• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owners- disc drive or no disc drive?

disc or digital only?

• PS5 Disc Edition

Votes: 425 76.2%
  • PS5 Digital Edition

Votes: 100 17.9%
  • Both

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • None

Votes: 22 3.9%

• Total voters
I rather not have any physical media anymore, but they leave me no choice since:

- new digital release: EUR 80,-
- new physical release: EUR 65,-

Yes, cutting out the middle man, the extra material (disc, case and printed cover) produced and the transport gives you around 15 to 20 EUR extra cost.

Wat?

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I have a disc version. Loud AF at times I tell you but 99% of the time it is silent.

I buy probably about 60 - 70% of my games physically now.

This will be the last generation I buy a console with a disc drive unfortunately. I don’t see much future in physical games sadly. I think we will see collectors editions go the way they are going now essentially. If you want all the physical crap then buy a nicer edition and you will get the game digitally. You can find vouchers online for a nice discount for digital games now, so hopefully Sony/MS don’t find a way to stop that. I love the physical games market but sadly it is going away slowly but surely. I wish I had kept all my sega, Nintendo, Playstion and Xbox consoles and games now, I would be pretty rich or have a dope collection, one or the other.

I got the disk version. The version that looks like it was bent after being rolled over by a Chevy Tahoe.
Any news on a redesign?

Hohenheim

I chose the digital version at release, but changed to the disc version after a few months, when I realized that games were quite a lot cheaper on disc.
The disc version had more coil wine, so I kinda regret it, especially now with the new ps+ premium, which means very few games will need to be purchased.

Hopefully a new version will be released at some point soon, and hopefully without the coil whine. Then i'll probably go digital again.

Do you walk to your LP player and change Vinyls to listen to another track of your liking, or do you simply select the track on your device and it streams off of Spotify? At the end its the same for disc less gaming. Has nothing to do with being a couch potato or lazy ... its universal convenience.
O come on, you are triggert about a joke? No serious, you are a couch potato.😉

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
rather not have any physical media anymore, but they leave me no choice since:

- new digital release: EUR 80,-
- new physical release: EUR 65,-

Yes, cutting out the middle man, the extra material (disc, case and printed cover) produced and the transport gives you around 15 to 20 EUR extra cost.

Wat?
Game share with my brother; £25 for Horizon FW day one digital

R.51d2f43914b23ea77b773868fbc131ea

Krathoon

Always get the disc version. Downloading is not that fast and it does not have allot of disc space.
It is also always good to have a hard copy.

Sony adopted the SSDs when there really was not much space. Did they add support for external drives?

Last edited:

MP!

for me
The physical games I had for ps4 were so few that I could live without the compatibility (Half my physical games I now own on switch anyway... and there were a couple that I actually downloaded digitally once they were on sale so I didn't have to bother putting a dic in (also the PS4 had beeping issues and would sipt out discs randomly so I just stopped buying physically))
I admit going into a pawn shop and finding a ps4 game that I could pop into my ps5 would be a treat...
BUT since PS is not my primary way to play... and all the games I care about I own digitally anyway... It wasn't a very hard choice to go with the cheaper PS5 model.

David B

An Idiot
Well it's odd but disc is winning big time in votes. But anyway I love the digital PS5 and own one of course. I just don't have room for discs and cases anymore at all, I'm at an extreme to fill up my place and can't find anymore room, so the future is all digital for me.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm finding there is the odd sale that's physical only but for the most part if it's on sale on physical it's on sale on digital. Also digital sometimes has sales that aren't matched on physical.

Hestar69

Physical....I had a series s only for a while,now a series X and ps5 disc and the deals you can find on games are SO much better than digital..

For example,Kingdom hearts all in one 30 amazon...its "on sale" digitally for 70...

Yeah,fuck that..Until devs learn to have actually good deals digitally always go physical.

Pidull

Even if you prefer digital only games, never handicap yourself with a digital only console. While thers an option, always go to the one that offers physical discs.

Practical example. The only way to play The Last Guardian at 60 FPS, is using a physical disk on PS5 without installing the day 1 patch. The digital version of the game is locked at 30fps.
Unfortunately there are 2 or 3 points in The Last Guardian that crash on PS5 without the patch, and the final part of the game is unbeatable because a near-instant death mechanic updates with the frame rate, so at 60 FPS you don't have enough time to avoid it and will die. Every time.

Sorta annoying to install the patch and experience the terrible input lag (60 FPS makes the controls bearable), then uninstall the entire game, go offline, and reinstall via disc.

melekind

Neophyte
Both.
I mean, if you want to use the disc one day, it'll be ok when you have the drive, or you'll be sucked 'cause you have no one.
And I have a lot of PS4 discs.

Garibaldi

Digital. I've got plenty disposable income so paying a little more for the convenience of not having to store a load of boxes somewhere and go get them, load them etc is great for me.

Gave my old PS4 pro and all disc games to my nieces. Saves a nice chunk of room I can utilise for something.

Saying that, I've got loads of Blu-rays and 4Ks so it's not like I'm against physical media. Just don't see the point when the digital version is exactly the same. Bar the initial buy in price, which I can largely mitigate by buying high value PSN cards for discount.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I got the disk version just for the flexibility, but I bet I rarely use the drive.

It’s there if I ever want to though.

Top Bottom