• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 will outsell Xbox Series consoles 2-to-1 this year, Ampere Analysis forecasts

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ampere research director Piers Harding-Rolls has forecast 18 million sales for Sony’s console in 2022 and nine million sales for Microsoft’s systems.

However, he expects Switch to be the year’s leading console with 21 million sales.

“It looks like the availability of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles is going to improve slowly over the year and our expectation is that Sony will outsell Microsoft two-to-one,” said Harding-Rolls.

“But actually the biggest selling console in the market is going to be Nintendo Switch at 21 million units, and that will be driven by demand for the new Nintendo Switch OLED.”

ParaSeoul

high-five-walter-white.gif

Elios83

Sony stated that this would be their biggest fiscal year ever surpassing their PS2 record of 22.4m units in a single year.
The point is if they're actually going to be able to secure so many parts.
It's likely that they will miss the already lower target of 14.8m for FY2021 +7.8m in FY2020 = 22.6m by the end of March 2022.
We'll find out during their next fiscal report.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
2023 on the other hand….

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+
2023 is the proxy start for the next generation. Microsoft is going to have to find a way to redefine COD for next gen if there intent is to capture console market share from Sony.
Do not expect them to succeed on IP name recognition alone. This probably would have worked if the deal occurred in 2019 but not now. Also, 2023 = Spiderman 2 which is undoubtedly a console seller.

I think Microsoft hopes to expand the console market as in you see more people have both consoles in their house. That is a difficult task but would be a win win for gaming.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't see being able to walk into a store and buy either for the rest of this year, so it's pretty meaningless still.

You already can with the Series S. I don't know what the manufacturing split is between the S and the X, but I do think MS were a bit overconfident in the S and could have sold more of the X had they allotted more resources to its production, which might have given Sony a smaller lead overall. The S will make more sense when the hardcore early adopters (who want the X or a PS5) start to dry up.

Last edited:
You already can with the Series S. I don't know what the manufacturing split is between the S and the X, but I do think MS were a bit overconfident in the S and could have sold more of the X had they allotted more resources to its production, which might have given Sony a smaller lead overall. The S will make more sense when the hardcore early adopters start to dry up.
Not where I live. I've never seen a PS5, PS5 Digital, Series X or Series S in a store.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not where I live. I've never seen a PS5, PS5 Digital, Series X or Series S in a store.

Alright, well, in Europe that's definitely the case. PS5 = almost impossible to get, XSX = difficult but not impossible to get (you will be overpaying for it though), XSS = generally easy to get. And I've read accounts of the S being readily available in stores in NA too, which has never once been the case with the X or PS5.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I mean, it's kinda expected.
PS4 has a bigger fanbase, so most of them will naturally move on to PS5.

That's another reason why Microsoft won't stop releasing games on other platforms, such as COD, Minecraft, etc.

That's some serious professional denial there, the very reason to stop putting Cod on ps5 would be to attract those gamers over to xbox. Ms didn't buy Activision to make sure Sony continues to sell consoles, It's not complicated.

Last edited:

skit_data

I’m not sure the difference will be that big. I expect the Xbox series consoles to sell roughly 2/3 of PS5 number unless Sony improves the production speed of PS5.

Roxkis_ii

I don't see being able to walk into a store and buy either for the rest of this year, so it's pretty meaningless still.
Actually Ps5's have been raining like candy in the the last week (in the US at least). Walmart and Target had Ps5's drop this week and gamestop even had two drops, even though they were bundles. 🤮

All my friends that wanted one got one this year.
Even the resell market has dried up. If you want one, now would be the time.

That's some serious professional denial there, the very reason to stop putting Cod on ps5 would be to attract those gamers over to xbox. Ms didn't buy Activision to make sure Sony continues to sell consoles, It's not complicated.
Not quite. The reason is one word. GamePass. That's the driving factor for all Microsoft gaming decisions.

Actually Ps5's have been raining like candy in the the last week (in the US at least). Walmart and Target had Ps5's drop this week and gamestop even had two drops, even though they were bundles. 🤮

All my friends that wanted one got one this year.
Even the resell market has dried up. If you want one, now would be the time.
Please send a link to where I can buy a PS5 today. Bundle or otherwise.

A story that "Walmart will be getting a shipment of PS5s next week" does not PS5s are or will be available.

Last edited:

RespawnX

Today's ratio is more like 40/60 right? I don't see any changes here with Starfield, Forza Motorsport and Stalker 2.
Both sides have strong lineup this year but lot of people can't get PS5 in stores. So Horizon and God of War won't have any impact in sales, demand is already higher than the supply
As long as Microsoft has Series S available as fallback and chip shortage goes on, ratio won't change that much.
Maybe 2023, but with future Activision-Blizzard Games joining Microsoft ...

Lognor

Banned
I mean, it's kinda expected.
PS4 has a bigger fanbase, so most of them will naturally move on to PS5.

That's another reason why Microsoft won't stop releasing games on other platforms, such as COD, Minecraft, etc.
But both Microsoft and Sony are selling every console (not including Series S) they they can manufacture. It is just that Sony is able to manufacture more of them.

And we can expect some of those PS5 buyers to reconsider now that COD will be exclusive to Xbox. Sony will still sell every console they can make this year, but it will be more toward the PS die hards and not the casual gamers. Those casual gamers are moving to Xbox.

V4skunk

Banned

Ampere research director Piers Harding-Rolls has forecast 18 million sales for Sony’s console in 2022 and nine million sales for Microsoft’s systems.

However, he expects Switch to be the year’s leading console with 21 million sales.

“It looks like the availability of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles is going to improve slowly over the year and our expectation is that Sony will outsell Microsoft two-to-one,” said Harding-Rolls.

“But actually the biggest selling console in the market is going to be Nintendo Switch at 21 million units, and that will be driven by demand for the new Nintendo Switch OLED.”
I seriously doubt it when you can't even buy a ps5.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
But both Microsoft and Sony are selling every console (not including Series S) they they can manufacture. It is just that Sony is able to manufacture more of them.

And we can expect some of those PS5 buyers to reconsider now that COD will be exclusive to Xbox. Sony will still sell every console they can make this year, but it will be more toward the PS die hards and not the casual gamers. Those casual gamers are moving to Xbox.

COD will NOT be exclusive to Xbox, and Game pass fans should be happy about this. Microsoft can subsidize the investment of much more interesting IPs that also came with the acquisition, or elsewhere in their growing catalog, with earnings from a multi platform COD. This is literally the same strategy Sony has used to develop their world class IP catalog.

Thank God Microsoft isn't as short-sighted as some of the takes going on around here.

Deerock71

This chip shortage has actually kneecapped Sony way worse than Microsoft, since the DEMAND WAS SO MUCH MORE INSANELY HIGH FOR A PS5 THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE MILKY WAY GALAXY. Now with this announcement, the odds are a bit of those insanely high demands have been let out of the sails of the SS Sony and shifted ever so slightly in Microsoft's direction. For the same 500 bones, you can have a Series S and 2-3 years of Game Pass and Day 1 CoD. Savvy shoppers might reconsider.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not quite. The reason is one word. GamePass. That's the driving factor for all Microsoft gaming decisions.

There hasn't been any indications to date that ms would allow gamepass on PS5. I'll never say never, but the cut Sony or Nintendo would want is likely a prohibitive factor. Ms is way more likely more content to control their own sandbox and collect 100%.

Top Bottom