• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owners- disc drive or no disc drive?

disc or digital only?

• PS5 Disc Edition

Votes: 425 76.2%
  • PS5 Digital Edition

Votes: 100 17.9%
  • Both

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • None

Votes: 22 3.9%

• Total voters

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
How would Sony be saving money by underbuilding the DE when they would be making more money on every digital game sold? Seems pretty obvious to me that the disc version was just more in demand.

How would Sony be saving money by underbuilding the DE when they would be making more money on every digital game sold? Seems pretty obvious to me that the disc version was just more in demand.

The extra $100 up front, and then still digital buyers will buy the digital versions of games. Since the optical drive costs $20, that's net $80 on every unit sold, times potentially millions of units.

Topher

Gold Member
The extra $100 up front, and then still digital buyers will buy the digital versions of games. Since the optical drive costs $20, that's net $80 on every unit sold, times potentially millions of units.

Right......Sony is selling DE at a larger loss which is subsidized by 100% digital sales which cuts out retail entirely. This isn't new. And looking at the stock history of nowinstock.net, it is obvious that the Digital Edition has been available and selling on a regular basis:

LostDonkey

I originally wanted the digital version bit I got a disk version in the end because that's all I could get my hands on. Got Ratchet with the bundle and that's probably the only disk I'll ever put in it.

Forsete

Disc version 4 lyfe yo.

I still have some PS4 games which I want to play. And the Bru-Ray mrovie prayback is a nice bonus, but I still havent given it a go (I dont own any 4K BD moviez yetz).
But, so far 100% of my PS5 games have been digital. :messenger_halo:

Esppiral

I just bought Horizon forbidden west for 59€ on Amazon instead of 79€ on the PSN z that should answer your question, and lol at those defending the digital PS5 edition those 100$ you saved are gonna cost you hundreds 😉

THE DUCK

Right......Sony is selling DE at a larger loss which is subsidized by 100% digital sales which cuts out retail entirely. This isn't new. And looking at the stock history of nowinstock.net, it is obvious that the Digital Edition has been available and selling on a regular basis:

Nobody said they sold zero digital units. It's the percentage of digital units that has been low. (even this thread suggests 80% vs 20%)
It's only subsidized by 100% digital sales as an advantage if the buyer wasn't going to do so already. So your point is completely moot.
Joe walks into a store, only buys digital games, has no choice but to buy disk version PS5 hardware. Sony nets $80 more. He's still going to buy all of his games digitally regardless of what machine he can buy. And this is likely half of all buyers at this point.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I just bought Horizon forbidden west for 59€ on Amazon instead of 79€ on the PSN z that should answer your question, and lol at those defending the digital PS5 edition those 100$ you saved are gonna cost you hundreds 😉
Unless you game share with a trusted person like I do with my brother and get games like Elden Ring for £25 and Horizon FW for £30.

Topher

Gold Member
Nobody said they sold zero digital units. It's the percentage of digital units that has been low. (even this thread suggests 80% vs 20%)
It's only subsidized by 100% digital sales as an advantage if the buyer wasn't going to do so already. So your point is completely moot.
Joe walks into a store, only buys digital games, has no choice but to buy disk version PS5 hardware. Sony nets $80 more. He's still going to buy all of his games digitally regardless of what machine he can buy. And this is likely half of all buyers at this point.

No, you said Sony was intentionally underbuilding the DE when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that. And you have nothing indicating the percentage of digital vs physical outside this poll. But where are these random scenarios that people are force to buy the disc version coming from?

Like this...

Yet the vast majority of buyers even in this very thread were faced with the opposite scenario, no choice but to buy the disk version.

This is an absurd statement. I'm looking through the posts and there are many more people choosing disc because that is what they wanted versus being forced to buy what is available. And even a couple who have said digital was the only option they had. So your take on all this is a bit bizarre honestly.

Leonidas

PS5 Digital Master Race.

The console itself looks better and I used only ~5 discs the entirety of the PS4 Gen.

PS5 digital game prices suck though. But I'm not lacking for games so I'll just get the exclusives when they inevitably go on sale.

THE DUCK

No, you said Sony was intentionally underbuilding the DE when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that. And you have nothing indicating the percentage of digital vs physical outside this poll. But where are these random scenarios that people are force to buy the disc version coming from?

Like this...

This is an absurd statement. I'm looking through the posts and there are many more people choosing disc because that is what they wanted versus being forced to buy what is available. And even a couple who have said digital was the only option they had. So your take on all this is a bit bizarre honestly.

Exactly what evidence could a person come up with to prove this? It's more than what was in the poll, it's the whole time every time there has been hardware drops there has been way more disk versions. There was one drop where best buy had like 30 to 1 ratio way back at the start. They seem to ramp up and build closer to a 10 or 20% ratio as time went on.

As far as people having the choice at stores:
So it's your assertion that we are over 60% of games sold are digital and yet you think the vast majority of buyers still want the disk version? That's the absurd arguement, not mine.

Topher

Gold Member
Exactly what evidence could a person come up with to prove this? It's more than what was in the poll, it's the whole time every time there has been hardware drops there has been way more disk versions. There was one drop where best buy had like 30 to 1 ratio way back at the start. They seem to ramp up and build closer to a 10 or 20% ratio as time went on.

You are right. There is no evidence. But here you are again making claims suggesting you know the ratios.

Edit:

Average ratio before launch was 25% digital. Your numbers were way off. Regardless, Sony made it clear they were targeting the actual demand for each model. Obviously they believe the disc version would be more in demand and since you referenced this very thread and poll, they were right.

As far as people having the choice at stores:
So it's your assertion that we are over 60% of games sold are digital and yet you think the vast majority of buyers still want the disk version? That's the absurd arguement, not mine.

No, the absurd argument was the false claims you made about this very thread. This nonsense that the "vast majority" here had "no choice but to buy the disk version". Entirely fictional argument.

The fact that more gamers overall are buying digital does not mean console gamers do not want the option for physical.

Either way.....

PlayStation 5 owners prefer boxed games to downloads​

"GSD also shares cumulative units sold for both digital and physical PS5 titles across the six-region sample.

By the end of August, around two million physical games had been sold for PS5 -- 51% higher than the total digital units sold in the first ten months.

This gap has increased over time. In December there was only a 26% difference, and by April this had grown to 36%.

Given the increasing shift to digital purchases across the industry, Naji offered four factors that may explain why PS5 owners prefer box games to downloads.

Firstly, the high price tag for new PS5 titles -- around $70 -- means consumers prefer to invest in a physical item. This is combined with his second point: that console owners like to build a physical library of games for their new device. Naji also pointed to the ability to sell and lend boxed games as a factor, before adding that download sales typically favour back catalogue titles. Since the PlayStation 5 is only a year old, there is not an extensive digital catalogue of past releases to choose from."

Last edited:

PUNKem733

With the horrror stories about digital titles, and how really you don't own them, and the corp can do whatever they want, disc all the way.

tommib

We don’t care. We wait for PSN sales or maybe the convenience of not having plastic garbage at home filling up space is worth the Starbucks cappuccino price. Discs are ugly and annoying. Wouldn’t trade the comfort of switching between GT7 and Elden Ring and Returnal at the tip of a button.

Esppiral

We don’t care. We wait for PSN sales or maybe the convenience of not having plastic garbage at home filling up space is worth the Starbucks cappuccino price. Discs are ugly and annoying. Wouldn’t trade the comfort of switching between GT7 and Elden Ring and Returnal at the tip of a button.
Do you realize that I can still buy games on PSN on sale right? Plus buying new releases physical 20€ cheaper right? Lol

Moses85

Car with or without

dog panting GIF

Digital - PC doesn’t have a disc drive anymore either and everything is streamed so no need for blu rays. Always buy digital so it makes sense.

You probably save money in new games buying the disc versions but then again I think games prices are pretty reasonable compared to everything else these days - Streetfighter 2 was £50 or so in 1992, so to pay £60 for games in 2022 seems pretty reasonable, when you compare house orices, car prices, fuel prices etc. You get way more time out of games these days too - so far I have bought Demons Souls, Valhalla and Elden Ring for PS5 - having got the first two on day one. I have completed Demons Souls and have nearly finished Valhalla with 120 hours logged.

THE DUCK

You are right. There is no evidence. But here you are again making claims suggesting you know the ratios.

Edit:

Average ratio before launch was 25% digital. Your numbers were way off. Regardless, Sony made it clear they were targeting the actual demand for each model. Obviously they believe the disc version would be more in demand and since you referenced this very thread and poll, they were right.

No, the absurd argument was the false claims you made about this very thread. This nonsense that the "vast majority" here had "no choice but to buy the disk version". Entirely fictional argument.

The fact that more gamers overall are buying digital does not mean console gamers do not want the option for physical.

Either way.....

PlayStation 5 owners prefer boxed games to downloads​

"GSD also shares cumulative units sold for both digital and physical PS5 titles across the six-region sample.

By the end of August, around two million physical games had been sold for PS5 -- 51% higher than the total digital units sold in the first ten months.

This gap has increased over time. In December there was only a 26% difference, and by April this had grown to 36%.

Given the increasing shift to digital purchases across the industry, Naji offered four factors that may explain why PS5 owners prefer box games to downloads.

Firstly, the high price tag for new PS5 titles -- around $70 -- means consumers prefer to invest in a physical item. This is combined with his second point: that console owners like to build a physical library of games for their new device. Naji also pointed to the ability to sell and lend boxed games as a factor, before adding that download sales typically favour back catalogue titles. Since the PlayStation 5 is only a year old, there is not an extensive digital catalogue of past releases to choose from."

Those are some seriously cherry picked numbers in an unknown region (says 43 countries, which ones exactly?)
Sony was know where near targeting the demand for each model, it's not even debatable. So your saying they were targeting 1% when the console launched? That's what was really on the street, go back and read thread after thread of people saying none in stores, none online, and selling out the digital version in 1 second vs a minute or 2 for the disc version.
I was searching for a digital for a friend, time after time came up with an available disk model but never a diskless version. It was like a unicorn. Again, not just my experience, people on this board said the same thing over and over. Things got better later on, but the ratio is still wacked.

You want me to believe that in a market where 60% of ALL GAMES are sold digitally, magically only 20% of PS5 prospective owners want a diskless version that costs less? Please. The odd person might choose to pay more for a disk version for the option of picking up a disk game, but frankly it's starting to matter less and less to most buyers.
But keep drinking the Kool aid, since in your eyes, no matter what, they can do no wrong.

THE DUCK

Because despite that fact that almost every other single person on this board says the disk version is easier to get, he wants to use your one example as "proof" that there are tons of digital models out there and nobody wants one. Yes, it's creative math time.

Topher

Gold Member
Those are some seriously cherry picked number....

Yeah....says the guy who has entirely fictional arguments, empty conjecture and no data at all?

Great Job Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite

But keep drinking the Kool aid, since in your eyes, no matter what, they can do no wrong.

So that's not me in the PS+ stacking thread calling out Sony for being stupid? Oh wait....yeah it is. You are batting .000.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Went with disc but am wishing I went discless. It sounds like it’s taking off with the disc in it. Most likely a lemon.

Do you realize that I can still buy games on PSN on sale right? Plus buying new releases physical 20€ cheaper right? Lol
A lot of us who bought the digital simply don't have any interest in using discs, don't you understand that? The convenience trumps the cost differential.

I could run around my house every night turning off all my appliances to save money on the standby consumption, but I don't. Because it's not convenient.

I could buy the disc console and run backwards and forwards swapping discs over every time I want to play a different game to save money, but I don't. Because it's not convenient.

I min-max my convenience, not my pennies. 👍

trikster40

Physical 100%, free upgrades to probably several disc games you have from PS4, and if there’s anything I’ve learned from games disappearing out of my download list, digital ain’t yours forever. You’re only purchasing a license to use it, and it can be taken away.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No reason to go digital. Its not an xbox situation where digital is significantly cheaper and easier to find. Digital PS5 is only $100 less and isnt easy to find, so may as well pony up the additional $$$ to have that option.

Boss Man

Disc version since physical game prices actually adjust to real market value and I can resell them. Also, somehow I got a PS5 that was manufactured in Japan (bought from Walmart.com).

I do typically end up switching to digital for games that I know I’ll return to frequently (Elden Ring, anything multiplayer) though. Digital is definitely more convenient, but you pay too much for it IMO.

Last edited:

Muay Ninja

Physical.

I buy most of my games digitally, but I would like the freedom to be able to play physically, maybe I'll borrow a game or buy one dirt cheap used or something to try it out.

Also, I can play my CD's, DVD's, Blu-Ray's etc on it also.

And if I ever decide to get rid later? It has a higher market value than digital.

Alphagear

Got the disc version simply because it enables me to return 60-70 pound games after playing them.

Usually get around 30-40 pounds return which I can use for a new game.

Not to forget I can always purchased pre owned games from stores or online.

Not the case with digital. You can't return and the prices are in Sonys hand.

PS4 disc games are dirty cheap too.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
I bought the disc version but only to play 4K movies.
Digital is the way you will be playing games on the PS6 so I don’t want a bunch of discs that are worthless on my new system! Times are a changing!

Physical...all the way Have a ton of ps4 games on disc (as well as digital, thanks ps+) , why would i give up my ability to play those games? Shit some of them even have ps5 upgrades like metro exodus, uncharted 4, etc..

Digital i could see being ok if you didn't own a ps4, but even still, those ps4 games are still good (shit i still play games going back to the 80s), and you can find a better deal with physical discs over the psn prices. Plus tons of used games you can't play on digital only.

What anoys me is that people forget about the used game scene, borrowing from a freind or the always online bs we raged about at the start of last gen. I am wondering if people that are pro digital are younger and don't have the attachment to older games. Same people who scoff at not playing in 4k, or playing 2d games.

Other reason... so glad I got phsyical for ps5. . I got dying light 2 a few weeks ago, hated it (its nothing like the first game or dead island, they gutted the crafting and the world feels like a theme park) , so I returned it and got gt7 instead and having way more fun. Couldn't do that with digital. I will only buy digital if the price is cheap or if I 100% already know I will love the game (ala Elden Ring). If ps5 had return period like steam, or multiple stores (like pc has with codes), maybe it would affect it, but still used games and cheaper prices are a thing.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yeah....says the guy who has entirely fictional arguments, empty conjecture and no data at all?

So that's not me in the PS+ stacking thread calling out Sony for being stupid? Oh wait....yeah it is. You are batting .000.
What’s amazing is that people are using the fact that someone couldn’t wait for a DE so they”settled “ for a disc version as a negative. Speaks to overall PS5 demand as far as I’m concerned.
On the other hand, the s was a “genius move” because people can buy it when they can’t get their hands on an x.
The disc versions add while the digital take away. In the s case, it removes specs, SSD space and a drive and the same games play at lower specs and are missing features.

Kupfer

Out of 405 valid console owners, 334 received a disc- and 71 received a digital edition.

100 votes later than the previous update, that's still a ratio of 82% to 18%.

Out of 50 consoles, 41 are disc- and 9 are digital editions.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I have plenty of data, you just choose to ignore it as anecdotal, even though it's clearly much more than that. You also completely ignore the digital market as a whole, which is super convenient for your weak argument.
Even this very thread backs up what I am saying, but you ignore that too. "Witty" pics just make you look silly - the go to crutch for those who can't convey anything in words and too weak of an argument so you overcompensate with insults a 5yo old could put together.

Oh wow, you must be totally anti Sony if you call them out for freezing PS+ stacking, wow, amazing. Wait, based on that, since I don't really care about if Sony freezes stacking, does that mean based on your logic, now I drink the Sony Kool Aide? I mean if you say one bad thing about Sony that means your not, so one good thing must mean the opposite, right? :messenger_winking:

Really though, for me, I like all types of Kool Aide, no need to limit my self to one flavor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom