• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This is actually quite true, lmao.

Well of course, that persons twitter trends will lean towards American users and tweets if that's what he is browsing.

-

There have already been articles just hours after the price announcement about Japanese gamers also not liking it. Just because we don't consume media from other countries as much as US media, doesn't mean people there are ok with it.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I refuse to buy a "aaa" bundle for 100€ more.

I'll wait for the DE 450.

ATT I'm cleaning my PRO. Could hold me over till a revision comes. GT7 is playable and DES can wait after ER.

Glad I'm older and don't need the newest toy stat.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I refuse to buy a "aaa" bundle for 100€ more.

I'll wait for the DE 450.

ATT I'm cleaning my PRO. Could hold me over till a revision comes. GT7 is playable and DES can wait after ER.

Glad I'm older and don't need the newest toy stat.
You never know. It's already almost two years into next gen.

The longer you wait it out, you get closer to a possible mid gen refresh like last gen which was PS4 Pro after 3 years and One X at year 4.

Even if no mid gen system comes out, there's the possibility of a storage boost like every gen where new models come out with double the storage.

Last edited:
Even if no mid gen system comes out, there's the possibility of a storage boost like every gen where new models come out with double the storage.

Double storage to me seems like the more likely outcome compared to a console price cut.

Now it may end up being cancelled but I do think there are "mid gen" consoles at higher prices being planned. The way things are going it's going to be a very, very long time before another console generation.

Infamy v1

I don't think Jim Ryan gives a shit.

7780454_original.jpg

Corndog

Banned
Nintendo is just using it's marketing team to position their product in a space where it will sell more. How is the Switch any different with PSP 2000/3000 PSPGo? Al of those had tv out, dock, bluetooth connection with dualshock 3 etc...
How is the new pokemon any different from the older ones in any scope etc....
Before it came out I believe Nintendo talked about going from 2 platforms to 1 to cut costs and simplify development. It’s not just marketing.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You never know. It's already almost two years into next gen.

The longer you wait it out, you get closer to a possible mid gen refresh like last gen which was PS4 Pro after 3 years and One X at year 4.

Yeah that's that I'm hoping for

Banjo64

cumsessed
Surely this economic situation has effected their entire manufacturing process so;

£100 Dualsense
£200 Pulse Headset
£50 charging dock
£80 physical games (for shipping in those plastic cases dawg)

When?

Kagey K

Banned
I guess I shouldn't be shocked that the company that recently raised the prices of their 1st party games, launched a "premium" version of PS+ with a laughably bad classics section(where the hell is Legend of Dragoon, you greedy fucks) has decided to raise their console price.
I'm more shocked at all the people willing to defend them for it.

I really think this fledgling corporation needs a kickstarter or a gofundme.

They would never survive otherwise.

Last edited:

John Wick

Lmfao! Where are all those Jimbo Ryan fans?
PS4 wasn't successful because of Jim. It was those that came before and set the path. Why are you all crying now? This is Jimbo's work. Please enjoy!

Arioco

This is why even Playstation users should wish the best of lucks to XBOX. In the markets where there's some competition from MS SONY didn't dare increase the price of PS5, but in those they totally dominate... you see what happens.

So as a PS5 user myself... GO XBOX!

PS360 generation was great, 360 sold very well in pretty much every market except for Japan and that made SONY give us the best they has.

By offering more value for the extra cost.

I mean the HFW bundle was a quiet price raise and you didn't see many ppl pissed off about it.
Raising the price will improve the availability. How isn't that a positive? It prices all those out who aren't willing to pay +50€, so you don't have to compete with those any longer when looking for a PS5. It's probably still too cheap for demand to match supply though.

adamsapple

Lmfao! Where are all those Jimbo Ryan fans?
PS4 wasn't successful because of Jim. It was those that came before and set the path. Why are you all crying now? This is Jimbo's work. Please enjoy!

Jim is very meme-able but I don't know if he is solely responsible for the price increase.

He is, however, responsible for the very tone deaf messaging blogs he puts out.

Topher

Gold Member
Jim is very meme-able but I don't know if he is solely responsible for the price increase.

He is, however, responsible for the very tone deaf messaging blogs he puts out.

Jim Ryan is President and CEO so this is on him. He's got a long list of stupid actions, most of which folks could just roll their eyes at and say "that's just Jim being Jim", but this is incompetence, imo. I used to scoff at the Dan Mattrick comparisons as the stupidity never reached those levels, but I Infamy v1 's image above is proving to be accurate....

I mean......the guy has Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping wearing a green hat now. That alone is cause for termination.

Last edited:
Jim Ryan is President and CEO so this is on him. He's got a long of stupid actions, most of which folks could just roll their eyes at and say "that's just Jim being Jim", but this is incompetence, imo. I used to scoff at the Dan Mattrick comparisons as the stupidity never reached those levels, but I Infamy v1 's image above is proving to be accurate....

I mean......the guy has Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping wearing a green hat now. That alone is cause for termination.

Fuck Jim Ryan

Xbox is bestbox

It was not good for Sony to raise prices in some areas. I'm defending xbox now. Microsoft is taking much more player-friendly steps this generation. Sony playstation boss Jim Ryan reminds me of the visionless person like Don Mattrick, the former boss of Xbox. But although this generation is now Microsoft's player-friendly steps are very good. Sony games will continue to produce high-quality and award-winning games from every generation. I hope this generation Microsoft starts releasing very high quality games. But it's also a fact! Sony is well prepared for the new generation. But I predict that Starfield will be the best game of 2023. I hope that Microsoft will release games in this new generation of games of close quality to Sony games.

adamsapple

And Thats why I decided to take apart and clean up my Pro. Holy moly the dust.. so compact I could form a ball of it lol.

But I fucked up 1 thing. Just posted an update in my thread

My Pro is in its 6th year and while it is loud as fuck, I'm too afraid to break it to try and open it lol.

I've made my peace with it and just use headphones when playing on consoles anyway.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My Pro is in its 6th year and while it is loud as fuck, I'm too afraid to break it to try and open it lol.

I've made my peace with it and just use headphones when playing on consoles anyway.

I took the gamble and fucked up. Took months to say fuck it let's do it..

Thread 'Anybody Cleaned their PS4PRO, and did it help noise wise?' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/anybody-cleaned-their-ps4pro-and-did-it-help-noise-wise.1640156/

Scroll down and you'll see where I made a mistake.. Sigh.

Btw I use headphones as well but i approached it as a project smh

Last edited:

GHG

It was not good for Sony to raise prices in some areas. I'm defending xbox now. Microsoft is taking much more player-friendly steps this generation. Sony playstation boss Jim Ryan reminds me of the visionless person like Don Mattrick, the former boss of Xbox. But although this generation is now Microsoft's player-friendly steps are very good. Sony games will continue to produce high-quality and award-winning games from every generation. I hope this generation Microsoft starts releasing very high quality games. But it's also a fact! Sony is well prepared for the new generation. But I predict that Starfield will be the best game of 2023. I hope that Microsoft will release games in this new generation of games of close quality to Sony games.

Whose bot is this?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For a company at record profit, their game division at record profit, and gamers as a whole like to buy stuff as cheap as possible looking for deals (ie. hate Gamestop high prices), its truly amazing people defend this. Along with all the other nickel and diming Sony does last bunch of years. While Nintendo and MS have been steady.

adamsapple

Jim Ryan is President and CEO so this is on him. He's got a long of stupid actions, most of which folks could just roll their eyes at and say "that's just Jim being Jim", but this is incompetence, imo. I used to scoff at the Dan Mattrick comparisons as the stupidity never reached those levels, but I Infamy v1 's image above is proving to be accurate....

FbQo-v0XwAICVkj

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

For a company at record profit, their game division at record profit, and gamers as a whole like to buy stuff as cheap as possible looking for deals (ie. hate Gamestop high prices), its truly amazing people defend this. Along with all the other nickel and diming Sony does last bunch of years. While Nintendo and MS have been steady.
I agree that the nickel and dime stuff is rough on us gamers, but in the wider picture Sony is competing against Samsung, Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook and Microsoft, who could probably all afford to buy them and would consider it if it wasn't for the protection afforded by them being an important Japanese company.

It isn't good for us, but do they not need to be worth at least enough to be out of reach of being acquired, to be on a level footing with their competition? And if so, isn't this the type of action they need to take on their hot products to get there - just like Apple did in the past?

Neo_game

A lot of what you have mentioned is not expensive. Ms designed it the way they designed it and Sony designed their pcb the way they did. There's no real difference there. It's costs come down to actual chips. So memory chips cost what it costs. They just solder components onto two pcbs which are connected by a ribbon cable.

Ssd is all of the shelf stuff. Sonys is custom designed.

The most money will be lost in the size and weight and shipping costs in the current climate.

BOM on the console will be pretty close I think.

Both companies made compromise with memory as Microsoft original plan was to go with 20GB unified memory setup and Sony wanted a faster ram of 16gb/sec so they had to cut down on that. But everything else apart from PSU is expensive on SX as far as hardware is concerned. Microsoft is probably making loss with SS as well but since it chip is 45% smaller, no disk drive half the SSD size, smaller ram they can make twice as many SS than SX. I guess that is what they are doing.

zedinen

Yoshida (CEO) and Totoki (CFO) are behind this.

Their compensation is linked to both stock price (74% and 72%) and business results.

In order to maximize their own compensation, they divert PS cash flows , that should go to high profile acquisitions, to buyback programs and underperforming segments.

PlayStation operating income has dropped by 30%, Sony stock price took a nosedive, and they realized that SIE is selling PS5 well below its market value ...

Straight from the horse's mouth (Sony Corporate Report)

QgdamW5.jpg

iKDHHKW.jpg

5NXOZkm.jpg

1hNct0x.jpg

Sony Group is the biggest threat to PlayStation. The problem lies in Tokyo.

Invested Capital:

Music 1,110
Pictures 955
I&SS 889
Game 561
ET&S 524

q7S3Eht.jpeg

Celine

Game Gear/Sega CD, Neo Geo Pocket, Turbo Duo.

But of course, they aren't as broad as Sony since they sell in a lot more countries than any of these consoles ever had.
Can you cite the specific cases, I'm curious.
When, where and how much amounted the increase from the official MSRP (the trade price)?

Last edited:

yurinka

PlayStation operating income has dropped by 30%, Sony stock price took a nosedive, and they realized that SIE is selling PS5 well below its market value ...

q7S3Eht.jpeg
Yes, their ROI goes down in SIE FY22 because in FY22 they have big acquisition costs from Bungie, Haven and more to come etc. Acquisitions are long term investments that fuck the ROI of that year but (normally) pay off in the long term. In FY21 they did spend way less in closing and paying acquisitions. It's something normal, doesn't mean Sony is dommed, that there is an internal tin foil conspiracy or something like that. Some years their biggest acquisitions are in a division and other years are in another. That's all.

Same goes with the console price increase. The causes are that the costs of making it skyrocketed in recent months way above that 10% increase and pretty likely due to inflation and fuel pricing will continue doing it in the next ones. Not only the components they buy for the console get more expensive for them, but also the shipments costs rise due to the fuel pricing, plus also the dollar highly increased their value fucking them as Japanese company with USA as their top 1 country and the overall inflation from anywhere also skyrocketing everywhere.

They already were selling the console at a loss, so now with all these recent changes not controlled by Sony the loss will be way higher even with the price increase. It is not due to a tin foil conspiracy of supposedly evil and greedy executives. Many other electronic products like Quest 2, PC GPUs, phones, etc (specially those not overpriced, the ones being sold at a generous profit) also rised their prices.

Same with game prices. Adjusted with inflation, game prices from all generations since the eight bit were priced when adjusted with inflation way over $100, while they were developed badk then with way smaller budgets. The AAA of today cost hundreds of millions to be developed and marketed, while in the '80s and '90s did cost under a million or a handful millions, they were made by a few guys in months, sometimes a bit over a year. Now they need like 4-6 years in most cases (sometimes more) and involve over a thousand (and sometimes over 2000) people.

And that was at the end of the previous generation or early games using basically previous gen engines, workflow etc. True next gen AAA games will be even way more expensive. So publishers (not only Sony) decided to increase the pricing for theit next gen console (not only in PS, also in Xbox) games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom