• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 & Xbox Series S/X Appreciation Thread - Good Vibes Only

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i'm waiting for a slimmer Series X (haven't played with the new consoles yet lol)...

is this real ?

Sonic_Mid_Post_Image_JPG.jpg

breaking news GIF by NowThis

Exanthus

Banned
I have a Series X and series S for the wife and kids.
Still on the hunt for a PS5.
Gamepass has great value and has helped me save plenty, I guess I'm gutted that this gen seems to be off to a very slow start due to world events.

Sega Orphan

Banned
I don't own a PS5 but borrowed the Brother in laws for a weekend, and I own a XSX.
I have to say the quality of build of both consoles is excellent. We have heard very little about poor reliability with either of them. They are both really quiet as well, which isn't an improvement for Xbox as their One X and S were also whisper quiet, it's a big improvement over the jet engine that was the PS4 Pro.
So big props to both Sony and MS on that front.
From a hardware point of view they both offer amazing value for what you get, even close to 18 months after release.

I think they both knocked it out of the park this gen.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Chased a scalper down and got the ps5 literally a year ago, the console is HUGE in person.

Duchess

I wasn't fond of the PS5 controller when I first saw it; it seemed too big.

I now think it's much better than PS3 / PS4 controllers. Great size, and the features such as the triggers and enhanced vibrations are great.

The console itself is chunky, for sure. I've set mine vertically, however, so I don't notice so much.

(it might not be a thing any more, but if you've got issues with the optical drive being noisy, try changing the machine's orientation - worked for me!)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game Pass.

- Amp up on Gold and do the conversion trick
- Tons of games including first party and a focus on more recent games
- First party games day one. And expectation is new Bethesda and Activision games going forward will be too like Starfield and COD (hopefully)
- If you do home sharing with a friend or fam member, Game Pass works too
- If you buy a game that's on GP, it may be 10 or 20% off. It has something to do with timing, but not sure what the exact process is
- EA Play is included which has its own set of perks like 10 hr trials and 10% discount, and most EA games come to EA Play about 9 months after release. So if you arent a day one gamer, just wait for it to come in about 9 months
- I dont bother using PC Game Pass (which has it's own set of PC only games), but if you got Game Pass Ultimate it's included
- I don't give a shit about xcloud gaming, but GPU includes this (limited number of games)

I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore, so I've barely bought any games the past few years aside from home sharing with a friend some COD, Diablo Remake and a handful of other full budget or indie games not on the service.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Remote play and share play aren't talked about, and probably not utilized enough. Good features when hardwired.

The other things like SSD and DS has been covered but that has me spoiled when properly utilized.

The best games are yet to come on both consoles, covid has really slowed things down.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS and Xbox home sharing.

As long as you got ONE(!) trustworthy friend or family member you can do game sharing by linking your accounts on the same system. So cut all your costs in half with DIGITAL games you mutually agree to split 50/50.

So for all the bitching and moaning about digital prices, there's got to be one good person you know with the same platform you can go halfers with.

I don't know if this also applies for PS, but for Xbox the home sharing also shares Gold and Game Pass memberships. So only one person has to buy it and both profiles get it. For me, I do all the Gold/Game Pass activation, so my buddy just pays me back or buys me dinner to cover it.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I appreciate:

Gamepass - massive value
Fantastic next gen machines for both ps5 and series X

Also enjoying series S - perfect for the bedroom, games still look great!

The oled screen on the Switch makes every game look better.

Lots of great games the past 12 months.

Y0ssarian

Banned
They're both great. The best features of the Series X for me is the backwards compatibility, my favourite games are DoA6, Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden II, Otogi: Myth of Demons and Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors, so the Xbox is really good for retaining these games.

I have a Series X and I’m just thankful I can play most games (New and Old) in 60fps. Even though it’s not even optimized that well on Next Gen I can’t imagine I’d be all that happy if I was stuck playing Elden Ring slideshow edition on my old One S.

I love backwards compatibility, especially when games like Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 have upgrades to 4K with rock solid 60fps. Hell I can play some games like AssCreed 1, Fallout 3, and Oblivion and they’re basically free remasters to 4K/60; it’s fantastic.

I’m not super into online multiplayer, but Halo Infinite’s always there if I feel like playing something and it’s completely free.

I don’t even use Gamepass (aside from trials and $1 deals occasionally) because I already have too many damn games to play, though it’s nice to have the option to try out games I may have overlooked before.

Bojji

This really is the best generation of consoles in terms of hardware and software.

I sold my 3070 in January for more than 2x of the price i paid for it (and great amount of money made in mining 🤣) and bought series x. Now I have 2 consoles and no need (right now) for a gaming PC.

60 fps games and SSDs are a fucking game changer, same can be said about consoles noise level (non existent). With gamepass and ability to sell physical games even the cost of gaming isn't that big.

pVSX0tw.jpg

Last edited:

GametimeUK

For my Xbox I'm really happy with the supported titles and features when it comes to backwards compatibility. FPS boost is a fantastic option and VRR support is great. The digital refund system is very consumer friendly and quick resume is surprisingly good. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Also I enjoy gamepass, the connectivity with my PC and the Elite 2 is my fave controller of all time.

For my Playstation I've enjoyed the Dualsense and a few of the exclusives already. VRR seems to be on the way which is a needed feature for sure. I'm pleasantly surprised by the pulse headset for sure. I'm happy Sony have opened up more to crossplay now too.

anothertech

PS and Xbox home sharing.

As long as you got ONE(!) trustworthy friend or family member you can do game sharing by linking your accounts on the same system. So cut all your costs in half with DIGITAL games you mutually agree to split 50/50.

So for all the bitching and moaning about digital prices, there's got to be one good person you know with the same platform you can go halfers with.

I don't know if this also applies for PS, but for Xbox the home sharing also shares Gold and Game Pass memberships. So only one person has to buy it and both profiles get it. For me, I do all the Gold/Game Pass activation, so my buddy just pays me back or buys me dinner to cover it.
This. 100%

fart town usa

Gold Member
I just realized that ray tracing doesn't have anything to do with what TV you have (I think).

Figured it wouldn't do anything special since my TV is only 1080p. I'm gonna have to try some of those "quality" modes that feature RT.

Last edited:

MrTentakel

I love the DualSense controller. If feels great and it´s just a little thing but games feel more immersive.
My XSX is just silent. No noise, no coil whine, just silent. That´s sooo nice!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Has time stopped in Fart Town?
Dog, I am so behind the curve. lol.

Years back I was at the peak of the game. I had all the best gadgets and was up to speed on everything with tech. Something happened though and now I just feel like an old man. I'm over here at goodwill like, "Honey, check it out, they got a S-VCR here, this thing takes S-Video....DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA THE IMAGE WE COULD GET ON THE TRINITRON!?!?!??"

What I really want to know though, who the hell is Ray Tracing and why does everyone keep talking about him? I think he's working with Mark Cerny on Knack 3 or something? I dunno, it's all so confusing to me now.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
What I really want to know though, who the hell is Ray Tracing and why does everyone keep talking about him? I think he's working with Mark Cerny on Knack 3 or something? I dunno, it's all so confusing to me now.
Have you tried out the PS5/XSX version of Control? It has some great raytracing reflections. It looks so nice that I was willing to play in the 30 fps mode. Probably the best console example I've seen, where the difference is undeniably awesome.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Have you tried out the PS5/XSX version of Control? It has some great raytracing reflections. It looks so nice that I was willing to play in the 30 fps mode. Probably the best console example I've seen, where the difference is undeniably awesome.
I haven't but I think I have it in my PS+ games, it might just be the PS4 version, I'll have to check.

I'm definitely gonna try out the Ghostwire quality mode tonight though.

Have both, love em both. For different things, PS5 for mainly physical games and exclusives. Can find good deals on games on Amazon etc. PS is also my preferred platform for Souls games.

For Xbox i of course love Gamepass but i am also a big fan of the build quality and premium features lacking on PS5 like Freesync, VRR, Dolby Vision and such. Yes build quality and design is much better on SX.

Top Bottom