• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's variable frequencies DO affect performance between consoles?

From everything I've read, Returnal is a rock solid 60 fps. From my personal experience playing it, the later biomes where's a ton of particle effects and enemies on screen with projectiles flying everywhere, there's TONS of dropped frames and stutters. The PS5 REALLY struggles to run some parts in that game. Now, does that mean my PS5 is different or the reviewers just missed it? Being that it was one of the later levels and the game is procedurally generated, I'm going to say the latter.

GymWolf

Yeah, but this doesn't seem to happen when there's a lot of action going on specifically, it's more about what the environment is. There can be absolutely nothing going on at all, and in some environments there will always be slightly stuttering.

And yeah, Returnal is DEFINITELY not locked either. In some biomes it's more like a 50fps game.

Yeah, but the people who have actually measured performance are pretty much all saying it never drops a frame. Whereas I can constantly see dropped frames. Not like it's running at 55fps, but a duplicate frame here and there, resulting in visible judder.
Returnal hit the 30-40 fps in some moments if i remember well.

They are brief slowdowns but pretty annoying if you are used to locked framerate.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
From everything I've read, Returnal is a rock solid 60 fps. From my personal experience playing it, the later biomes where's a ton of particle effects and enemies on screen with projectiles flying everywhere, there's TONS of dropped frames and stutters. The PS5 REALLY struggles to run some parts in that game. Now, does that mean my PS5 is different or the reviewers just missed it? Being that it was one of the later levels and the game is procedurally generated, I'm going to say the latter.

Yeah, I had the same experience in that game. I have no idea how anyone who has actually played through the game could ever say it's locked 60. It's not even because it's procedurally generated (although that is a factor of course), certain biomes NEVER run locked.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Again, that's NOT how Sony/Cerny have said it works. The frequency throttling/boosting should not be affected by power draw or heat at all, but ONLY by what instructions are used. So it should be 100% deterministic and not depend on how hot your room is or anything. If it does work as you say they lied to us (which is exactly what I'm asking with this thread).

Again, I don't think it's supposed to work that way. It doesn't with any other console. Consoles are made to be fixed spec, unlike PCs where you can indeed have the variability you speak of.
Hmm but you still have realistically some fail safe for temperature or power draw. In normal condition, I would expect it to work like you are saying, but if it jumps to 90C for example (not sure why it would, but lets say it can) I would expect some throttling. Also can be various things, temperature as whole, for example memory chip which has to refresh data more often when hot and so on. Some pad could dry out and might be causing issues, you never know. I had X1X which later on started to drop frames far more than DF suggested, so I opened it and it was pad memory pad. I am not suggesting you to open the console, but if it runs worse than other consoles, it might be that.

Or maybe silicon lottery, this is all speculation, we don't have any data so far that would suggest that some PS5s runs game worse.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm but you still have realistically some fail safe for temperature or power draw. In normal condition, I would expect it to work like you are saying, but if it jumps to 90C for example (not sure why it would, but lets say it can) I would expect some throttling. Also can be various things, temperature as whole, for example memory chip which has to refresh data more often when hot and so on. Some pad could dry out and might be causing issues, you never know. I had X1X which later on started to drop frames far more than DF suggested, so I opened it and it was pad memory pad. I am not suggesting you to open the console, but if it runs worse than other consoles, it might be that.

Or maybe silicon lottery, this is all speculation, we don't have any data so far that would suggest that some PS5s runs game worse.

The fail safe is that if it starts overheating it will shut off before it it actually overheats. That's how all consoles have worked for a few decades. They never throttle like a PC or phone.

Last edited:

Arioco

Definitely it has nothing to do with variable clocks. It looks like the game is performing at it should, maybe people is playing the game with different patches applied to it and that causes differences?

Hard to tell if you can't compare it yourself. Don't you have any friend/relative with a PS5? If they had a new TV that tells you the frame rate it would be even better, but your bare eyes should do. I mean, even a single frame drop causes stutter and can be very annoying if it happens too often, so you would notice immediately. I would let you try mine but we probably live too far away from each other, and I don't even own the game so I can't tell my personal experience playing it, I can only trust what other people tell. But it would be weird if the game performed differently in different PS5s, I will say that much. That's not how it's supposed to work at all.

This was a big discussion topic before the PS5 was released. As we know, the console runs using variable CPU/GPU frequencies rather than the typical locked frequencies with variable power consumption. This means it can slightly downclock the GPU when there's not enough power to run it at max clock. We were told this would behave exactly the same on every PS5, so you would never see one PS5 performing worse than another due to slight differences in cooling efficiency or power delivery.

However, it seems like different PS5s ARE performing differently. Specifically in God of War Ragnarök, where most performance analyses swear the performance mode is 100% locked to 60fps and never drops a frame. Well, on my PS5 it does drop frames, rather consistently. It's not MUCH, but a frame here and there, mostly noticable as slight hitches or judder when panning the camera. I know what locked 60 looks like, and this is not it. Some parts of the game are a perfect 60, but most are not, and in a few environments it has been very obvious.

You can find some Reddit threads about this issue, but it doesn't seem to be very widespread. So either most people (including DF etc) are just blind to dropped frames, or most PS5s really are running this game better than mine.

So I was thinking about how this could be the case. Obviously it's not my specific copy of the game, so that made me think about the variable frequency. Were we lied to? Do some PS5s actual perform worse than others?

This is largely grossly ignorant of the way the variable GPU frequency on the PS5 works.

Yes, you're running the same games, but the variation in performance you're probably seeing is either a result of you doing different actions in the game, or actions that the technical reviewers may or may not have experimented with during their analysis.

Very rarely are console games 100% locked in performance in every possible scenario. To do so they'd be leaving too much performance on the table. The technical reviews, DF and such, would have been under time pressure to get their reviews out. So they obviously will not test every moment in the entire game. So it's unsurprising you've seen some dips that they might have missed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have a launch model DE and noticed hiccups in God of War Ragnarok in just one scene in Midgard but I reloaded the checkpoint and it was perfect again.
I’ve had the same thing happen on a myriad of consoles and PC games. Sometimes it’s just a caching hiccup. Software be that way, not just games.

skit_data

It could be a thing, boss. Gymwolf says Returnal drops for him a lot. I have 120 hours on that game and the drops I remember were when entering biome 3 from biome 2 probably due to level loading. It’s minor differences but I wouldn’t discard the potential.
On the higher levels of Tower of Sisyphus I got some bad frame drops but that makes sense, tons of enemies with tons of particle effects on a pretty small area

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The way modern games allocate resources dynamically all the time, it's not surprising if you have some variances in the same game on the same console in different runs.

SHA

I've been hearing performance degrading on consoles when they start showing their age for while and it's not something new , I heard from the same source it's better to replace it every 4 years and not to keep it especially if you're an active player , it's something to do with the silicon itself and not the architecture specifically , follow tech guys channels on YouTube, not all of them providing mainstream contests, some of them are actually go deeper into these types of discussions like RedGamingTech videos , this also happens on PC when they pass more than 5 to 7 years , they don't perform as they used to be , either ways it's pointless to keep them after that age.

RaZoR No1

How about the updated/revisioned PS5s?
Afaik the console has a power budget and depending on the load and budget it has, it can variably chamge it frequencies, but the latest revision of the PS5 uses less power than the release version.
Does this mean, the latest revision can always run on full power but the release version has to handle / play with the budget limit?

@OP, do you clean your PS5 often? Maybe it gets a bit hotter and downlocks a bit instead of shutting it down completely. Afaik heat is also bad for the SSD.
Maybe could try to run these scenarios without the faceplates and check if there are any differences.

Loxus

This was a big discussion topic before the PS5 was released. As we know, the console runs using variable CPU/GPU frequencies rather than the typical locked frequencies with variable power consumption. This means it can slightly downclock the GPU when there's not enough power to run it at max clock. We were told this would behave exactly the same on every PS5, so you would never see one PS5 performing worse than another due to slight differences in cooling efficiency or power delivery.

However, it seems like different PS5s ARE performing differently. Specifically in God of War Ragnarök, where most performance analyses swear the performance mode is 100% locked to 60fps and never drops a frame. Well, on my PS5 it does drop frames, rather consistently. It's not MUCH, but a frame here and there, mostly noticable as slight hitches or judder when panning the camera. I know what locked 60 looks like, and this is not it. Some parts of the game are a perfect 60, but most are not, and in a few environments it has been very obvious.

You can find some Reddit threads about this issue, but it doesn't seem to be very widespread. So either most people (including DF etc) are just blind to dropped frames, or most PS5s really are running this game better than mine.

So I was thinking about how this could be the case. Obviously it's not my specific copy of the game, so that made me think about the variable frequency. Were we lied to? Do some PS5s actual perform worse than others?
First of all,
PlayStation 5 uncovered: the Mark Cerny tech deep dive
"We don't use the actual temperature of the die, as that would cause two types of variance between PS5s," explains Mark Cerny. "One is variance caused by differences in ambient temperature; the console could be in a hotter or cooler location in the room. The other is variance caused by the individual custom chip in the console, some chips run hotter and some chips run cooler. So instead of using the temperature of the die, we use an algorithm in which the frequency depends on CPU and GPU activity information. That keeps behaviour between PS5s consistent."

PS5 has enough power to run the CPU and GPU at max clocks at the same time.
"There's enough power that both CPU and GPU can potentially run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."

One thing many people miss is this quote from Cerny.
"The CPU and GPU each have a power budget, of course the GPU power budget is the larger of the two," adds Cerny. "If the CPU doesn't use its power budget - for example, if it is capped at 3.5GHz - then the unused portion of the budget goes to the GPU."

The capped implies even though it's running at max frequency, it isn't using all it's power budget. Which makes any GPU downclocking extremely rare.

Also, Cerny somewhat explained a situation when the GPU consumes more power than usual, which causes the GPU to downclock to keep heat in check.

"It's about the minutiae of what's being displayed and how."
"It's counterintuitive but processing dense geometry typically consumes less power than processing simple geometry, which is why I suspect Horizon's map screen with its low triangle count makes my PS4 Pro heat up so much."

I know it can drop 1 frame in the 60fps mode, but I don't know if that's what you're experiencing.
9fXodhW.jpg

Are you sure you're not running it on unlocked 60fps?
dS79Ley.png

Maybe some links showing us the frame rate drop on the PS5 version would be nice to help us solve this mystery.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is largely grossly ignorant of the way the variable GPU frequency on the PS5 works.

Yes, you're running the same games, but the variation in performance you're probably seeing is either a result of you doing different actions in the game, or actions that the technical reviewers may or may not have experimented with during their analysis.

Very rarely are console games 100% locked in performance in every possible scenario. To do so they'd be leaving too much performance on the table. The technical reviews, DF and such, would have been under time pressure to get their reviews out. So they obviously will not test every moment in the entire game. So it's unsurprising you've seen some dips that they might have missed.

I know exactly how it's supposed to work lol, what I'm saying that if it does work that way it shouldn't be possible for me to be seeing stutter when all these "professional" analysts claim the performance is flawless. Hence my confusion.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How about the updated/revisioned PS5s?
Afaik the console has a power budget and depending on the load and budget it has, it can variably chamge it frequencies, but the latest revision of the PS5 uses less power than the release version.
Does this mean, the latest revision can always run on full power but the release version has to handle / play with the budget limit?

@OP, do you clean your PS5 often? Maybe it gets a bit hotter and downlocks a bit instead of shutting it down completely. Afaik heat is also bad for the SSD.
Maybe could try to run these scenarios without the faceplates and check if there are any differences.

I clean it externally, I'm not in there with cans of compressed air and stuff. But the thing is that this SHOULDN'T matter. If the PS5 works the way Cerny said it works, then the dustiest, dirtiest PS5 on the planet should perform EXACTLY the same as a brand new one (until it overheats and shuts down).

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I finished Ragnarok's main quest yesterday, after ~52 hours of gameplay.
I noticed stuttering 5 times during my whole playthrough. It was always after changing areas, and never during action packed scenes.

I'm playing on my release-day PS5.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
First of all,
PlayStation 5 uncovered: the Mark Cerny tech deep dive
"We don't use the actual temperature of the die, as that would cause two types of variance between PS5s," explains Mark Cerny. "One is variance caused by differences in ambient temperature; the console could be in a hotter or cooler location in the room. The other is variance caused by the individual custom chip in the console, some chips run hotter and some chips run cooler. So instead of using the temperature of the die, we use an algorithm in which the frequency depends on CPU and GPU activity information. That keeps behaviour between PS5s consistent."

PS5 has enough power to run the CPU and GPU at max clocks at the same time.
"There's enough power that both CPU and GPU can potentially run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."

One thing many people miss is this quote from Cerny.
"The CPU and GPU each have a power budget, of course the GPU power budget is the larger of the two," adds Cerny. "If the CPU doesn't use its power budget - for example, if it is capped at 3.5GHz - then the unused portion of the budget goes to the GPU."

The capped implies even though it's running at max frequency, it isn't using all it's power budget. Which makes any GPU downclocking extremely rare.

Also, Cerny somewhat explained a situation when the GPU consumes more power than usual, which causes the GPU to downclock to keep heat in check.

"It's about the minutiae of what's being displayed and how."
"It's counterintuitive but processing dense geometry typically consumes less power than processing simple geometry, which is why I suspect Horizon's map screen with its low triangle count makes my PS4 Pro heat up so much."

I know it can drop 1 frame in the 60fps mode, but I don't know if that's what you're experiencing.
9fXodhW.jpg

Are you sure you're not running it on unlocked 60fps?
dS79Ley.png

Maybe some links showing us the frame rate drop on the PS5 version would be nice to help us solve this mystery.

I do think what I'm seeing is single frame drops here and there, yes. But it's not like one dropped frame per hour, in some cases it's rather noticably juddery. Kinda like it renders 60 frames per second but a few of them are duplicated, leading to visible stutter.

What video is that screenshot from?

No, HFR isn't possible to enable at all since I don't have a VRR capable TV (the option is greyed out).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Framerate are usually never locked on console, even when df try the first 10 hours of the game that are usually not the one with absolute hell on screen.

Their test methodology has always been flawed.

I always had hiccups on any "locked" console game, most people just don't care\notice, especially when you have guys saying that stuff like returnal is locked when the fucking game has gigantic slowdowns every 2x3 with hell on screen.
Any time I see the word "locked" I just assume it's rock solid 95% of the time. That prevents disappointed on my end. If it's 99% or it really is 100% all the better.

Just to prove how locked is wrong most of the time, when the tests sites do their sample frames test on 10 or 20 minutes of gameplay almost all games have some hitching. Even if it's only 5 frames out of 10,000, that technically isn't locked. And that's only them testing maybe 3% of the entire game.

As for different sites doing testing (DF, NX, VG Tech), their final results can be misleading too ---> if gamers treat them as equals. Each site tests different parts of the game. And even if the sites test a similar part of the game, it'll be tested at different lengths of time. So the comparisons have to be accepted by gamers as individual tests than seeing if one site is better than the other.

If the sites do test the same area and still have different results, that makes it even harder to compare who is right.

All I gather from all the comparisons is PS5 is punching above it's weight and the Series X has some sort of ball and chain holding it back.
They are so similar that it's a wash.

proandrad

Although rare, I have ran into this issue. Closing the game app and restarting it fixes the issue 100% of the time for me.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Mines more or less flawless in ragnorak, some small stutters but nothing as bad as previous generations of consoles.

These have been crazy solid to be honest.

Ragnarok 100% drops frames in Vanaheim confirmed by the FPS counter on my LG.

I guess they just didn't test the whole game rather than something to do with variable clocks but I dunno.

I know exactly how it's supposed to work lol, what I'm saying that if it does work that way it shouldn't be possible for me to be seeing stutter when all these "professional" analysts claim the performance is flawless. Hence my confusion.

Did you read my post?

It's absolutely possible to see stutter that the professional analysts didn't see.

Games are not movies. They are interactive software applications. Therefore the computational workloads will vary with what's going on on the screen, which is a function of human controller input.

If your playthrough forced you into gameplay scenarios with more enemies on-screen, utilizing more moves that generate more particle effects, physics computation and VFX, then you would see performance differ from what the technical analysts see.

The flaw in your logic is that you assume the technical analysts did a full and comprehensive, exhaustive analysis of the game's performance, across every moment of gameplay from the opening intro to the end credits. You don't have to be a genius to see how that's not practical and not a reasonable expectation.

DF and other tech analysts would have played less of the game than you did, in order to get their technical reviews out in time to maximize clicks.

So instead of jumping to the conclusion that the explanation for the difference in your experience is something to do with the PS5 hardware---and even more specifically the variable GPU clocks---you should have taken a step back to see that the faaaaaaaaar more obvious conclusion is that DF and co. didn't do that thorough a job in their analysis and so were not 100% correct.... I mean it's not the first time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did you read my post?

It's absolutely possible to see stutter that the professional analysts didn't see.

Games are not movies. They are interactive software applications. Therefore the computational workloads will vary with what's going on on the screen, which is a function of human controller input.

If your playthrough forced you into gameplay scenarios with more enemies on-screen, utilizing more moves that generate more particle effects, physics computation and VFX, then you would see performance differ from what the technical analysts see.

The flaw in your logic is that you assume the technical analysts did a full and comprehensive, exhaustive analysis of the game's performance, across every moment of gameplay from the opening intro to the end credits. You don't have to be a genius to see how that's not practical and not a reasonable expectation.

DF and other tech analysts would have played less of the game than you did, in order to get their technical reviews out in time to maximize clicks.

So instead of jumping to the conclusion that the explanation for the difference in your experience is something to do with the PS5 hardware---and even more specifically the variable GPU clocks---you should have taken a step back to see that the faaaaaaaaar more obvious conclusion is that DF and co. didn't do that thorough a job in their analysis and so were not 100% correct.... I mean it's not the first time.

You didn't read my posts. The stutter doesn't happen specifically when there's an unusual amount of action on screen, but when just standing still with absolutely nothing going on, just panning the camera around. Some environments will ALWAYS produce stutter, even with nothing going on. That even includes the very first environment you're in (the forest around the cottage), I noticed this issue within like 30 minutes of starting the game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The way modern games allocate resources dynamically all the time, it's not surprising if you have some variances in the same game on the same console in different runs.
Yep, even happens often in Windows when using software (Office, etc) there. Cell phones, etc..

Multithreading and caching be that way.

How would that be possible? The hardware is the hardware, it has it's "max" frequency. Are we implying that maybe some of us got hardware that can't reach 2.23 ghz? If this is the case then this should be an issue for not only GOWR but all game played on the specific piece of hardware. Isn't it the software is what's telling the hardware to adjust the frequence? If the software is the same, the game, then performance should be the same across the board since it's all the same hardware.

IDK I am not a hardware engineer, but this can't be the ONLY cpu/gpu that uses variable frequency, so I don't know if what I said above makes any sense or is just completely uninformed.

Crayon

As I understand it, the clocks are actually trimmed according to a sort of fixed map of a worst-case chip. It's just a different way of hiding the varience. Should be even more effective than leaving a bunch of power headroom on the table. I'm no computer scientist tho.

You didn't read my posts. The stutter doesn't happen specifically when there's an unusual amount of action on screen, but when just standing still with absolutely nothing going on, just panning the camera around. Some environments will ALWAYS produce stutter, even with nothing going on. That even includes the very first environment you're in (the forest around the cottage), I noticed this issue within like 30 minutes of starting the game.

The issue is that you think there is nothing going on. Performance issues can be a result of background loading or any number of other things. Just because there's little on-screen doesn't mean the game and engine are doing nothing at all under the hood.

Regardless, you're missing the point, which is that the performance issues you're seeing are not a result of variable GPU clocks, but rather much more likely just plain old game performance issues that DF and their ilk very likely missed in their rush to get a technical review completely to maximize clicks.

You're jumping to the wrong (and most bizarre conclusion) to explain something that is the result of something far more mundane and obvious.

DinoD

You have an inferior version of PS5. You have been stooged. It's the one with serial number xxxx.yy.z which has a bit less of that liquid mental.

Three

OP what you are saying can be tested easily with 2 PS5s during a variable framerate cutscene in any other games. Are you suggesting that it lowers clock based on temp, background tasks or what?

Other games are locked 60fps for me, so no, not an HDMI thing.

VRR and HFR are off (can't even enable it since I don't have a VRR capable TV).

I'm not the only one, there are videos of it. For example (not my video):

I reached this specific area a few days ago, and it was one of the most stuttery for me too.

There's no way they would accept this as a warranty issue just for a few dropped frames. I know how these things work, they would 100% ship it back to me saying nothing is wrong with it. It's not like games are crashing or anything.

Miy TV doesn't do VRR and doesn't that thank fuck.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
OP what you are saying can be tested easily with 2 PS5s during a variable framerate cutscene in any other games. Are you suggesting that it lowers clock based on temp, background tasks or what?

I'm not really suggesting anything. Only that a lot of people are claiming this game runs flawlessly at 60fps, while on my PS5 it definitely does not. And I wonder why that is.

I am guessing a bit here.
The PS5 variable frequency comes into play when the GPU and CPU are in demanding scenes and they have a thermal budget. If one PS5 doesn't run as cool as another one, it might makes sense that it will drop frequency when.it hits the thermal limit.
PS5 has had a number of revisions which included less heat sinks than others. Not sure if that could be giving different results.
The.whole flaw in the PS5 variable frequency is that it doesn't give a boost higher when a game demands it, when a game scene is really demanding on the GPU or CPU this is the exact time where the frequency drops.
The exact time you want Max performance is when you don't get it either.

SpokkX

I dont think they differ. I noticed some minor drops when panning the camera in some areas.. like down to 58 for a second or so - I am reallly sensitive to fps overall and this most people would not see

Last edited:

Danknugz

I'm not really suggesting anything. Only that a lot of people are claiming this game runs flawlessly at 60fps, while on my PS5 it definitely does not. And I wonder why that is.
i'm not too familiar with how ps5 works but if it's constantly changing clock sped as you mentioned, there's a concept with overclocking CPUs, with some chips that don't overclock as well as others (being the same exact model) and they get binned or separated out from the rest. i guess it's possible that some form of this is occurring here.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I dont think they differ. I noticed some minor drops when panning the camera in some areas.. like down to 58 for a second or so - I am reallly sensitive to fps overall and this most people would not see

Yeah, but it's strange to me that many aren't seeing it (not even DF). To me there's a very obvious visual difference between a locked 60 (which feels smooth) and the slight stuttering these dropped frames cause (even if there aren't many of them). But maybe I am just very sensitive to any break in that fluidity, guess not everyone is.

I'm not someone that can tell if a game drops one frame for a split second, so I have found GoW Ragnarok to be pretty much rock solid in the 60fps performance mode.

Even during one particularly hectic boss battle, which has massive amounts of stuff going on it, it still felt consistently smooth.

Top Bottom