• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 & PS4 Dominate Ubisoft Sales; Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Generates Second-Highest Profit Ever for Ubi

yazenov

Capcom a while ago released a platform breakdown of sales of different games, and the sales ratio in favour of playstation was massive compared to xbox. Someone posted it on era.

We had leaked numbers from Nov 25th 2020 for Monster Hunter World And Iceborrne as well. This puts things into perspective the different in software sales:

MHW PS4: 8.693 Million
MHW Xbox: 1.789 million

Ps4 Ice borne: 4.545 million
Xbox IB 448k

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I love Ubisoft but I wish the success of Valhalla was actually Odyssey instead. Oh well.

Vognerful

Capcom a while ago released a platform breakdown of sales of different games, and the sales ratio in favour of playstation was massive compared to xbox. Someone posted it on era.

Sorry bro but game pass was not of any significance in 2018 as it was in the following years to make a difference in sales, not to mention they had street fighter 5 exclusive to PS4 and PC.

Add to this, monster hunter world was released in January 2018 which was a huge hit in Japan, a market that has no Xbox footprint.

Vognerful

We had leaked numbers from Nov 25th 2020 for Monster Hunter World And Iceborrne as well. This puts things into perspective the different in software sales:

Xbox IB 448k
The huge number of sales for monster world is because it sold huge in Japan.

Vognerful

Sorry bro but game pass was not of any significance in 2018 as it was in the following years to make a difference in sales, not to mention they had street fighter 5 exclusive to PS4 and PC.

Add to this, monster hunter world was released in January 2018 which was a huge hit in Japan, a market that has no Xbox footprint.
Just wanted to add also that in 2018, game pass was no where near as big or advertised as it was later half of 2019, or part of big campaign of Xbox. Monster hunter did not come to game pass until April 2019.

Jaybe

That PC drop off. Good Choice aligning yourselves with Epic’s storefront. It’s not like any one games on Steam anymore /s

Hm I think it will just increase on the Sony side and decrease on the Xbox side because Xbox will become a pure game pass console where software won’t sell anymore
I agree. As a matter of fact, that has been happening already. I expect things to get worst.

jm89

Just wanted to add also that in 2018, game pass was no where near as big or advertised as it was later half of 2019, or part of big campaign of Xbox. Monster hunter did not come to game pass until April 2019.
I wasnt even talking about gamepass.... Actually that makes the sales difference even worse for Xbox that gamepass wasn't significant in 2018 and it still lagged behind on sales massively.

I highly doubt exclusives like sf5 would have made a huge difference.

Last edited:

XXL

I'm not sure if the playstation community should be proud about buying that shitshow of a game tho
Considering the comments I've seen people get permanently banned for, it's mindblowing this comment hasn't been moderated.
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Fare thee well

Neophyte
37% tells me a lot about the types of games users will accept as a 'viable' product. And no, I don't hate on you for liking Valhalla or Far Cry 6. I just think if everyone challenged the market, you all could be getting a far better gaming experience for all that coin you give to Ubisoft instead. But that requires scrutiny and patience.

Anime-Vix

VALHALLA is fun as hell, but how in the hell did it blow OYDESSEY out of the water? Is this just based on how good AC:O was. AC:V is just so serious (relative to AC:O) and - in the time that I played it - didn't have the same whimsy as AC:O (other than the section with Velka; maybe it gets weirder I dunno).

. . .definitely looked a lot better, and had a cleaner overworld. Hard to compare stories though (honestly enjoy both for what they are). One day I'm sure I'll beat one of them. One day -
Probably because of the Viking setting. Vikings and the whole Norse mythology are very popular today. Greek mythology and the Romans setting is not as popular as it used to be

Little Chicken

Gold Member

Xbox IB 448k

Need to take into account that MHW was also on Game Pass.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I've greatly enjoyed every AC since Origins. The formula is solid.

Same here, and I didn't really like the previous gen games.

Ubisoft's AC games are the most detailed, best looking open-world games; the amount of work that goes into them is astonishing.

However, it'd be nice if the story were given the same attention, as well as dropping the present-day stuff - does anybody care? I have no idea what's going on, but those sections just take me out of the games completely.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I enjoyed it but it was twice as long as it should have been. Took me almost 70 hours to finish the story and I burned out around the 40 hour mark.

It won’t happen but I hope they return to a single city setting and really pump up the density of the city. A Unity that isn’t full of bugs and pop in basically 😝

Neo_game

Immortals Feynx Rising is underrated I think. Hopefully it did alright. PC numbers are also pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Rykan

Valhalla is one out of many Ubisoft games released on Multiple platforms. They also release multiplayer games such as rainbow 6 and so forth. Yet from the current and past Ubisoft financials, Playstation still dominates the ratio in terms of software sales.

Given your theory, PC should carry its weight in the Ubisoft multiplayer games since as you said, they don't play single player games ( which you have no credible basis on this to begin with). But thats not the case at all.

The excuse that sales is purely driven by userbase is quite frankly a diversion away from the elephant in the room which is Gamepass.

PCs largest userbase markets are markets such as China. Ubisofts multiplayer games are almost exclusively played in western markets and have little to no audience in regions such as China, which is the single largest PC gaming market.

You're trying incredibly hard to come up with some weird explanation for a sale discrepancy that lines up almost perfectly with the market share of each console instead of just accepting the obvious. This game isn't even on game pass anyway.

Last edited:

Vognerful

I wasnt even talking about gamepass.... Actually that makes the sales difference even worse for Xbox that gamepass wasn't significant in 2018 and it still lagged behind on sales massively.

Look at the previous years, the difference in sales was correlating with number of consoles even though 2017 had the release of resident Evil 7.

The main reason there was a huge difference is that in 2018, street fighter 5 arcade edition was released on ps5 and PC, and monster hunter world which had huge success in Japan.

The link you also shared is talking about games and DLCs. So a game like street fighter it MHW would generate a lot of numbers as there are many dlc packs.

yazenov

The huge number of sales for monster world is because it sold huge in Japan.

Ps4 numbers for MHW breakdown by regions:

USA: 2.392 mil
EU: 1.702 mil
Asia: 1.414 mil
NonJP Total: 5.509
Sony Japan: 3.184mil

US region numbers for PS4 alone outsold total region of Xbox numbers combined.

Still doesn't explain the hude sales difference even when excluding Japan sales of MHW.

Last edited:

jm89

Look at the previous years, the difference in sales was correlating with number of consoles even though 2017 had the release of resident Evil 7.

The main reason there was a huge difference is that in 2018, street fighter 5 arcade edition was released on ps5 and PC, and monster hunter world which had huge success in Japan.

The link you also shared is talking about games and DLCs. So a game like street fighter it MHW would generate a lot of numbers as there are many dlc packs.
SF arcade edition was not a huge seller at all, in no way did that generate any big numbers at all.

Monster Hunter just proves the point for alot of developers playstation is a far bigger and healthier platform especially for japanese devs compared to xbox.

EDMIX

Same here, and I didn't really like the previous gen games.

Ubisoft's AC games are the most detailed, best looking open-world games; the amount of work that goes into them is astonishing.

However, it'd be nice if the story were given the same attention, as well as dropping the present-day stuff - does anybody care? I have no idea what's going on, but those sections just take me out of the games completely.

Needed to be said. No one gives a shit about any of that Animus stuff, the stories they got going in in those time periods are good enough on their own and I feel they should drop the present day crap.

No one cares.

That storyline has never had me buy a AC title before, like ever. I even try to skip those parts and I never skip cutscenes in narrative based story game stuff, so if I have to do that, clearly that shit is unwarranted. Other then that, I do believe the open world RPG stuff has been some of the best AC titles we've seen and has allowed the team to have a lot of freedom to do new concepts and ideas. I hope we get one in the 1700 or 1800s in America again.

Mexican American war and or Native American War etc. Lots of great stories to be told and such an amazing shades of gray with story telling that many sides can be seen as bad based on perspective. I'd be ok if they went back to London or Paris, but I'd like at least a bit of a break and do an American or even Canadian one before they head back to those areas and time frames.

reksveks

Microsoft definitely needs to figure out how to ensure that Japanese devs don't find a reason to have any form of exclusivity. Be that increased user base relative to previous years or funnelling mtx revenue to those Japanese publishers or a better rev split. I sadly don't think anyone is as open as Ubisoft regard platform splits.

Kerotan

console warrior: “The PS4 outsold the Xbox One by over 2:1. Hehe. Also, the PS5 is outselling Xbox Series”

also console warrior: “ Ubisoft game selling more on PlayStation than Xbox is clearly because Xbox gamers don’t buy games, hehe”

Estimated 129million PlayStation consoles (116m PS4 + 13.3m PS5 consoles) out there, vs possibly 58 million total Xbox consoles (50m XB1, 8m Xbox Series). Why the fuck do you expect sales parity, or anything close to that?

Between this and your posts wailing about textures in Forza Horizon 5, you haven’t exactly covered yourself in glory. Do better. Be better.
Jesus when you put it like that. Only 50M xboxs out there with the majority in America. The world really is moving on from that brand.

Goalus

Xbox IB 448k
It's Sony-exclusive in Asia.
Why not compare Halo sales on Xbox vs. Halo sales on PS instead?

Last edited:

reksveks

Jesus when you put it like that. Only 50M xboxs out there with the majority in America. The world really is moving on from that brand.

Nothing massive has changed in the last 4 years, except Microsoft has gotten slightly closer to Nintendo and very slowly Sony.

Console rev

e1v8mAF.png

Ubisoft rev
sXlocG4.png

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I can help solve your dispute. PC userbase was split in half (and worse) when microsoft put their head up their ass and decided to ditch their mainship platform and create the xbox in the 2000s.

I WILL never forget the 'pc is dead' bs. *shakes fist at IGN and Gamespot*

GhostOfTsu

Banned

Ps4 numbers for MHW breakdown by regions:

USA: 2.392 mil
EU: 1.702 mil
Asia: 1.414 mil
NonJP Total: 5.509
Sony Japan: 3.184mil

US region numbers for PS4 alone outsold total region of Xbox numbers combined.

Still doesn't explain the hude sales difference even when excluding Japan sales of MHW.
These are the updated numbers for Capcom for 2020/2021. Can't hide behind the GP excuse now. The ratio is a lot worse than Ubisoft.

PS = 2.75 Millions
Nintendo = 3.65 Millions
Xbox = 400 000

pmISiZZ.png

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Ubisoft stock is still in the shitter and they released their 2 biggest SP campaigns this yr. Congrats for keeping them afloat, I would be embarrassed if i was bragging about this, dont worry, you will be able to post about FC in a few weeks too.

reksveks

These are the updated numbers for Capcom for 2020/2021. Can't hide behind the GP excuse now. The ratio is a lot worse than Ubisoft.

PS = 2.75 Millions
Nintendo = 3.65 Millions
Xbox = 400 000

pmISiZZ.png
Just want to highlight that we all know know that those numbers are physical sales numbers. I know some people on twitter thought PC only sold 150k.

azsWnEO.png
L46iW6r.png

jm89

PS = 2.75 Millions
Nintendo = 3.65 Millions
Xbox = 400 000

pmISiZZ.png
Damn that difference is huge between xbox and playstation. PC expected I'm surprised it even did that much physical.

yazenov

PS = 2.75 Millions
Nintendo = 3.65 Millions
Xbox = 400 000

pmISiZZ.png

Daaaaamn that a huge difference. Even though its physical, the digital numbers won't be much different ratio wise.

Topher

Gold Member
AC doesn't feel like AC anymore. It went from Assassin game to generic RPG. Last AC I played was Black Flag.

The last AC game I played that really felt like an AC game was Syndicate. Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla all feel more like open world RPGs set in the AC world and using AC mechanics rather than proper AC games. I'd really love Ubisoft to get back to a true AC game, but now they are going to this AC Infinity thing so who knows what that is going to be.

iHaunter

The last AC game I played that really felt like an AC game was Syndicate. Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla all feel more like open world RPGs set in the AC world and using AC mechanics rather than proper AC games. I'd really love Ubisoft to get back to a true AC game, but now they are going to this AC Infinity thing so who knows what that is going to be.
I think they would have to do a full reboot of the series at this point. Or just rebrand. Assassins isn't as big a focal point it looks like.

reksveks

Is digital under Full-game Download then because 23 millions sounds way too high?
I am still trying to figure out the definitions and the time period personally honestly.

Net Sales Up 66.4%, Operating Income Up 61.9% Year-over-year in Capcom's Consolidated Results for the Six Months Ended September 30, 2021 | CAPCOM

In this business segment, Resident Evil Village (for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC), released in May, contributed significantly to earnings. In July, role-playing game Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (for Nintendo Switch, PC) was released, winning over a broad range of fans with its adventures featuring popular monsters and an engaging combat system all based on the world of the Monster Hunter series. This resulted in shipments of over 1 million units worldwide for the title. Additionally, sales volume for Monster Hunter Rise (for Nintendo Switch), which was released at the end of the previous fiscal year, continued to grow, supported by the title's steady popularity, while catalog titles consisting mainly of past series releases generally maintained strong sales. As a result, high-margin digital sales continued to increase and total sales volume reached 19.8 million units, exceeding the 13.8 million units in sales of the same period of the previous fiscal year, thus driving up profits.

Getting some weird numbers for Average Unit Price which i need to check again

They do say that "Sales volume up 43% YoY; Growth in all categories including overseas units (81.8% of total) and digital units (70.2% of total) "

Last edited:

Woopah

As a general rule of thumb, Western publishers will always sell better on PlayStation while Japanese publishers will sell better on PlayStation or Switch.

Top Bottom