• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 UI and services any improvements suggestion ?

MistBreeze

Ps5 is 1 year and a half in market now it added some asked features from community since ps4

Like:

-Time played in each game

-Better and faster store

-Trophy tracker

But it still needs some improvements and features

IMO it needs:

- some theming or accents customization

- cards needs improvements to make them desirable to use

- quick resume like feature

- region change like xbox ( most important )

Please discuss what ps5 Ui and system services improvements needed for ps5 to make it perfect

LordOfChaos

Definitely faster store...Being in a webview makes it not really feel like it's running on a modern Zen 2 core with plenty of RAM and a fast SSD. Decouple image loads from scrolling and text maybe.

ksdixon

We need to be able to remove more of those default buttons on the button press Control Center bottom menu. That menu itself needs the Search glass and Settings cog adding from the PS4's main menu's top layer.

Folders
Themes
Recolor the piss grey background. Give me PS4 blue and I'd probably like navigating my PS5 a bit more just due to that.

xHunter

- more customisation for the home button menu. I dont need a "Restart PS5" shortcut, so let me just remove it.
- ability to set an activity card as the default launch option when you click on the game.

wvnative

option to disable notifications for blocked recording sections in games.

add custom button assignment toggle to the accessibility quick menu

won't happen but, enable DUALSHOCK 4 in PS5 games

On Demand

Banned
Bring over all the social features PS4 has. It makes no sense why they were removed. You're suppose to be adding features not taken them away.

Communities (was removed from PS4 too)
Live From PlayStation (dedicated section for PlayStation streams, pictures and videos)
Event calendar
Whats New feed. (seeing what you're friends have done in games)
Internet Browser

PS5 feels too isolated. It's like Sony doesn't want you communicating with anybody on PS5 or doing anything directly from it.

That stupid game help is probably one of the reasons for this. Which you have to pay for.

bitbydeath

Just allow for custom tabs really, I’m already happy with the existing quick resume it has.

rF2gVSe.jpg

Quasicat

I want folders, it’s a pain in the ass to go to the game library and scroll down for half a minute on the external HDD. I really liked the way it worked on PS4, really wierd to not have that feature on PS5.

I loved having all of my game icons on the Home Screen. I knew where everything was and had the option to limit the icons on the Home Screen, now it’s forced. If I can’t have folders, then let me have that.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Like others had said have the os acknowledge that you have the PS5 upgrade installed and the put the PS4 installation in the options.
I understand why it pops up but have something there that knows you have a version of it installed.
Folders with cover options

Aranea

Only thing i want for now is Themes. I miss the option to customize the UI with the music and moving background of a certain game.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Christ, using the store is like going to get a rectal exam.

You have to do it, but you aren’t going to like the experience.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't get the "faster store. . ." bit. Is there a "store" anymore. I thought you just search a game and you get or go through their "Advertisement Feed" at the far left of the UI. Like PS4 had a dedicated PSN section, buying games on the PS5 is just so ingrained into the system UI I feel.

. . .maybe it just because I've never needed to browse for a game.

You can see how long you've played each game? Did not know that. How?

Under GAMES on your profile. It shows trophy progress and time played for all your games (not sure if it just syncs for PS5 playtime though).

TwiztidElf

A couple of responses have already mentioned it.
I know it is an unpopular one, but for me, I just want the activity feed back. I like it.

The folks saying the store is slow and confusing clearly haven't used the Nintendo eShop. :D

Last edited:

Lillie

I think the store needs to be better organized regarding classics like PS1, PS2, etc. It places PS2 games under PS4 for example.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't get the "faster store. . ." bit. Is there a "store" anymore. I thought you just search a game and you get or go through their "Advertisement Feed" at the far left of the UI. Like PS4 had a dedicated PSN section, buying games on the PS5 is just so ingrained into the system UI I feel.

. . .maybe it just because I've never needed to browse for a game.

Under GAMES on your profile. It shows trophy progress and time played for all your games (not sure if it just syncs for PS5 playtime though).

I mean, there is a Store section in the main menu, but yes, it's now integrated in the UI rather than being a separate application. Much better.

Cool, thanks.

ksdixon

PS5 PStore is trash. I know I'm on a PS5, but it's the PS4 version of this game I have installed, the PS4 addon page I'm trying to see going round the cycle of pages.

I have had to find the last 3 pieces of WWE 2022 DLC on the website pstore, tell that to open in the PS App, download it to the console.

I understand I'm making it more difficult by using PS4 crap on a PS5, I guess? But c'mon! XB doesn't seem to have these issues.

- Option to place more game tiles on the Home Screen.

- Sort trophy lists options (alphabetically, rarity, etc.); expanded visualization reporting (charts, as an example)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Web browser and 8K support. The ability to display all your installed games in the main bar (they did increase the number of games that can be showed there though)

Gamerguy84

Integrate dual screens since it can obviously do it. Sometimes I want to have YT on a small side screen and my game on the big one. Since we're doing that how about adding Discord to the same, even twitch.

Imtjnotu

I wish there was a way like Xbox had to install any disc game to the system ssd

I don't like switching disks anymore

RCU005

Get rid of the ridiculous small card when selecting a trophy to view it. They already have a much better view when comparing trophies with someone else. They should just apply it!

R6Rider

Gold Member
Better store organization, folders, themes.

Wouldn't mind being able to directly access a specific party/group from the quick menu.

Multi-output for audio like the PS3 had would be fantastic.

I want my PS4 OS back. Overall the PS5 OS, while improving a few things, is much worse than what we had on PS4.

Most of the new "features" are useless and complicate things.

nowhat

I'm not sure if it's just me, but in my experience when waking up from rest mode, PS5 takes waaaay longer to re-establish a network connection than PS4 did. I use wired connection too, so it should be pretty much instant. So if a game requires being online for no particularly good reason (*cough*GT7*cough*) and I don't want to wait several minutes, I have to go to settings and test the network connection - once that's over, it's all good. But I shouldn't need to do that.

TLZ

Banned
I want to one-click press R2 to jump far right straight to My Library, instead of scrolling all the way to the right. Or at least let me move My Library to the far left next to PS Plus and Store.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Folders and being able to pin games or choose the order that they are sorted like on Xbox (alphabetical order, last played, by system, by download size etc)

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Game library custom categorisation (like Xbox pins). Don't limit me to 1 game 1 folder, but even that would be an improvement.

Top Bottom