• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 & PS4 Dominate Ubisoft Sales; Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Generates Second-Highest Profit Ever for Ubi

tusharngf

Valhalla ohh nooo

giphy-downsized-large.gif

hlm666

higher on pc that i thought, they did there best to make sure PC gamers wheren't going to buy there game.

Terrible optimisation, crashes on there dlc like no tommorow.
Exactly, their recent games have been running sub optimally on the brand of gpu with like 89% market share. Another thing is I wonder if the ubisoft subscription service has had a negative effect on pc revenue. I subbed for 1 month to play far cry 6, played it for a few days got bored uninstalled then looked at valhalla, played for 2 or 3 hours and uninstalled and then had a look at a few other things over the next few weeks. Now I may have actually bought far cry 6 at release, the 1 month sub was 20% of what it cost in my region for the base game so that's an interesting metric to think about. Filling their shit with a million icons to complete isn't gonna make many people keep subbed.

yurinka

Playstation is at 37%, PC at 20% and Xbox at 19%.

Jim continues to carry the industry on his shoulders 🥲
No news here, when we see these numbers from multiplatform AAA publishers or games traditionally PS always has the biggest market share.

Where is Phil Spencer to tell me that Gamepass is making people buy games?
As I remember they didn't say that. I bet they said that on average their GP users bought more games than the users without GP.

Because there are some players inactive who don't play the console and don't buy games anymore. There are players who are active and only buy a couple of games per year: the average gamer. And then a small subset of gamers who are active and buy many games per year. That last group would be the one who pretty likely are interested on GP because they already spend a lot of time and money on games so GP makes sense for them.

According to my theory people who get subs like GP already were buying more games than the average. It isn't the service what makes them buy more games. In fact I think that if the service offers them a lot of interesting games to play they'll buy less games than the ones they bought before having the service.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
No news here, when we see these numbers from multiplatform AAA publishers or games traditionally PS always has the biggest market share.
Do you have updated numbers for other publishers? I was surprised it was so high because Microsoft always gets marketing rights for Ubisoft.

Valhalla was also the go-to game on Series X, it really looks phenomenal on next-gen (the game is good, people here are way too harsh).

yurinka

Do you have updated numbers for other publishers? I was surprised it was so high because Microsoft always gets marketing rights for Ubisoft.
I don't have them updated as of today. From time to time they reveal them. As I remember Epic revealed the Fortnite ones during their trial vs Apple, and some other publishers reveal them in their quarterly or yearly fiscal reports. Regarding the marketing rights it depends on the game. Sometimes MS gets them, sometimes Sony gets them. And sometimes there aren't marketing rights so both platform holders market the game.

On top on that, consider that even if MS has the marketing rights of a game who get decent ports on all consoles, PS4+PS5 has like 2X the userbase of XBO+Series so it would make sense to get higher sales on PS.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Hm I think it will just increase on the Sony side and decrease on the Xbox side because Xbox will become a pure game pass console where software won’t sell anymore
i have been saying this.
And some people said that "well its just physical sales chart"

...no, majority of people will not buy games physical or digital as long the game is available on gamepass.

Kagey K

Banned

Ozriel

M$FT
Where is Phil Spencer to tell me that Gamepass is making people buy games? If Xbox users get entitled to the subscription service and not buy any games then MS will take a big hit because they lose out on the 30% cut from third party publishers and worse it makes it easier for Sony to arrange timed exclusive possibly even full exclusive exclusive because Xbox users don’t buy games

console warrior: “The PS4 outsold the Xbox One by over 2:1. Hehe. Also, the PS5 is outselling Xbox Series”

also console warrior: “ Ubisoft game selling more on PlayStation than Xbox is clearly because Xbox gamers don’t buy games, hehe”

Estimated 129million PlayStation consoles (116m PS4 + 13.3m PS5 consoles) out there, vs possibly 58 million total Xbox consoles (50m XB1, 8m Xbox Series). Why the fuck do you expect sales parity, or anything close to that?

Between this and your posts wailing about textures in Forza Horizon 5, you haven’t exactly covered yourself in glory. Do better. Be better.

Last edited:

Paasei

Been playing it myself again after a while. Gameplay is fun. Far from the best but good enough to keep me going.

reksveks

console warrior: “The PS4 outsold the Xbox One by over 2:1. Hehe. Also, the PS5 is outselling Xbox Series”

also console warrior: “ Ubisoft game selling more on PlayStation than Xbox is clearly because Xbox gamers don’t buy games, hehe”

Estimated 129million PlayStation consoles (116m PS4 + 13.3m PS5 consoles) out there, vs possibly 58 million total Xbox consoles (50m XB1, 8m Xbox Series). Why the fuck do you expect sales parity, or anything close to that?

Between this and your posts wailing about textures in Forza Horizon 5, you haven’t exactly covered yourself in glory. Do better. Be better.
Basically this, the sales ratio is basically inline with the hardware platform size.

Kagey K

Banned
Damn, PS nearly 2x Xbox numbers.

You can't dismiss those numbers like the boxed sales thread and hide behind digital numbers now.

I guess the difference in software sales is due to Gamepass confirmed?
Or it's the difference in actual consoles sold, but don't let facts get in your way.

Looks to me like Xbox is still punching above its weight, and PS are dragging it down on a userbase basis.

Last edited:

reksveks

6VzVxSO.jpg

Next Gen Consoles ratio*
13.3/8 = 1.66

Ubisoft Q2 22 booking ratio
37/19 = 1.95
Ubisoft Q1 22
30/19 = 1.58
Ubisoft Q2 21 booking ratio
27/16 = 1.69
Ubisoft Q1 21
34/19 = 1.79

Ubisoft H1 22
34/19 = 1.79
Ubisoft H1 21
31/17 = 1.82

Need a good estimate for total console userbase.

On a separate note, their net booking for H1 was down 5% so they clearly are more closely matching the xbox numbers. Still trying to figure out the publisher with an increase dlc revenue on Sony platforms. That last quarter was a shift from the norm it seems but I will try and add this into my excel sheet.

Last edited:

yazenov

T
Or it's the difference in actual consoles sold, but don't let facts get in your way.

Looks to me like Xbox is still punching above its weight, and PS are dragging it down on a userbase basis.

That's now how things work.

The more higher the user base, the more diverse the demographic is with different tastes. Otherwise, PC would be the lead platform in terms of software sales.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
As I remember they didn't say that. I bet they said that on average their GP users bought more games than the users without GP.

Because there are some players inactive who don't play the console and don't buy games anymore. There are players who are active and only buy a couple of games per year: the average gamer. And then a small subset of gamers who are active and buy many games per year. That last group would be the one who pretty likely are interested on GP because they already spend a lot of time and money on games so GP makes sense for them.

According to my theory people who get subs like GP already were buying more games than the average. It isn't the service what makes them buy more games. In fact I think that if the service offers them a lot of interesting games to play they'll buy less games than the ones they bought before having the service.
Here's the article where Phil said GP increases sales. He was basically saying GP works like word of mouth and people buy the same games their friends are playing etc

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2018-11-13-phil-spencer-game-pass-leads-to-more-game-sales

Or platform size?

Maybe its a combination of the two.

We dont have Valhalla ratio breakdown by platform but it seems it should have done better on Xbox due to the exclusive marketing for the game by MS.
What about PC? It's the biggest "platform" and it doesn't follow the ratio at all.

reksveks

What about PC? It's the biggest "platform" and it doesn't follow the ratio at all.
We start to then go into average sold price etc and how games get bought in terms of from release dates. I would be interested to see if there is any research into those factors. I didn't know that ubisoft released these booking numbers so will try and graph it out.

For those interested, when (what quarter) do you think gamepass was a non-factor in user purchase behaviour?

Last edited:

yazenov

Here's the article where Phil said GP increases sales. He was basically saying GP works like word of mouth and people buy the same games their friends are playing etc

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2018-11-13-phil-spencer-game-pass-leads-to-more-game-sales

I agree. We can't say the sales are disproportionate purely because of the user base. Otherwise, PC should be the main platform for 3rd party sales.

There are multiple factors that affects the ratio and one of the factors is Gamepass (best value in gaming according to MS and its fans).

reksveks

There are multiple factors that affects the ratio and one of the factors is Gamepass
True so but using this as proof of GP effect is suppressing third-party spend is a bit early based on the previous quarter was rather different.

Ubisoft Q2 22 booking ratio
37/19 = 1.95
Ubisoft Q1 22
30/19 = 1.58

There are alot of variables and we need to figure out what we can make assumptions about.

Rykan

T

That's now how things work.

The more higher the user base, the more diverse the demographic is with different tastes. Otherwise, PC would be the lead platform in terms of software sales.
That's literally not how any of this works.
A larger userbase means that the target audience for this game on that platform is higher too.

Pc is a completely different ballgame because of different specifications for each user and the fact that the PC platform is predominantly popular in regions that don't play single player action games. PC is just a collective term for all kinds of different hardware specifications, which may or may not run this game.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

This is me.

I bought the MCC, Recore, Quantum Break and Crackdown 3. This was before getting GP, and I had a chance to not buy CD3 because I got GP a few weeks after. (I had no intentions of getting GP when I got CD3.)

Since getting Game Pass, I didnt have to buy Forza, Gears 5 or 12 Minutes. Since getting Game Pass I specifically check to see if a game is on there. If it is, no need to buy it. I would have probably bought 12 Minutes if not for Game Pass. So yeah, thanks MS!!

So...in other words...console/hardware sales do matter.

Because it gets kinda confusing when we talk about things like this and folks mention console sales dont matter, its an outdated metric, etc.

pasterpl

Funny thing, if estimate that ACV sold 10m copies, than these numbers meant that 6.38% of Xbox users bought the game vs 1.55% of PlayStation users. Even with gamepass Xbox attachment rates are higher for games that are not on gamepass.

yazenov

That's literally not how any of this works.
A larger userbase means that the target audience for this game on that platform is higher too.

Pc is a completely different ballgame because of different specifications for each user and the fact that the PC platform is predominantly popular in regions that don't play single player action games. PC is just a collective term for all kinds of different hardware specifications, which may or may not run this game.

Valhalla is one out of many Ubisoft games released on Multiple platforms. They also release multiplayer games such as rainbow 6 and so forth. Yet from the current and past Ubisoft financials, Playstation still dominates the ratio in terms of software sales.

Given your theory, PC should carry its weight in the Ubisoft multiplayer games since as you said, they don't play single player games ( which you have no credible basis on this to begin with). But thats not the case at all.

The excuse that sales is purely driven by userbase is quite frankly a diversion away from the elephant in the room which is Gamepass.

Kerotan

Where is Phil Spencer to tell me that Gamepass is making people buy games? If Xbox users get entitled to the subscription service and not buy any games then MS will take a big hit because they lose out on the 30% cut from third party publishers and worse it makes it easier for Sony to arrange timed exclusive possibly even full exclusive exclusive because Xbox users don’t buy games
Hopefully. This subscription model needs to crash and burn.

reksveks

The excuse that sales is purely driven by userbase is quite frankly a diversion away from the elephant in the room which is Gamepass.
It's not a diversion, it's a variable very much like GP. Now lets try to do this correctly.

What metrics do you think you need to answer the question 'has Gamepass effected third party publisher sales'? Include ones that we know we don't have.

Gamepass subscribers
Xbox console mau*
PS console mau
Booking by platform.

Last edited:

Also Spencer was only talking about Game Pass games. That was just a low effort console warring post.

reksveks

Won't be able to input the data until this evening but I should be able to give with yoy comparisons
H2 : 34:19 = 1.79
21 - 33:21 = 1.58
20 - 30:16 = 1.875
19 - 36:20 = 1.8
18 - 42:23 = 1.83
17 - 41:27 = 1.52

Then we kick into the ps3/xbox gen
16* - 42:26 = 1.62
15 - 45: 33 = 1.36
14 - 34:33 = 1.03

Top Bottom