• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owner: I just bought a Xbox Series X - I'm very impressed

BlackTron

Also, and this is the only true negative in my whole experience - I am shocked to find that they aren’t just standard rechargeable controllers. It is fucking insane to me that I need a giant box of AA batteries in 2021. I was doing this for my Wavebird. I can’t believe I’m doing it now. Awful.

I still use 20 year old Wavebirds that work today on Switch. It would be a shame if the controllers were still mechanically viable but had proprietary or built-in batteries that wore out by now. Like, say, PS3 controllers.

Why would you want a part that is guaranteed to wear out in your controller when you could have the option of using any battery you choose? Get your own rechargeable pack, or use any rechargable AA battery that you could even get at a gas station instead of special batteries that you'll only be able to replace by ordering a special part from China.

The fact that the Elite Series 2 has its own battery is the deal breaker that will prevent me from buying one. Nothing elite about that.

TexMex

I still use 20 year old Wavebirds that work today on Switch. It would be a shame if the controllers were still mechanically viable but had proprietary or built-in batteries that wore out by now. Like, say, PS3 controllers.

Why would you want a part that is guaranteed to wear out in your controller when you could have the option of using any battery you choose? Get your own rechargeable pack, or use any rechargable AA battery that you could even get at a gas station instead of special batteries that you'll only be able to replace by ordering a special part from China.

The fact that the Elite Series 2 has its own battery is the deal breaker that will prevent me from buying one. Nothing elite about that.

Personal preference I guess. I’m not going to be using this controller in 20 years and would happily buy one a replacement over changing the batteries 100 times.

TexMex

The only reason you wouldn't be using the controller in 20 years is if you were forced to abandon it due to it not being compatible. My launch XBO controller still works fine and is still used today on my XSX.

The reason I won’t be using one in 20 years is because I love regularly upgrading to new iterations and there will be countless upgrades to Xbox in that time and this controller will be long gone by then. If it were compatible and still worked flawlessly, I’ll be using the newer model. But I’d love to learn more about myself and my gaming habits from you!

mili2110

OP, time to replay all those OG Xbox, 360 and X1 titles at 4K and 60 fps now.
Better than PS5 can offer you with PS4 titles.

im playing through Hallo MCC right now as I missed a couple of those. I think my last one was Halo Reach. Love the ability to switch between original and remaster graphics on the fly.

Ulysses 31

Don't even need that. MS makes a battery pack, and the X|S controllers are USB C.

17295610282014.jpg

I agree. That is the better option to me as well.
I disagree, I went through 2 of these, power started to run out in 2 hours after about a month of use. Enerloop batteries still going strong after a year so far.

Edit: that was during the One era, maybe the Series X|S version is greatly improved.

Last edited:

MikeM

It's not objective unless you use those features, faster load times on PS5, better exclusives, better third part deals, 3D audio, Haptic feedback, controller mic, nicer UI, game assist cards, soon-to-be discord implementation.

It's preference imo - i'm trying to get a series X for my LG C1 while my PS5 is attached to my PC monitor because of the features you stated but i can't find one :(
No arguments. PS5 is my go to for the reasons listed above in terms of games I spend $$$ on. But if you just look at the consoles themselves, MS has seriously upped their game and brought a seriously good console.
Hopefully you land the Series X soon!

First off, Eneloops are the way to go, always and forever. I did regular batteries and battery packs before finding them (ages ago) and they are the best option.

Also, don't forget about cloud gaming on the console. It really opens up a lot of new possibilities. I have been using it to try out games on GamePass to see if I like them enough to clear out space on my hdd for. Great way to instantly try out games. I wonder if they'll eventually allow some new games to demo like this, with a time/level limit.

Topher

Gold Member
I disagree, I went through 2 of these, power started to run out in 2 hours after about a month of use. Enerloop batteries still going strong after a year so far.

Edit: that was during the One era, maybe the Series X|S version is greatly improved.

The ones I have I bought for Xbox One and they work fine. If they only lasted 2 hours then I'd be pissed, but I think the ones you had were probably defective. I definitely don't see rechargeable AA as a bad option. I just prefer to plug controllers in and let them charge when I'm not using them.

JackMcGunns

Love how Xbox fanboys hang onto this like its a good thing. Imagine having to change batteries like some 20th century person.

Closed minded are we? I have a pair of 2800mAh batteries that each last several times longer than the PS5 controller built in battery and if that wasn't enough injury, lets add insult by having the extra pair swapped in seconds when needed as opposed to having to charge the whole damn controller. So I send it right back, imagine charging controllers like some 20th century person instead of swapping in freshly charged and longer lasting batteries lol.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I bought this one on release with the XSX and a few months in it just won't charge anymore not sure why, seemed to be a common issue on reddit at the time. Died just after the return period on amazon ended. Based on my experience I can't recommend it.
Dunno what the problem with these fuckers are, but mine stopped charging as well little over a month of use.
- 120Hz +4k output on all games (my LG C1 says so at least, which should reduce latency and input lag even on 30fps games!?)
Yep, the display setting is system wide like on a pc.
This of course doesn't mean the games themselves have to run at 120/uhd, but you are correct about reduced input lag everywhere.
Not sure if xbox really outputs/scales everything to 120Hz/4k, but internal resolution+fps definetly isnt that for majority for games. Input lag isnt even a thing anyways, maybe on some Street fighter kind of games but on non-competitive genres I have never heard that input lag is really a thing, unless there is some bug on the specific game.
This is complete nonsense.
TV's need to be in their native refresh rate to give the lowest amount of input lag.
If you have a 120hz TV and you set the console to 60hz, your tv will have noticeable input lag outside of "game mode".
Game mode reduces the input lag because it also turns off all the awesome image processing.
However at the native refresh rate of 120hz, the input lag will always be at the lowest possible, it's so low that you don't even need game mode anymore, so you get to enjoy games with all the bells and whistles of your TV's processing turned on.

BlackTron

Personal preference I guess. I’m not going to be using this controller in 20 years and would happily buy one a replacement over changing the batteries 100 times.
You don't have to change the batteries 100 times. Xbox design gives you the option to do that, or not. You are free to use any battery/charging solution of your choosing.

TexMex

You don't have to change the batteries 100 times. Xbox design gives you the option to do that, or not. You are free to use any battery/charging solution of your choosing.

Very clearly commenting on the controller that came with my new purchase.

TonyK

Your bad points seem to have more weight than the good ones. It's like a game review where the good point is "the cover is amazing" but "the gameplay is dull".

Said that, I want a Xboxsex at some point in the future, specially when the new acquired studios start releasing next gen games.

Love how Xbox fanboys hang onto this like its a good thing. Imagine having to change batteries like some 20th century person.
Liking options makes you a fanboy? Interesting. I thought defending a 6h built-in akku would do so.

My batteries last 30h and are changed in 10 seconds, but i also could use an akku if i would like to deal with cables. Options are good.

twilo99

PS. Oh and did I mention Game pass? I bought 3yrs for 80€ or so (thx to mydealz.de), which is like the price of one PS5 game over here.

That right there is your best purchase.

The x is indeed a very well designed machine. enjoy.

Bulding a PC that can compete with the series x for a similar price is absolutely impossible.

twilo99

I cannot speak for OP but for me on the combo of Series X + gamepass has been -
  • The Ascent
  • Battletoads
  • Control (owned it before GP)
  • DOOM 1 & II (classic), DOOM 2016
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Ms Flight
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (brilliant campaign game)
  • Gang Beasts
  • Halo MCC (owned before GP)
  • Halo 5 (owned before GP)
  • Halo Infinite
  • It Takes Two (wonderful game to play with family/kids)
  • Exo One (good muck around with my son)
  • Checked out Hello Neighbour
  • Checked out Avengers (didn't like it)
  • No Man's Sky (kinda got stuck in a weird look bug and never played it again)
  • Various Rare games via BC e.g. Perfect Dark, Banjo
  • Prey (replay)
  • Sea of Thieves (owned before GP, still muck around with my son and his friends)
  • Slime Rancher (kids played it)
  • Subnautica (kids played it)
  • Will play the Medium (just haven't gotten around to it yet)
  • Will play The Riftbreaker (soon)
  • Tried the Outer Worlds (not a fan)
  • Wreckfest (cool pick up any old time title, checked with son for a laugh sometimes)
  • Wanting to play through the Yakuza series but slow to get started
  • Daughter and wife will play Among Us
  • Want to play Aliens: Fireteam Elite
  • Guacamelee 1 & 2, awesome awesome games.
  • Ori of course.
  • Son plays Ark with friends
  • Max: curse of the brotherhood (great family game, kids loved it)
  • Killer Instinct in parties (so fun to have spectators and who is fighting the winner next)
  • Wife and daughter love the Sims 4 (don't care to know how much they've spent on packs)
  • Checked out Gears 5 for the first act (not my thing, I hate the aiming)
  • Daughter and wife like Two Point Hospital
  • Tried some multiplayer on Halo Wars 2 with friends (and ran through the campaign once)
  • Tried FIFA 20 (not a big fan of the mechanics)
  • Golfing with Friends (pisser game in a party, falls apart with my kids a bit)
Shit I didn't mean to write that much out but Gamepass has been a wonderful gaming addition in our household, for my kids and with the XBL buds.

That's a solid list.

gamepass is just silly when it comes to value.. I've been able to play/try more games in the past year than in the past 10 years combined when I was just using steam.

That's a solid list.

gamepass is just silly when it comes to value.. I've been able to play/try more games in the past year than in the past 10 years combined when I was just using steam.

It's nuts. I find myself, and some friends have commented the same, being selective about what I invest my money in but really happy to direct that investment at games I enjoy instead of wasting it on games I just want to trial and end up not liking. For example I got a Halo Infinite battlepass (I think AUD $60) as I'm liking the foundation I'm seeing and a big Halo fan. Upgraded the Gamepass version of Forza Horizon 5 as that game is just brilliant. Aside from Gamepass the battlepass for Apex Legends. Bought some smaller games like Ultimate Chicken Horse, The Ascent (love it) etc.

There's other games I forgot to include on the list e.g. Jackbox Party Games (two volumes), which have been big in our house too. Lots of fun as a family, more games should take advantage of coop with devices and console as a central hub etc.

BlackTron

OP, time to replay all those OG Xbox, 360 and X1 titles at 4K and 60 fps now.
Better than PS5 can offer you with PS4 titles.

I've always neglected Xbox pretty bad even when I had the original/360 when they were current. I feel like I'm taking on a gaming responsibility I can't handle with a console en route. Like all my excuses for letting that stuff go, no longer apply! I guess the procrastination paid off, I get to play all these games the right way the first time.

twilo99

It's nuts. I find myself, and some friends have commented the same, being selective about what I invest my money in but really happy to direct that investment at games I enjoy instead of wasting it on games I just want to trial and end up not liking. For example I got a Halo Infinite battlepass (I think AUD $60) as I'm liking the foundation I'm seeing and a big Halo fan. Upgraded the Gamepass version of Forza Horizon 5 as that game is just brilliant. Aside from Gamepass the battlepass for Apex Legends. Bought some smaller games like Ultimate Chicken Horse, The Ascent (love it) etc.

There's other games I forgot to include on the list e.g. Jackbox Party Games (two volumes), which have been big in our house too. Lots of fun as a family, more games should take advantage of coop with devices and console as a central hub etc.

Yeah, gg. I got the halo battlepass as well, great fun that game and I think they will keep updating with new content.

The ascent is absolutely stellar. Why did you have to buy it,, it came with gamepass no?

Yeah, gg. I got the halo battlepass as well, great fun that game and I think they will keep updating with new content.

The ascent is absolutely stellar. Why did you have to buy it,, it came with gamepass no?

Wanted to support the small team of devs.

Yeah, it's better. Some people might not have it and that id OK.

After a while it might sting with certain Japanese developed exclusives for PS5. Hope the multi platform path continues to make more sense.

S0ULZB0URNE

Congratulations OP it's a amazing machine with amazing games on the way.

This gen owning both current gen consoles is a must, like it was with the 360 and PS3.

TexMex

Probably a better place but figured I'd give it a shot here:

So I can't really use my Series X for anything right now because it keeps returning an error saying it can't detect my IP address.

Now it's worked fine the first few days I had it, and every other device in my house works fine. It'll even do a network speed test for me, and in advanced options even shows my IP address?

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve? Can't play any games at all right now as a result with no internet. Sucks.

twilo99

Just an FYI, you don't even need to do dev mode to get retroarch/emulation up and running. I just run it on retail mode.

Why do people keep saying the series s is a good emulation machine, can't the x to the same exact thing?

nbkicker

As a major playstation fan id have to admit without my xbox x this xmas would have been the worse yr for gaming ive ever had since i started gaming 30-40 years ago, my ps5 hasnt been switched on for a few months and there is no titles worth buying on it for xmas

Kagey K

Banned
As a major playstation fan id have to admit without my xbox x this xmas would have been the worse yr for gaming ive ever had since i started gaming 30-40 years ago, my ps5 hasnt been switched on for a few months and there is no titles worth buying on it for xmas
I guess this is where the idea 2020 is a shit year for gaming comes from.

I can say I've had something new to play every month all year and I look forward to more games coming soon.

Perception is everything.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I've got a PS5 on the way and I'm struggling with selling my series S... i can count the number of xbox games i want on half a hand, going into the future (i dunno, tes 6, stalker 2, starfield, two of those are huge maybes) ... but if i sell it i could scalp it a bit and get more than i bought it for... especially as I've two controllers and a charging stand...

Kagey K

Banned
I've got a PS5 on the way and I'm struggling with selling my series S... i can count the number of xbox games i want on half a hand, going into the future (i dunno, tes 6, stalker 2, starfield, two of those are huge maybes) ... but if i sell it i could scalp it a bit and get more than i bought it for... especially as I've two controllers and a charging stand...
If you were going to scalp it between now an Xmas is the time to do it. As long as they are scarce in your area.

Last edited:

Tschumi

If you were going to scalp it between now an Xmas is the time to do it. As long as they are scarce in your area.
riddle me this: did factory resetting my XSS a few weeks ago take away the partition i made (and messed up) for devkit retroarch?

Kagey K

Banned
riddle me this: did factory resetting my XSS a few weeks ago take away the partition i made (and messed up) for devkit retroarch?
Couldn't tell you, I haven't messed around with emulation at all. I know you didn't have to set it to dev kit mode. You could have jad it whitelisted and used an external instead.

But you need to go into the emulation thread for more detailed analysis.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Tbh as much as I hate Sony's Scrooge mc fucking duck attitude to nickle and diming gamers compared to MS, the controller is a marvel, I love the PS5 controller and genuinely think it adds immersion to some games as for boot up? Not sure what your on about there, my ps5 has booted up and ready to rock in what seems like seconds and makes not a single noise under load and I'm coming from a jet engine pro so I was extremely worried about noise

Tschumi

Couldn't tell you, I haven't messed around with emulation at all. I know you didn't have to set it to dev kit mode. You could have jad it whitelisted and used an external instead.

But you need to go into the emulation thread for more detailed analysis.
nah i've since done that, i'm just saying, is my hard drive stall partitioned, can you tell me where to check that on regular side.... er but i realise that i've typed more words askign this than i would have had to search it with google so jah bless :)

mili2110

If your ps5 is taking 20 seconds to start up its broken.

Can someone else test this? I shut the ps5 down with deathloop being open into rest mode. Started it up again by pressing the PS button on the controller and it took around 22sek to being back in the game. It takes around 12 seconds to even display a signal on the HDMI channel and another 10seconds to load the game again. With no game open it takes around the same time.

Top Bottom