• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's HDMI 2.1 is currently capped at 32Gbps bandwidth.

What TV you would get or have for it?

• Total voters

yurinka

No VRR or ALLM doe.
Technically it doesnt support 2.1 cause it doesnt do VRR
PS5 was announced to feature VRR.

I assume they just didn't have time to have everything ready for launch and VRR is one of these things to be included a few weeks later via a firmware update, like to store PS5 games on external storage or the web browser. Or in case of Series X, Quick Resume support for all games.

Last edited:
My 1080p TV is ready :messenger_savoring:

Gotta wait until Sony A8H gets cheaper, best OLED on the market. While LG fanboys say otherwise, Sony quality is unbeatable. Panasonic OLED is bit better for pitch black home theater setups, but A8H is best living room OLED of 2020.

LG wins on the price and 2.1 features (that I dont think are that special). And LG oleds have gamma issues with VRR so it is not that good anyway.

Samsung.. well their quality is low and they just like to scam people by naming their LCD as QLED, to make people think it is similar to OLED. Too shady and nobody should support that. I have read so many times how people claim they have "samsung OLED" which is then just qled.

Only issue that I have with Sony TVs is that their quality is so good that if they dont have problems out of the box(there are always some bad units out there), then they are almost immortal. So, it is difficult to buy new one when old one still works after 20 000h or more of usage :messenger_open_mouth:

meech

What other bog standard “feature” are we going to make a thread about the Ps5? The fact it has a GIGABIT LAN PORT?

Products that conform to the STANDARD of HDMI 2.1 will require this bandwidth in order to be certified.

Nope. The Lg Cx has "only" 40 gbps 2.1 ports.

Jigga117

Nope. The Lg Cx has "only" 40 gbps 2.1 ports.
Which is all that any tv today with a 2.1 port needs. I still don't get how we still have people don't get this. 4k@120hz HDR 444 10bit & 8K@60hz only needs 40.1Gbps. The only benefit for 48Gbps provides is 4k@120hz 12bit 444. This will make sense on an actual 12bit display but it is irrelevant to point out any tv today with 48Gbps when none need or utilize it for that much bandwidth.

D-Dude

Did you activate X-Motion Clarity on the TV? Its fantastic to make games look clearer in motion with basically no downside. It should be great to make GoT look even nicer than it already does.

Yes, I am very happy with my tv especially the image quality. Did tweak it here and there but from the box it looked very good. My next tv will be in 5 years or so.. I don't know about OLED but everybody is talking about microled?

Jigga117

You have gimped-ass 40Gbps. But you shouldn't be worried because that's the 10-bit limit.
The. There is nothing gimped about it. Having 48 on any 10bit is pointless to state since we know what bandwidth is required for all available formats the display is supposed to support. No tv with 48Gbps 10bit display is gaining any benefit over any tv with 40Gbps.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The. There is nothing gimped about it. Having 48 on any 10bit is pointless to state since we know what bandwidth is required for all available formats the display is supposed to support. No tv with 48Gbps 10bit display is gaining any benefit over any tv with 40Gbps.

Yes, but 12-bit TV's are coming. So having a 48Gbps chipset in your console is future proofing. Hisense already released one since last year.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I think you just poked the hole that I already poked in the “this is the obscure tech reason that I don’t understand and barely matters that makes the ps5 better” that OP is attempting to make.
Jesus they really are taking the fact that the PS5 doesn’t WRECK anything all the time really hard.

This is some fucked up buyers remorse/trying to convince themselves they made the right choice.

This is another shitsnowman cobbled together from random bits to attempt to prove why it’s a HUGE EDGE over the Series S|X.

Also give me one solid source that the Series X ONLY uses 40gbps.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
people with a CX will be fine. 40gbps is fine for a 10 bit panel.

Anyone with most tv's now will be fine with 40Gbps. 48Gbps is aiming for the new 12-bit panels coming this year and beyond. It'll be time since they are the norm, but it's better to future proof.

Good thread Bo. FUD doesn't have long legs.

Not planning on gaming at 120 fps anytime soon though. Kinda a worrying trend to push for abnormally high framerates instead of pushing graphical boundaries.... but that would take a lot of resources with artists, engineers, programmers.... new engines etc.... some gamers falling for the marketing trick.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
A full 48Gbps port is great without a doubt. But is not really going to get put to full use this gen. LG and every other manufacturer that opted for the 40.1Gbps ports didn’t fuck up, they know how things are going to go for a fair few years.

Last edited:

Jigga117

Yes, but 12-bit TV's are coming. So having a 48Gbps chipset in your console is future proofing. Hisense already released one since last year.
This response has nothing to do with my response about you stating 40Gbps is gimped. It works as intended within the specs required and saying it is gimped when it isn't has nothing to do about future televisions offering 12-bit panels. You do understand how all this works right? The tv can be 12bit, the port can be 48Gbps but if the content doesn't support it wont matter. The main benefit will be Dolby Vision quality and even then that will be subjective as it is today based on the overall tv quality and processers. Once again the only benefit for 48Gbps is for 4k@120hz 12-bit. 40Gbps is still good if a display is 12bit for 4k@60hz 12bit.

Your trying to downplay todays tvs with a response about future tech and have no idea what we are going to get exactly.

Your talking about this Hisense that offers a 12bit panel yet has 3 HDMI 2.0 ports and doesn't provide any gaming related benefits?

Jigga117

I think you just poked the hole that I already poked in the “this is the obscure tech reason that I don’t understand and barely matters that makes the ps5 better” that OP is attempting to make.
Jesus they really are taking the fact that the PS5 doesn’t WRECK anything all the time really hard.

This is some fucked up buyers remorse/trying to convince themselves they made the right choice.

This is another shitsnowman cobbled together from random bits to attempt to prove why it’s a HUGE EDGE over the Series S|X.

Also give me one solid source that the Series X ONLY uses 40gbps.
The series X is 40Gbps and it has been known since The Hotchips release earlier this year. The same 40Gbps thats on the surround receivers which we found out the wrong hardware chip inside gives issues to support 4k@120hz to pass thru to the tv that supports it.

OverHeat

« generous god »
The series X is 40Gbps and it has been known since The Hotchips release earlier this year. The same 40Gbps thats on the surround receivers which we found out the wrong hardware chip inside gives issues to support 4k@120hz to pass thru to the tv that supports it.
???

CobraXT

Banned
Because you toggle it in game when it's implemented, just like DMC5.

Only if you choose 1080p as an output

But I have found that it can force a 1080p 120hz on my LG C9

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You indeed can’t play any dedicated version of Xbox Series games at 8k... they don't exists.

You can play the non-native Xbox Series ports at 4k.

When it exists, then you'll be able to play it.
So like the example I give in the first place... Series X is not HDMI 2.1 too? Because there is no game to prove it can output in 8k and 8k is mandatory for HDMI 2.1.

Last edited:

Aidah

Okay, so both PS5 and Nvidia cards are full bandwidth. Nice, I do have a panel with 48Gbps ports.

Also, you don't need a 12-bit panel in order for a 12-bit signal to bring some benefit, even with a 10-bit panel there can be some benefit to giving it a 12-bit signal. So, it's not just for future proofing.

Last edited:

cragarmi

PS5 was announced to feature VRR.

I assume they just didn't have time to have everything ready for launch and VRR is one of these things to be included a few weeks later via a firmware update, like to store PS5 games on external storage or the web browser. Or in case of Series X, Quick Resume support for all games.
It wasn't a priority when only a very small percentage of people using the console can take advantage of it. VRR should not be used as a crutch for poorly optimised code!. It will be here soon, with very little fanfare, enriching the lives of less than 1 percent of the user base. Meanwhile playstation games will target as stable frame rate as possible to ensure they keep the rest of their userbase happy, and encourage developers to do the same, using the dev tools provided, which aim for consistency above all.

Certinty

Having a B8, I’m not paying £1000+ on a new TV for a few games which support 120hz with a fair amount with heavily downgraded visuals. VRR interests me but no game should be screen tearing in the first place, I shouldn’t need a new TV to avoid that.

Nydus

Gold Member
Having a B8, I’m not paying £1000+ on a new TV for a few games which support 120hz with a fair amount with heavily downgraded visuals. VRR interests me but no game should be screen tearing in the first place, I shouldn’t need a new TV to avoid that.
I sold my B7 for 1100€ and bought a B9 for 1400€ new. So it was just a little investment.

mitchman

Gold Member
XSX supports 8K but maxes out at 10-bit (current panels). 48Gbps supports 12-bit that is coming next year and beyond.
My LG OLED B9 (2019 edition) supports the full 48Gbps bandwidth, as opposed to the 2020 panels only supporting 40Gbps. Not that it matters, though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
All LG OLED 2019 models have full 48Gbps bandwidth, just to put it out there.

If you have any 10-bit panel you shouldn't really care much. But console/device supporting 48Gbps would pay off in the future when 12-bit panels become the norm. So it's more of a future proofing, but 40Gbps is more than enough for remaining 10-bit panels in the market.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Only if you choose 1080p as an output

None of them are running native 4K at 120fps, crazy to even consider that. Seems PS5 is currently compatible with Sony Bravia XH90 that you can force 4K@120Hz all the time even when playing at 30fps, which helps for input lag to be around 6.5ms. Of course it's upscaling to 4K, or reconstructed internally.

x900h.jpg

DMC5 is 1080p@120fps on both consoles with PS5 vastly outperforming XSX by up to 50fps margin.

Riky

$MSFT
Nobody should buy a XH90 at the moment. Sony have been pushing this model as their PS5 TV but it has a serious blurring issue at 4k 120hz after the firmware update, hopefully Sony will fix this but they haven't put a date on it.

If you want a HDMI 2.1 TV either go LG or wait until next years models.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This response has nothing to do with my response about you stating 40Gbps is gimped. It works as intended within the specs required and saying it is gimped when it isn't has nothing to do about future televisions offering 12-bit panels. You do understand how all this works right? The tv can be 12bit, the port can be 48Gbps but if the content doesn't support it wont matter. The main benefit will be Dolby Vision quality and even then that will be subjective as it is today based on the overall tv quality and processers. Once again the only benefit for 48Gbps is for 4k@120hz 12-bit. 40Gbps is still good if a display is 12bit for 4k@60hz 12bit.

Your trying to downplay todays tvs with a response about future tech and have no idea what we are going to get exactly.

Your talking about this Hisense that offers a 12bit panel yet has 3 HDMI 2.0 ports and doesn't provide any gaming related benefits?

Well, I don't disagree with anything you've said if that's what you're asking. For the tv itself you shouldn't care if it's already a 10-bit panel. It's the other way around, the PS5 supporting 48Gbps helps future proofing for future 12-bit panels when they get to be the new standard in a few years starting with top tier in 2021.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nobody should buy a XH90 at the moment. Sony have been pushing this model as their PS5 TV but it has a serious blurring issue at 4k 120hz after the firmware update, hopefully Sony will fix this but they haven't put a date on it.

If you want a HDMI 2.1 TV either go LG or wait until next years models.

All tv's have their issues if you are following, you need to pick your poison:

CobraXT

Banned
None of them are running native 4K at 120fps, crazy to even consider that. Seems PS5 is currently compatible with Sony Bravia XH90 that you can force 4K@120Hz all the time even when playing at 30fps, which helps for input lag to be around 6.5ms. Of course it's upscaling to 4K, or reconstructed internally.

This is straw man argument right there
Let me be clear here, my point is that PS5 cannot output 4k signal while doing 120fps because it
have an old panasonic hdmi chip that max at 36Gbps of bandwidth, this is very important
because you dont want the TV to do the upscaling for the games .. XSX in the other hand can
do 4k/120 signal becaue it have at least 40Gbps of bandwidth , not the full bandwidth of 2.1
which is a bummer indeed but at least it can do 4K/120 signal

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is straw man argument right there
Let me be clear here, my point is that PS5 cannot output 4k signal while doing 120fps because it
have an old panasonic hdmi chip that max at 36Gbps of bandwidth, this is very important
because you dont want the TV to do the upscaling for the games .. XSX in the other hand can
do 4k/120 signal becaue it have at least 40Gbps of bandwidth , not the full bandwidth of 2.1
which is a bummer indeed but at least it can do 4K/120 signal

Where the fuck did you bring this FUD from? You know that 36.4Gbps is DP 1.4 bandwidth? Bring a solid source and cut the crap. And yes, PS5 has a full bandwidth of 48Gbps as reviewed by Techradar, and waiting for HDTVTest (Vincent) to clear it out. It shouldn't be less than 40Gbps in the worst case scenario, but it's most likely 48Gbps to support Sony's 8K Bravia TV's like ZH8 at upscaled 8K@60Hz.

So back off of this fucking FUD.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
have an old panasonic hdmi chip that max at 36Gbps of bandwidth
Ok, source? Please post the model number of that Panasonic HDMI chip here, or a screenshot.

Top Bottom