• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 will outsell Xbox Series consoles 2-to-1 this year, Ampere Analysis forecasts

PS5 is going to sell whatever they can manage to manufacture this year because PS4 won last gen and had lots of great exclusive games. And people want more of that. Xbox on the other hand, had a pretty shitty end of gen in terms of exclusives. Now they have bought lots of studios and they are going to have a flow of exclusive games starting in 2023. But until then it's going to be rough before people notices the games and xbox sales bounce back up.
Starfield is in 2022 and it's way bigger than anything playstation will release this year

Swift_Star

Banned
No, that's Nintendo. Nintendo has the best talent in the business. Look at all their 20m+ sellers. Far more than Sony. Better sales = better talent

Sony is becoming more and more the single player cinematic game machine. Oh and fighting games too I guess now that they own the fighting game tournament. Yay?
I love how the irony is lost in that reply.
That is still debatable. I would say Nintendo is right up there with successful new IPs. Yes, they do rely on older IP a lot (maybe too much), but they've had two more newer IPs I can think of that have been hugely successful - Splatoon and Ring Fit. For Sony, Horizon is one that has sold over $10M, but I can't think of any other new IPs from Sony that have been that successful unless we go further back to the PS3 days. Got might be at $10M....not sure on that.
what successful new IP does Nintendo have? Splatoon. Sony created multiple 10 million seller ip in the last decade.

Last edited:

Spitfire098

Uncharted
Uncharted with zombies
Uncharted with a different type of zombie
Uncharted with dino robots
Uncharted with samurai
Uncharted with vikings
Uncharted with UPS
?
It's quite an impressive list, I agree.
Stephen Curry Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I would love to know how many xbox gamers are on pc to really know what's going on, any hard numbers on that for 2021?

I mean, it's kinda expected.
PS4 has a bigger fanbase, so most of them will naturally move on to PS5.

That's another reason why Microsoft won't stop releasing games on other platforms, such as COD, Minecraft, etc.
No, that’s another reason why MS could, will, would , and probably will stop releasing COD on there so they can move to the Xbox. Just like how casuals moved from the 360 to PS4. That’s why Skyrim 6 and those games are Xbox only (consoles).Call of Duty is a system seller, and they’ll be stupid to not think it is.

They won't stop.
This gen has already started, the ship has already sailed. Microsoft will only focus on full exclusivity starting next gen, when they abandon hardware and move to cloud only streaming.

Making their games exclusive NOW is a bad choice. There's more money to get from software sales than hardware sales.
There's a lot more people buying PS5s than Xboxes, and this won't change for this gen. Playstation userbase is bigger, thus more sales for multiplat franchises.

Next gen what will probably happen is that both Sony and Microsoft will move to cloud streaming, and THEN all those acquisitions by Microsoft will weight against what Sony will have to offer (probably games from all previous gens alongside their exclusives)
We’ll have to wait and see about that. I don’t see Consoles going anywhere soon. The PS6 is already in production according to Job listings. As far as xbox here’s a quote Liz Hamren, CVP of Gaming Experiences & Platforms, said Microsoft was already working on new hardware, "some of which won't come to light for years." Platforms = consoles because Microsoft don’t make TVs so expect another Xbox as well. The quarter earnings of MS came out and hardware sells were up. Once the parts become cheaper they will start making profit on the hardware itself, so they can have both software and hardware revenue.

isoRhythm

Banned
Uncharted
Uncharted with zombies
Uncharted with a different type of zombie
Uncharted with dino robots
Uncharted with samurai
Uncharted with vikings
Uncharted with UPS
?
It's quite an impressive list, I agree.
Games with good production quality are now all Uncharted? My guy you just compared death stranding with uncharted...

Found this quote

Could also mean a portable PC like the Steam Deck but mostly for streaming.
Or some sort of Xbox Series Pro for this gen.
That shit sound raw 👀 they really are trying to be the “Netflix” of gaming. I still think it’ll be a while before they completely stop making consoles though. They’ll still make money off the hardware eventually and plus not all gamers prefer digital games.

Kagey K

Banned
That shit sound raw 👀 they really are trying to be the “Netflix” of gaming. I still think it’ll be a while before they completely stop making consoles though. They’ll still make money off the hardware eventually and plus not all gamers prefer digital games.
Yeah. Both you guys missed the first part of her quote.

According to a video briefing shown to the press, Hamren said: “Cloud is key to our hardware and Game Pass roadmaps, but no one should think we’re slowing down on our core console engineering. In fact, we’re accelerating it.
Xbox consoles aren't going away soon.

MonarchJT

Banned
there is also it should also be taken into consideration that many of the chips for series x produced are finished for most of the year on Xcloud. the switch to the new console is finished there will be an increment of stock available in 2022.
Playstation will sell more...as the brand is more recognized...2:1? I don't think so ... the Xbox is clearly recovering in terms of image on the market. That said, we know that mirosoft adopts the day one model on PC they don't need the same number of Sony console to be able to do the same games sales (or better) plus they also have gamepass. The PlayStation had to use the first few years of launch to create a gap that would bend the market to its will (a bit like what happened with the PS4) before Microsoft's first party studios managed to pump new releases one after the other (given the difference in numbers between Sony and Ms first party).The slow production of the consoles prevented Sony from doing it and now ... after mid-2022 Gamepass will be bombarded with exclusives and from then on, an uphill road for Sony begins.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

that might be always true but my cheap series S is my go to console for anything GP, backward compatibility and movies. It's simply a more user friendly console . It's intuitive and does what I prefer over my PS5. Bing internet is really performant and can stream movies right off the bat. The apps has huge icon and everything is in your face.Quick resume for gaming is a no turning back for me also.

And it's the Series S, not even the Series X.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You referenced 360 sales, which hit 10M after 2 holiday seasons.
Since it's 'over' 10M that gives us a lower bound of 6.5M in 2021.

We dont know, because we dont know how much it sold.
People are confusing fiscal year with actual year

The playstation 5 is around 18-19m LTD right now
Sonys own targets where 15million by march 2022.

reksveks

Sonys own targets where 15million by march 2022.
So that was March 21 to March 22. By march 21, they had sold 7.8m ps5. They are probably close to 18m. Currently they are on 13.6m (reported until Sept 21) .

I am trying to figure out what the might mean for a YoY number.

Assuming that Sony matches Xbox 4% YoY HW revenue growth (cause the extra two months)

PS 'Q4' for 2020, they shipped 4.5M so assuming that 4% growth, they would have shipped 4.7m last quarter so 18.3M LTD.

Pro for Sony unit numbers:
- extra month (6 weeks) for selling PS5's Cons for the revenue number in terms of reporting:
- the JPY is 15% weaker
Cons for the unit numbers:
- Sony is technically down YoY in JP ~20% (212k 2020 which is 5% of their global unit sales, 169k this year). I think that's probably more of a factor of redistributing units to different countries.

k69AQj1.png

Ignore the -100% on the Sony column.

Last edited:
So that was March 21 to March 22. By march 21, they had sold 7.8. They are probably close to 18m. Currently on 13.6m reported until Sept 21.

Trying to figure out what the might mean for a YoY number.

using Xbox 4% YoY HW revenue growth (cause the extra two months)

PS 'Q4' was 4.5M so assuming that's a 4% growth = 4.7m so 18.3M LTD if the Average Unit Price stays constant.

Pro for Sony unit numbers, extra month (6 weeks) for selling PS5's. Cons for the revenue number in terms of reporting is that the JPY is 15% weaker.
Dude what are you even saying ?

reksveks

Dude what are you even saying ?
- That 15m was their target for their financial year of 21.
- In their FY of 20, they shipped 7.8m
- LTD shipments is 13.6m (but that will be updated next week)
- Using MS growth numbers, its close to 18.3m if Sony's average price hasn't massively change.

That's on the estimated shipments that we should be expecting.

The pro's and con's are just factors that might throw things off.

Last edited:
- That 15m was their target for their financial year of 21.
- In their FY of 20, they shipped 7.8m
- LTD shipments is 13.6m (but that will be updated next week)
- Using MS growth numbers, its close to 18.3m if Sony's average price hasn't massively change.

That's on the estimated shipments that we should be expecting.

The pro's and con's are just factors that might throw things off.
Sonys own projections were 15 mil by March of this year. It’s not physically feasible for them to have sold 18 mil. How are they gonna sell more than they can produce ?

reksveks

Sonys own projections were 15 mil by March of this year. It’s not physically feasible for them to have sold 18 mil. How are they gonna sell more than they can produce ?
The projection was for the financial year, the 18m people are estimating are lifetime to date aka including the 7.8m in the previous financial year.

March '21 to March '22 projected : 15m
Sept* '21 to Feb '21 actual: 7.8m

When people say 18m, they are talking Sept* to December '21.

I will add that I think their projection is still too high by 1-2m

Last edited:

Sosokrates

So that was March 21 to March 22. By march 21, they had sold 7.8m ps5. They are probably close to 18m. Currently they are on 13.6m (reported until Sept 21) .

I am trying to figure out what the might mean for a YoY number.

Assuming that Sony matches Xbox 4% YoY HW revenue growth (cause the extra two months)

PS 'Q4' for 2020, they shipped 4.5M so assuming that 4% growth, they would have shipped 4.7m last quarter so 18.3M LTD.

Pro for Sony unit numbers:
- extra month (6 weeks) for selling PS5's Cons for the revenue number in terms of reporting:
- the JPY is 15% weaker
Cons for the unit numbers:
- Sony is technically down YoY in JP ~20% (212k 2020 which is 5% of their global unit sales, 169k this year). I think that's probably more of a factor of redistributing units to different countries.

k69AQj1.png

Ignore the -100% on the Sony column.

I agree with the 18mill figure they are at now .

But if you're numbers are correct

7.8 + 15 = 22.8 by the end of march 2022

Which I dont see happening , I think they will reach 20mil by then. Which would mean theres a 2.8 million stock surplus which dont sound right.

I agree with the 18mill figure they are at now .

But if you're numbers are correct

7.8 + 15 = 22.8 by the end of march 2022

Which I dont see happening , I think they will reach 20mil by then. Which would mean theres a 2.8 million stock surplus which dont sound right.
You guys must have access to a different kind of math. How would Sony be at 18 mil sold already ?

How

I just guessed lol.

If they sold 13.6 by the end of sep 2021 and sold an average of 1 million a month they would be at about 18million now.

Sure but I’m not sure that’s what happened as it conflicts with their internal manufacturing targets. Can’t sell what you can’t make.

I’m sure if they were able to make that many they’d be there.

NahaNago

This makes sense with the games Sony has being released this year but only if they can keep up with production of ps5s to match those numbers.

Sosokrates

Sure but I’m not sure that’s what happened as it conflicts with their internal manufacturing targets. Can’t sell what you can’t make.

I’m sure if they were able to make that many they’d be there.
I don't think it does.
They sold 7.8mill by march 31st 21, and have a 15mill production target from march 21 to march 22, so that would mean a potential 22.8 million by end of march 22.
But I dont see that if they only sold 13.6 mill by the end of sep 21.

However this does not make sense when this is in the article I posted

Slashing the forecast by 1 million units will make it difficult for the company to meet its target of 14.8 million units sold by March 2022.

Last edited:

reksveks

I don't think it does.
They sold 7.8mill by march 31st 21, and have a 15mill production target from march 21 to march 22, so that would mean a potential 22.8 million by end of march 22.
H09Kawj.png

Sorry it was 13.4M not 13.6M (think the 5.6M confused me). If the Q3 that's going to get announced on wednesday looks like the first Q, then it's 17.9M (13.4+4.5) if if looks like the previous Q aka their FR21 Q2 then its 16.7M. I suspect it's closer to the 4.5M than 3.3M range.

This is the FY dates so that Q2 ends September '21

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Def bigger than any IP Sony has. I mean these guys made elder scrolls and fallout literally genre building titles.

Just say you don’t like them cause they’re a mfst studio instead of lying

How can you say something about this game if we haven’t seen it? And it should release this year? I still doubt it will release later this year. Other then that, games like GoW are being player by a lot of type of gamers (also casuals).

This can turn out be another of the CP games.

Last edited:
I don't think it does.

However this does not make sense when this is in the article I posted

Ok I see. Yea that’s plausible.

Sosokrates

How can you say something about this game if we haven’t seen it? And it should release this year? I still doubt it will release later this year. Other then that, games like GoW are being player by a lot of type of gamers (also casuals).

This can turn out be another of the CP games.

I mean which actually know quite a lot about starfield.

Theres space travel, various different cities and outposts, a heavy narrative story, quests with a similar structure to fallout/Skyrim.

I mean imagine if in fallout 4 you found a spacecraft and could fly to a different planet, add a different setting + chracters plus some current gen visual features and you wont be far off on what starfield will be like.

The weird thing is, that article says its sonys target to have 14.8 mill consoles sold by march 2022. Which would mean 1.4million sold between sep 28th 21 and march 31st 22, 1.4mill in 6 months cant be right.

Yea the #s are all over the place but I would suspect that targets were missed this holiday especially seeing as they came in 3rd during that season.

They have an earnings call soon so it’ll all be sorted at that point.

Top Bottom