• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5/XSX/Steam versions of Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3 launch today

Banned
Oh thank God.
So i guess you can turn RT off and play with DualSense features and probably better IQ than before still at rock solid 60fps, correct?
I can only try it tomorrow unfortunately,

I assume so yes but I can try the same scenes I tested above to see. seems like a good stress test scene with all the fire etc.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is all I wanted really
Keep in mind they aren't highly reflective like they was before, the exact opposite actually.
It is reflective but not much.
I don't know if that's Ray-tracing or they completely remove that effect.
So far I haven't really been able to say "that's Ray-tracing" or SSR.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone please run a quick test for me.

are there still SSR artifacts in the RPD main hall in either the RT on/off mode ? I imagine RT will have fixed it but wondering if they improved SSR otherwise in the off mode.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Can someone please run a quick test for me.

are there still SSR artifacts in the RPD main hall in either the RT on/off mode ? I imagine RT will have fixed it but wondering if they improved SSR otherwise in the off mode.
still there

Vick

Gold Member
Keep in mind they aren't highly reflective like they was before, the exact opposite actually.
It is reflective but not much.
I don't know if that's Ray-tracing or they completely remove that effect.
So far I haven't really been able to say "that's Ray-tracing" or SSR.
The ultimate test would be the rooftop where you extinguish the helicopter fire, right before Mr. X first appearance.
That area is (was?) an atrocious looking mess.

RE2 Ray Tracing

Z4X7JLS.jpg

95ih5yM.jpg

TGO

The ultimate test would be the rooftop where you extinguish the helicopter fire, right before Mr. X first appearance.
That area is (was?) an atrocious looking mess.
Well the laboratories was the worse.
Especially in RE3

Shmunter

You don’t own the game.
I donated my disc when it hit psplus, as I always do.

Psplus has always been sold as giving you the full game benefit as long as subscribed. No longer the case since the FF7 remake, it’s a crapshoot. The ps5 version is supposed to be a free upgrade

If not for needing online, I’d be cancelling this shit immediately.

TGO

I donated my disc when it hit psplus, as I always do.

Psplus has always been sold as giving you the full game benefit as long as subscribed. No longer the case since the FF7 remake, it’s a crapshoot. The ps5 version is supposed to be a free upgrade

If not for needing online, I’d be cancelling this shit immediately.
Too be fair, I think that's Publisher dependent.
Sony can't go giving away a next gen upgrade too if the Publisher see that as fitting the criteria for their free upgrade.

Vick

Gold Member
ok here's PS5, RT on vs RT off

I couldn't get RT off to drop a single frame

Thanks for these tests man.

Just one more question, IQ on PS4 Pro lacked TAA compared to One X, have you noticed any difference in this regard now?
I also assume IQ is the same between RT Off and On?

Last edited:

Shmunter

Too be fair, I think that's Publisher dependent.
Sony can't go giving away a next gen upgrade too if the Publisher see that as fitting the criteria for their free upgrade.
Even then, it's Sony's problem. They need to mandate to publishers - if you're not charging for the update do not charge for the update. It's confusing, it reflects poorly on psplus, it reflects poorly on Sony. But Jim gets his 30%, that's the only thing that matters.

His short term gains will be a loss in the long run. He doesn't give a shit cause he'll be off with a golden parachute before then.

Banned

Just one more question, IQ on PS4 Pro lacked TAA compared to One X, have you noticed any difference in this regard now?

Image quality seems pretty much the same, I could upload some system captured screenshots.

Banned

screenshots (tried to line it up as good as possible... weirdly the Xbox version has a slightly different camera angle when loading this checkpoint... it's weird

(brightness settings are different... didn't try to line those up)

PS5 RT on
1815fec923a69-screenspqk5x.png

Series X RT on
632c41e7-30b6-451c-8c04k2b.png

PS5 RT off
1815fec89e323-screens10kz8.png

Series X RT off
308e0f87-463e-4623-a8paji5.png

comp1lskg8.png

200% Zoom
comp2qnjz3.png

Last edited:

Shmunter

screenshots (tried to line it up as good as possible... weirdly the Xbox version has a slightly different camera angle when loading this checkpoint... it's weird

(brightness settings are different... didn't try to line those up)

PS5 RT on
1815fec923a69-screenspqk5x.png

Series X RT on
632c41e7-30b6-451c-8c04k2b.png

PS5 RT off
1815fec89e323-screens10kz8.png

Series X RT off
308e0f87-463e-4623-a8paji5.png

comp1lskg8.png

200% Zoom
comp2qnjz3.png
As suspected, there are differences. One better than the other tho?

Banned

it looks to me, on first glance, that both run at Checkerboard 4K in this scene or maybe 1800p CB. I could try to find a good pixel counting edge tho. (the Chromatic aberration makes this hard)
it seems to fill the native pixel grid pretty well tho and you can clearly see CB combing in some straight lines on both.

the brightness settings are completely off of course. I might try to get those in line as well

Last edited:

lillars

If I buy them digitally later (say at the next sale) for PS4, will I still get the free upgrade? Or is this something that only applies to past purchases?

Vick

Gold Member
Differences in IQ were massive on previous gen. PS4 Pro sharper but aliased, One X more refined and cleaner.

Now they look pretty much the same from what i can see on these comparisons.

the brightness settings are completely off of course. I might try to get those in line as well
In that case you might as well use these settings on both (and probably keep them forever):

First pattern all the way up (or one step before max), second all the way down (or one step before min), last pattern +5 from Default.

Banned
In that case you might as well use these settings on both (and probably keep them forever):

First pattern all the way up (or one step before max), second all the way down (or one step before min), last pattern +5 from Default.

I might use these in the future, I now tried to just set my Xbox to the same setting I had on PS5. that doesn't always result in the same results but here are the 2 images that I tried to line up as best as possible

same scene, the PS5 runs this at 51FPS and the Xbox SX at 58fps btw. just as a comparison here
1cee5161-6da6-4a9e-aeyajx8.png

XBOX SX 👆 /// PS5 👇
181600b363915-screensmgjmm.png

It is hard to find an edge to properly pixelcount with tho. the chromatic aberration is really brutal and the TAA also obfuscates edges a bit

Last edited:

adamsapple

I just wanna make a little note here, sorry.

PS4 Pro did *not* lack TAA.

The difference was that PS4 Pro only had TAA (not a very good version), One X had a pass of FXAA along with TAA, hence the better, yet softer coverage.

You can test this easily by matching the TAA vs TAA + FXAA options on the PC version along with console versions. If you remove TAA and just use the FXAA, the amount of shimmer everywhere is incredibly jarring.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I might use these in the future,
Trust me, as soon as you'll do you'll regret you haven't used them before.

same scene, the PS5 runs this at 51FPS and the Xbox SX at 58fps btw. just as a comparison here
1cee5161-6da6-4a9e-aeyajx8.png

XBOX SX 👆 /// PS5 👇
181600b363915-screensmgjmm.png
Ok now it's more noticeable.. so same situation as before, Series X cleaner and PS5 sharper but more aliased.

Confused the images, looks like a completely reverse situation than previous gen. But less drastic.

I just wanna make a little note here, sorry.

PS4 Pro did *not* lack TAA.

The difference was that PS4 Pro only had TAA (not a very good version), One X had a pass of FXAA along with TAA, hence the better, yet softer coverage.

You can test this easily by matching the TAA vs TAA + FXAA options on the PC version along with console versions. If you remove TAA and just use the FXAA, the amount of shimmer everywhere is incredibly jarring.
I'll take your word for it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Ok now it's more noticeable.. so same situation as before, Series X cleaner and PS5 sharper but more aliased.

Yeah, I guess with the SSR artifacts also still being there when RT is off, looks like there wasn't a lot of engine level changes done outside of bolting on RT from last gen.

jimmypython

The adaptive trigger functionality is great for both games. I just turned RT off. 60FPS is way more important for me due to motion sickness:(

Vick

Gold Member
Yeah, I guess with the SSR artifacts also still being there when RT is off, looks like there wasn't a lot of engine level changes done outside of bolting on RT from last gen.
I'm an idiot and confused the images, apparently the first one is the Series X, not PS5, and it looks sharper but less polished than the one below.
Unless they were accidentally swapped, looks like a reverse situation than we had before.

Last edited:

Banned
so I tried to pixelcount this by using the firetruck on the right
and my count comes down to either 2.088p, 1.944p or 2160p
it's really hard to get it down, BUT this tells me this is a 2160p image most likely, at least on Series X, it's way harder to tell on PS5 due to the image looking softer (AA difference). and it most likely uses checkerboarding as well. so 2160cb

it's really hard to tell tho, here's my sample... and I'm not sure how many steps I can actually count here as the post processing just completely fucks you over here lol

top is Xbox, Bottom is PS5
qTgaFSB.png

j4UbpJF.png

again, PS5 ran at 51FPS and Series X at 58fps in this exact screenshot. maybe a lower framerate could also explain why the PS5 looks softer, but I'm not sure. maybe there's a dynamic res in place here

OZ8MYIx.png

KIsR2XF.png

Last edited:

omegasc

I thought it would have DLSS on PC. It's only FSR 1.0 which blurs the image too much for me even on the max setting.

Banned
I thought it would have DLSS on PC. It's only FSR 1.0 which blurs the image too much for me even on the max setting.

it has checkerboarding tho. maybe that looks better? (they call it interlacing)
it should look sharper, but you'll have combing artifacts

Last edited:
Top Bottom