• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 will outsell Xbox Series consoles 2-to-1 this year, Ampere Analysis forecasts

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
are very rare cases genrally exposure on stuff like twitch are VERY important and as YouTube are a good barometer to understand how much a product is desired or wanted ... the same can be said about Twitch tv
It's not rare.

World of Warcraft has more than Apex Legends.
Apex Legends barely has more than Dota 2
Rocket League has nearly more than double the views as Call of Duty Warzone
Genshin Impact only has 300 more viewers than Sea of Thieves despite it being a more popular title
Forza 5 has far less viewers than F1 2021 despite being less popular
Warframe has less than Street Fighter V and only 30 more viewers than Tekken 7 while being a much more popular multiplayer title.
StarCraft II has 4.1k viewers while the multiplayer is practically dead.
New World has less than Age of Empires IV when it has more than double the player count concurrently.
NBA 2K 100 less than Age of Empires when the game is on more platforms with a larger concurrent player count.

You said this happens on rare occasions without doing an ounce of research. Many Xbox gamers on here have a strange habit of going with their feelings over facts.

SLB1904

Banned
Keep wondering...

bobsburgers-fox.gif

Kagey K

Banned
Yep.

Most people here already own the consoles they want or have decided which one (or ones) they will be picking up but come in and fight about this, like it makes and difference to them on a micro or macro level.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
🤡
NeoGAF voice of impartiality...
I don't claim to be impartial, never have.

I don't come in and argue about whether or not it matters if it outsells it 3:1, 2:1, 1:75:1 or any other fucking ratio because it doesn't matter, regardless of personal bias.

🤡

I don't claim to be impartial, never have.

I don't come in and argue about whether or not it matters if it outsells it 3:1, 2:1, 1:75:1 or any other fucking ratio because it doesn't matter, regardless of personal bias.

🤡
You just come in and shit post some virtue signalling BS.
Gotcha!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yea, after Sonys results. This ain’t happening in 2022 unless microsoft seriously screws up.

these chip shortages are ruining everyone’s numbers.

ZywyPL

Banned
I don't see it happening - last year Sony had a headstart due to MS supplying xCloud servers with the chips instead of consoles, and supposedly Sony finished designing and started manufacturing their console earlier, but this year the odds are even and MS has gained traction, whether because of Halo/Forza, GP or MS' acquisitions, both consoles go toe to toe now and the supply will play the main role before everything else.

Sony is going to be the sales leader between PS5 and MS. The PS3 finished strong and the PS4 dominated due to MS missteps and having a very strong first party lineup and 3rd party deals. MS is rebounding now so I suspect sales are going to be a lot closer than we realize when it’s all over with, and this is with MS so far lacking a lot of exclusive content. When the fruits of the Bethesda deal start to pay off and the other studios release more games, I see MS as very competitive.

Sony is going to be the sales leader between PS5 and MS. The PS3 finished strong and the PS4 dominated due to MS missteps and having a very strong first party lineup and 3rd party deals. MS is rebounding now so I suspect sales are going to be a lot closer than we realize when it’s all over with, and this is with MS so far lacking a lot of exclusive content. When the fruits of the Bethesda deal start to pay off and the other studios release more games, I see MS as very competitive.

Whats closer to you? I think xbox selling 80-85 million consoles would put it in line with the 360 again but if the ps5 does ps4 numbers it doesn’t make a huge difference for competition

Whats closer to you? I think xbox selling 80-85 million consoles would put it in line with the 360 again but if the ps5 does ps4 numbers it doesn’t make a huge difference for competition
Series X|S is already selling better than any previous Xbox so it shouldn’t be difficult to sell more than the 360, especially since gaming is way bigger today than it’s ever been. I’m no analyst but 90+ million seams logical short of some amazing misstep. PS5 will probably sell more or about the same as PS4. Should be tougher to match those same numbers tho since there is a clear #2 option now, but who knows.

Ozriel

M$FT

It does make a huge difference for competition if the numbers end up in those ballpark ranges. Much better than the previous generation and a strong enough footing that neither party can afford complacency or egregious business moves going into the next generation.

Now to await the Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ lol emoji

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It does make a huge difference for competition if the numbers end up in those ballpark ranges. Much better than the previous generation and a strong enough footing that neither party can afford complacency or egregious business moves going into the next generation.

The great thing about this gen is PS5 and XSX are so evenly matched. Pricing is mostly the same, power delta has proven largely irrelevant and all that is left is games and while Xbox is playing a little catchup, their offering looks to be on par in the following months. So yeah, I agree with you completely. Neither can take the other for granted.

The great thing about this gen is PS5 and XSX are so evenly matched. Pricing is mostly the same, power delta has proven largely irrelevant and all that is left is games and while Xbox is playing a little catchup, their offering looks to be on par in the following months. So yeah, I agree with you completely. Neither can take the other for granted.
I think brand power and the fact thay Xbox largely doesn't exist outside of NA, UK, and Latin America will result in the PS5 selling significantly more in any circumstance.

Topher

Gold Member
I think brand power and the fact thay Xbox largely doesn't exist outside of NA, UK, and Latin America will result in the PS5 selling significantly more in any circumstance.

Very well could be the case, but my gut tells me it won't be two to one like last gen. And I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox takes NA in the end, but only if Microsoft delivers the games that are expected and they are as good as they have been hyped.

Kacho

Gold Member
Series X|S is already selling better than any previous Xbox so it shouldn’t be difficult to sell more than the 360, especially since gaming is way bigger today than it’s ever been. I’m no analyst but 90+ million seams logical short of some amazing misstep. PS5 will probably sell more or about the same as PS4. Should be tougher to match those same numbers tho since there is a clear #2 option now, but who knows.
How many Xbox consoles have been sold so far? I was under the impression it was between 15-20 million and we’re already two years into the generation. Unless there’s a huge shift in demand 90 million seems highly unlikely.

How many Xbox consoles have been sold so far? I was under the impression it was between 15-20 million and we’re already two years into the generation. Unless there’s a huge shift in demand 90 million seems highly unlikely.
https://www.purexbox.com/news/2022/...0-million-sales-according-to-latest-estimates

It’s just an estimate. Series consoles are selling better than the 360 which sold 80 million units. Stands to reason at this rate it’s not impossible or even unlikely to hit 90 million, especially when consoles spent their launch window more constrained than they should have, etc.

I don’t care one way or the other.

Woopah

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2022/...0-million-sales-according-to-latest-estimates

It’s just an estimate. Series consoles are selling better than the 360 which sold 80 million units. Stands to reason at this rate it’s not impossible or even unlikely to hit 90 million, especially when consoles spent their launch window more constrained than they should have, etc.

I don’t care one way or the other.

Xbox 360 had a very unusual sales curve due to a late life boom it got from Kinect. Xbox Series will also need a late life boom like that if it wants to stay ahead of the 360.

iHaunter

COD will NOT be exclusive to Xbox, and Game pass fans should be happy about this. Microsoft can subsidize the investment of much more interesting IPs that also came with the acquisition, or elsewhere in their growing catalog, with earnings from a multi platform COD. This is literally the same strategy Sony has used to develop their world class IP catalog.

Thank God Microsoft isn't as short-sighted as some of the takes going on around here.
Microsoft can't afford to GP everything and exclusively have everything on Xbox. Phil borrowed money from Microsoft, Xbox division doesn't have that kind of dough.

Xbox 360 had a very unusual sales curve due to a late life boom it got from Kinect. Xbox Series will also need a late life boom like that if it wants to stay ahead of the 360.
Yeah maybe but who really knows. There are more consumers now who buy things so there is that as well.

jm89

Seems PS5 outsold xbox by less than 100k in the USA and UK? Either way, there was no 2-1 drubbing anywhere.
Japan doesn't exist? Where ps5 outsold xbox lifetime last month alone. Also spainish sales are very close to 2 to 1 this year and i expect other places in europe to be the same, also i fully expect spanish sales to go 2 to 1 only thing holding back is stock issues in mainland europe.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Has the narrative changed from “Games sell consoles” now?

Top Bottom