• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS5] Samsung 980 Pro... barely faster than 5,500mb/sec?

Dream-Knife

Banned
I think that up to means that that's the max theoretical performance.

My $180 Inland Performance Plus gets 6410mb/s read and is advertised as 7gb/s.

Put it in your PC and run crystal disk mark.

truth411

What's the point of the drive hitting 7 GB/s if the application in question doesn't require it?
We are at the beginning of the generation, no games are fully utilizing the SSD. In the future when PS5 exclusives are using the SSD 6 priority levels, you will need a M.2 thats faster than 5.5GB because it only has 2 Priority levels. How much faster is unknown and it will probably depend on the game.

Cerny explained this last year in his road to PS5 presentation.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I don't understand your logic. Nobody I know has a PC with an NVMe slot. Also, my drive has a factory manufactured date of July and the latest firmware came out in April.
That's irrelevant, the manufacturer could not have altered their production line with newer firmware even though it was available to the public. It's not that rare, I built a PC a few months back, some parts had older firmware installed than the one available at their theoretical time of production.

Is there any way from inside the PS5 to check which firmware version the SSD has? Because since there is a known issue with older firmware preventing it from going past 5500 mbps... and a lot of people report it getting fixed after updating the firmware... and you can't update the firmware, and are getting readings of 5500 mbps... you know, two plus two.

That's irrelevant, the manufacturer could not have altered their production line with newer firmware even though it was available to the public. It's not that rare, I built a PC a few months back, some parts had older firmware installed than the one available at their theoretical time of production.

Is there any way from inside the PS5 to check which firmware version the SSD has? Because since there is a known issue with older firmware preventing it from going past 5500 mbps... and a lot of people report it getting fixed after updating the firmware... and you can't update the firmware, and are getting readings of 5500 mbps... you know, two plus two.
I don’t know how to check the firmware. I don’t have a PC or know anyone that does.

Justin9mm

will state it again... any SSD is a huge upgrade over an old HDD.
old ssd 600mb/s is fucking fast.. so is 2500 so is 3000

stop wasting your money on marketing numbers ffs
What kind of shit post is this.. It's for his PS5, he can't use anything slower than Gen 4, a lot faster than those speeds as required by Sony. He's in his right to complain that a Gen 4 (for his PS5) is performing slower than advertised.

So tell me again how he is wasting his money if he needs more PS5 game play storage?

What a ridiculous unhelpful drive by post!

Shmunter

So who has updated the firmware of the 980 Pro and checked in read speeds improved on the PS5?
There are plenty of reports claiming the update did nothing to speed up the drive on ps5

Samsung, Sony or some experts need to chime in here at some point because the drive on comparison isn’t worth the money. People should stay away from it because of safer bets out there. All these early media posts copied each other as they do and we have been misled to think the 980 is a top choice, unfortunately it’s the opposite.

Buggy benchmark? Samsung needs to release PS5 specific firmware? Something needs to come out in the wash.

Last edited:
Not all drives are equal, Some have different controllers, which the PS5 has to take over controll of. Most drives have 2 data levels, PS5 requires 6 data levels. All 3rd party drives have to play nice with th PS5 12 channel controller & Custom IO block(for all the PS5s hardware features to work)

We are at the beginning of the generation, no games are fully utilizing the SSD. In the future when PS5 exclusives are using the SSD 6 priority levels, you will need a M.2 thats faster than 5.5GB because it only has 2 Priority levels. How much faster is unknown and it will probably depend on the game.

Fellas I understand that much but these also kinda read like back-of-package advertisement blurbs IJS :LOL:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What kind of shit post is this.. It's for his PS5, he can't use anything slower than Gen 4, a lot faster than those speeds as required by Sony. He's in his right to complain that a Gen 4 (for his PS5) is performing slower than advertised.

So tell me again how he is wasting his money if he needs more PS5 game play storage?

What a ridiculous unhelpful drive by post!
It only doesn’t work because sony put the limit in it.. wanna bet that almost all games run fine on 600MB/s?

Hoddi

I wouldn't read too much into that test. The whole formatting + benchmarking operation only takes a small handful of seconds which is far too short to show an accurate number.

hlm666

I don't think you really need to worry about the benchmark number. I posted a video in the other ps5 nvme thread that showed a 980 pro running through a raid card that benchmarked around 3200mb/s performing pretty much exactly the same as the directly connected nvme and the internal. Even transferring a game from internal to external it didn't come in any slower.

Cacadookie

Neo Member
So weird how all of these In-house Controllers need firmware updates to work while my Inland Microcenter brand NVMe works just fine. Seems like no one does it better than Phison.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

Samsung 980 Pro has a bug which causing the issues based on what I seen around.

My Aorus 7000s read speed is around 65xx.xx mb/sec

will state it again... any SSD is a huge upgrade over an old HDD.
old ssd 600mb/s is fucking fast.. so is 2500 so is 3000

stop wasting your money on marketing numbers ffs

True, my old m2 ssd is 600 and its already more than fast enough. Ppl are just fucking idiots and eat numbers up like breakfast, you can't do anything, especially those who only had a console and never owned a PC and just see BIG NUMBERS MUST GET!!!!!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

5.5 is going to be the "required" speed.
And devs arent going to make games that could "break" the PS5s support for the M.2 drives.
So while everyone is saying future titles will be way faster than the PS5s supported drive level, imma bet not.
Dev will be conservative knowing they need to support the M.2 drive....esp first party titles.......as for third party titles they need to support the XSX, so you can fully forget needing a drive well beyond 5.5GB/s.
THe PS5s SSD being such a heavy talking point has over inflated what it or rather software will actually be capable of.
Dont worry a 980 Pro even at 5.5GB/s will be more than enough for the PS5

Black_Stride

Can’t recommend Samsung products. Their products are garbage just like their phones and all my home appliances.

Their SSDs?
Cuz Samsung is a pretty big company the guys who make screens for iphones arent the same guys who make the SSDs.
Samsung SSDs have been toptier literally the 970s were king of the "consumer" hill pretty much since their introduction not sure why you cant recommend Samsungs SSDs.
If anything it took other manufacterers time to actually catch up to Samsung to the point that now youve got actual options.
A few years ago Samsung was easily the best and a no brainer.....now we have a few drives to choose from but Samsung is still towards the top of the hill.

Sweep14

Don't look to much at the PS5 speed test. I've got the same result as you and my 980pro is on the latest firmware. I heard of someone who formatted this SSD 3 times and got 3 different speed results varying from 5300 mb/s to 6300 mb/s

ClosBSAS

Works on my PC thing is these SSD companies are selling reused adds with lower speeds, gotta be very careful where u buy from. Shits whack. But as ppl have said, it's a pc SSD...if u put the Xbox SSD on a pc I'll get 1500 read, so maybe they are meant to work with their ecosystems.

Lysandros

Highly doubtful at this point. 5.5 GB/s with only 2 priority levels is established as a base now (first parties included of course) by Sony's own admission by essentially retracting the earlier statement and giving up on their hyped tech innovation. I hate when companies compromise their vision like this and mislead expectations.

truth411

5.5 is going to be the "required" speed.
And devs arent going to make games that could "break" the PS5s support for the M.2 drives.
So while everyone is saying future titles will be way faster than the PS5s supported drive level, imma bet not.
Dev will be conservative knowing they need to support the M.2 drive....esp first party titles.......as for third party titles they need to support the XSX, so you can fully forget needing a drive well beyond 5.5GB/s.
THe PS5s SSD being such a heavy talking point has over inflated what it or rather software will actually be capable of.
Dont worry a 980 Pro even at 5.5GB/s will be more than enough for the PS5
For 3rd party sure, they will focus on the lowest common denominator. But your fooling yourself if you think Sony Exclusives wont push the PS5 SSD/IO hard and take advantage of its 6 priority levels as we move further along in this Generation. The common denominator in all PS5s is its SSD/IO and most gamers wont even install M.2s. Also moving forward M.2s will be getting faster and cheaper, heck PCIE 5.0 M.2s are probably coming out next year, by then virtually all M.2s will be fast enough to compensate for only 2 Priority Levels.

Black_Stride

For 3rd party sure, they will focus on the lowest common denominator. But your fooling yourself if you think Sony Exclusives wont push the PS5 SSD/IO hard and take advantage of its 6 priority levels as we move further along in this Generation. The common denominator in all PS5s is its SSD/IO and most gamers wont even install M.2s. Also moving forward M.2s will be getting faster and cheaper, heck PCIE 5.0 M.2s are probably coming out next year, by then virtually all M.2s will be fast enough to compensate for only 2 Priority Levels.
Sony isnt going to break support on their support of the 5.5GB/s limit/factor.

So first partys are gonna make sure the M.2 drive still works.
And since Sony themselves have said 5.5GB/s is enough, they will be sure to keep that 5.5GB/s requirement is met.
Unless you assume Sony is going to backtrack on the 5.5GB/s M.2 thing, thats pretty much what we are gonna expect.

They arent gonna push that limit up to 6+GB/s

And even with PCIE5.0 the drive will still be limited by the speeds of PCIE4 because thats as fast as the port itself can function.

DarkestHour

Banned
The first step is to stop believing the PS5 actually requires an SSD that reads at 5+ GB/s when PC games have had equivalent load times for years even on SATA III based SSDs.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

The first step is to stop believing the PS5 actually requires an SSD that reads at 5+ GB/s when PC games have had equivalent load times for years even on SATA III based SSDs.
Realistically just using the 5.5GB/s is already "revolutionary" its people reading into priority level differences and assuming Sony will either force M.2 buyers to buy PCIE5 to get max port speed when they themselves have said 5.5GB/s is enough.

Over hyping a single feature while having a PCIE4 bottleneck doesnt make much sense.
So we kinda already know how/where PS5 games will perform.

If Sony had made their own custom SSD solution we could have been talking.
But as is its an off the shelf drive with the console I/O handling any overhead the priority level difference might bring.

If Sony back track the feature of having PS5 games on M.2 we should riot!

truth411

Sony isnt going to break support on their support of the 5.5GB/s limit/factor.

So first partys are gonna make sure the M.2 drive still works.
And since Sony themselves have said 5.5GB/s is enough, they will be sure to keep that 5.5GB/s requirement is met.
Unless you assume Sony is going to backtrack on the 5.5GB/s M.2 thing, thats pretty much what we are gonna expect.

They arent gonna push that limit up to 6+GB/s

And even with PCIE5.0 the drive will still be limited by the speeds of PCIE4 because thats as fast as the port itself can function.
Thats not what they said. The Said 5.5GB is the MINIMUM recommended speed. If the game does not run properly to then move the game to the PS5 internal SSD to run properly, Your ignoring that. This comes down to understanding the essence of a fixed closed platforms that consoles are. The common denominator for the PS5 that Exclusives will target is 5.5GB with 6 priority levels. If you want to expand then go ahead, Cerny is not lying or joking when he said comparing M.2s to the PS5 SSD is comparing apples to oranges. Since M.2s only have 2 Priority levels, it needs a little more speed to compensate, but thats on a game by game basis. If you think Sony Exclusives for the duration of the Generation are going to design games with 5.5gb read speeds and only use 2 Priority levels and ignore the other 4, because maybe 10-15% will have M.2s installed and even a smaller portion of that Pie may have a M.2 not fast enough for an exclusive game 3 years from now, again your fooling yourself.

Either move the game to the internal SSD or Buy a faster M.2 as recommended.

Last edited:

Lysandros

So you think that Sony developed PS5's hardware heavy I/O complex and added a fast 5.5 GB/s SSD with all the resources and time requirements related to it just for masochistic reasons?

truth411

Highly doubtful at this point. 5.5 GB/s with only 2 priority levels is established as a base now (first parties included of course) by Sony's own admission by essentially retracting the earlier statement and giving up on their hyped tech innovation. I hate when companies compromise their vision like this and mislead expectations.
This is false, a M.2 with 5.5 GB read speed is the MINIMUM. If the game dont run properly then move it to the internal drive which they recommend.

Black_Stride

Thats not what they said. The Said 5.5GB is the MINIMUM recommended speed. If the game does not run properly to then move the game to the PS5 internal SSD to run properly, Your ignoring that. This comes down to understanding the essence of a fixed closed platforms that consoles are. The common denominator for the PS5 that Exclusives will target is 5.5GB with 6 priority levels. If you want to expand then go ahead, Cerny is not lying or joking when he said comparing M.2s to the PS5 SSD is comparing apples to oranges. Since M.2s only have 2 Priority levels, it needs a little more speed to compensate, but thats on a game by game basis. If you think Sony Exclusives for the duration of the Generation are going to design games with 5.5gb read speeds and only use 2 Priority levels and ignore the other 4, because maybe 10-15% will have M.2s installed and even a smaller portion of that Pie may have a M.2 not fast enough for an exclusive game 3 years from now, again your fooling yourself.

Either move the game to the internal SSD or Buy a faster M.2 as recommended.

Bookmarked this thread for when that developer shows up and says the PS5 SSD is the only way to run GameX.
But for the duration of the generation....and yes I may be fooling myself.

The 5.5GB/s threshold will hold true till Sony themselves start saying sorry when we said PS5 games would work on an M.2 we meant NOT all games.
Only some games will work.

At which point Sonys PR person probably needs to get fired once and for all.
Dont tell us we can do something if we cant actually do that.

But ill gladly eat crow if a game comes out that claims 5.5GB/s is too slow because of "priority levels".

P.S Pretty damn confident lest Sony backtracks every game will run on a 5.5GB/s M.2 just fine.

truth411

What PC didnt have is this which was a bottleneck for PC.
g1sVZCf.png
g1sVZCf.png

truth411

Bookmarked this thread for when that developer shows up and says the PS5 SSD is the only way to run GameX.
But for the duration of the generation....and yes I may be fooling myself.

The 5.5GB/s threshold will hold true till Sony themselves start saying sorry when we said PS5 games would work on an M.2 we meant NOT all games.
Only some games will work.

At which point Sonys PR person probably needs to get fired once and for all.
Dont tell us we can do something if we cant actually do that.

But ill gladly eat crow if a game comes out that claims 5.5GB/s is too slow because of "priority levels".

P.S Pretty damn confident lest Sony backtracks every game will run on a 5.5GB/s M.2 just fine.
The Bolded is a Mischaracterization, Just watch Cerny's Road to PS5, he talked about this. Exclusive down the line will to take advantage of having 6 priority levels, they are not going to just use 2 and ignore the other 4 till PS6 comes out. Thats a silly assesment.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

The Bolded is a Mischaracterization, Just watch Cerny's Road to PS5, he talked about this. Exclusive down the line will to take advantage of having 6 priority levels, they are not going to just use 2 and ignore the other 4 till PS6 comes out. Thats a silly assesment.

I will wait to eat crow when a game comes out that requires all 6 priority levels to run and basically forces gamers to install the game on the internal SSD.

You are assuming Sony were stupid to let games be played of the M.2 drive while also having a base requirement on 5.5GB/s?
Heck with NVMes having 4 priority levels devs arent stupid enough to lock out a system level feature due to lack 2 higher priority levels.
Further Cerny himself has said they will host side emulate the missing priority levels.
Likely why they chose 5.5GB/s cuz they know most of those drives will only need to emulate like another 2 levels if really really really needed.

If they wanted they could have said the M.2 is only for cold storage......but they said games can be played from there and the base they set it 5.5GB/s

So someone somewhere is either miscommunicating something or Sony is going back track the whole games can be played off M.2.

Lysandros

This is false, a M.2 with 5.5 GB read speed is the MINIMUM. If the game dont run properly then move it to the internal drive which they recommend.
Why not simply recommend a SSD with slightly higher read speed like 6 GB/s or 6.5 GB/s in line with the earlier statement to avoid issues and controversies like this then?

Max_Po

Banned
Will after reading some comments, and then on Reddit, I uninstalled the drive, put it in PC an updated firmware to 3B2QGXA7 via Samsung's software

... installed back in PS5 and the read speed is still 5600... F*** Samsung....

3liteDragon

I will wait to eat crow when a game comes out that requires all 6 priority levels to run and basically forces gamers to install the game on the internal SSD.
That’s not gonna happen. Cerny said in his talk that because of the priority level difference (6v2) between the PS5’s internal SSD & third-party NVMe SSDs, the M.2 you’re installing needs a “little extra speed” due to the different approach.

Cerny himself got a WD_SN850 which puts up a read speed of 6.5GB/s on average, which is 1GB/s ahead of the internal SSD, meaning that’s more than enough to make up for the priority lane difference. If you put it an M.2 that’s barely touching 5.5GB/s but still works, I think you’ll be just fine, maybe you MIGHT see one or two minor hitches or maybe you won’t. But if you haven’t gotten an M.2 yet, just get the WD_SN850 that Cerny got.

Last edited:

truth411

You are assuming Sony were stupid to let games be played of the M.2 drive while also having a base requirement on 5.5GB/s?
Heck with NVMes having 4 priority levels devs arent stupid enough to lock out a system level feature due to lack 2 higher priority levels.
Further Cerny himself has said they will host side emulate the missing priority levels.
Likely why they chose 5.5GB/s cuz they know most of those drives will only need to emulate like another 2 levels if really really really needed.

If they wanted they could have said the M.2 is only for cold storage......but they said games can be played from there and the base they set it 5.5GB/s

So someone somewhere is either miscommunicating something or Sony is going back track the whole games can be played off M.2.
Again this is a complete Mischaracterization and Misunderstanding the nature of having a Fixed platform. The PS5 was Designed with 6 Priority levels. It was designed with 6 priority levels to be used and not just for shits and giggles. IF YOU CHOOSE to expand your storage, then you can. No game currently are fully utilizing The PS5 SSD/IO, in 4 years when Exclusives will be pushing the SSD/IO hard, virtually all M.2s will be faster than 5.5GB read speeds of the PS5 to compensate for only having 2 Priority Levels.
Again Just watch Cernys Road to PS5 presentation on YouTube.

Black_Stride

Again this is a complete Mischaracterization and Misunderstanding the nature of having a Fixed platform. The PS5 was Designed with 6 Priority levels. It was designed with 6 priority levels to be used and not just for shits and giggles. IF YOU CHOOSE to expand your storage, then you can. No game currently are fully utilizing The PS5 SSD/IO, in 4 years when Exclusives will be pushing the SSD/IO hard, virtually all M.2s will be faster than 5.5GB read speeds of the PS5 to compensate for only having 2 Priority Levels.
Again Just watch Cernys Road to PS5 presentation on YouTube.

Ive watch the Road to PS5.
Cerny got an SN850 himself.

And he has mentioned emulating the missing priority levels.
The NVMe standard has 4 priority levels if you count Urgent....5 if you count Admin.
But thats neither here no there cuz till a game comes out that actually forces 5.5GB/s drives to "fail" or have really bad performance we are all speculating.

I just highly doubt Cerny would be so deep on this 5.5GB/s thing if 5.5GB/s was NOT enough.

But as I said I will be patiently waiting for that game that requires more.
As I said I bookmarked the post so I can serve myself that crow.

Till then we can keep going back and forth with no evidence or anyting to backup our claims.

Chiggs

Samsung 980 Pro owner here, using the latest firmware. Here's what I get:

nIuK4s2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom