• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5: VRR Update Is Reportedly Coming In December

Status
Not open for further replies.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Sony is planning to introduce the long-awaited VRR update not only for the PS5 in December, but for all compatible TVs that will then also receive the upgrade. The President of Value Electronics is now explaining why the whole thing is taking so long to come.

PS5 VRR update coming in December 2021?​

In an interview with Robert Zohn, Founder of Value Electronics, who goes apparently deeper into the matter, some changes to the CEC protocol (Consumer Electronics Control) are coming up, including the CEC-Link, Arc, and eArc. Their specifications are updated within HDMI, which Sony would like to wait and see before finally implementing VRR etc.

“I spoke a little bit on the side about the long-awaited upgrade to Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) on the x900h and x90 and x95 and all the other 2021 TVs (most recent Sony TV models with HDMI 2.1), and that’s still on target for December this year”, said Zohn. “What they are waiting for is HDMI is going to be updating some of their specs on CEC. The CEC link is going to be changing and so is ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel). There will be some protocol changes in the way that HDMI is configuring that and Sony engineers want to wait and see. They have one firmware update for that.”

What is ruled out is that there are also problems within the chips here, as was the case recently with the HDMI boards of some audio manufacturers, which were actually due to the hardware. That definitely is ruled out by Sony. In this respect, buyers of the previous year’s XH-9xxx models do not have to worry about it.

As is so often the case, it is a problem of a lack of communication in which one simply leaves customers in the dark as to why the promised features are not being upgraded.

PS5: VRR Update Will Be Available Reportedly in December (technclub.com)

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Sony is planning to introduce the long-awaited VRR update not only for the PS5 in December, but for all compatible TVs that will then also receive the upgrade. The President of Value Electronics is now explaining why the whole thing is taking so long to come.

In an interview with Robert Zohn, Founder of Value Electronics, who goes apparently deeper into the matter, some changes to the CEC protocol (Consumer Electronics Control) are coming up, including the CEC-Link, Arc, and eArc. Their specifications are updated within HDMI, which Sony would like to wait and see before finally implementing VRR etc.

“I spoke a little bit on the side about the long-awaited upgrade to Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) on the x900h and x90 and x95 and all the other 2021 TVs (most recent Sony TV models with HDMI 2.1), and that’s still on target for December this year”, said Zohn. “What they are waiting for is HDMI is going to be updating some of their specs on CEC. The CEC link is going to be changing and so is ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel). There will be some protocol changes in the way that HDMI is configuring that and Sony engineers want to wait and see. They have one firmware update for that.”

What is ruled out is that there are also problems within the chips here, as was the case recently with the HDMI boards of some audio manufacturers, which were actually due to the hardware. That definitely is ruled out by Sony. In this respect, buyers of the previous year’s XH-9xxx models do not have to worry about it.

As is so often the case, it is a problem of a lack of communication in which one simply leaves customers in the dark as to why the promised features are not being upgraded.

The bolded is normal Sony at work here. This is good news at least.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Great but most games are 60 or 30 anyway.
And VRR only makes some sense above 40 and ideally above 60.
Otherwise it causes some gamma change or flicker on my tv (lg oled). But that's only an issue if there is a drastic fps change.
I wish 120hz mode would be possible to be used for 60fps games too. Because of lower lag and these tv's only have proper gamma at 120hz.

As far as 4k monitors go. Most have 40-60hz vrr and it disables below 40..
And ps5 does not support 4k @120hz full color

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Otherwise it causes some gamma change or flicker on my tv (lg oled). But that's only an issue if there is a drastic fps change.
I wish 120hz mode would be possible to be used for 60fps games too. Because of lower lag and these tv's only have proper gamma at 120hz.

As far as 4k monitors go. Most have 40-60hz vrr and it disables below 40.
True. I can see the new 40fps option in R&C:RA get boosted from VRR, so good news none the less.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Im Laughing So Hard Shia Labeouf GIF

Trogdor1123

I can wait a bit more. I want to get a new 4k 120 Hz tv with vrr in the next year or 2. Don't mind waiting for better quality and more selection

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I can wait a bit more. I want to get a new 4k 120 Hz tv with vrr in the next year or 2. Don't mind waiting for better quality and more selection
Don't get too excited. Most TV's with real HDR have issues with vrr like flicker or gamma change as the backlight is usually calibrated to run at 120hz.
On pc it's less of an issue if You can run more/less stable fps abve 60. I can't notice any issues whatsoever when a game runs 70-90 fps but if it jumps 50-90-120-40... the brightness changes. Or when the game goes 60-27-40, it will flicker if it's aggressive.
Generaly VRR is an unsolved topic for OLEDS and real hdr lcd dsplays. PErfectly fine on shit hdr pc monitors with no zones though.

Sony could at leas allow for ALWAYS 120hz, no matter what fps lock

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

As far as 4k monitors go. Most have 40-60hz vrr and it disables below 40..
And ps5 does not support 4k @120hz full color

Why would VRR not be useful otherwise? If the game can run at 35fps with VRR, how is that not better than 30? Or if the game struggles to maintain 60, how is 55fps with no stutter not better than v-synced 60 that keeps dropping?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why would VRR not be useful otherwise? If the game can run at 35fps with VRR, how is that not better than 30? Or if the game struggles to maintain 60, how is 55fps with no stutter not better than v-synced 60 that keeps dropping?
55 is perfectly fine. 35 is a dangerous threshold for most vrr devices. It's in lfc territory or not supported territory
Anyway, 35 or 55, oleds will suffer gamma issues. I see no reasons for games not to have 30,40, 60 and unlocked options.
And allow ps5 to always run in 120hz.

I wonder what is the lag comparison (gamma and flicker aside).
40 at 120hz
40 with VRR on the same TV/Monitor

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Eh.. nobody at AVS seems particularly impressed with this guy as a source lol

And.. having to do with an update to HDMI-CEC? Huh? lol

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I’m sure it will happen eventually but it’s not the first time it’s rumored to happen:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hardly see any link between CEC and VRR. In fact on xbox you can turn off CEC and still have VRR...

The VRR communication probably still happens over CEC even if you disable the rest of it. The console has to tell the TV somehow right? And I don't think this can happen just through the video signal, but maybe I'm wrong.

Trogdor1123

Don't get too excited. Most TV's with real HDR have issues with vrr like flicker or gamma change as the backlight is usually calibrated to run at 120hz.
On pc it's less of an issue if You can run more/less stable fps abve 60. I can't notice any issues whatsoever when a game runs 70-90 fps but if it jumps 50-90-120-40... the brightness changes. Or when the game goes 60-27-40, it will flicker if it's aggressive.
Generaly VRR is an unsolved topic for OLEDS and real hdr lcd dsplays. PErfectly fine on shit hdr pc monitors with no zones though.

Sony could at leas allow for ALWAYS 120hz, no matter what fps lock
Appreciate the feedback, hopefully in a few years this will be worked through

sircaw

Banned

Statement from Riky Riky after the month of December, I always thought VRR was overrated "lollipop_disappointed:

What I take from this that Sony is holding back the VRR update because their TV's aren't ready. I guess they don't want to loose television sales to the competition so they are going to make everyone with a PS5 wait until they have their Televisions VRR ready before they allow the PS5 to work with any other VRR capable TV.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Buy how many people are buying $2000 tvs to plug their PS5 into?
Idk. I didn't had this problem on 4k lg 27uk650 ips monitor. But it had no local dimming hdr and only 40-60hz range.
Most TVS do have hdr though but only more expensive models have hte vrr troublesome fald. Oleds are 1200usd already.
I would say, if someone has ps5, I feel it is more likely they want it on a nice expensive tv

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why the obsession everyone has with DV?
I've watched netflix movies with DV and plenty of hdr10 movies on pc and I don't see any major advantages of any.
I would say fuck Dolby and their proprietary crap. Everyone has to pay for this. It's not "free" as hdr10

They could let people that want DV buy it for £5 from their store? I'd buy it.

Elios83

This sounds like it has more to do with their TVs than with PS5.
Even if it makes some sense that the company might not want to push with their console a feature that is still not available/enabled on their premium TVs, I don't think that's the real reason behing the lack of VRR support.
The actual reason is that VRR is simply not a priority for them, it's something that only a minority of their users will benefit from and most people don't even know what it is so with tons of things they can do to improve the PS5 OS they don't feel that's a priority.
Ironically they should feel more pressed to support 8K output since it's written in plain sight on the console box and they have 8K TVs available right now yet PS5 is still missing the feature.

Also this is bit off topic...but how it's possible that Google still hasn't updated the Youtube PS5 app with HDR support? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom