• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5/XSX/Steam versions of Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3 launch today

Nickolaidas

Banned
Mods no longer work for Resident Evil 3 (Steam), because the modding application no longer recognizes the game's PAK files.

Nickolaidas

Banned
There are also many complaints on the Steam forums that the RE7 update utterly botched the audio - people can't hear dialogue, no matter what they do in the settings.

Vick

Gold Member
Okay i watched a video on YT and IQ on PS5, at least with RT On, is night and day compared to before.
I don't care for RT at the moment because i'm not trading rock solid 60fps, but if IQ is shared between modes as previous comparisons by 01011001 01011001 indicated, this update is a win regardless. Can only be thankful for DualSense features and better IQ for free.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Played a few minutes of Re2make.

The RT = on mode seems to subdue some of the over exaggerated reflections in the RPD main hall, which I guess I understand as there was no reason for the RPD main hall to be so glossy in the first place.

Lmao zombie frame rates are still like 30fps at a distance even in 120fps mode
Welcome to suffering as PC users since day one. The fucked up part? We had hex edit hacks to surgically remove this one piece of code from the executable and guess what? The performance "cost" of removing this 30 fps lock, even at 144 fps real framerate, is fucking 0. What a useless optimization. It's like shitty 8th gen consoles not using anisotropic filtering. No fucking excuse.

GenericUser

I see almost no difference here. RE2 was already 60fps on PS4. I will download RE2 again on series x and see for myself. But I honestly doubt that these very very subtle improvements justify a immediate new playthrough, maybe when fall comes.

Vick

Gold Member
Finally tried it myself. RE2 PS5 version (RT Off) in terms of IQ really is night and day compared to the backwards compatibility version. All the highlights shimmer and edge aliasing are completely gone. Leon's hair are pixel perfect now and just about everything is super clean and polished looking.
Not saying it looked like shit before, but really makes a huge difference in some portions of the game.

Now if only they also improved the SSR..
But one day on future consoles the RT Mode will be played at rock solid 60fps, so that's enough for me.

Adaptive triggers implementation is good, not invasive just like i hoped they would be. Haven't noticed much Haptics though.

All in all, THANK YOU Capcom. One of my favorite games of all time just got more pleasant looking and fun to play, while also being future proof. All for free.

man-gentlemen.gif

ParaSeoul

I really don't like the weird brightness calibration the new RE engine games have. It always feels like I'm doing something wrong. Either too dark or somewhat washed out.
iirc the sliders are actually not giving accurate adjustments,is it the same on the new patch?

Shmunter

Finally tried it myself. RE2 PS5 version (RT Off) in terms of IQ really is night and day compared to the backwards compatibility version. All the highlights shimmer and edge aliasing are completely gone. Leon's hair are pixel perfect now and just about everything is super clean and polished looking.
Not saying it looked like shit before, but really makes a huge difference in some portions of the game.

Now if only they also improved the SSR..
But one day on future consoles the RT Mode will be played at rock solid 60fps, so that's enough for me.

Adaptive triggers implementation is good, not invasive just like i hoped they would be. Haven't noticed much Haptics though.

All in all, THANK YOU Capcom. One of my favorite games of all time just got more pleasant looking and fun to play, while also being future proof. All for free.

man-gentlemen.gif
I still don’t understand why devs don’t go with planar reflections or reprojection. All superior to ssr and still far less costly than RT while delivering results almost indistinguishable.

RT’s place is in GI, the rest can be done cheaper and often to better effect.

Vick

Gold Member
I really don't like the weird brightness calibration the new RE engine games have. It always feels like I'm doing something wrong. Either too dark or somewhat washed out.
I LOVE them. They are way more extensive and competent than 90% of those featured in other games.
The difference is that games usually ship with perfect Default settings while these uncalibrated are a mess, especially RE2.

Do this:

First pattern all the way up (or one step before max), second all the way down (or one step before min), last pattern +5 from Default.

The last one, brightness, may depend alot on your panel capabilities. On my plasmas +5 is perfect, but it might change for you.

iirc the sliders are actually not giving accurate adjustments,is it the same on the new patch?
They are extremely accurate, and let you change max white peak, minimum black level and general brightness. Try the settings above and never look back.

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Some of the washed out look is an artistic decision, but agree the calibration sucks ass.

Settings for FALD/OLED TVs: max out the first slider, then drop the second slider all the way to the left (darker) and then go up 3-4 clicks.

First is peak nits and second is the general “paper white” setting.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
I’ve seen worse, but it’s unclear what any of the settings do unless you look it up online. Even the blue/red square setting gives you a bad result if you follow the directions.

Once it’s dialed in it looks amazing, but it should be more straightforward.

I’ve ranted about my hate for hdr “standards” many times and won’t get into it again 😂 there’s just no reason for it to be as messy as it is.

Vick

Gold Member
I’ve seen worse, but it’s unclear what any of the settings do unless you look it up online. Even the blue/red square setting gives you a bad result if you follow the directions.

Once it’s dialed in it looks amazing, but it should be more straightforward.

I’ve ranted about my hate for hdr “standards” many times and won’t get into it again 😂 there’s just no reason for it to be as messy as it is.
Yeah i see now, you were talking about HDR settings while i was referring to the standard SDR Brightness tools, which i love.
The patterns do look a bit different in this new version, more subtle, but work just as they did before.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Time for my RE3 playthrough on series x. Not bothered for too many effects like RT just give me solid performance and shiny shiny.

Reactions: Isa
Only tried the intro bit of RE3 on PS5 and the frame rate is very poor with RT on. Seems to be very occasionally near 60fps, high forties to low 50s 60% of the time and outside of VRR range the rest so definitely kind of choppy.

There is a lot of grain on shiny stuff still but it looked good overall to be fair.

Last edited:

RobRSG

Good news that they implemented FXAA+TAA on PS5 finally.

XSX owners will find no difference as the game already had it before in BC mode. Not sure about the pixel count, but AA looks the same.

Last edited:

Banned
On PS5, is VRR supported in the RT mode? Does that help without the frame drops or is it sub 48?

I posted videos in this thread showing the beginning of RE3 on both consoles.

on PS5 the framerate is very low, usually dropping below 48fps as soon as anything demanding is on screen. so VRR will help but it regularly drops below the VRR window.

Isa

Gold Member
I've been enjoying RE2make with my gf last night, had to pause The Quarry with her for the night though due to limited time. We were hooked again, and she was super into it. Funny and great seeing her get so into games now. Anyway, played with the RT setting, seemed fine. Some of the textures show their age, but overall the game still looks great and the OG soundtrack is still amazing. Also for those interested, new sku means the ability to get the trophies/cheevos again which I'll do. These games are just fun to play, very well made.

MikeM

Limited time, huge backlog, new games to stack on the backlog...

And now this + RE4 Remake + Village DLC & 3rd person mode + Village PSVR2 mode....

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF
Same. But RE2 and RE3 take priority iver the rest. I forgot how much I enjoyed these gems. More plats incoming I think.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You'll have to forgive me if I can't remember but could you turn off grain before?

arvfab

Banned
Don't know if already discussed/answered, but what about PS4->PS5 saves import? Seamless? Need in-game upload? Not possible at all?

VanEs

Tested Re2 and 3 remake briefly on a series s. Resolution is increased (1440p?). RT mode runs shitty (30-40 range if I had to guess.) Could really use a 30fps cap. But this is Capcom so they won't.

Normal mode runs 60fps flawlessly and is the way to play. I have no interest whatsoever in RT so I'm happy with the update.

FUBARx89

To be fair, I'm not sure what people where expecting with the frame drops.

RE Village had some rancid drops on PS5, I actually had to turn off RT for the final fight due to it dropping like a motherfucker and that wasn't exactly a complicated scene.

There definitely is room for improvement in general stability, but overall I'm pleased with the upgrades (well, maybe not 7, the image is still soft as fuck, but it's only the starting area, will speedrun to the house properly to see)

** Edit I will say, the GI and I assume RT shadows make the games look fantastic, if you can tolerate drops they're well worth turning on RT.

120fps is also a very nice bonus, even if it hovers around 80-100 for what I bothered looking at.

Last edited:

omegasc

Heads up for people testing settings on PC with ray tracing on: on my laptop (RTX 3070), while the game allows you to change everything in game, any changes here tank the FPS, especially if you are going up in detail. Quitting and loading the save (continue) fixes it.
I tried Interlaced mode, got from around 70 to 110 fps, then put it back to Normal and the game got to below 30.
Maybe that's why they locked consoles settings to Main Menu.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Played a bit of both 2 & 3 on Series X. 120fps is very smooth. It's a nice way to play them.

Last edited:
Steam updated RE2 Remake, RE3 Renake and RE7 last night on my PC so I got chance to try all three this morning.

I personally did not notice much difference in RE2 or RE7 from the save point I was at; the games looked pretty much as I remembered them and there was little in the way of genuinely noticeable enhancements. Sure, the reflections on the floor in the police station in RE2 now look less pixellated but that was the only real difference I noticed. I then played RE3 where I playing as Carlos in the hospital area and it was here that I noticed a lot more in the way of reflections due to the abundance of windows, shiny floors and other reflective surfaces. It looked nice for sure but it wasn't that much of an upgrade. However, the game still runs at 100-120 fps at 1440p on my RTX 3080 with everything maxed out including both RT settings on High so I do not feel I am losing anything leaving these on.

I have not had the chance to try RE7 on my Xbox Series X or RE2 Remake on my PS5, both of which updated as well last night. However, I have been reading of sub-60 fps performance issues in both versions so I hope we have the option to turn the RT effects off like in RE Village. VRR can certainly help hide these drops but only if you have a TV that supports it otherwise you will have to put up with a stuttering framerate which obviously is not ideal when the previous versions were running fine at a locked 60 fps on current gen systems.

Last edited:

gamer82

I was going to finish three but i think i will just restart withntjese new updates glad i bought them digitally . Now to wait for a cheap deal on 8 hopefully in time for vr2 if they are not scalped.

Top Bottom