• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 sales surge over 300% in the UK during February (compared to Feb '22) | UK Monthly Charts

Venom Snake

qmhbzl.jpeg

Three

I think end of March onwards would be the litmus test as last year they drastically cut forcasts based on some supply issue around these months.

Well, with statements like this made without any data to back up the claim, then yes, one can argue otherwise.
I Know Reaction GIF by Guerrilla

People have given reasons above that are quite clear at this point.

The expectations around the game and the userbase at the time, they certainly didn't expect it to perform on par with Ghost of Tsushima are significantly below Uncharted, God of War, Spider-Man, and Horizon...

But keep believing what you want to believe.

Last of us part 2 sold 10 million in 2 years. It performed quite poorly when we are comparing it to GoW 2018 and Spiderman with the same time frame.

Both those games are more mainstream friendly, as in nowhere near as divisive in terms of their narrative choices; and neither got points of its story leaked, nor was subjected of as vicious of a reception by a loud fringe of players as TLOU II did. The most important aspects are that the sequel sold tons of copies still, got awards left and right, and succeeded enough that a third title will get developed.

Last edited:

onQ123

im still trying to figure out how selling over 10 million copies of a game without bundles in 1.5 years is ‘performing badly’

A group of people was running around talking about "Go Woke Go Broke" hoping that the game fail & when it didn't they had to come up with something to feel better about themselves so now they keep claiming it was supposed to do better lol

Pretty much like them Reset Era people hoping that Hogwarts Legacy fail . If they could talk about it over there they would be saying something just as crazy lol.

Regardless of who made the decision to remake Part 1, the fact that the 70$ remake is being passed up in favor of the 20$ Remaster is probably not what they had in mind when they green lit the remake.

Is this where the goalpost is at, that sony/naughty dog is mad their two other last of us games on the far larger installbase is outselling the recent more expensive one that still hasn’t released on pc yet?

Rykan

Is this where the goalpost is at, that sony/naughty dog is mad their two other last of us games on the far larger installbase is outselling the recent more expensive one that still hasn’t released on pc yet?
eh yeah? When you release a Remake that is priced at 70$, then you probably don't want to see it being passed up for the far cheaper option that is only 20$ which is far less profitable.

Like what is the thought process here? Sony is happy that the game they spend a lot of resources developing on is being passed up for the cheaper, less profitable version?

JaksGhost

eh yeah? When you release a Remake that is priced at 70$, then you probably don't want to see it being passed up for the far cheaper option that is only 20$ which is far less profitable.

Like what is the thought process here? Sony is happy that the game they spend a lot of resources developing on is being passed up for the cheaper, less profitable version?
The cheaper option is available on an install base 4Xs larger than the PS5 yet Sony is reaping the benefits from both bases. Druckmann is your fucking Boogie Man and it’s hilarious to watch y’all try to shit on his success like ERA and Rowling. Two peas in a pod snorting copium.

Last edited:

The thought process is if they didn’t want people buying the remaster they wouldn’t still be selling it. The Remake probably made the money it took to develop it back in the first month. It was number 3 for PSN downloads september in both the UK and US and 5 on NPD

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/10/06/playstation-store-september-2022s-top-downloads/

https://venturebeat.com/games/september-2022-npd-sports-games-top-charts-hardware-sales-soar/

The Remake isn’t available to ps4 players so obviously they are trying to satiate two different audiences with these SKU’s. Sony didn’t even market the Remake as a big title, it was announced an released within two months with no big ad placement in public, no commercials, no state of play, no bundles or deals, I dont even think the playstation twitter accounts did the “congrats on release” thing.

The most attention it got was at the summer games fest

Last edited:

Rykan

The cheaper option is available on an install base 4Xs larger than the PS5 yet Sony is reaping the benefits from both bases. Druckmann is your fucking Boogie Man and it’s hilarious to watch y’all try to shit on his success like ERA and Rowling. Two peas in a pod snorting copium.
I don't know why you confuse me for some Anti Druckman or brand this as "Shit on his success". Druckman has been at the helm of some incredibly successful games both in terms of critical and commercial success, but the Remake of The last of Us 1 was unnecessary, at least in my opinion.

The PS4's install base is larger, but there is obviously a large amount of overlap. The Last of us: Remastered is over 8 years old now and has been given away with PSN Plus at least once. The larger install base doesn't always translate to higher sales: The PS5 versions of GoW: Ragnarok and Horizon:FW outsold the PS4 by a fairly large amount. I'm pretty sure most Crossgen games sell better on next gen than old gen consoles.

Obvious TLOU isn't a cross gen situation, but brushing it away as "Oh well it's just a larger installbase so that explains it" doesn't hold up. They went for the cheaper option.

The thought process is if they didn’t want people buying the remaster they wouldn’t still be selling it. The Remake probably made the money it took to develop it back in the first month. It was number 3 for PSN downloads september in both the UK and US and 5 on NPD

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/10/06/playstation-store-september-2022s-top-downloads/

https://venturebeat.com/games/september-2022-npd-sports-games-top-charts-hardware-sales-soar/

The Remake isn’t available to ps4 players so obviously they are trying to satiate two different audiences with these SKU’s. Sony didn’t even market the Remake as a big title, it was announced an released within two months with no big ad placement in public, no commercials, no bundles or deals, I dont even think the playstation twitter accounts did the “congrats on release” thing.
That is not how any of that works. Games almost never get "delisted" unless there is a licensing issue. EA isn't stopping the sales of all their old sports games or old Battlefield games whenever a new one comes out, even though they really want you to move to the next one.

I don't know why you confuse me for some Anti Druckman or brand this as "Shit on his success". Druckman has been at the helm of some incredibly successful games both in terms of critical and commercial success, but the Remake of The last of Us 1 was unnecessary, at least in my opinion.

The PS4's install base is larger, but there is obviously a large amount of overlap. The Last of us: Remastered is over 8 years old now and has been given away with PSN Plus at least once. The larger install base doesn't always translate to higher sales: The PS5 versions of GoW: Ragnarok and Horizon:FW outsold the PS4 by a fairly large amount. I'm pretty sure most Crossgen games sell better on next gen than old gen consoles.

Obvious TLOU isn't a cross gen situation, but brushing it away as "Oh well it's just a larger installbase so that explains it" doesn't hold up. They went for the cheaper option.

That is not how any of that works. Games almost never get "delisted" unless there is a licensing issue. EA isn't stopping the sales of all their old sports games or old Battlefield games whenever a new one comes out, even though they really want you to move to the next one.

Sony delisted Ghost of Tsushima when the Directors Cut came out so they definitely can.

https://www.cashify.in/news/ghost-o...tore-before-the-premiere-of-the-directors-cut

That's literally the same game with added content. It's not even remotely comparable to a remake situation.

Its literally the same situation, they removed a cheaper version of the game and added a more expensive version. If Sony wanted people to only buy the remake they would have delisted the cheaper alternative.

Rykan

Its literally the same situation, they removed a cheaper version of the game and added a more expensive version. If Sony wanted people to only buy the remake they would have delisted the cheaper alternative.
No, it is not the same situation. Stop with these insane takes.

The last of us Part 1 is a REMAKE of the original game. It's a completely different product. The last of us 1 Remastered is an enhanced port of the original PS3 game. The remake and the Remaster don't look nor play the same.

Ghost of Tsushima: Directors Cut is literally the exact same game with added content.

No, it is not the same situation. Stop with these insane takes.

The last of us Part 1 is a REMAKE of the original game. It's a completely different product. The last of us 1 Remastered is an enhanced port of the original PS3 game. The remake and the Remaster don't look nor play the same.

Ghost of Tsushima: Directors Cut is literally the exact same game with added content.

If anything that gives more credence to Sony not caring about which one sells more, they want ps4 and ps5 players to play the game.

Rykan

If anything that gives more credence to Sony not caring about which one sells more, they want ps4 and ps5 players to play the game.
Eh No?

One sells for 20$. the other sells for $70. Well, the Pound equivalent, that is. A sale for the $70 one leads to more profits and justifies the resource investments into the production of the Remake.

Eh No?

One sells for 20$. the other sells for $70. Well, the Pound equivalent, that is. A sale for the $70 one leads to more profits and justifies the resource investments into the production of the Remake.

The last of us remastered is a 10 year old game thats available on PSN, you think they are disappointed people are buying it again en masse? Don’t you think if they wanted ps4 players to buy the remake that they would have made it a cross-gen release?

Rykan

The last of us remastered is a 10 year old game thats available on PSN, you think they are disappointed people are buying it again en masse? Don’t you think if they wanted ps4 players to buy the remake that they would have made it a cross-gen release?
They will if it comes at the expense of the recently released remake. They could have released the remake on PS4, but that would have led to increased development time and it could potentially look to similar to the remastered one.

You're happy if your 10 year old game is still reaching the top of the sales chart 10 years later. Not so much if people are buying it instead of the newly released version of the same game.

They will if it comes at the expense of the recently released remake. They could have released the remake on PS4, but that would have led to increased development time and it could potentially look to similar to the remastered one.

You're happy if your 10 year old game is still reaching the top of the sales chart 10 years later. Not so much if people are buying it instead of the newly released version of the same game.

You would have to know their expectations for part 1 to know whether they are unhappy with its sales or not. The development time, team size, marketing budget, and the asset usage of part 2 leads me to believe it wasnt a very expensive project for them to make and it still hasn’t released on PC.

If the remake were positioned as a tentpole release I’d have agreed that its sales aren’t very mpressive but its practically sonys version of a shadow drop

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
You would have to know their expectations for part 1 to know whether they are unhappy with its sales or not. The development time, team size, marketing budget, and the asset usage of part 2 leads me to believe it was a very expensive project for them to make and it still hasn’t released on PC.

If the remake were positioned as a tentpole release I’d have agreed that its sales aren’t very mpressive but its practically sonys version of a shadow drop
They barely advertised it. I'm sure all these people buying the PS4 remastered don't even know there's a PS5 Remake.

I feel sorry for them because the remake is better in every way. I hope they play it again later on PS5.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do we have the splits for Hogwarts Legacy?

It did 85% on PS5 and PC. 15% on Xbox Series.

People have given reasons above that are quite clear at this point.

The expectations around the game and the userbase at the time, they certainly didn't expect it to perform on par with Ghost of Tsushima are significantly below Uncharted, God of War, Spider-Man, and Horizon...

But keep believing what you want to believe.

Why are you using Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted, and Horizon as if these aren't also mega hits? WTH is going on in here?

im still trying to figure out how selling over 10 million copies of a game without bundles in 1.5 years is ‘performing badly’

Your answer is below.

A group of people was running around talking about "Go Woke Go Broke" hoping that the game fail & when it didn't they had to come up with something to feel better about themselves so now they keep claiming it was supposed to do better lol

Pretty much like them Reset Era people hoping that Hogwarts Legacy fail . If they could talk about it over there they would be saying something just as crazy lol.

The anti-woke crowd were praying that TLOU2 would fail. They are also anti-Druckman too. But now that he's a king maker, they've resorted to "other" tactics.

It did 85% on PS5 and PC. 15% on Xbox Series.

Why are you using Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted, and Horizon as if these aren't also mega hits? WTH is going on in here?

Your answer is below.

The anti-woke crowd were praying that TLOU2 would fail. They are also anti-Druckman too. But now that he's a king maker, they've resorted to "other" tactics.

How did you conflate GoT with Uncharted and Horizon?

TLOU was a property sony absolutely expected to sell along the lines of Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, and Spider-Man and it absolutely didn't.

Ghost of Tsushima performed as well with almost certainly a smaller budget and less franchise prestige.

It should be easy enough to say that TLOU2 underperformed. It's obvious and you can tell that by Sony's response with PR surrounding the game.

They are very vocal about their successes and they have been largely quiet around TLOU2. It didn't perform like they hoped it would.

supernova8

Banned
Impressive that PS5 sales were so strong despite people scalping the shit out of it right up until about a few months ago.

People were still buying at scalper prices (albeit lower than before), which just shows how strong the thirst is.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How did you conflate GoT with Uncharted and Horizon?

TLOU was a property sony absolutely expected to sell along the lines of Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, and Spider-Man and it absolutely didn't.

Ghost of Tsushima performed as well with almost certainly a smaller budget and less franchise prestige.

It should be easy enough to say that TLOU2 underperformed. It's obvious and you can tell that by Sony's response with PR surrounding the game.

They are very vocal about their successes and they have been largely quiet around TLOU2. It didn't perform like they hoped it would.

I just think the term "underperform" is a stupid narrative considering how much money it made Sony. If GTA 6 sells 50 million units lifetime, would that be underperforming?

why do people keep parroting this nonsense? GoT sold less than TLOU2 with a remaster and bundles, and sony hasn’t been ‘quiet” about it, they announced when it broke launch day records, they announced when it sold over 10 million and they announced their combined franchise sales.

Sony hasn’t been actively announcing sales miles stones unless they break records outside of PR

TLOU 1 took 6 years to sell 20 million copies, with a remaster released one year later and bundles. How is TLOU2 not selling inline with that?

Some of you really gotta get that chip off your shoulder about the way part 2 played out, its getting weird.

Last edited:
why do people keep parroting this nonsense? GoT sold less than TLOU2 with a remaster and bundles, and sony hasn’t been ‘quiet” about it, they announced when it broke launch day records, they announced when it sold over 10 million and they announced their combined franchise sales.

Sony hasn’t been actively announcing sales miles stones unless they break records outside of PR

TLOU 1 took 6 years to sell 20 million copies, with a remaster released one year later and bundles. How is TLOU2 not selling inline with that?

Some of you really gotta get that chip off your shoulder about the way part 2 played out, its getting weird.

GoT was not remastered... but keep that energy going.

I have nothing against TLOU2 like many here do, but I can fully attest that it didn't sell as well as Sony probably expected it to and they've been very quiet about it as a result.

They waited for it to sell 10 million copies after like 2 years before announcing it. Sony announced this for God of War Ragnarok after just a couple of months. They've been far more vocal about their other franchises when TLOU used to be the pinnacle.

TLOU was their best-selling PS3 game aside from GT5. The remaster sold even more than the original. They fully expected the sequel to sell more than 10 million copies after the remaster sold that much with fewer consoles to sell to and after Uncharted 4 reached new heights for PS4 games.

Any way you paint this, they would have expected TLOU2 to sell a minimum of 15 million units and it sold 2/3rds of that...

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

It's literally a bundle... are you for real?

And what does it say before that? LIMITED, which means they couldn’t possible make a serious dent in sales. Those typically aren’t sold past preorders.

Thats not remotely the same thing as pack-in games, included for free with the console months and months after release, but like i said, carry on. Your behavior in the TLOU hbo show thread and this one definitely tells me you have a weird hate boner for the game or druckmann

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
And what does it say before, that? LIMITED, which means they couldn’t possible make a serious dent in sales. Those typically aren’t sold past preorders.

Thats not remotely the same thing as pack-in games, included for free with the console months and months after release, but like i said, carry on. Your behavior in the TLOU hbo show thread and this one definitely tells me you have a weird hate boner for the game or druckmann
Im sorry but...i have to agree with mibu here...

Its not about how limited it is.....

As long as a console sold with a game = thats classified as bundle

Last edited:
And what does it say before that? LIMITED, which means they couldn’t possible make a serious dent in sales. Those typically aren’t sold past preorders.

You have no idea how many units were created AND TLOU was still tied in with normal PS4 sales, but the reality is they thought this game would be able to sell these even more expensive bundled units and I'm sure they sold out, but the game didn't sell as well as they'd hoped it would.

I mean it's just obvious that that's the case to the point where it doesn't make sense to keep going back and forth on this.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
GoT was not remastered... but keep that energy going.

I have nothing against TLOU2 like many here do, but I can fully attest that it didn't sell as well as Sony probably expected it to and they've been very quiet about it as a result.

They waited for it to sell 10 million copies after like 2 years before announcing it. Sony announced this for God of War Ragnarok after just a couple of months. They've been far more vocal about their other franchises when TLOU used to be the pinnacle.

TLOU was their best-selling PS3 game aside from GT5. The remaster sold even more than the original. They fully expected the sequel to sell more than 10 million copies after the remaster sold that much with fewer consoles to sell to and after Uncharted 4 reached new heights for PS4 games.

Any way you paint this, they would have expected TLOU2 to sell a minimum of 15 million units and it sold 2/3rds of that...

Sony only announces milestone sales marks and that's why they didn't announce The Last of Us Part II sales.

Last of Us Remastered was bundled for years. It was evident that bundles play a large part in The Last of Us Remaster bundles because Last of Us Part II beat it in revenue in the US in less than 3 weeks and the same goes for Uncharted 4.

As I mentioned earlier. Uncharted 4 bundled accounted for more than 3 million "copies" sold in the US and the game reportedly sold just over 8 million in less than a year. So, that means Uncharted 4 sold "more units" than Last of Us Part II in a shorter period of time, but made far less revenue.

Sony knows this. Do you think they're happier with Last of Us Remastered selling 13 million copies or Last of Us Part II selling 4 million copies in 3 days but making more revenue in return?

Top Bottom