• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owners who expanded the internal SSD: how big do I need to go? Share you experiences

Camaway2

I finally managed to get hold of a PS5 directly from Sony and I am planning to expand the internal M2 SSD off the bat. These bad boys are pricey!
Do you think 1TB is enough or would I regret it? I know that bigger is better but I also need to factor spending that much cash just after I forked out for the PS5 (disk edition).

Also do I understand it right that PS4 games can be run off an external HD? I already have most of my PS4 games installed on an external HD. Would they be recognized by the PS5 or would I need to reformat it and install them again?

Thank you guys in advance for any tip!

Get a 1TB, which are a lot more affordable now than they were last year relative to 2TB, and put all your PS4 games on an external HDD (ideally a SATA SSD, but whatever). They'll all work and if you have an existing drive you can just connect it up with whatever games are on it. You might need to go to settings and add it if it's not recognised but you won't need to put all your existing games on it again.

Last edited:
I went with 2TB. Keep in mind if you don't already, you should have a usb 3.0 drive for ps4 games and moving ps5 games back and forth. I believe my usb drive is 4TB.

Camaway2

Get a 1TB, which are a lot more affordable now than they were last year relative to 2TB, and put all your PS4 games on an external HDD (ideally a SATA SSD, but whatever). They'll all work and if you have an existing drive you can just connect it up with whatever games are on it. You might need to go to settings and add it if it's not recognised but you won't need to put all your existing games on it again.

That was my thinking. I can see the Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB for €149. That I could see myself paying.

theHFIC

I have a 2 TB internal (Crucial) with my own heat sink and an external 1 TB NVME SSD for PS4 games. I keep and use my old consoles though so I don't have every game loaded on the PS4 drive, just ones that I play regularly enough to not have to switch.

Camaway2

I went with 2TB. Keep in mind if you don't already, you should have a usb 3.0 drive for ps4 games and moving ps5 games back and forth. I believe my usb drive is 4TB.
So I can also store PS5 games I am not actively pllaying there? That would be a dealbreaker

SkylineRKR

1TB + an T5 or T7 external is my advice.

My setup is 1TB WD Black, with a Samsung T7 external at the back. The PS4 downloads default to the T7, and they run at the same loading speed as on internal storage.

1TB M.2 is really 1TB. Its not 800gb or something. So you get approx 1.7tb in total for only PS5 apps. This is about identical to a PS4 with 2TB internal which topped off at that size as well.

I'd say its enough, based on my PS4 experiences. On top of that lots of PS5 games are somewhat smaller in size. There are still some outliers, but I don't keep every single game on there anyway. You should be able to store some 30 PS5 games average on 1.7tb. There are GT5's closing in on 100gb, but also RE Village and Control being not even 30gb.

Last edited:

Crayon

Depends largely on how many permanent resident games you want to keep on there. Usually, multiplayer stuff or podcast/grindfest stuff. Like once gran turismo came out, there was a significant chunk of my drive. Once street fighter and Tekken come out, I'm more or less tapped out so I got ahead of it and bought a 1t a few weeks ago.

Otherwise, I have a USB hdd for the PS4 games, so my total available storage at this point is quite high. I'm using half of that total and I have a lot of games installed.

Some people like to have a huge amount of games installed, though. I suppose for the reassurance that they won't have to wait a few minutes if they ever decide to play them.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I havent expanded it yet, but by how it is to fill the internal drive, I would say go for 2tb

I went with 2 TB but at the moment it's overkill considering that PS5 games are a lot smaller in size than the same PS4 games. Let's not forget that you have 600-700 GB of internal storage too.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It depends. I have an external 500GB SSD for PS4 games and an internal 1TB M.2 and I still have ~800GB free on it - and there's lots of games I've platinumed I haven't deleted yet, so for the rest of this generation I'm perfectly fine with a 1TB.

saintjules

I had gotten the 2TB Samsung 980 Pro. That should be quite enough for most of your immediate needs.

I'm set for the generation as I also have a T7 and a WD Passport I used for the PS4.

jaysius

Banned
Learn that you don't need 20+games at all times, that you really only need ones that you intend to play. Change your mindset, nobody needs a full backlog on any machine at one time, it's a waste of space.

Buying more space is a waste of money.

tommib

I got an internal 512 and another external SSD for PS4 games. So, 1,7 in total, take it or leave it. They’re all quite full:

NKg2ebB.png
NzdGU3q.png
kZqac4G.png

Esca

I bought a 1tb and I have a 500gig external.
I have like 55 games installed and still have a fair amount of space. You shouldn't need anything more than that.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I bought a 1tb and I have a 500gig external.
I have like 55 games installed and still have a fair amount of space. You shouldn't need anything more than that.
With the newer PS+, you need a lot more space if you intend of playing games you're allowed to. It's not only games you bought anymore.

I finally managed to get hold of a PS5 directly from Sony and I am planning to expand the internal M2 SSD off the bat. These bad boys are pricey!
Do you think 1TB is enough or would I regret it? I know that bigger is better but I also need to factor spending that much cash just after I forked out for the PS5 (disk edition).

Also do I understand it right that PS4 games can be run off an external HD? I already have most of my PS4 games installed on an external HD. Would they be recognized by the PS5 or would I need to reformat it and install them again?

Thank you guys in advance for any tip!
Unless you are some sort of person who needs to have every single game at the helm and ready to boot up at any minute, truthfully you don’t need to expand. The only other reason you would need to is if you have really low data caps. Otherwise, I personally think it’s a waste of money.

tommib

Unless you are some sort of person who needs to have every single game at the helm and ready to boot up at any minute, truthfully you don’t need to expand. The only other reason you would need to is if you have really low data caps. Otherwise, I personally think it’s a waste of money.
It is but it’s also cool to be able to switch between games whenever you want. I have a digital PS5 so switching games with a couple of taps is cool and convenient.

It’s also the reason why I have an ADHD backlog. A smaller drive will probably bring more focus to your gaming habits. If I’m honest, I could delete all games and just keep GT7 and would be fine and happy.

WoodyStare

I’d go with a 2TB. They’ve been going on sale a lot lately and at fair prices ($199-$249), and they aren’t that much more expensive than the 1TB when those are on sale as well. The internal SSD fills up very quickly at around 670GB, another 1TB wouldn’t make too much of a difference. The 2TB is a nice balance of capacity and price.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wouldn't bother with more than 1tb but I only play exclusives and there aren't many.

1tb extra that is. I've found that more than enough.

Last edited:

Esca

With the newer PS+, you need a lot more space if you intend of playing games you're allowed to. It's not only games you bought anymore.
I have the highest tier, I know. This is with many of those games downloaded. You don't need this many games installed. My ps5 is used by the entire house and everyone has games on it they want installed. Believe me we are lazy to without cleaning out the drive of games but to often.

50PlusGamer

Neo Member
Learn that you don't need 20+games at all times, that you really only need ones that you intend to play. Change your mindset, nobody needs a full backlog on any machine at one time, it's a waste of space.

Buying more space is a waste of money.

I've never had to delete anything off my console because I had too MUCH space. I have had to delete because I ran out of space.

Simple answer to the OP is buy the biggest to can afford.

jaysius

Banned
What in the hell are you on about?!?! IF the game leaves PS+ you don't lose access if you redeemed it in the month it was being given out. Also if you're talking about the other higher tiers of PS+ if a game leaves the higher tiers and you haven't bought it you just lose access even if it is on your harddrive.

Jesus christ I didn't know we had these type of people here.

Max_Po

Banned
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠿⠛⠛⠛⠋⠉⠈⠉⠉⠉⠉⠛⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠋⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⡏⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣤⣤⣤⣄⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⢿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⢏⣴⣿⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣟⣾⣿⡟⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⢢⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣟⠀⡴⠄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿
⣿⣿⣿⠟⠻⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠶⢴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿
⣿⣁⡀⠀⠀⢰⢠⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⠀⣴⣶⣿⡄⣿
⣿⡋⠀⠀⠀⠎⢸⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠗⢘⣿⣟⠛⠿⣼
⣿⣿⠋⢀⡌⢰⣿⡿⢿⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⢀⣼
⣿⣿⣷⢻⠄⠘⠛⠋⠛⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢿⣧⠈⠉⠙⠛⠋⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣧⠀⠈⢸⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠟⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⢃⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⡿⠀⠴⢗⣠⣤⣴⡶⠶⠖⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⡸⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⡀⢠⣾⣿⠏⠀⠠⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠉⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣧⠈⢹⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣰⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⠈⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣠⣴⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣠⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⣄⣀⣀⣀⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⡄⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⠀⠀⠙⣿⣿⡟⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠇⠀⠁⠀⠀⠹⣿⠃⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠛⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢐⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠛⠉⠉⠁⠀⢻⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠈⣿⣿⡿⠉⠛⠛⠛⠉⠉
⣿⡿⠋⠁⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⡴⣸⣿⣇⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡿⠄⠙⠛⠀⣀⣠⣤⣤⠄

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
What in the hell are you on about?!?! IF the game leaves PS+ you don't lose access if you redeemed it in the month it was being given out. Also if you're talking about the other higher tiers of PS+ if a game leaves the higher tiers and you haven't bought it you just lose access even if it is on your harddrive.

Jesus christ I didn't know we had these type of people here.
What the hell are YOU talking about? PS+ Deluxe and Premium Game Catalog wasn't a thing before June of this year, of course you need more storage if you can download more games for free.

jaysius

Banned
What the hell are YOU talking about? PS+ Deluxe and Premium Game Catalog wasn't a thing before June of this year, of course you need more storage if you can download more games for free.
If you can't play said games in the time span that they're on that service then you're wasting your time.

R6Rider

Gold Member
This topic has convinced me to finally get an SSD external.

I've heard the T5/T7 are good choices, any other recommended options?

I'll probably go 1TB as I don't keep too much installed anyway, but depends on prices obviously.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
It's a user issue, you don't need games on your machine that you're not playing any time soon.
That defeats then entire purpose of having an extra SSD then. Just play one game at the time and download each game everytime. See, it's a user issue.

2TB and higher, otherwise get used to uninstalling/reinstalling on your local drive. 1TB drives don't add enough to make it worth the hassle/expense, IMO.

lachesis

I only play single player games that I don't really re-visit them after finishing it to my heart's content.
On top of that, I only play 1 game at a time.... at most 2. So, I don't think I will upgrade my SSD at all.

Top Bottom