• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS5] Samsung 980 Pro... barely faster than 5,500mb/sec?

AGRacing

Gold Member
How can you run the speed tests on the PS5? I am curious because I read that you can only do it once after install or something?
Once placing it back into my PS5, I just ran the format 3 consecutive times. I believe the option to format is in the storage section of settings. You must format to speed test... so you'll want the drive empty.

DJ12

yeah I’ll have to move some games. I guess saves are all stored on the internal.

I’ll look to sort it all tomorrow.
great news on the gen 3 port, thx for letting me know.
I updated mine today, and when I put it back in the ps5 everything was still on it. As long as you don't try and get windows to recognise it, you should be fine. I also did it via a gen 3 port.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I updated mine today, and when I put it back in the ps5 everything was still on it. As long as you don't try and get windows to recognise it, you should be fine. I also did it via a gen 3 port.

awesome, so just plug it in and use Samsung magician to flash it then put it back in.

sweet! Thanks for letting me know.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Sorry, one other q. What size ssd?
ijP9XcY.jpg

Come on, guy!

Consumer

With my friend's help, I finally updated the FW and got 6,500+ when I put it into the PS5

Taking apart his PC really sucked. We needed a hex key - which he didn't have - and we also couldn't fasten my M.2 because, just as I feared, he didn't have the screw 🤡

With my friend's help, I finally updated the FW and got 6,500+ when I put it into the PS5

Taking apart his PC really sucked. We needed a hex key - which he didn't have - and we also couldn't fasten my M.2 because, just as I feared, he didn't have the screw 🤡

And all of that could have been avoided if you had purchased the WD SN850 instead. :messenger_beaming:
Jokes aside. I'm glad you got it sorted out!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Glad you got there but that is strange. Did his motherboard not have a metal plate covering one of the M2 slots? They usually do and it’s held on by that screw usually.

Thinking about it the screw in the PS5 is the same sort I’m sure 😂

Last edited:
Glad you got there but that is strange. Did his motherboard not have a metal plate covering one of the M2 slots? They usually do and it’s held on by that screw usually.

Yeah the screws are the same. He could’ve used the one from the PS5 in the pc temporarily.

saintjules

Updated mine last night. Didn't format so couldn't check what the speeds were. I assume all is good though. I transferred 2 games and looks like they transferred in under 15 seconds.

Rayderism

I guess I need to update my Samsung 980 Pro 2TB then......it was manufactured May 2021. The initial format on my PS5 said 5711. Unfortunately, I only have a laptop with a single gen3 nvme port, and that's running the OS. This laptop does have a thunderbolt 3 port on it, but I don't have an enclosure for an nvme drive that uses a thunderbolt port, just a USB one.....sucks that it won't work to update the stupid SSD firmware. Kinda don't want to bother going out of my way to get a thunderbolt nvme enclosure just to use for a minute, one time, to update a drive that's likely fine as is. It was annoying enough to having to drive 20 miles out of my way just to get a heatsink for the damn thing.

Guess I'll find out if it will be fine as is (or not) at some point. What a PITA to even have to worry about this. Sigh....first-world problems, I guess.

Last edited:

Consumer

Only 2 of the 3 M2 slots were exposed, and neither of them had a metal plate - just the screw holder without the screw.

Even if my friend was willing to disembowel his PC even further to find the 3rd slot and it somehow had a cover + screw, I believe that M2 slot shares bandwidth with the SATA SSD containing the OS. So it would've created more problems than it solved

I guess I need to update my Samsung 980 Pro 2TB then......it was manufactured May 2021. The initial format on my PS5 said 5711. Unfortunately, I only have a laptop with a single gen3 nvme port, and that's running the OS. This laptop does have a thunderbolt 3 port on it, but I don't have an enclosure for an nvme drive that uses a thunderbolt port, just a USB one.....sucks that it won't work to update the stupid SSD firmware. Kinda don't want to bother going out of my way to get a thunderbolt nvme enclosure just to use for a minute, one time, to update a drive that's likely fine as is. It was annoying enough to having to drive 20 miles out of my way just to get a heatsink for the damn thing.

Guess I'll find out if it will be fine as is (or not) at some point. What a PITA to even have to worry about this. Sigh....first-world problems, I guess.
You can replace the NVMe drive with the PS5 drive, then boot to the bios and update it using a usb stick. Check Samsung’s website for how to make a firmware usb drive.

Top Bottom