• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5/XSX Blu-Ray playback comparison

dotnotbot

PS5 vs XSX 4K UHD blu-ray playback comparison

Summary: PS5 wins, XSX has frameskipping, stuttering* and more color banding (!) than PS5

Sidenote is that both aren't bit-perfect and both don't support Dolby Vision so videophiles may need to buy something separate anyways.

* only in 24p content, which is rare

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Shows you my ps5 is digital... Xbox wins!

truth be told I don’t use either for streaming, everything looks better on my apple TV.

dotnotbot

.... because the number one item that people buy these consoles for is blu-ray playback..

For me, the most interesting thing about this comparison is that so many things could potentially go wrong with something as "simple" as movie playback. There are many devices available on market that are dedicated to movie playback and have issues like frameskipping or raised blacks (btw XSX had this problem but now it's fixed, so thankfully Microsoft cares) etc. Nothing really "just works" (well, maybe except discontinued Oppo 203).

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
.... because the number one item that people buy these consoles for is blu-ray playback..

If you’re buying physical media you need to get a dedicated blu ray player.
I didn't buy my ps5 for 4k blu rays but I have since bought a few and the quality of image and audio (DTSX/Dolby Atmos) is better than the streaming services for my situation. I do have fiber internet, but even with my decent isp and connection sometimes have issues with the services themselves (netflix, vudu, disney, hbo, etc).

When the ps4pro didn't support 4k discs I considered getting a stand alone player, but I'm glad I waited and am now happily building up my must have film collection in 4k (when the 4k version proves worthy).

Bonus my LG remote controls my receiver and ps5 so I don't have to use another remote or ps5 controller to play blu rays.

Andodalf

Banned
I didn't buy my ps5 for 4k blu rays but I have since bought a few and the quality of image and audio (DTSX/Dolby Atmos) is better than the streaming services for my situation. I do have fiber internet, but even with my decent isp and connection sometimes have issues with the services themselves (netflix, vudu, disney, hbo, etc).

When the ps4pro didn't support 4k discs I considered getting a stand alone player, but I'm glad I waited and am now happily building up my must have film collection in 4k (when the 4k version proves worthy).

Bonus my LG remote controls my receiver and ps5 so I don't have to use another remote or ps5 controller to play blu rays.

Very true it still certainly beats streaming!

Iced Arcade

Both systems are shitty UHD Blu ray players lol.

Creator of Blu Ray has the better Blu Ray. News at 11

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah started using my PS5 instead of my X1X or Series X. It’s the better player.

Doesn’t have enough of a UI though. Like turning on captions without having to go through a 70 language list every time I start a new episode.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PS5 vs XSX 4K UHD blu-ray playback comparison

Summary: PS5 wins, XSX has frameskipping, stuttering* and more color banding (!) than PS5

Sidenote is that both aren't bit-perfect and both don't support Dolby Vision so videophiles may need to buy something separate anyways.

* only in 24p content, which is rare

Dolby-Vision-Xbox.jpg

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

pasterpl

MS did not lie. If you watch a 24fps movie in photo mode by watching a slideshow of images, it will outperform the PS5. So that's a clear win for the XSX. Phil Spencer ftw!

Anotherone.gif

they didn’t lie, they said that it will be available in gaming, I also think it is/will apply to streamed videos, I believe it was, from start being mentioned for 2021

cireza

Banned
I am not a UHD movie enthusiast but I definitely see how the Series X results are disappointing in that regard.

PS5 looks much more satisfactory in that regard.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am not a UHD movie enthusiast but I definitely see how the Series X results are disappointing in that regard.

PS5 looks much more satisfactory in that regard.
It is disappointing because there is nothing special in the dedicated UHD Blu-Ray player that should keep it that much ahead of XSX or PS5... it is really the software they can fix and they should have all the performance they need. If you want to pass the cost of Dolby Vision for UHD Blu-Ray to players fine, I mean not fine but better than being restricted to static HDR10 :/...

This is different than Sony that was trying to push Blu-Ray with PS3 where they really went all out to create a great if not one of the best Blu-Ray players around (it was easy to keep up to date, it supported 1.5x playback with sound active, etc...). Bit disappointed.

Aso bit disappointed with MS as they have no dedicated Blu-Ray players sales to worry about/to protect and this is their third iteration for UHD Blu-Ray playback (Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X).

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
MS probably ported some generic bog standard UHD player over from 1X.
It is a games machine first and even a streaming video player before UHD disc playback.

Top Bottom