastic and perfect for Xbox use.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sweet. Load up those 3 years of Gold then do the $1 trick. Boom. You now got 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate! I dont do PC gaming except for low end indie games, but it will also include GP on PC if you game there. MS first party games are cross plat unless it's a console only or PC only game.

MS's monthly Games with Gold are pretty shit games, but they'll have around 4 old games to check out. I almost always dont even bother downloading them. Theyve gotten worse and worse the better GP gets.

But then check out GP (master list or recently added section) and enjoy queuing up shit loads of downloads all night! But the SSD is only so big. And in order to take advantage of Series perks you have to have the game installed on the internal SSD. Games will have a Series S/X tag on them if they do. So put your high priority games on the SSD. Games can be stored on an external HDD or SSD and played off them, but they will look and play as I think One X specs at best (not sure here, but definitely not at Series X perks).

Not all games stick around forever, but first party games do (aside from occasional Forza games disappearing due to licensing). Games come and go. EA Sports will dump off old games every once in a while, but it seems all their non-sports stay forever. If youre an EA fan, check out all their shooters, sports etc.... All their games come to EA Play (part of GP) about 9 months later. So if you can wait it out and dont need to buy an EA game day one like a sports game or BF, just wait for it on GP!

Also, just about every Bethesda game is available too if you like their franchises.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I picked up Enloops after seeing several posters here recommend them and they have been great, honestly way better than the Xbox One Play-and-charge pack (haven't tried the newer X|S version). I will evangelize with everyone else, they are fantastic and perfect for Xbox use.

the play and charge works the same on both.

isoRhythm

Banned
Same here although I prefer my Elite Series 2 controller on XSX, but DualSense is great as well. If Microsoft improves their achievements then I might start buying more games on Xbox but I like hunting for Platinum trophies. As it is, Game Pass and MS Rewards give a ton of games without paying a dime. So both my consoles get plenty of love.
How many platinums you got?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shame you got a whiner, I've got a Disc version myself and outside the occasion disc spin I literally have to put my ear near touching it to hear the fucker.
My external HDD makes more sound 🤣
And that can be only heard in dead silence at night.

Last edited:

TexMex

I actually just got one too. My first Xbox since the first year or two of the 360. It was more of an impulse buy than anything because I was just shocked to find one so I pulled the trigger. Really want it for a convenient way to play old games, all on the same storefront, on a modern display.

Obviously, love the form factor of the hardware itself. It just looks better than a PS5.
Love that the system is dead silent.
I’ve already gotten my money’s worth out of Game Pass, but we all know that already.

In the store - I’m shocked at how much some of this shit costs. Stuff like Fable is 39.99 still - which is fucking insane. I know I know, GamePass. But it almost makes GamePass not even optional. Nintendo is regularly crucified for their pricing of old games - has anyone looked at the prices in this Xbox storefront on old stuff? It’s fucking insane.

I’ve always liked the Xbox controller just fine, and never stopped using one because of PC, but gotta say I enjoy the Dual Sense more. It just feels much better in my hands, especially for FPS. Also, and this is the only true negative in my whole experience - I am shocked to find that they aren’t just standard rechargeable controllers. It is fucking insane to me that I need a giant box of AA batteries in 2021. I was doing this for my Wavebird. I can’t believe I’m doing it now. Awful.

The UI is fine and I probably shouldn’t comment because people hate change, but it’s just super dull? Functional but dull. I personally love the PS5 UI, its slick and fast. This is pretty weak. Not horrible, just super average.

I gotta say I’m really spoiled by the PS5 SSD too. It really does feel significantly faster. I mean that initial load on Forza 5 I thought my system had locked up. That’s the exception, nothing unbearable in other cases, but still not as fast pretty much across the board, so far.

tmlDan

I mean better as in more features. AutoHDR, FPS Boost, quick resume, better back compat, VRR etc are what I was alluding to.
It's not objective unless you use those features, faster load times on PS5, better exclusives, better third part deals, 3D audio, Haptic feedback, controller mic, nicer UI, game assist cards, soon-to-be discord implementation.

It's preference imo - i'm trying to get a series X for my LG C1 while my PS5 is attached to my PC monitor because of the features you stated but i can't find one :(

It's not objective unless you use those features, faster load times on PS5, better exclusives, better third part deals, 3D audio, Haptic feedback, controller mic, nicer UI, game assist cards, soon-to-be discord implementation.
That's super subjective in many items though whereas the other list is actual features...

You are on the money though, it's preference. I preferred to get both, but it's about 95% Series X in usage terms for me. For me, better hardware, more useful features, games that I prefer and the killer app - Gamepass - mean it's not even a contest right now. In value terms there's no argument for me, especially as Sony have gone a little insane with their pricing this gen. Hopefully Sony can find some games and services to get me using the PS5 more next year, and come to their senses on price. I want to play Ghost of Tsushima but Sony's stupid practise of charging me for the PS5 upgrade means the PS4 version is just sitting there unplayed on principle (I bought it on PS4 but waited for PS5 to play it - still waiting, and will keep waiting until they give it away free or I can get the DC for $10).

Sleepwalker

Don't even need that. MS makes a battery pack, and the X|S controllers are USB C.

17295610282014.jpg

Ive had 2 of these burn my controllers during the xbox one days, left them to charge came back to burnt plastic.

I bought this one on release with the XSX and a few months in it just won't charge anymore not sure why, seemed to be a common issue on reddit at the time. Died just after the return period on amazon ended. Based on my experience I can't recommend it.

I ended getting rechargeable batteries and done.

TDiddyLive

you have to try ps5 games sometimes. Its not a good idea to be mind closed for one console.

You will see the positive and cons of each console that way. Plus you get to enjoy both worlds.
Why should he have to drop $500+ when he is happy with what he has? I game primarily on Xbox and have friends that play PS5 and are happy with it. I’m not going to tell them to drop a bunch of money so they can play a few exclusives they probably don’t care about.

Corndog

Banned

I’m not a fan of the shoulder buttons.

Rykan

Most people who own both systems come to the same conclussion: From a purely hardware/service perspective, the Series X is simply a much better system than the Playstation 5. It still has a lot of catch up to the in the games department, but it's getting there.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve never owned an Xbox prior to the Series X, but I agree that it is a really good system.

I also agree about the controller complaints, there’s a lot more they can do there. I especially miss gyro capabilities..

Cornbread78

I'm a PS main, but I really like my SeX and what MS has done with the XBox ecosystem this gen. I've spent a ton of money on older exclusives and GP as well, so MS is doing fine by me

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned

I think that you(like most of us) are mixing your personal preferences/feelings and technical details/differences. Anybody can list tens of things but they are not really true or false 100%.

"The hardware is MUCH better than PS5. Smaller footprint, looks sleek, more powerful (at least on paper), bigger SSD (approx. 800GB usable vs. 667GB or so), SILENT under load, much quiter than my PS5 (mine has pretty loud coilwhine, e.g. COD Vanguard with 120Hz)"

Objectively not true, neither are really that MUCH of better, they are just different. PS5 is the bit more engineered (audio engine, SSD, I/O, other custom stuff + dualsense), but weaker theoretical performance. Xbox is the one with better theoretical power, but being more traditional system. PS5 games tend to be bit smaller (not all of course) so that renders the SSD size diffrence away. No console with moving parts is SILENT, that is just nonsense. On room with really low background noise almost any system can be heard from 2-5m away. But is xbox less noisy than PS5, probably. And it is subjective, some hear/notice what others wont.

I HATE noisy consoles, hated all ps4+pro versions I had, but PS5 is really quiet, it is not silent but perfectly tolerable even with the small coil whine, but yes xbox probably wins the crown of less noisy, but not literally silent system.
I have friends whom have claimed their console is silent, yet it have been audible from across the house and so on. By this I meant that people use term SILENT often on cases when it is 100% false.
Silent basically would mean an item which doesnt emit any noise at all, like a rock.

Visual looks are matter of opinion, IMO PS5 looks really nice, I have it vertical on floor and honestly whom doesnt have room for any console, unless they are really specific how they design their interior? Series X looks good to me too, but visuals are just matter of taste and neither really needs too much of space unless user is nuts and tries to fit them somewhere they dont belong, like narrow tv-cabinets etc. I mean, we live in the era where we have TVs that are 40-100" yet almost nobody claims they take too much of space :D

"- Startup from standby is almost INSTANT!!! (2-3seconds vs 20seconds or so)"
Is this rest mode vs cold boot? because PS5 also start up in few seconds from sleep mode. Standby doesnt mean that you turn it completely off.

" the UI feels much more joyful to use and is pretty customizable (custom wallpapers, accent colors, pinning apps and games , dark mode, night mode, etc.)"

This is just personal preference, Playstation OS goes for simplicity and functionality, xbox OS just seems more complex and full of stuff compared to it, but if you like customize things then it is nice.
PS4 OS were simpler than PS5 one. But consoles are for games, not for OS so this is kind of irrelevant as long as we can manage to start games.

"
- Many more features (VRR, controller button mapping, linking player profiles to controllers e.t.c.)"

Not sure if xbox really outputs/scales everything to 120Hz/4k, but internal resolution+fps definetly isnt that for majority for games. Input lag isnt even a thing anyways, maybe on some Street fighter kind of games but on non-competitive genres I have never heard that input lag is really a thing, unless there is some bug on the specific game.

Dolby vision/HDR, cant say much about these, to me HDR is just not much different at all, I have Sony A8H oled + friends have high end LCDs with good HDR, yet I just dont think it is really worth it. But could be true! To me it just looks "brighter" and with oled dark scenes are already epic, personally I hate any light bleeding so OLED is the choise.

Quick resume = yes, true but this is also really personal and specific thing, I have personally never had the urge to switch between 5 games in 5 minutes, and chancing discs takes some time anyway. But you really cant claim PS5 is somehow slow to start up games. And having one game on quick resume is already good than enough for people whom play 1 game at time. But yes, having more games on quick resume is of course technically better, but not essential for many.

Better BC is true, if you count 360 games. PS5 supports almost all ps4 games and that is probably enough for most, but it would be indeed nice to have universal fps/resolution boost for ps4 games so xbox wins, but PS5 is good enough too.

dev mode = true

VRR issue is way overblown, nice to have but it is not important at all. When games maintain stable 30/60 fps most of the time. I considered to wait for new Sony oleds when I bought mine because of VRR, but I got into conclusion that it is not worth hundreds of euros + months of waiting. And I have not seen any real issues of tearing/fps drops on any games on ps5 yet. Something minor but if I would care about FPS I would get 144Hz PC stuff.

TL;DR
Both systems are great gaming consoles, neither are really that much of better than another, majority of things are personal preferences and in the end even the fastest or most engineered system is useless, if devs dont utilize those. Like making games like desert bus / black tiger -> even 100 Tflops wont matter because they are just low quality games.

And my long answer is basically an example that we can talk and talk and give our opinions that are affected by personal preferences, but in the end BOTH systems are really close to each other and BOTH systems are in my opinion closest to "specific manufacturers perfection" than any gen before.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
This gen I always wanted to move to Xbox over Ps, especially because I don't give a fuck about the first party games from Sony. But... Square Enix fucked me up and decided to make all their major titles exclusives to PS5 atm. So there's that. But I'm with everyone jumping ship right now, MS is proving to be a much more future proof leader over Sony which came out with a console conceptually dated already, games included.

I sin because I can't otherwise.

BigLee74

quicker home menu access
This was instantaneous for a year, then they released the 4K dashboard…

I don’t notice the difference the 4K dashboard has made, but I certainly notice the 2 or 3 seconds it takes to respond to pressing the home button when in the middle of a game. Not all the time, but it obviously g er s dumped from memory at some point and needs reloaded or something.

They should have left it!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So amazing to have both, and your thoughts mirror mine mostly and I consider myself leaning more towards Xbox. I’m a green rat and proud.

BUT I deffo like the ps5 a damn lot outside of its size vs the Xbox. It’s blisteringly fast loading games, I love the dual sense (if the triggers aren’t breaking) and it feels like a console to me even though the parts are similar. You just turn it on and play some games. I think it will have amazing exclusives that will warrant its purchase. Being a pc user it was nice to get a 980 pro for 90 quid on Black Friday and just drop it in, but after buying two series S for the house I also appreciate Microsoft’s approach because I can just pull the card out and go play in the spare room if the Mrs has stolen the tv.

The Xbox is sick though, love quick resume when its working properly, which is the majority of games but I’m playing a lot of halo infinite and it seems to bork that multiplayer. Overall, the size and silence of the Xbox…it just feels so much better design and thought out to me But I am a green rat.

overall it’s best to own everything and just enjoy all the positives of each option. There isn’t a bad console this time.

I really want Sony to add VRR though as I bought my console and TV with the expectation it was coming. How has it been more than a year and they aren’t getting shit from the press?

also OP, buy eneloops and the quick charger and it’s mega!

Last edited:
I really hope MS will release a new and improved "mid gen" Xbox Series Controller next year with better rumble, adaptive triggers, integrated battery etc. I think Major Nelson or Phil Spencer mentioned that they are looking into it or something. But I guess older titles would need to get patched.
Just try Eneloop akkus. They are cheap, last around 30 hours and are changed in 10 seconds or buy an akku pack if you like cables.

Also have a look at https://www.xbox-now.com/en/news
You can get 3rd parties dirt cheap and don't need several accounts for different countries. No matter where you buy, you can redeem the games to your account.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Well I already like my Series S more than my PS5, so I figure the X is even better since its the same but more powerful.

What I like more are the same reasons OP posts:

-silent, and I mean silent. Even under 120hz stress.
-Startup, it boots within 3 seconds to the dash from rest mode.
-CEC. It does what I want; I power on the Xbox and the TV powers on, goes to the correct HMDI. When I power the Xbox off, TV doesn't power off. I can't get this to work on PS5, I tried.
-Atmos, Vision, VRR. I have a recent LG OLED and an Atmos supported set, these features are a plus for me.
-BC support, GP, cloud gaming. I can play MG Rising, Dead Space, Ridge Racer on my Xbox. FH5 and Halo I didn't have to purchase just now.
-Quick resume. Its not perfect, Halo I have to quit anyway to matchmake. But in general it works (I used it a lot for Hades runs inbetween).
-Video calibration. This is small, but I don't have to close the game for it. I like that.

I am a Playstation gamer, which is why I pre ordered a PS5 and picked up 'only' an S in the meantime, but the PS5 does feel archaic. The cards are cumbersome, the library is a mess, lack of a certain next-gen TV feature etc. Its quite backwards.

PS5 still has its charm, I mean I'll likely be hooked to Horizon 2 and GT7 soon and the fact FFXVI is exclusive for it means I'm happy I have one. But MS does a lot of things right.

i really want a series x! was gonna get a PS5 because that's just what i always got...ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4...But not worth it imo. Xbox has more exclusives i'm interested in: halo, forza, flight sim, hellblade, starfield, elder scrolls. just wish it was in stock!! the series s is easily available but i want the best console i can get

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I have both consoles, and for similar reasons to OP I think Series X is the marginally better machine.

Games wise, we've seen enough Digital Foundry comparisons to know that there's bugger all in it.

Having the two not only covers both bases for exclusives but also gives you twice the storage, very handy! Welcome to the club.

mili2110

So I just re-tested startup times from standby/rest mode on both consoles. XSX is around 4-5 sec from pressing the button to being in the game. PS5 is really around 20sec. Maybe a lil faster if you have no game open in rest mode.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
get eneloops and never look back.
This - or the IKEA LADDA (2450 mah) for 7 bucks/euros which are the same thing ;)
Amazing batteries really...

Also : i always had PS's but i never understood the hard-on for rechargeable built-in batteries, for me, it takes less time to swap to a fresh pair that i have in the drawer than grab a micro USB cable to start charging the controller which literally has me tethered to the console due to the cable.

SkylineRKR

This - or the IKEA LADDA (2450 mah) for 7 bucks/euros which are the same thing ;)
Amazing batteries really...

Also : i always had PS's but i never understood the hard-on for rechargeable built-in batteries, for me, it takes less time to swap to a fresh pair that i have in the drawer than grab a micro USB cable to start charging the controller which literally has me tethered to the console due to the cable.

Well, not batteries per se but I do think detachable is better. Dual shocks will die. Ive had DS3's that barely charged anymore. They're probably dead now. My first DS4 from 2013 was kinda weak too last time I tried it which was about a year ago.

The only bad thing about the Xbox solution is that you have to buy the charge kit. But once you do, I feel it holds a better charge and you can detach it when you plan to store your console away. Plus, the cable you get with it is longer as well. I can play wired from my couch.

I cannot speak for OP but for me on the combo of Series X + gamepass has been -
  • The Ascent
  • Battletoads
  • Control (owned it before GP)
  • DOOM 1 & II (classic), DOOM 2016
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Ms Flight
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (brilliant campaign game)
  • Gang Beasts
  • Halo MCC (owned before GP)
  • Halo 5 (owned before GP)
  • Halo Infinite
  • It Takes Two (wonderful game to play with family/kids)
  • Exo One (good muck around with my son)
  • Checked out Hello Neighbour
  • Checked out Avengers (didn't like it)
  • No Man's Sky (kinda got stuck in a weird look bug and never played it again)
  • Various Rare games via BC e.g. Perfect Dark, Banjo
  • Prey (replay)
  • Sea of Thieves (owned before GP, still muck around with my son and his friends)
  • Slime Rancher (kids played it)
  • Subnautica (kids played it)
  • Will play the Medium (just haven't gotten around to it yet)
  • Will play The Riftbreaker (soon)
  • Tried the Outer Worlds (not a fan)
  • Wreckfest (cool pick up any old time title, checked with son for a laugh sometimes)
  • Wanting to play through the Yakuza series but slow to get started
  • Daughter and wife will play Among Us
  • Want to play Aliens: Fireteam Elite
  • Guacamelee 1 & 2, awesome awesome games.
  • Ori of course.
  • Son plays Ark with friends
  • Max: curse of the brotherhood (great family game, kids loved it)
  • Killer Instinct in parties (so fun to have spectators and who is fighting the winner next)
  • Wife and daughter love the Sims 4 (don't care to know how much they've spent on packs)
  • Checked out Gears 5 for the first act (not my thing, I hate the aiming)
  • Daughter and wife like Two Point Hospital
  • Tried some multiplayer on Halo Wars 2 with friends (and ran through the campaign once)
  • Tried FIFA 20 (not a big fan of the mechanics)
  • Golfing with Friends (pisser game in a party, falls apart with my kids a bit)
Shit I didn't mean to write that much out but Gamepass has been a wonderful gaming addition in our household, for my kids and with the XBL buds.
Nice list. Be sure to check out 12 minutes, Evil Genious 2, Alien Isolation and Yakuza 7.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Well, not batteries per se but I do think detachable is better. Dual shocks will die. Ive had DS3's that barely charged anymore. They're probably dead now. My first DS4 from 2013 was kinda weak too last time I tried it which was about a year ago.

The only bad thing about the Xbox solution is that you have to buy the charge kit. But once you do, I feel it holds a better charge and you can detach it when you plan to store your console away. Plus, the cable you get with it is longer as well. I can play wired from my couch.
Hey Skyline.

Agreed, my Dualshock 4 used to last about 7-7.5 hours of continuous playtime in the beginning and after a couple of years it dropped to about 4 meaning, i had to charge the thing almost every day (if not everyday ).

Regarding the xbox, you don't have to buy the charge kit brother, that's what i'm saying, you can just get a pair of IKEA LADDA's (7 bucks) which last about 30+hours of playtime plus the IKEA KVARTS fast charger for another 10-11 bucks and you're golden/good to go ;) That's half the price of the eneloop pro's + charger btw.

Cheers

Top Bottom