• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5/XSX/Steam versions of Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3 launch today

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
wWC3rWS.jpg
Gy9P13c.jpg

Banned
currently downloading RE3 on both consoles.
I really hope the performance is on par with RE8 on SX at least, because the framerate was just smooth enough to barely be noticeable with VRR when it dropped frames.

DavidGzz

Need a side by side cause I always thought these games were gorgeous so I can't tell what's upgraded or how much better it looks with raytracing.

Banned
so, Performance in RE3 on PS5 is very rough, falls below the 48hz VRR window in the opening once you are on the street.

now testing the SX version.

bender

What time is it?
Kind of weird. Game Sizes:

-RE2 22.73GB (was 40.22GB)
-RE3 21.02GB (was 24.80GB)
-RE7 61.20GB (was 40.50GB)

RE7 also appears to be missing the Survival Resource Pack, Trauma Pack and Mr. Raccoon Weapon Parts. (just comparing add-ons)

Banned
so, Performance in RE3 on PS5 is very rough, falls below the 48hz VRR window in the opening once you are on the street.

now testing the SX version.

yeah so SX runs noticeably better. about 5 to 8 FPS advantage from my limited resources of testing this (I can't know how low below 48hz the PS5 goes after all)

currently uploading videos for comparison

Last edited:

TGO

Yes. The game asked bif I wanted to transfer my saves when I first launched RE2. Previously earned trophies unlocked here too.
The floor and walls in the police station are no longer a mess 👍

Banned
yeah so SX runs noticeably better. about 5 to 8 FPS advantage from my limited resources of testing this (I can't know how low below 48hz the PS5 goes after all)

currently uploading videos for comparison

here are the videos

I'm trying to get another shot in. I got killed on PS5 by one of the zombies that stand near the fence, and the framerate TANKED like hell, just trying this on SX now to see how it will fair

TGO

here are the videos

I'm trying to get another shot in. I got killed on PS5 by one of the zombies that stand near the fence, and the framerate TANKED like hell, just trying this on SX now to see how it will fair

Are you German?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
here are the videos

Nice. SX also had an advantage in Village. RE Engine probably favors it a bit more.

Banned
here's the Zombie killing me scene. this has a very unstable framerate on PS5 (basically constantly below 48fps which is why it constantly switches between 59hz and 48hz

so it seems with VRR you'll be having a decent experience with RT on on Xbox. worst case scenario is you have to run the system at 120hz and just widen your VRR window that way

I might now test the 120hz mode to see what that's all about

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'm getting between 98 and 120fps at 4k and everything in its highest setting including the new ray tracing, GI reflection and light reflection on high which is the highest quality.

I'm also running image quality at 200 percent but this can't be working correctly as my old 2080ti chugged at 200 percent.

Vkgnrqp.jpg

My gpu is screaming though so not enjoyable at this volume even with 11.2 sound

Last edited:
I tried re2 , there's a weird shimmering effect on objects like polls on the ground in high frame rate mode and it's not present in ray tracing mode !

adamsapple

I tried re2 , there's a weird shimmering effect on objects like polls on the ground in high frame rate mode and it's not present in ray tracing mode !

Probably low resolution artifacts. Must be reconstructing at or around 1080p from a lower resolution to reach that frame rate.

Last edited:

Banned
I might now test the 120hz mode to see what that's all about

in 120hz, the difference is smaller with maybe a 1 to 2 FPS advantage on Xbox it seems. but you'll never notice that with VRR. BUT that will not run smoothly without VRR

in conclusion:

if you don't have VRR, especially on PS5, I don't think RT mode is much fun, they should have offered an optional 30fps lock or even a 40fps 120hz mode.
on Xbox RT mode is perfect for VRR, but also maybe ok without
PS5 will drop below 48fps and stutter at times

120hz is good on both but also should be played with VRR or you'll notice stutters

Last edited:

adamsapple

in 120hz, the difference is smaller with maybe a 1 to 2 FPS advantage on Xbox it seems. but you'll never notice that with VRR. BUT that will not run smoothly without VRR

if you don't have VRR, especially on PS5, I don't think RT mode is much fun, they should have offered an optional 30fps lock or even a 40fps 120hz mode

Is there just a base version to play at 60hz with RT off ? like how you can turn RT on/off in Village.

Vick

Gold Member
yes. there are 2 toggles, high Framerate on/off and RT on/off, if RT is on you can not turn on High framerate.
Oh thank God.
So i guess you can turn RT off and play with DualSense features and probably better IQ than before still at rock solid 60fps, correct?
I can only try it tomorrow unfortunately.

The floor and walls in the police station are no longer a mess 👍
I guess them not being a mess once RT is turned off again would be too good to be true, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom